• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Boogiepop

Right, so I finished the nice little Young Avengers Omnibus last night. Really glad I found out about it and grabbed it, as it's a nice capstone to the JiM Loki story.

Also, I just realized I think I read most/all of Gillen Uncanny X-men, and... I don't recall much of those stories and think I found them just okay. Like, the only two that I recall standing out are ironically the ones that were kind of tie-ins to bad events, with the Fear Itself stuff and the Sinister stuff that was happening during AvX.

I see he also did a Beta Ray Bill, Thor, and Iron Man. How are those? Because I really, really liked his JiM and Young Avengers...

CBR: DC Comics Letting Creators Define the "Look and Style" of DC You, Says DiDio

Youtube Video: 24 New Books Will Change the Future of DC

"We're broadening the horizons of what we publish," Co-Publisher Jim Lee told the newspaper. "We're bringing in fresh new voices from the creator pool. We are publishing different kinds of artwork that you may not have found traditionally published at DC. We're welcoming old fans and new fans to that experience."

"When we did the 'New 52,' we knew it brought in a lot of new readers," Lee continued. "What we've seen in the four years since, is that there were a lot of readers out there who didn't necessarily have big voices in our industry. Female readers, the LGBT community ... we have this big amazing universe to tell lots of diverse stories. We feel that it is the future of our business. It's not going to just happen naturally. ... I think if our goal is to mirror the diversity that is our readership, we need to move with some speed and some sense of purpose."

The video is actually pretty interesting.

Plastic Man 2004

d9yLUwT.jpg

Can't even begin to imagine how many drugs Baker took to pull this book off.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Plastic Man 2004

Can't even begin to imagine how many drugs Baker took to pull this book off.

When is DC going to actually put this run in a collected edition? I've wanted to read this for forever.
Okay, let's be real here: I don't want to read it, I just want it on my shelf.

Batman Beyond was OK to pretty good. It's kind of weird that we're really going to go down the path of "Tim inserts himself into every part of Terry's life in a weird doppelganger replacement", right off the bat. I mean these are nostalgia things that only Terry fans would know so why include them? Why not make a fresh break.
It's Dan Jurgens. It was bound to be disappointing. His books are like elementary school cafeteria PB&J.

No Inhumans on that Marvel 52 banner. WELP. at least we getting Turok.

styl3s

Has anyone read any of these non-bolded issues? Haven't been able to swing by my LCS in over a week so i have to pick up last weeks issues i wanted and this weeks so i am trying to trim some of the fat before i go because i would rather not spend $100+ on books today. Out of the non-bolded the Renew, Journal and MODOK seem really interesting.

Years of Future Past #1
Battleword #2
Secret Wars #3
Groot #1

X-Tinction Agenda #1
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #1
Giant Size Little Marvel #1
Armor Wars #1
Future Imperfect #1
Marvel Zombies #1
Secret Wars 2099 #1
Secret Wars 2099 #2
Spider-Verse #2
Spider-Gwen #5

Ultimate End #2
Old Man Logan #1
Infinity Guantlet #1

Secret Wars Journal #1
Secret Wars Journal #2
Uncanny Avengers Ultron Forever #1
Inferno #1
MODOK Assassin #1

I didn't actually read up on GROOT before it launched. Have there been any hints that this book takes place post-Secret Wars, or are we just supposed to fit it into the timeline before 616 went to shit?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Has anyone read any of these non-bolded issues? Haven't been able to swing by my LCS in over a week so i have to pick up last weeks issues i wanted and this weeks so i am trying to trim some of the fat before i go because i would rather not spend $100+ on books today. Out of the non-bolded the Renew, Journal and MODOK seem really interesting.

Secret Wars Journal #1 was really good.

first half seems to tie into A-Force & Siege, with some pre-SW Young Avengers love thrown in for good measure.

second half was pretty weird, but fun.

X-tinction Agenda was a bit boring
Giant Sized AvX was good
Armor Wars was bloody sterile
Future Imperfect was worth a read
Secret Wars 2099 was meh
Secret Wars Journal #1 was first half ok, second half absolutely terrible
Ultron Forever was ok
Modok Assassin was terrific.

Renew Your Vows was okay. Some parts were really dumb and some parts were really okay.

Drayco21

I didn't actually read up on GROOT before it launched. Have there been any hints that this book takes place post-Secret Wars, or are we just supposed to fit it into the timeline before 616 went to shit?

It seems about as concerned about Secret Wars continuity as it is about cosmic continuity; it seems like it's just in 616 before the Incursion and we should all just not think about it too hard.

Renew Your Vows kinda sucked, in the way every Slott Spider book has sucked since Ends of the Earth.
Future Imperfect was pretty rad.
Secret Wars 2099 was alright.
Ultimate End was a bunch of incoherent nonsense about absolutely nothing.
Secret Wars Journal feels like the most skippable, forgettable Secret Wars tie-in so far.
Inferno was okay. I had no real strong feeling either way.
MODOK was pretty good.

styl3s

Secret Wars Journal #1 was really good.

first half seems to tie into A-Force & Siege, with some pre-SW Young Avengers love thrown in for good measure.

second half was pretty weird, but fun.

X-tinction Agenda was a bit boring
Giant Sized AvX was good
Armor Wars was bloody sterile
Future Imperfect was worth a read
Secret Wars 2099 was meh
Secret Wars Journal #1 was first half ok, second half absolutely terrible
Ultron Forever was ok
Modok Assassin was terrific.

Renew Your Vows was okay. Some parts were really dumb and some parts were really okay.
I will add MODOK, Journal #1 (if i like it ill pick up #2 next week), Future and skim through Renew/2099. 2099 only interest me because i have some weird fascination with future marvel.

Thanks for the replies!

Current list of buy is
Years of Future Past #1
Battleword #2
Secret Wars #3
Groot #1
Giant Size Little Marvel #1
Future Imperfect #1
Marvel Zombies #1
Spider-Verse #2
Spider-Gwen #5
Old Man Logan #1
Infinity Gauntlet #1
Secret Wars Journal #1 (if i like ill get #2 next week)
MODOK Assassin #1
Uncanny Avengers Ultron Forever #1

I feel like it's still a lot but i guess it's not really considering it's 2 weeks worth and i don't buy DC stuff
i don't hate DC just none of the pre and post convergence stuff interest me

Zombine

Banned
In the All New All Different ComicGAF I will be playing the role of GH, GH will be playing the role of Messi, and Kipp will be playing the role of me. Flithy Slug is a universal constant and the name Kipp will cease to exist but his personality will live on in my comic body. Korrupt's origin will be re-written to being the child of Bromates Tyrant Rave and JC, who themselves will be drawn to be more young and sexual. Fauxtrot and Core-anus will merge and make one average member who equally enjoys meat and vegetable shit, Freeza will continue to be banned until his epic return to free all the new members (who are no longer X-Men but have instead been infected by the Terrogen Mist.)

Cade Will continue to not read comics. Sarah will continue to be a Messi alt. Echo shifting will continue to be a cyborg but will now be a sexy cyborg woman. Eneiz will continue to be mad at everything. Psychbat will be a universal constant.

Coming in September.

Edit: Everyone who thinks they were forgotten haven't been. You're all being saved for wave 2 when these Tumblr Shite members get canceled.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I like MetaComicsGAF.

What if none of this is real? What if we are the comic books?

Or an even scarier thought: What if NO comics are actually canon and we've been reading all this stuff for NO REASON!?

In the All New All Different ComicGAF I will be playing the role of GH, GH will be playing the role of Messi, and Kipp will be playing the role of me. Flithy Slug is a universal constant and the name Kipp will cease to exist but his personality will live on in my comic body. Korrupt's origin will be re-written to being the child of Bromates Tyrant Rave and JC, who themselves will be drawn to be more young and sexual. Fauxtrot and Core-anus will merge and make one average member who equally enjoys meat and vegetable shit, Freeza will continue to be banned until his epic return to free all the new members, who are no longer X-Men but have instead been infected by the Terrogen Mist.

Cade Will continue to not read comics. Sarah will continue to be a Messi alt. Echo shifting will continue to be a cyborg but will now be a sexy cyborg woman. Eneiz will continue to be mad at everything. Psychbat will be a universal constant.

Coming in September.

Hahaha.
I'd buy the TPB of that.
Ehhhh. I'd wait for the OHC.

tim1138

In the All New All Different ComicGAF I will be playing the role of GH, GH will be playing the role of Messi, and Kipp will be playing the role of me. Flithy Slug is a universal constant and the name Kipp will cease to exist but his personality will live on in my comic body. Korrupt's origin will be re-written to being the child of Bromates Tyrant Rave and JC, who themselves will be drawn to be more young and sexual. Fauxtrot and Core-anus will merge and make one average member who equally enjoys meat and vegetable shit, Freeza will continue to be banned until his epic return to free all the new members, who are no longer X-Men but have instead been infected by the Terrogen Mist.

Coming in September.

Damn, I got retconned out of existence with the F4 and X-Men.

Zombine

Banned
Damn, I got retconned out of existence with the F4 and X-Men.

Tim you're round 2. You come into play after nobody wants to buy their book like nobody wants to join JC's Comic Club. Fortunately for you your origins will stay the same, but you will get a quirky visual overhaul and will be drawn by a knockoff Scottie Young.

I told tou guys I didn't forget you! You're round 2. This is key because you guys won't get canceled.

Vito wil be have his origin story written by Ales Kot.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo All New Comics-Gaf. I got to hug Kipp last night, so that's one off the list. I'm coming for the rest of y'all.

Bii

Tim you're round 2. You come into play after nobody wants to buy their book like nobody wants to join JC's Comic Club. Fortunately for you your origins will stay the same, but you will get a quirky visual overhaul and will be drawn by a knockoff Scottie Young.

I told tou guys I didn't forget you! You're round 2. This is key because you guys won't get canceled.

Don't you mean Skottie and not Scott....ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Messi

I will accept Peter as the best Spiderman if the new Marvel universe makes AmeriKate real.

Please also give Magik her own book or make her a team leader again.

tim1138

WYlQe6G.png

It seems about as concerned about Secret Wars continuity as it is about cosmic continuity; it seems like it's just in 616 before the Incursion and we should all just not think about it too hard.

Yeah which is cool. Glad its just a fun book where you dont have to worry about other shit. Hope it gets a nice tight run with consistent art.

Hey, hey. You underestimate what my popularity will be once I'm out from under Messi's shadow and have a good writer!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
you keep reading Stray Bullets, I'll hug you myself

that's not a threat, that's a promise
Second I get outta this state and get home, I'm catching up on Stray Bullets. And then never reading comics again.

Top Bottom