• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Calcium

Banned
I actually like most of the first half of TLW but it goes downhill after the velociraptor volley. Always loved the high grass scene.

lw-17.gif

Nope.

tim1138

I want to be excited for Jurassic World, but man I think it's gonna be god awful.
All I want is a good dinosaur movie that's up to date with science and the dinosaurs have feathers.

Calcium

Banned

mreddie

Fuck the haters, I liked Lost World only because Goldblum and my crush on Julianne.

And one of the most brutal deaths in a PG13 film...

tumblr_lzgcxnNjUg1rpdvglo1_500.gif

Calcium

Banned
T-Rex and raptors are still believed to have had feathers, which is in line with what I've always read. Can you imagine how insane a feathered sauropod would look? A Brachiosaur rocking some insane multicolored crest.

Yeah, but they are always going to go back and forth on the subject. In a few months they'll probably change their minds again. I'm with you, though. I think a movie with feathered dinosaurs would rock. For now I'm content with what Jurassic World is offering.

tim1138

Yeah, but they are always going to go back and forth on the subject. In a few months they'll probably change their minds again. I'm with you, though. I think a movie with feathered dinosaurs would rock. For now I'm content with what Jurassic World is offering.

I saw a great museum exhibit seven or eight years ago that had awesome models of all the various feathered raptors and what the feather patterns would have looked like on T-Rex, it was super cool. The fuzzy down baby T-Rex was so neat looking.

mreddie

Next week's pull list...

CAROL CORPS #1
CAPTAIN FALCON AND MIGHTY AVENGERS #9
SILK #5
SPIDER-VERSE #2

Plus, I'm gonna see if this Gotham Academy is any good.

Hold on to your butt...

The original JP might be my favorite movie of all time
I still remember seeing the dinosaurs in the field and got the biggest chills ever. Just like the actors. Dinosaurs alive. We finally had the cinema technology to do it right. Just was stunned in the theater.

Drayco21

I like all the movies.

Agreed. Maybe's it's just because of my age when it came out (it's probably just that, actually), but I'll still sit down and watch Jurassic Park 3 whenever. I thought Lost World was pretty good too.

I'm sure I'll be cool with Jurassic World too. I mean, Chris Pratt is leading a pack of raptors in those trailers; how bad could it possibly be?

tim1138

I still remember seeing the dinosaurs in the field and got the biggest chills ever. Just like the actors. Dinosaurs alive. We finally had the cinema technology to do it right. Just was stunned in the theater.

That scene still gives me chills.
Seeing it in 3D a couple years ago was like the coolest thing ever.

That scene still gives me chills.
Seeing it in 3D a couple years ago was like the coolest thing ever.
And it's great because it wasn't like the opening scene. Just like a great horror film you see glimpses, you have teases, you build anticipation and then bam! The jeep stops and you see the valley of dinosaurs! Hells ya

tim1138

And it's great because it wasn't like the opening scene. Just like a great horror film you see glimpses, you have teases, you build anticipation and then bam! The jeep stops and you see the valley of dinosaurs! Hells ya

And let's not forget the absolutely brilliant score

zennyzz

I don't think Brevoot's suggestion is wrong. I just consider that they're not considering the opposite end of the spectrum in that shorter runs before rebranding may cause buyer confusion.

Course that's only an issue if they don't date em or change the titles

Squire

Banned
He's saying that the number on the book doesn't matter but that they're going to keep rebranding back to #1 because numbers matter and make money, just on the low end, in their eyes.

He was asked about his feelings in the books not climbing high with their numbers. That's notably different. I really don't see anything wrong with his response. I'm actually sort of impressed by it.

Saying outright that the top priority is to keep the comics profitable and the creative partners satisfied is so much more candid an answer than you'll typically get from someone working at an entertainment company the size/value of Marvel.

frye

i still don't get how that's a spin. isn't he literally answering the question being asked of him in a straightforward manner

i still don't get how that's a spin. isn't he literally answering the question being asked of him in a straightforward manner

He's saying the number on the book doesn't matter but that they renumber because lower numbers are more profitable so the numbers actually do matter?

there’s no real specific difference between #100, #99 or #64, other than what we choose to invest in it.

If I have good comic books, I’m not worried about what number it is.

So why renumber? If the number doesn't matter just make every issue a #1 and move past the farce.

Or don't even number them at all since the number is meaningless.

frye

He's saying the number on the book doesn't matter but that they renumber because lower numbers are more profitable so the numbers actually do matter?

So why renumber? If the number doesn't matter just make every issue a #1 and move past the farce.

Wait am i being fucked with here?? He says they renumber because it makes them money in that thing you quoted

Squire

Banned
Tom Breevort and the ten-year old walking out of Age of Ultron with his mom who's looking to get into comics now are two starkly different individuals. Tom is answering for himself. That was the question.

Squire

Banned
#1s matter. They pull in people who think it's the ground floor. The other numbers not so much.

Yes, but...

Nrama: Point taken. Getting back to seasons and as you say the end of the idea of high-numbered series, as a long-time fan yourself that understands other long-time fans, will you miss the era of long-running series at all?

The original question is being misconstrued. Tom was asked about himself and so answered accordingly.

#1s matter. They pull in people who think it's the ground floor. The other numbers not so much.

Basically. He's saying that numbering was a trick and that it doesn't actually matter even as they use numbering as a trick, just on the other end of the spectrum. Artificially inflated number #1s, acting as if the stories can't stand on their own and need a gimmick to "trick" people into getting them.

So the numbers do matter.

But he says they don't.

But they do.

zennyzz

Basically. He's saying that numbering was a trick and that it doesn't actually matter even as they use numbering as a trick, just on the other end of the spectrum. Artificially inflated number #1s, acting as if the stories can't stand on their own and need a gimmick to "trick" people into getting them.

So the numbers do matter.

But he says they don't.

But they do.

You're adding things to his statement that are not there.

You're adding things to his statement that are not there.

The only thing I'm adding is why you'd renumber to #1. And that's just obvious based on his making money comment later in the statement.

I guess I look at it this way; if you don't feel numbers matter why number at all?

Who knows, maybe come October, they won't.

Top Bottom