• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

bengraven

Maybe I should wait a year before I set up a pull box. For them to realize some Post-secret Wars things are really bad ideas and then re-reboot the series back to #1 with something more normal.

zennyzz

Maybe I should wait a year before I set up a pull box. For them to realize some Post-secret Wars things are really bad ideas and then re-reboot the series back to #1 with something more normal.

What's wrong with the currently revealed post secret wars books?

Well what do you think are bad ideas?

It's not a reboot anyways. They're just deleting the Ultimate universe (took long enough) and bringing what they feel is worth saving to the main universe.

Sounds like a pretty boring way to choose your pulls, sticking with whatever is "normal." But hey to each their own.

And that's fine. Like I said to each their own. But are we talking about types of stories or just team makeups? Do we really have much indication yet from ANAD what types of stories they're going to be telling in these books?

If you're a Batman reader who just wants to see Bruce beating ass and detectiving then the upcoming run could be off putting. Same for the Marvel stuff. States of change and transition can be worrying for someone who is used to a certain rhythm of storytelling.

Ok, those Game of Thrones spoilers are fucked up and I've read the books.

bctDV8f.gif

The flip side is that not all change is for the better.

True. However! Let's return to the original comment.

First of all, of course there's going to be some standard fare in the post-SW world. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is going to be a "normal" Spider-Man book, for example. So for even the most conservative reader to hold back entirely on a pull box because of a belief that there isn't going to be enough of this material doesn't make sense to me.

Bengraven expresses a desire...maybe not a desire, at least a prediction...that "some" of these books, which are really bad ideas (no stated examples), will fail and be replaced with whatever is normal for those characters. So why can't we have both? Isn't a healthy DC or Marvel one that is satisfying both the conservative reader and the reader who is always looking for something even a little bit different?

Messi

What if I didn't walk into that comic shop in Florida? What if the guy behind the counter hadn't sold me on Snyder Batman and Saga? I wouldn't be here and you guys would be able to talk about comics books. Absolutely disgusting.

And yet it's given us some of the absolute best, consistent runs on characters: re: Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Lemire Green Arrow, etc.

:mjcry

You forgot Catwoman

tim1138

Wasn't that freaking amazing? I went in knowing next to nothing, and when I finished it I felt like it was the best image book of the month.

I agree completely. All I knew about it was that Robinson was writing, I had no clue the narrative was going to be structured that way at all. Just a brilliant comic from start to end.

Owzers

Wonder Woman turned into a disappointment for me, much like the New 52 in general. Chiang pretty much left the last half of the series and it never went beyond baby stuff.

Zombine

Banned
I agree completely. All I knew about it was that Robinson was writing, I had no clue the narrative was going to be structured that way at all. Just a brilliant comic from start to end.

I don't want to spoil it, but the best comparison I can think of is that it's the comic version of Clerks + Birdman.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah I think that Birdman comparison is the best way to describe it. Basically you just need to read and experience it.

Seriously people give it a shot. I needed that book last night after all the capes stuff. The dialogue was incredibly organic and fun. It's the perfect book for people who enjoy the industry.

Edit: As another thought while I'm running thinking about the book, I think it captured that mentality that all the young people in the 90s had. This book is definitely for the MTV, Beavis & Butthead crew that are now floating around 25 years later becoming the people they didn't want to be.

Messi

I believe it's an on-going webcomic.

Ongoing webcomic that he is now publishing. Nowhere near finished by his own plan.

He also redoes loads of the art for the trades. Which is a big improvement imo. It had been quite a while since the first volume and he improved loads.

Sejic says his story has 20 chapters mapped out split into 4 five chapter sections. Each section focuses on one of the couples in the group of friends. Ally and Lisa being the main ones.

He also redoes loads of the art for the trades. Which is a big improvement imo. It had been quite a while since the first volume and he improved loads.

I did not know this tidbit; I'm staying away from the web comics to save myself for the trades. Just took for granted that the art is as spectacular as it is.

Messi

I did not know this tidbit; I'm staying away from the web comics to save myself for the trades. Just took for granted that the art is as spectacular as it is.

CAZ9Ku7WsAAfqtF.jpg

Right is the new art. Not even the most stark difference

You should just wait for the trades. You are getting the best experience and you have some great stuff coming up.

I read lots of kids' comics like Marvel UK Transformers and stuff like Power Rangers when I was very young, but the Marvel Collector's Editions made me a long-term fan of comics.

I still have this:

They were UK reprints that were about two years behind the US, though they have caught up to about a year. Astonishing Spider-Man is well ahead of the others now, it's on Spider-Verse and most of the other books are on Original Sin tie-ins.

Titan just got into the game as well since they are doing DC New 52 reprint books, they have three Batman books, Justice League Trinity and Green Arrow/The Flash.

I've been into comics ever since, apart from a short break after Secret Invasion due to no job.

Right is the new art. Not even the most stark difference

You should just wait for the trades. You are getting the best experience and you have some great stuff coming up.

I think you mean left.

And yeah. I know if I read the webcomics I'll end up putting off buying the trades indefinitely, so I'm not going to do that. Sejic deserves all my money for this fantastic work.

Which standard MA transitioned into.

Was it really canceled? The fact it had a clean ending and advertised Cap & TMA on the last page makes me think they planned that out.

Good run either way.

I don't think so. "Marvel Now" seems to have started a strategy where books consist of self contained "arcs" of 15-40 issues or so, that close out then relaunch with different branding.
Makes it easier for readers to determine jumping on and jumping off points, and provides marvel with lots of #1s to put on shelves.

Messi

I think you mean left.

And yeah. I know if I read the webcomics I'll end up putting off buying the trades indefinitely, so I'm not going to do that. Sejic deserves all my money for this fantastic work.

Yeah I did mean the left lol.

Most seem to binge all of it when they read the webcomics. I have bought all the trades and the comixology version because I am a nutter. But I agree he deserves all the sales he can get.

The most recent issue of Death Vigil was incredible too. Only one issue left :(

Top Bottom