• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Justice League led me to the wikipedia page for Trinity War which led me to Forever Evil. That Lex/Bizarro story line got me right in my heart place. Rest of the story was pretty good. I feel like it didn't have the build up and execution of Johns' best events in Green Lantern, but it was pretty solid.

Now I back in to finish up the rest of Aquaman. He just went to his high school reunion, it was awesome.

Boogiepop

Hooray, beat story mode and got up to level 13 in Splatoon. The final boss was tricky and had me worried at a few points, but I got through it on my first try!

Finally got around to reading Midnighter.

I never much liked Stormwatch or The Authority, they just came off as... kind of mean-spirited in their deconstruction. This was different, though. This was just... human. Very much so, aside from the wacky technobabble in The God Garden. Loved the scene in the bar especially.

Tizoc

But I think after 3 years of crap events, it feel refreshing to have a good one. I liked Fear Itself but this blows it away.

Oh if you mean Marvel particularly then I'd agree but as far as Comics in general though?
I've read more entertaining events =X

Also read the first 5 issues of Lemire's GA run, that is to say, 17-22. Good stuff fur sure. The art, though, DAMN. They should be calling this the Sorretino/Maiolo run because the art and the colors are what's really making this for me. The story is decent, it's just massively overshadowed. I love the effect they do, where there's this little black and white mini-panel with one splash of color every so often, mostly used to highlight a part of the scene. It's something else.

Voror

Yep it's Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner writing Chad "my pateron failed" Hardin on art and lots of guest artists on the special issues.

Ah good. I'll definitely check it out then.

You just talking Big 2? Cus The Valiant is probably the best event overall of the past few years.

Has the recent Valiant comics stuff been pretty good then? I remember hearing good things about X-O Manowar, which I think is one of those titles.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Also read the first 5 issues of Lemire's GA run, that is to say, 17-22. Good stuff fur sure. The art, though, DAMN. They should be calling this the Sorretino/Maiolo run because the art and the colors are what's really making this for me. The story is decent, it's just massively overshadowed. I love the effect they do, where there's this little black and white mini-panel with one splash of color every so often, mostly used to highlight a part of the scene. It's something else.

The was great. Really created the atmosphere for the story, and made it better.

Has the recent Valiant comics stuff been pretty good then? I remember hearing good things about X-O Manowar, which I think is one of those titles.

Recent as in the 2012 reboot? Yes.

Harbinger and Ivar, Timewalker are my favorite series, but as an event The Valiant was legendary. X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, and The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage are very good, and very different from what I'm used to seeing from the big 2 (in terms of a shared universe, since most of those books aren't even cape books).

Voror

Harbinger and Ivar, Timewalker are my favorite series, but as an event The Valiant was legendary. X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, and The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage are very good, and very different from what I'm used to seeing from the big 2 (in terms of a shared universe, since most of those books aren't even cape books).

Yes, that one.

I'll have to add it to the list to check out then. At the very least, they seem to have been putting out deluxe hardcover collections of those series, which should make it easy to collect and read.

Edit: Although a lot of them seem to be out of stock online. I hope that isn't permanent.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone read The Sixth Gun?

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers concluded.

Thanos
got outsmarted by Lockjaw. Yes. Yeeessss....This was good.

needs to be an ongoing

at some point i need to do a huge Valiant read-through.

is there some reading list out there that maps out the best books and the resulting crossover/event?

Voror

anyone read The Sixth Gun?

I have and I'd recommend it. It's a great combo of the wild west with supernatural adventure . I've lost track of the recent issues, but I can definitely vouch for the first five. The same team also did a black and white series called The Damned that mixed noir, gangsters, and demons that was quite good.

Yes, that one.

I'll have to add it to the list to check out then. At the very least, they seem to have been putting out deluxe hardcover collections of those series, which should make it easy to collect and read.

Edit: Although a lot of them seem to be out of stock online. I hope that isn't permanent.

I know they're at the very least in the process of reprinting X-O Manowar, that being their most popular series. I'm not sure what the plan for the deluxe HCs is across the board, though.

at some point i need to do a huge Valiant read-through.

is there some reading list out there that maps out the best books and the resulting crossover/event?

I found this one which is pretty comprehensive and up to date within a few months. Most of the series are self-contained though, with the exception of perhaps Harbinger since Harbinger Wars is the other half of what happens; Bloodshot: Harbinger Wars is a sidestory that's pretty disconnected.

Most of them are pretty obvious, like X-O Manowar crossing over with Unity (the name of the tpb is "At War with Unity" lol) or Harbinger: Armor Hunters (not a part of the main series, haven't read it but I've heard it's skippable). The Valiant is standalone, basically; I don't read Eternal Warrior or Bloodshot but it's pretty obvious what was going on.

Honestly, I don't know if you can go wrong just picking any title from their lineup. I've heard nothing but good things about all of them, but X-O Manowar is their flagship title. It just depends on what you're looking for.

I guess just if you have any specific questions when you get around to it, just ask here; if I'm around I can answer, and I'm usually lurking even if I'm not always posting.

Enjoying reading your impressions of all this stuff.

Voror

I know they're at the very least in the process of reprinting X-O Manowar, that being their most popular series. I'm not sure what the plan for the deluxe HCs is across the board, though.

Oh, that's good to hear. Hopefully the same is done for the other ones. Could I pick up and read The Valiant without having read the other stuff? Thought that might be a possibly okay place to start.

Oh, that's good to hear. Hopefully the same is done for the other ones. Could I pick up and read The Valiant without having read the other stuff? Thought that might be a possibly okay place to start.

Yeah, The Valiant is designed to be a good starting place. It helps to know who all the characters are, since a lot of them are just in the background there and only a few of them get the spotlight, but it's totally readable on its own. I'm not sure it'll open you up to any of the other series, though - the characters it features heavily are Bloodshot, Eternal Warrior, and Geomancer (she doesn't have her own book, she just kind of piggybacks on others), maybe Armstrong depending on your definition of featured. Most all of the other characters from other books are in there, as well, though.

That said, it is an incredible tale that I enjoyed thoroughly without having read Eternal Warrior or Bloodshot.

If you're into time travel hijinks or just want something completely different, I highly recommend Ivar, Timewalker. You also don't need any prior knowledge for that one. That book is a lot of fun and it's still in its first issues; the first trade came out back in May.

Messi

Oh man, I am not a fan of Bianchi's art in new avengers. I hope it changes after these 3 issues. I loved every artist other than Bianchi. They are all in Eptings shadow tho.

breh...this dude just missed an uncontested fast break dunk

HE'S 6'10''

I can't believe I just seen that.

Completing Gwent: High Stakes at lvl 18 #feelsgoodmang

Also JLA Classified: Cold Steel has no business whatsoever being as good as it is, given that the proposition for the tale most likely was "what if we put the JLA in mechas and had them fight...in SPACE?"

Zombine

Banned
So I finally dug into Splatoon tonight, and I really dug the single player missions. Getting some major Mario vibes from them.

Owzers

Cavs....got.....this.

i'm scared.

I don't like it when teams dribble the clock out and settle for whatever shot they can get in the last 4 seconds.

JR Smith fouls AGAIN. Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn life. Basketball life.

Owzers

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

i hate this game. I hate teams that try to hold onto leads like this, just wearing down the clock and taking bad shots.

Top Bottom