• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

if the thread wasn't locked after like a dozen pages of fuckin breakfast food discussions, I think we're in the clear when we talk about the sexual relationships of comic book characters in a comic book thread

I ship Swamp Thing and Man Thing. I like to imagine them growing into each other like some sort of plant version of Changelings from Star Trek DS9.

if the thread wasn't locked after like a dozen pages of fuckin breakfast food discussions, I think we're in the clear when we talk about the sexual relationships of comic book characters in a comic book thread

I think Zombine is talking about this:

the most heterosexual ComicsGAF user

I guess Messi, since he seems to only like women

I'm inclined to agree.

Things like the breakfast stuff is why we're a community, but we shouldn't abuse it.

Zombine

Banned

Breakfast isn't a point of contention like that is on GAF. I don't think its a good look for us to joke about sexuality when it bothers a lot of people. I'm just looking out for you and anyone else that wants to joke about any orientation on here.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I'm still not fired yet. However, I'm having like a nervous breakdown over here and looking for subtext in everything my boss says to me. Like, there are these posts that I usually get done throughout the week, and she wants me to write them all up today. Is she just trying to get one more good day out of me before firing me!? AAAAHHHHH

So I'm still not fired yet. However, I'm having like a nervous breakdown over here and looking for subtext in everything my boss says to me. Like, there are these posts that I usually get done throughout the week, and she wants me to write them all up today. Is she just trying to get one more good day out of me before firing me!? AAAAHHHHH

Can't read too much into things. What will happened will happen. Getting paranoid is how, and I maybe shouldn't be admitting this, have tried to quit my job twice because I felt I wasn't living up to my expectations only to basically be told both times "What the hell are you talking about Sarah?"

Zombine

Banned
I retract my suggestion for a comicGaf event. Zombine makes good points. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit

Absolutely. I get it and believe me, you know I like to joke around. Certain subjects are just things that as a community we have to decide not to joke about to represent us in the best possible light. We are super inclusive and caring, and I think we need to not lower our standards because a known troll shows up and tries to stir the pot.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can't read too much into things. What will happened will happen. Getting paranoid is how, and I maybe shouldn't be admitting this, have tried to quit my job twice because I felt I wasn't living up to my expectations only to basically be told both times "What the hell are you talking about Sarah?"
I know what you mean. I am expecting always the worst.

Kipp

Yeah, I'm trying my best to have that mindset, but it's so hard to calm myself down.

And yeah, I totally know what you mean. Even though my boss always tells me I'm doing a great job and whatnot I still worry that I should quit before I get fired because I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job. But that's mostly because I have absolutely zero passion for this job and just can't get myself to care about what I'm doing. Luckily it's a basic enough job that I can still do it well without caring. It's just that I could be doing a lot better and I don't like not doing my best.

Owzers

Locke and Key volume 4...."hey, that key, you should really tell me about it."

"I know we have trust issues, let's fix that by trusting me with key info."

"KEY"

"KEYYYYYYYY KEY KEY KEY."

ReAxion

I don't get people who go to SDCC for that shit anyways. If you want to get into Hall H you have to get there before the sun even comes up. I think someone got stabbed several years ago in line too.

If only there was some other Disney property on the horizon to fill that slot...

Hall H isn't that bad. Only need a couple hours lede time. They schedule things in a sequence to where it cycles out decently. And it was inside, with a pen. More of a scratch really.

Considering the size of the biomass, violent incidents are extremely low.

If only there was some other Disney property on the horizon to fill that slot...

Hall H isn't that bad. Only need a couple hours lede time. They schedule things in a sequence to where it cycles out decently. And it was inside, with a pen. More of a scratch really.

Considering the size of the biomass, violent incidents are extremely low.

I've never gone [to Hall H] myself, I'm just going off of what I've heard from friends :p I dunno, I'd rather just go to smaller panels and walk the convention than wait in line for something like a Marvel Studios panel if I'm being honest.

I remember last time I went there was a panel called "Jews in Comics" or something similar that we went to and it was pretty interesting.

Well went on a mini Fraction buying binge to pick up Casanova 2&3 and Big Hard Sex Criminals.

Took me a little while to get into Casanova vol 1 but I think that's just because the first issue just tossed you into the deep end and it takes a moment to appreciate the use of color and artwork.

Finished book 3 of 6 of Saga of Swamp Thing. This was the Nukeface story and the Constantine arc ending at the crazy slave house. Still GOAT comics but didn't hit the highs as previous story arcs. Take a few days break now to read weekly comics and start it back up later this week.

REALLY enjoying this new 52 Snyder and Capullo run on batman. What other new 52 Bat family titles are worth reading ? I feel like I've seen bat girl and batwoman recommended, but not much else ? Were both batgirl runs good ?

Well went on a mini Fraction buying binge to pick up Casanova 2&3 and Big Hard Sex Criminals.

Took me a little while to get into Casanova vol 1 but I think that's just because the first issue just tossed you into the deep end and it takes a moment to appreciate the use of color and artwork.

Don't forget to check under the dust jacket.

They really should have gotten someone who knew what they were doing to do the LGBT history video for DC. They're straight up forgetting swaths of history and saying stuff like Gail Simone's Batgirl was the first book with a transgender character in it. It's like, lolwut? No? Not even counting Marvel stuff or indie stuff, there is a previous instance in DCs own continuity with Shvaughn Erin.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
REALLY enjoying this new 52 Snyder and Capullo run on batman. What other new 52 Bat family titles are worth reading ? I feel like I've seen bat girl and batwoman recommended, but not much else ? Were both batgirl runs good ?

you should read Snyder's pre-N52 dickbats story The Black Mirror

it's better than his N52 work

Batwoman was good. Start with Elegy then continue onto New 52.

Grayson is great and so is Gotham Academy. Batman & Robin gets lots of love here too.

Kipp

They really should have gotten someone who knew what they were doing to do the LGBT history video for DC. They're straight up forgetting swaths of history and saying stuff like Gail Simone's Batgirl was the first book with a transgender character in it. It's like, lolwut? No? Not even counting Marvel stuff or indie stuff, there is a previous instance in DCs own continuity with Shvaughn Erin.

And what about Rebis in Doom Patrol? Does he/she/it count?

Batman and Robin is secretly the best Bat book.
Batman Eternal is extremely good for the majority of the run.
Batwoman is amazing until issue 25, decent for some issues after, then just goes to shit.
Batgirl is very good but not stellar during Simone's run, with a few great issues.
Grayson is absolutely stellar.
Detective and Dark Knight are work horse comics. Good but nothing special.

Harley is totes hijinks fun and Catwoman is great from issue 35ish forward.

Just picked it up. Sexy book. Had no idea it was dickbats. Gimme dat dickbats ongoing.

You'll really like Grayson. Spy Dick Grayson has been amazing.

Boogiepop

Also, ya know, Sandman had a trans character in that one arc.

Anyway, finished Waid FF. It was good stuff. Though the Doom arc felt surprisingly flat to me. Like, one of the four Complete Collections was dedicated to that, and I had only picked up the first collection at first so that was my first reading of the run in a decent bit. And I was like... hm, that was just kind of eh, hope I don't regret buying all this. But then the aftermath of that happens and is waaaaay more interesting and it keeps on rolling. BTW, is the Galactus stuff the first time that "survivor of the previous universe" stuff got discussed? I heard it before, but never actually seen it in comics. And how long does it take for that ending to get undone?

Oh, and if anyone was paying attention to my overblown ebay troubles yesterday that I probably posted too much on... the guy was super awesome and not only did what I asked to get my mistake corrected, he went overboard and just made the rest of the stuff free shipping, saving me a few extra dollars despite this being caused by my stupidity. Definitely giving great reviews once everything arrives, I think.

Messi

Batman and Robin is secretly the best Bat book.
Batman Eternal is extremely good for the majority of the run.
Batwoman is amazing until issue 25, decent for some issues after, then just goes to shit.
Batgirl is very good but not stellar during Simone's run, with a few great issues.
Grayson is absolutely stellar.
Detective and Dark Knight are work horse comics. Good but nothing special.

Harley is totes hijinks fun and Catwoman is great from issue 35ish forward.

You'll really like Grayson. Spy Dick Grayson has been amazing.

I agree with all of this.

Just picked it up. Sexy book. Had no idea it was dickbats. Gimme dat dickbats ongoing.

If you enjoy DickBats, read Morrison's Batman and Robin PreNu52.

Otherwise, Batwoman was my favorite Nu52 Batbook. Starts with Elegy in PreNu52, and continues in Nu52 up until issue 24 where it ends abruptly with absolutely no closure and you're left to dream about what could have been.
;_;

The worst part about this is even a minute on Wikipedia would have been enough to know some of the stuff was wrong. When Wikipedia is doing a better job at DC history than DC is you know you have issues.

ReAxion

I've never gone [to Hall H] myself, I'm just going off of what I've heard from friends :p I dunno, I'd rather just go to smaller panels and walk the convention than wait in line for something like a Marvel Studios panel if I'm being honest.

I remember last time I went there was a panel called "Jews in Comics" or something similar that we went to and it was pretty interesting.

People tend to exaggerate it. It was bad for a stretch but they respond quickly. They've also really made it more accessible with replay rooms away from the crowds. And yep, the smaller panels are definitely where it's at.

tim1138

I'm guessing they didn't mention Shining Knight from Seven Soldiers then either.

Kipp

The only time i hear people say kilos is in movies regarding drugs.

Drug running might pay off now, but you can't read comics in prison.

Could've sworn I remember seeing
Wee-Bey
(spoilers in case you've only seen Season 1 of The Wire for some reason) reading comics in prison in Season 2 of The Wire.

That show might as well be real life, so you're wrong.

Keep up the drug running, Gameproff.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Could've sworn I remember seeing
Wee-Bey
(spoilers in case you've only seen Season 1 of The Wire for some reason) reading comics in prison in Season 2 of The Wire.

That show might as well be real life, so you're wrong.

Keep up the drug running, Gameproff.

They have libraries in prison, they might have some of the big stuff.

I wonder what the odds are of the All-New, All-Different (Really!) Marvel having at least one book with a well-written trans character in a major role.

I stopped over and he gave me some Watermelon Sour Patch Kids so it's kind of a win win.

Anything except the EXTREME version just doesn't do it for me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
had Popeye's for lunch

thank god i went to the gym yesterday because i'm about to nap hard when i get home from work

Top Bottom