• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

tim1138

i've seen some praise for the Omega Men here but none of it has actually told me anything about why it's good. not that it's anyone's job to (except Tom King i guess) but on its own it doesn't appeal to me

I guess Black Science doesn't either though, so

It's a neat political thriller set in space where you're not really sure who is playing who or what entirely is going on. It will probably be a slow burn as it's one massive twelve issue story arc.

It's a neat political thriller set in space where you're not really sure who is playing who or what entirely is going on. It will probably be a slow burn as it's one massive twelve issue story arc.

I'd also say it has elements of cult classic sci-fi to it as well; Like it's something you could have read in the 60s or 70s. Same feeling Black Science gave me.

I think most comic praises all sound the same:

"This [comic character] is back and better than ever."
"[insert writers name] is adding in a whole new side to [insert comic character]."
"[insert writer] is making this book awesome"
"Now is the perfect time to jump on [insert comic character]."
"[some long thesis on how said comic character is legendary and how the writer is honoring the legacy]."

I love when the writing for a book isn't great but the art is so the praise quote is usually, "The art is great!" lol

Owzers

"[insert writers name] is adding in a whole new side to [insert comic character]."
"[some long thesis on how said comic character is legendary and how the writer is honoring the legacy]."

I love when the writing for a book isn't great but the art is so the praise quote is usually, "The art is great!" lol

"It's so good I even read it when i'm not in the bathroom"

It takes 9.0 IGN review scores or heavy GAF love to get me to notice books that slip past the pre-ordering. With Marvel i could always catch it on MU, with Image they put out cheap trades quickly, with DC if i miss something it's USUALLY gone for good. I didn't give Omega Men a chance and probably won't unless it turns out to be one of the most loved books of the year by all.

Don't forget that there's a 50/50 chance any praise quote will be from CBR.

But yeah, that's sort of who these things work anywhere they're used. Mostly they just annoy me by being further text to cover up part of the cover art.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm still jealous that Birdie has a praise quote on the back of the Remender Punisher omnibus...

frye

i read that omega men thing and like those Tom King Grayson comics... it's okay. A writer who cares about formal elements of a comic in 2015!? That's actually interesting to me but otoh i don't understand why he's using a 9 panel grid for this at all

well... shit, that does sound pretty cool. though "slow burn political thriller" can go literally any way for me so i might just have to just give an issue a shot

Kipp

"Slow burn political thriller" reminds me that I bought the complete set of Ex Machina TPBs like a year ago and still haven't read them.

They don't even look that impressive on my shelf. Lame.

Don't forget that there's a 50/50 chance any praise quote will be from CBR.

But yeah, that's sort of who these things work anywhere they're used. Mostly they just annoy me by being further text to cover up part of the cover art.

If the book is written by a female and/or has a female lead theres a good chance Comic Alliance and the A.V. Club are gonna be the featured praise. Comicvine tends to have some creative praise quotes on some books and they rarely get quoted.

well... shit, that does sound pretty cool. though "slow burn political thriller" can go literally any way for me so i might just have to just give an issue a shot

Don't take Tim's words to mean that there is a lack of momentum or action. The first issue (which really requires you to read the free preview issue as well, imo) certainly has that. It moves very quickly but its one of the few issues that I've actually gone over several times, in recent memory, to notice the little nuances.

Hmmm. You guys have convinced me to pick up Omega Men. This thread is really dangerous. Every time you guys actually talk about comics I feel my wallet get lighter.

someone is doing housework or something next door and it is so loud i can barely hear anything

guess I should read some comics since they don't require sound

Kipp

All of my reviews would be based on spine art.

I think you and me need to start ourselves a review website.

Absolute B&R has a pretty hot spine, with its shiny but transparent ampersand that you can only see at certain angles.

Doom Patrol spine has the badass Brian Bolland art.

Simonson Orion omnibus has a garbage spine. Just some lame wannabe art that really has no artistic quality. Just a "Simonson" signature over some colors.

Marvel omnibuses need to step up their spine game. They have enough real estate to do something good, but all that potential is wasted.

Maybe also a short review of the binding, since that's kind of important for when you flip through the book sometimes before you put it in its home on the shelf.

Messi

Friend went in and put a pre-order on the Scarlet Witch hot toy for me in the wrong store. They charge like 100 more for it. I am nearly blind with anger / frustration. I don't want to deal with these pricks.

Don't take Tim's words to mean that there is a lack of momentum or action. The first issue (which really requires you to read the free preview issue as well, imo) certainly has that. It moves very quickly but its one of the few issues that I've actually gone over several times, in recent memory, to notice the little nuances.

oh, good. i'll get the preview issue too then

Friend went in and put a pre-order on the Scarlet Witch hot toy for me in the wrong store. They charge like 100 more for it. I am nearly blind with anger / frustration. I don't want to deal with these pricks.

Do you want Zombine and I to handle it? Just give us all the pertinent information and their phone number.

Or just cancel it and don't give a fuck. :p

tim1138

oh, good. i'll get the preview issue too then

Just to build on what GH said, slow burn definitely doesn't mean nothing is happening in the first issue, there's quite a few threads all running concurrently. I meant it more in the sense of don't expect a resolution to major plot points by issue 4 or whatever.

Zombine

Banned
So how would you review individual trades when a full trade run's spines make a bigger piece of art? :eek:

They would re-reviewed once the final picture was completed.

Every Marvel Now book is exactly the same. New Avengers = Superior Foes = Moon Knight.

That sort of uniformity is a plus in my book. I will reflect that in my reviews.

I think you and me need to start ourselves a review website.

Absolute B&R has a pretty hot spine, with its shiny but transparent ampersand that you can only see at certain angles.

Doom Patrol spine has the badass Brian Bolland art.

Simonson Orion omnibus has a garbage spine. Just some lame wannabe art that really has no artistic quality. Just a "Simonson" signature over some colors.

Marvel omnibuses need to step up their spine game. They have enough real estate to do something good, but all that potential is wasted.

Maybe also a short review of the binding, since that's kind of important for when you flip through the book sometimes before you put it in its home on the shelf.

True story, my Absolute B&R is still wrapped leaning against my one shelf.

Just to build on what GH said, slow burn definitely doesn't mean nothing is happening in the first issue, there's quite a few threads all running concurrently. I meant it more in the sense of don't expect a resolution to major plot points by issue 4 or whatever.

In the interview they said it's gonna just go.

King says the first chapter of Omega Men has a huge action sequence where readers won't be able to pick out the good guys from the bad ones, and it begins a "12-issue sprint to a climactic moment, and every issue and every panel has to move forward to that point."

100 . which they require.

They also get the figures months late. Vs the other place that gets them early.

Sounds like your friend owns you 100 squids.

tim1138

Nameless #4 - thats that 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there (chorus: right there) ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯💯

I agree 100% with this. I have no idea how this is going to wrap up in two issues.
This and Annihilator give me the same vibe of Morrison providing the a pretty pared down script and just letting his artists go nuts.

CBTech

Gotham Academy was really fun this week and the art was great. The panel direction wasn't very good though. A couple of times I had trouble following what was going on.
In particular when Damian stops the kid from attacking the professor and when Maps and Damian get spellbound in the cemetery.
Had to read those pages a couple of times to follow it.

Batman was interesting. I like the idea and am interested to see where they go with it. I'm curious if the "Bunny" comments were put in after they made the reveal a few months ago.

Kipp

True story, my Absolute B&R is still wrapped leaning against my one shelf.

Close enough.

Also, every book where the spine art is misaligned gets an automatic 0/10, right?
Looking at you, Alias omnibus....
Also looking at you, Fear Agent omnibuses for being about a centimeter misaligned from each other.

Starfire #1 was absolutely delightful. Glad to see the creative team basically ignore RHATO. Lupacchino's art was lovely as always and Conner/Palmiotti really made Kori into a lovable character really quickly. She's naive but not dumb and it's incredibly cute so far. As a South Florida resident, it's also cool to see such a big focus on the area. I've never seen a hurricane like the one in this issue but comic book logic kinda trumps real life rules.

Overall, really dug this but I was already expecting to. If you enjoyed Power Girl you'll like this so far. Really excited for the next issue.

Also, I make an appearance:
ks4xOb0.png

Thanks for noticing me Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti! Come visit again so I can see you this time :'(

tight. i'm down with slow burns if there's something i can latch on to right away to keep me interested.

thanks, all!

Close enough.

Also, every book where the spine art is misaligned gets an automatic 0/10, right?
Looking at you, Alias omnibus....
Also looking at you, Fear Agent omnibuses for being about a centimeter misaligned from each other.

Oh good. I had been worried this was just my copy due to some printing thing.

Starfire #1 was absolutely delightful. Glad to see the creative team basically ignore RHATO. Lupacchino's art was lovely as always and Conner/Palmiotti really made Kori into a lovable character really quickly. She's naive but not dumb and it's incredibly cute so far. As a South Florida resident, it's also cool to see such a big focus on the area. I've never seen a hurricane like the one in this issue but comic book logic kinda trumps real life rules.

Overall, really dug this but I was already expecting to. If you enjoyed Power Girl you'll like this so far. Really excited for the next issue.

Also, I make an appearance:
ks4xOb0.png

Thanks for noticing me Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti! Come visit again so I can see you this time :'(
Wait,
do they bring up her drug addiction?, her sister being good now?, leaving RHATO?

Top Bottom