• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Downloading: 181 and counting

;P

i'm trying for about 30, most things i've read or don't want to read just one issue.

my highlights:

What If? series, 5 or so one-shots of Secret Invasion, Astonishing, House of M, WWH, etc
AvX Babies one-shot - MUST GET
A+X #1
Fantastic Four Isla De La Muerte
Spider-Man and Human Torch Bahia de los muertos
Fantastic Four in ataque del modok!!!!!!!!!

Capt. Britain and MI 13 Annual
Daredevil/Deadpool Annual
Doctor Strange From the Marvel Vault
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual
Immortal Iron Fist Annual
Daredevil End of Days #1 - because i'll buy the HC if it's oversized
Dark Reign the List stuff
AvX Vs #1
Avenging Spidey Annual
Marvel Zombies Halloween one-shot

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
speaking of Hickman, was there ever closure on his old SHIELD series? The one with like, DaVinci and shit?

speaking of Hickman, was there ever closure on his old SHIELD series? The one with like, DaVinci and shit?

Dustin weaver the artist is currently drawing avengers and then is going to work on the last 2 issue of volume 2. at least that was the plan last time i heard anything.

Wool

I was looking into getting the TPB's for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic you guys keep recommending, but the price makes no sense.

TPB Vol 1 is issues #1-4
TPB Vol 2 is issues #5-7

They are $20 each. Why is the first volume 4 issues and the second volume 3 issues? Why is it more expensive to get the trades than the all of the individual issues? I don't think they're hardcover or anything...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I had just noticed that the new issue of Batman Beyond was put out yesterday. It may focus on Dana but shit just got real at the end. I seriously doubt Terry or Bruce had time for a clever plan this time.

Owzers

Additionally, Phillips reported that Marvel is working on filling in any present gaps in storylines that are among the thousands of issues offered on Marvel Unlimited.

"We're doing gap fill-in," Phillips said. "A lot of historical series have issues that maybe we didn't digitize just because we have so many comics, so we've been going back and slowly trying to fill all those in for people."

My hate for Marvel knows no end. What a sack of crap answer, as every new update to the service involves creating new gaps, what are these gaps that you are filling?

Acid08

Banned
I was looking into getting the TPB's for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic you guys keep recommending, but the price makes no sense.

TPB Vol 1 is issues #1-4
TPB Vol 2 is issues #5-7

They are $20 each. Why is the first volume 4 issues and the second volume 3 issues? Why is it more expensive to get the trades than the all of the individual issues? I don't think they're hardcover or anything...
No you're right, the trade setup is garbage. Too expensive for too few issues. Amazon has them at much more reasonable prices.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

TPB Vol 1 is issues #1-4
TPB Vol 2 is issues #5-7

Vol 2 (Enemies Old, Enemies New) is 5-8. Wherever you got that other info is wrong.

I went through the site and did the Add all to cart, it had a couple of hiccups but I got the email showing that I got all the issues.

Edit: They haven't showed up in the My comics list though.

Dan

I got it off the TFAW website. 5-8 makes more sense, but $20 for 4 issues is a ripoff regardless. I wonder how well that first volume sold?
I just checked my copy and the MSRP is $17.99, which is still kinda steep for 4 issues. I buy almost everything off Amazon however, so it's usually like 60% of the MSRP, which is great.

Edit: Oh, that's not the new IDW run. That's Tales of the TMNT, which is old reprints of the companion series from the late '80s.

If you're looking for the current series, it's:

Vol 1: Change is Constant
Vol 2: Enemies Old, Enemies New
Vol 3: Shadows of the Past
Vol 4: Sins of the Father
Vol 5: Krang War (forthcoming)

Plus the two micro-series collections and the forthcoming Secret History of the Foot Clan mini.

Are they all a straight-up 4-issues per trade?
Yes. The main line are all 4 issues. The micro-series collections are 4 issues. The annual will supposedly be collected two a piece eventually, since they're double sized. The Secret History of the Foot mini will be 4 issues, since that's all there is.

I think all of IDW's original stuff is collected, and designed for, trades of 4 issues. I recall one of their editors saying they felt that was a sweet spot for market penetration.

Owzers

I went through the site and did the Add all to cart, it had a couple of hiccups but I got the email showing that I got all the issues.

Edit: They haven't showed up in the My comics list though.

my entire purchase history isn't showing up :p

Marvel Unlimited reading shenanigans:

I didn't understand the ending to Marvel Zombies Return #4, overall it was decent i guess...a bit straight forward with Marvel Zombies vol 3 as the standout in the whole franchise thanks to extra weirdness of Machine Man.

Dan

Geez, and that's from 2008.

Paul Maybury, artist of "Aqua Leung" has been sounding off... firstly about not receiving any writing credit for “Aqua Leung,” and for not making any money on anthologies such as the Harvey Award winning “Pop Gun” and “Comic Book Tattoo.”

Later in the comments he clarified, "Yeah, originally it was 4 single issues. I wrote issue 2 and the end of issue 1, and did over all writing on the rest of it with the other writer Mark. The credits just say "created and produced" by Mark Smith and Paul Maybury, due to the fact that the writer and I couldn't agree. When it got solicited I think it was billed as written by Mark Smith, Art by Paul Maybury, so after that every reviewer just sort of assumed."

"As far as other volumes go, I wouldn't be hopeful as the creative team has disbanded. There are a lot of great similar adventure books being published in print and online to fill the void though."

However by then an anonymous poster presumed to be “Aqua Leung” writer and current Image mainstay Mark Andrew Smith ("Amazing Joy Buzzards," "Popgun," "Kill All Parents") writes, "Paul is a terrible thief and a huge backstabber and he shouldn't be trusted at all. Working on Aqua Leung with him was the worst experience of my life and he did every single fucked up thing you could imagine on the book. There will never be anymore Aqua Leung. Paul owes me thousands of dollars as well that he just kept. Everyone you should not trust Paul at all and he's a horrible human being."

"Aqua Leung" editor Cassandra Paseley responded, "You know what Mark, there is nothing worse that a human being who thinks that he is owed something by the world and you are one of those people. You have done nothing but lie, cheat, and steal from Paul and everyone else involved in Aqua Leung. To add to that, you are so delusional that you actually believe that you could change a contract and that you can force peoples hands into getting what you want. You were offered fair compensation and you choose to turn it down because you wanted more! The bottom line is that you are a GREEDY, SELFISH person. It's true I may be Paul's girlfriend and in turn I may share a bed with him but don't doubt that it's not already known by EVERYONE what a spoiled, rotten, daddy's boy you are. GET A FUCKING LIFE!"

At which point it descends into abuse...

UPDATED: Mark Andrew Smith wrote Monday evening with the following response:

"I apologize for airing my dirty laundry and I apologize for everything I said. While I don't agree with Paul, I decided it's time to move on, but thanks to everyone for all the support on the book."

So Mark Andrew Smith has been a professional asshole for quite some time.

Acid08

Banned
I just checked my copy and the MSRP is $17.99, which is still kinda steep for 4 issues. I buy almost everything off Amazon however, so it's usually like 60% of the MSRP, which is great.

Edit: Oh, that's not the new IDW run. That's Tales of the TMNT, which is old reprints of the companion series from the late '80s.

If you're looking for the current series, it's:

Vol 1: Change is Constant
Vol 2: Enemies Old, Enemies New
Vol 3: Shadows of the Past
Vol 4: Sins of the Father
Vol 5: Krang War (forthcoming)

Plus the two micro-series collections and the forthcoming Secret History of the Foot Clan mini.

Yes. The main line are all 4 issues. The micro-series collections are 4 issues. The annual will supposedly be collected two a piece eventually, since they're double sized. The Secret History of the Foot mini will be 4 issues, since that's all there is.

I think all of IDW's original stuff is collected, and designed for, trades of 4 issues. I recall one of their editors saying they felt that was a sweet spot for market penetration.

Great post. But yeah just order them off of Amazon. Much better deal.

Clicked "add all" on all the categories, and ended up with 255 issues in my cart. Now I've gone through the checkout and it's not loading the final page of checkout! I'm gonna try this again at like 4 AM. Hope everyone is asleep by then :s

Hadn't heard about the shenanigans between Maybury and Smith. Some of my friends are friends with Maybury, maybe I can dig up some dirt!
probably not

Niel Gaiman and Skottie Young are doing a childrens book. should be awesome

tumblr_mi4fs7nGNW1qes700o1_400.jpg

Do I just have to "purchase" these free issues, and then I can download them whenever I want, or do I have to purchase & download at the same time?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Can I get some opinions on the Dark Horse Alien/Predator comics?

I was watching a video earlier today about the Predator, and after some digging found that Dark Horse has released several omnibi edition of their comics. I remember really liking the Aliens comics I read when I was younger, and this has sort of sparked an interested today in me revisiting some comics. I haven't read any comics seriously in a period of 4-5 years, but I'll be going to the book store later today to see if they have anything in stock.

There's a ton of material. The old stuff has aged as poorly as the rest of the early 90s. Claremont wrote a 12 issue series that has more exposition than some novels. There's a fantastic Predator story where a predator fights a grizzly bear (no really). Also one where a predator goes back to the American civil war. Is good.

I'd say find browse the descriptions of more recent stuff and find one with a hook that interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom