• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

"We stand behind our product 100% and beyond," he said. "Between the best talent and editorial staff in the business, we decided to show everyone how much we believe in the material by letting them try the first issues free because we’re confident they’ll come back for more. New fans can discover the exciting adventures of characters they love on the big screen and hardcore fans can perhaps try out a series starring heroes they'd never considered before."

How does this response equate to only having this promotion through Tuesday? Why are "new fans" on a 2 day time limit?

Will the issue be removed my archive on Tuesday? Or will I own them forever now? (Until Comixology exists)

On the other end, I just want to remind people that my favorite comic artist died a year ago: Jean Giraud. Or you may know him under the name of Moebius. I love nearly every of his creation. And with the "Marvel 700 free issues promotion", you can get first issue of Silver Surfer: Parable for free! Grab it!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Will the issue be removed my archive on Tuesday? Or will I own them forever now? (Until Comixology exists)

On the other end, I just want to remind people that my favorite comic artist died a year ago: Jean Giraud. Or you may know him under the name of Moebius. I love nearly every of his creation. And with the "Marvel 700 free issues promotion", you can get first issue of Silver Surfer: Parable for free! Grab it!

You keep them forever. You just need to be sure to grab them while they're free.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of a crapton of comics? Nothing valuable, mostly early to mid 90's EXTREME stuff and modern era Image, Dark Horse, and Vertigo. May just give them away but I'd like to get something for them if possible, may just set some super low price per comic and sell as a batch on Craigslist or something like that.

I had a friend whose parents moved recently and made him take a longbox from storage. We went through it and it was like a mid-90s time machine. The polybags still had the label printed by our old shop for the subscription service with his name and address. These books had been read once in 1993 and then sat in this box for 20 years. Unfortunately, that stuff has no value to anyone beyond nostalgia. It is mind-boggling what was popular and considered good in that period.

Holy fuck I tried to read Kirkmans Ant Mant because it was free. Big mistake. Brah must think he gets paid by the word and how many panels are on one page. S many pointless words....

BluWacky

I bought the Severed TPB this week. I was honestly a bit underwhelmed; it's hardly horrifying when everything is basically revealed in the first issue (thus negating the suspense) and there's nothing gory or chilling about the rest of the story. While the art is evocative and well drawn, the final issue devolves into a smudgy mess of browns that make it impossible to see what's going on at key points, so there's little to shock the reader either.

It's a good concept for a horror "monster", though - I felt a little as though there were hints of a richer story to tell there that they couldn't get around to in a miniseries.

I've not read anything else by Snyder; is American Vampire interesting?

Was thinking about dropping Indestructible Hulk after the first arc. But the thought of Walt Simonson drawing Thor again and Matteo Scalera coming on as artist with the DD arc are keeping me interested.

Plus I love Waids characterization of Banner and premise of the book.

Those 2 artists have the opposite effect for me. Hated Scalera's style on Secret Avengers, especially after I had jumped on for what I thought was an extended Gabriel Hardman run. Modern Simonson is nowhere close to the Simonson of 20-30 years ago.

-Mikey-

I bought the Severed TPB this week. I was honestly a bit underwhelmed; it's hardly horrifying when everything is basically revealed in the first issue (thus negating the suspense) and there's nothing gory or chilling about the rest of the story. While the art is evocative and well drawn, the final issue devolves into a smudgy mess of browns that make it impossible to see what's going on at key points, so there's little to shock the reader either.

It's a good concept for a horror "monster", though - I felt a little as though there were hints of a richer story to tell there that they couldn't get around to in a miniseries.

I've not read anything else by Snyder; is American Vampire interesting?

American Vampire is very good. Now would be a nice time to catch up since they are on hiatus for most of this year.

Those 2 artists have the opposite effect for me. Hated Scalera's style on Secret Avengers, especially after I had jumped on for what I thought was an extended Gabriel Hardman run. Modern Simonson is nowhere close to the Simonson of 20-30 years ago.

holy shitsnacks just remembered that's who scalera is. And he's doin HULK???

:0

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Next semester take a marketing class, that should help clear things up for you.

I'm sure he understands the concept of timed promotions well enough. If the servers are continually unreliable during the duration of the entire stunt that reflects poorly on the service it's designed to promote, so it would be wise of them to let it run like a week so that not everyone is hitting it at once and the experience is more fluid, thus making it more likely for them to repeat business.

Furthermore, letting it run 7 days would tie into the 700 thing and the 52 notches thing at the same time.

Troll

Banned
Finally, Stryfe Strike Files will be recognized!

DC April meetings:

"Sorry Snyder, we have to take you off Batman. We noticed you didn't even chart in the top 700 of the top selling comics of March. We just think our readers have spoken and want someone else on the character."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
DC April meetings:

"Sorry Snyder, we have to take you off Batman. We noticed you didn't even chart in the top 700 of the top selling comics of March. We just think our readers have spoken and want someone else on the character."

:lol

Sad part is I can see this happening.

steveovig

Screw this free stuff. I try to sign in and find one freaking comic and I choose the wrong Hawkeye series, press back, get sent to the home page, and now the app won't let me search for anything.

DC April meetings:

"Looks like the top 700 issues in March where first issues. Obviously this means we need to reboot every series every month."

DC April meetings:

If DC wants me to stop reading Batman, this is the way to do it. I'm already quitting Swamp Thing now that Snyder is off the book.

Golden and Silver Age comics are so gloriously stupid and bad and awesome.

As part of my attempt to fill out my LOSH collection I managed to pick up 8 of the 13 DC Legion of Super Heroes Archives at ECCC, and have been slowly working my way through them.

My current favorite issue: First appearance of Mon El.
Superboy suspects he is an evil phony and to expose his "duplicity" he paints lead meteorites green like Kryptonite, and acts like he is losing his strength. At first Mon El is like, nah its fine, but then begins to succumb. Superboy calls him out, only to learn that, whoops, Mon El has a deadly weakness to lead and it's irreversible.

Superboy, super asshole.

monome

"Looks like the top 700 issues in March where first issues. Obviously this means we need to reboot every series every month."

DC needs to get its shit together.

There is gonna be some major shake-ups once/if Trinity War and Superman Unchained don't succeed as planned.

They can't rely on Snyder holding both Batman & Superman.
Severed > Death of the Family, and I love me some Batman.

Nor can they put Lemire on every title they don't want to retire but doesn't do good numbers.

big giant

Banned
My favorite moment of the series so far.
Not sure how many times they'll get to use that lettering gag before it gets tired, but so far it works really well.
holy shitsnacks just remembered that's who scalera is. And he's doin HULK???

:0
^^^^ yeah, that dude is dope
Matteo Scalera looks great - when I saw an unfamiliar name I did the Fill-in Artist Eye Roll, but looking at his stuff I might prefer it to current Yu.

Quake1028

Well, I have all 110 ish books I want for free at least recognizing that I "bought" them. I can download them later after the rush.

I can't even connect to comixology on my phone to download anything, hopefully later.

*Edit* I don't even want all 700 I'm trying to get about 10 - 15 and it ain't happening. Can't log in, if I put books into my cart with out being logged in and click check out it dumps all the books out of my cart.

Doing promotions like this is fucking stupid if you can't handle the god damn traffic.

Some info on the new batman arc from Rich
And that’s it to be an eleven issue story beginning in June called “The Zero Year”. That it will show “how Bruce became the Batman, built the cave, faced off with his first super villain.” But that, as the name will have triggered certain fanboy responses, “We’re not going to take apart ‘Year One’… There’s no touching the hem of that book.”

It will be out in June, which probably explains the Batbook solicitations delays somewhat…

Also riddled will be involved

monome

Some info on the new batman arc from Rich
Also the Riddler will be involved

losing faith in DC on a daily basis.
new 52 year Zero : lol

I don't care why he chose some specific brand of undies. I don't care for Snyder dissection of the character.

I thought new 52 was about new stories, better handled together and meaningfull.

it's become Marketing 101.

just as soon as Morrison leaves Batman, DC gets back in time...how fucking easy...shame on you Batman editors.

the day Capullo leaves, I won't turn around and wave goodbye.

Lombaszko

I'm fine with them going back to Year Zero for Batman. The zero issue story was one of the better issues and lately, Batman has been bogged down with past history and heavy family stuff. Seeing Bruce on his own dealing with the Red Hood Gang should be fun, kind of like how Action Comics is a Year Zero for Superman.

monome

I'm fine with them going back to Year Zero for Batman. The zero issue story was one of the better issues and lately, Batman has been bogged down with past history and heavy family stuff. Seeing Bruce on his own dealing with the Red Hood Gang should be fun, kind of like how Action Comics is a Year Zero for Superman.

it's not what the story is about. Main villain is Riddler.
At best Snyder will tie things up with the Red Hood during the last issue or bypass it on the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom