• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Damian epilogue was cool I guess. It doesn't really have the same effect as a TV that has no dialogue, but it was alright I guess.

Batman going all emo and hugging the costume though was not good.

The Damian epilogue was cool I guess. It doesn't really have the same effect as a TV that has no dialogue, but it was alright I guess.

Batman going all emo and hugging the costume though was not good.

I can't say I was a huge fan of B&R 18. I picked it up on a whim based on the acclaim here, and I didn't think it was all that great.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As the producer what sort of input the guy had on Lost story? I thought Lindelof was responsible for this.

Because frankly they just need to follow the book for the series to have a great story. Obviously there will be differences, but if they keep the main plot points and characters intact things will be OK.

Everything the guy does following Lost is going to be tarnished because some fans didn't like the direction their favorite series took?

I really don't understand this.

As a guy who has been reading The Sixth Gun since the beginning, and that tried to get more people interested in the book for a long time I'm just glad this producer guy is giving it a chance.

I mean, as much as I love it I doubt it is selling more than 15K, 20K tops each month. It's probably less than that. What are the chances someone would pick this up for TV?

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse were basically co-showrunners on Lost. They steered the ship.

We've seen what Lindelof has done after Lost and it hasn't been very great. Cuse's first real project since Lost is A&E's Bates Motel, which premieres on Monday. He and a writer from Friday Night Lights and Parenthood are the main EPs on that.

Cuse is also working on adapting Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's novel series The Strain for FX.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Glad to hear AoU #2 wasn't any better.

Easier to wait for the trade at this point.

stuff like this i don't understand

no one likes the book

so why are you waiting for the trade? why not just skip it altogether like i do with nearly every one of these events

Well this time there's a mythos and plot to work with already so there won't be much of a chance/necessity to make up as they go along too much. Cuse is not incompetent as a producer and I'm liking the cast so far. I remember Lindelof being more on the defensive in interviews than Cuse regarding what worked and what didn't in Lost too. I see where you're coming from though (I'm also a Lost fan who recognizes its shortcomings), but we'll see.

As the producer what sort of input the guy had on Lost story? I thought Lindelof was responsible for this.

Because frankly they just need to follow the book for the series to have a great story. Obviously there will be differences, but if they keep the main plot points and characters intact things will be OK.

Everything the guy does following Lost is going to be tarnished because some fans didn't like the direction their favorite series took?

I really don't understand this.

As a guy who has been reading The Sixth Gun since the beginning, and that tried to get more people interested in the book for a long time I'm just glad this producer guy is giving it a chance.

I mean, as much as I love it I doubt it is selling more than 15K, 20K tops each month. It's probably less than that. What are the chances someone would pick this up for TV?

I think the only downside is that people will be predisposed to think the humongous and awesome twist is lame.

AoU #5 shit seems to get real. also Moon knight in Aou 2 was awesome

prv15676_pg2.jpg

Hey ComicGAF. Didn't even know you existed. :p
I was wondering if you guys maybe could help me. I've run across this Marvel character I have no idea who it is. Maybe anyone of you knows who she is?

YnCX2Sk.jpg

She utilizes those swords and has a projectile launcher on her arm (similar to Black Widow's).

Where did you see her?

This is the only image I was shown. The person who showed me also mentioned that gun on her wrist and that she uses those swords.
I don't have any more information, sadly. :/

She looks familiar to me, but I can't recall who she was.

Looks like Avengers Alliance.

Yeah, I think he mentioned it was from that game, but I don't know where he found that picture.

stuff like this i don't understand

no one likes the book

so why are you waiting for the trade? why not just skip it altogether like i do with nearly every one of these events

I actually flip through trades when at Barnes & Noble. Rarely do I actually buy trades of events (I really have to like the event). Arcs yes, events nope.

I actually flip through trades when at Barnes & Noble. Rarely do I actually buy trades of events (I really have to like the event). Arcs yes, events nope.

Me too, actually. I did buy the hardcovers for both Planet Hulk and House of M, because I thought they were pretty spectacular. They still hold up pretty damn well.

I don't care what y'all say about AOU, it has Moon Knight in it and he's the shit. His series by Bendis/Maleev was one of my favorites in recent years, wish it went longer.

It even had an Ultron head in it, maybe this ties in.

Magneto's Testament is good so far on Marvel Unlimited, i've read the first 3 issues. Pak does an intricate job of imagining a timeline for the events, makes it feel almost real. Glad this stuff never happened though, it's grim.

Good mini series, there were a few good mini series coming out of the Marvel Knights line at that time. Silver Surfer Requiem was another

Oh man. Yeah, B&R 17&18 are just amazing. The level of detail calling back to the little moments in this series-the unfinished painting, Damien's trophies from the other Robins, etc. very good stuff.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh man. Yeah, B&R 17&18 are just amazing. The level of detail calling back to the little moments in this series-the unfinished painting, Damien's trophies from the other Robins, etc. very good stuff.

Actually I agree, I read the issues last night and they were really really good. As I was saying the other day, this book is good when it's not got stupid hamfisted villians shoved into it. #18 especially was very affecting and poignant. I really am going to miss Damian and the dynamic of having a younger Robin around the place.

Also read Batman #18 last ngiht and really enjoyed it too. Was a nice treat to get some Maleev at the end, I didn't know he could work at DC. All the way through I was thinking "this new guy is good, reminds me of Maleev" and whaddaya know. I thought the story was nice, but it is perhaps a little too reminiscent of A Lonely Place of Dying, especially ironic as a sequel to a Death In/Of the Family. Hoping the Snyder can dodge the inevitable story we can all see coming and do something interesting that doesn't end in a pointless death. I liked how Harper didn't care about who Batman was as a person, that gave me a little more hope for the direction. As it is it's a little too Tim Drake/Sasha Bordeaux right now, but perhaps that just tells me I've been reading Batman comics for too long.

So, I finished Age of Ultron 2.
Damn, this is pretty cool. I like the setting, the characters are acting as they should, and all seems good for now. I'm following it for sure.

I also read the latest Walking Dead.
Eh. Meow, I guess.
Nothing else seemed surprising. I mean, is it just me, or is this chapter pretty lame? I mean, I like Negal, or whatever. He seems interesting. Everything else is rubbish.

Finally, I started the Justice League of America with the first issue. I thought it was alright for an introduction. Is it any good later on in the story?

Actually I agree, I read the issues last night and they were really really good. As I was saying the other day, this book is good when it's not got stupid hamfisted villians shoved into it. #18 especially was very affecting and poignant. I really am going to miss Damian and the dynamic of having a younger Robin around the place.

Also read Batman #18 last ngiht and really enjoyed it too. Was a nice treat to get some Maleev at the end, I didn't know he could work at DC. All the way through I was thinking "this new guy is good, reminds me of Maleev" and whaddaya know. I thought the story was nice, but it is perhaps a little too reminiscent of A Lonely Place of Dying, especially ironic as a sequel to a Death In/Of the Family. Hoping the Snyder can dodge the inevitable story we can all see coming and do something interesting that doesn't end in a pointless death. I liked how Harper didn't care about who Batman was as a person, that gave me a little more hope for the direction. As it is it's a little too Tim Drake/Sasha Bordeaux right now, but perhaps that just tells me I've been reading Batman comics for too long.

So true. The dynamic between Alfred, Bruce, Damien and Dick (and Titus) were the highlights of the book-not the crime fighting highjinks. That's why I'll miss Damien-it was such a fresh relationship to explore in Batman....and now we're back to status quo. I don't like it. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So true. The dynamic between Alfred, Bruce, Damien and Dick (and Titus) were the highlights of the book-not the crime fighting highjinks. That's why I'll miss Damien-it was such a fresh relationship to explore in Batman....and now we're back to status quo. I don't like it. :(

Yeah, when Bruce tucked Damian in bed at the end of #17, all the more heartbreaking when you think of what's about to do down. And Tomasi painting Damian as the person Bruce sees as saving him as a lovely touch too. They're going to have to be so careful not to break Batman now, in a way I'm glad that Snyder is taking time away from the main timeline (and the other books are C grade fanfiction to me). I will be interested to see what Tomasi is doig with the teamups now. As long as the villains are kept to 3 pages an issue I'm happy.

A big chunk of comics arrived today!
Code:
Adventure Time #13
Adventure Time Fionna and Cake #3
Avengers #6
Avengers #7
Bravest Warriors #1
Bravest Warriors #2
Bravest Warriors #3
Bravest Warriors #4
Bravest Warriors #5
Bravest Warriors #6
Captain America #4
Deadpool #5
Deadpool Killustrated #2
Guardians Of The Galaxy #0.1
Hawkeye #2
Hawkeye #4
Hawkeye #6
Hawkeye #7
Iron Man #7
Star wars #3
Thor: God Of Thunder #5
Thor: God Of Thunder #6
Transformers Prime: Rage Of The Dinobots #4
Uncanny X-Men #2
Uncanny X-Men #3

I cannot wait to start reading them :D

I am getting the other Hawkeye Issues with next print.

What do you mean? Captain America was sitting down, and now he is standing up. Next issue maybe he will walk or run.

Pretty sure hes just going to finish standing up by the end of next issue. Its might even be a double spread.

The only explanation I want is why Tony is wearing that stupid tron suit.

diaspora

Superior Spiderman spoilers:
Based on Age of Ultron which takes place in the future, it's safe to assume Peter Parker resumes control AND coops Otto's scientific intellect and spider-bots.

Image Comics Solicits for June 2013 (Comic Book Resources)

LAZARUS_001_web72.jpg

LAZARUS #1 – GEM OF THE MONTH
story GREG RUCKA
art/cover MICHAEL LARK
JUNE 26
32 PAGES / FC / M
$2.99
"FAMILY," Part One
In a dystopian near-future, government is a quaint concept, resources are coveted, and possession is 100% of the law. A handful of Families rule, jealously guarding what they have and exploiting the Waste who struggle to survive in their domains. Forever Carlyle defends her family's holdings through deception and force as their protector, their Lazarus. Shot dead defending the family home, Forever's day goes downhill from there...

Effect

Has anyone read the Smallville Season 11 comics? Any good? I know the first volume is in paperback with the second volume to be released. Is the series still coming out or was it canceled?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior Spiderman spoilers:
Based on Age of Ultron which takes place in the future, it's safe to assume Peter Parker resumes control AND coops Otto's scientific intellect and spider-bots.

Probably a safe a bet as any. We'll find out in a few months.

hahaha WTF? Oh I hear it's not evry good, therefore I will buy it in the deluxe hardcover for $20, bargain!!

I guess you missed my post where I said that I look at trades while at Barnes & Nobel (or my LCS) lol.

I buy arcs in trades, rarely do I buy events mang.

Anyways, thanks tumblr for feeding me this by Phil Noto:

tumblr_mjpngqyFPa1qhyhwto1_500.jpg

Has anyone read the Smallville Season 11 comics? Any good? I know the first volume is in paperback with the second volume to be released. Is the series still coming out or was it canceled?

Still being released and I really enjoy them. People will dismiss this out of hand but they're better than Morrison's current run on Action Comics. You heard me.

Mafro

Messiah Complex! Best X-event since Age of Apocalypse. It was so damn good!

Second Coming... not so much.
Loved both those events. Probably my two favourite X-Men events ever, had a proper "big shit is going down and we're screwed" feeling to it and I loved the X-Force tie-ins. It's a shame the X-books have gone downhill quite a bit since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom