• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Batgirl was horrid enough at the beginning of the new 52 that I've ignored it since. I can't imagine anything short of replacing babs would get me to try it again. Batwoman is quality. pretty, fun, surreal stuff, though a couple issues have been duds. Green lantern has been good. Haven't read new guardians or red lanterns in ages but I enjoyed them both before schoolwork devoured my hobbies a while ago. GL Corps wasn't worth reading when the new 52 began and unless the current crossovers shook things up hard i doubt it's changed.

Unfortunate to hear about Batgirl. Is there anything more decent that Gail Simone's penned? I might also try Wonder Woman and Frankenstein, now that I'm thinking of it.

Unfortunate to hear about Batgirl. Is there anything more decent that Gail Simone's penned? I might also try Wonder Woman and Frankenstein, now that I'm thinking of it.

People speak well of her old birds of prey books from many years ago (not the brightest day tie-in, the much older volume of it) and secret six.

Wonder woman is enjoyable, and frankenstein was too, though I think it's been cancelled.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Marvel NOW Wave 2 starting in July?

Wave 1 has been a huge success, for me at least, with only a few books being duds so far (Tbolts, Morbius, Savage Wolverine). Looking forward to seeing what's next.

What's left to reboot? Everything that hasn't already had a new book close to MarvelNOW has basically been rebooted, minus alternate universe stuff.

I think it's fair to say Batgirl has gotten better as time has gone by.

What's left to reboot? Everything that hasn't already had a new book close to MarvelNOW has basically been rebooted, minus alternate universe stuff.

I think it's fair to say Batgirl has gotten better as time has gone by.
Heroes For Hire by Comics Superstar by Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato.
Dr. Strange by Neil Gaiman and Leinil Francis Yu
My New Life as a Black Man:The Untold story of Marcus Nicholas Fury Johnson by Joss Whedon and Cassady
The Punishing Punisher By Joshua Fial Halkov and Greg Land
Some mediocre character Nd story they want to push by Cullen Bunn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Heroes For Hire by Comics Superstar by Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato.
Dr. Strange by Neil Gaiman and Leinil Francis Yu

I don't think my wallet could take it if both of those came into existence. I honestly have no idea what I'd drop for those, especially a Dr. Strange book by Gaiman. Holy shit I need it in my life.

Yea Batgirl got better for me at Court of Owls

Yea Simone really found her groove around there. That said if Gaiman writes a Dr. Strange book, odds are Batgirl is dropped.

Would Court of Owls be a good jumping on point, or would there be any back issues I'd have to trek through first?

oops I meant Night of Owls lol

umm there were little things slowly going somewhere , but I don't think anything that would get you lost

I'm back and forth on liking it I'll feel bad if you hate it..like I was liking Wonder Woman more when I dropped that.

Hobobloke

Just discovered the Marvel Comics app on my phone and how good the reader is, I've read Civil War before and am reading Hawkeye now. Looking to check out some more stuff but not sure where to start/what's good, any suggestions?

Man, Action Comics....what a fucking mess.

If you asked me to summarize what happened in Action Comics the last couple of issues it'd be:

.......no fucking clue.

What a waste. Some much potential in those first 2-3 issues where a much more vulnerable Superman was up against the police, a tank, some fallible shit. Devolved into nonsense

New 52 is starting to really leave me wanting. Thankfully Image and Marvel are picking up the slack for quality.

Does the ending of justice league of America #2 insinuate that
obama is having an affair?because you just see obama peaking from behind his chair and the next panel shows him looking sheepishly and there's a girl standing next to him

If you asked me to summarize what happened in Action Comics the last couple of issues it'd be:

.......no fucking clue.

What a waste. Some much potential in those first 2-3 issues where a much more vulnerable Superman was up against the police, a tank, some fallible shit. Devolved into nonsense

New 52 is starting to really leave me wanting. Thankfully Image and Marvel are picking up the slack for quality.

Same here dude. I was angry "reading" this. It was a total incomprehensible mess. All I know is there was a dog there at some point, and somebody who looked liked Doomsday, but wasn't-and Lex Luthor was there but he really wasn't....

Fucking Morrison.

My thoughts on Action Comics #18.

Weird shit. But as far as I can tell it's exploring the idea of a higher dimensional being coming into a lower dimension and realizing that the "rules" don't operate the same. If we entered a 2 dimensional universe we'd find the rule changes equally baffling. Thus the talk about "being stuck on fly paper".

kswiston

Behind on comics due to too much work.

New Avengers > Avengers

Steve Epting is doing great work. I really hope that he stays on for a decent run.

After 5 issues, I still don't know how Remender is going to take Cap from where he is right now in the Captain America book to where he is in every other book. Seems like a lot to reconcile, but this arc has been pretty solid.

I'm thinking about dropping Indestructible Hulk. It's not bad, but it's not a book that I am excited to read every month either. I will probably wait until after the Simonson run though. Need to support classic creators.

Also, looks like Bendis was a fan of Mike Carey's X-Men run judging from this week's issue.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Watched Donner's Superman, amazing how it holds up. For someone my age who grew up watching it on Betamax taped from HBO, it reminded me why I dislike the jeans and work boots New 52 Superman. Superman works for me when he is the dean of super heroes with the weight of his history behind him.

Owzers

My interest has diminished greatly regarding Justice League Dark, 15-17 was hard to get through. The main flaw in this arc is that neither of the two sides to this battle are interesting, especially the Epoch/scientists. Despite liking the characters that Lemire has to work with, I'm thinking issue #19 will be my last with the series.

Acid08

Banned
Watched Donner's Superman, amazing how it holds up. For someone my age who grew up watching it on Betamax taped from HBO, it reminded me why I dislike the jeans and work boots New 52 Superman. Superman works for me when he is the dean of super heroes with the weight of his history behind him.
I prefer jeans and boots Supes. At least to armor Supes.

Acid08

Banned
Alright, impressions of my first few issues for this week:

Saga 11

Emotional roller coaster, this issue. LYING CAT IS OKAY!!!!! So happy about that. Barr died more quickly than I expected, was hoping for one more talk between him, his wife, and Marko. Flashback at the beginning was hilarious.

Superior Spidey 6

First off, I actually rather liked Ramos's art this issue. It honestly looked like he was channeling Stegman is a few panels. Still hate the way he draws Peter Spidey's eyes though.
Watching JJJ get embarrassed is always fun. Ock Spidey is going off the fucking deep end. I was fine with him offing Massacre but he's just going nuts now. Dude has issues.

Invincible 101

Decent issue. Needs more action and less yelling though. Fucking everyone has been yelling constantly for the past four issues.

Indestructible Hulk 5

GREAT issue. Finally some good action. Best part of the issue? Hulk tryna get his fuck on with that sexy Atlantean chick.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finally got around to reading SAGA this week. Sorry comicGAF, dunno what took me so long. Delicious comic goodness.

There is too much incredible and moreish entertainment in this world.

MartyStu

Irreddemable

I rather like this series. It is not super impressive, but read sort of like a horror story, it is quite effective.

diaspora

Superior Spider-Man:
Both Otto and Peter grew up getting marginalized and bullied in highschool. Issue 6 just highlights how Peter, while flawed by his lack of focus which Otto has, was able to grow the fuck up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Gail Simone's Deadpool & Agent X are great, I loved UDON's art on the run.

Agreed. I loved her udon run. Its a shame that Mary zero has completely fallen off the face of the earth since its end though. But I understand.

Acid08

Banned
SSM Speculation

Thoughts that Jean might expose Otto? She's poking around into everyone's minds, not too far of a stretch to think that they might interact at some point.

diaspora

SSM Speculation

Thoughts that Jean might expose Otto? She's poking around into everyone's minds, not too far of a stretch to think that they might interact at some point.

It might explain a later cover that
shows Peter and Otto's in the maze of Peter's mind, IMO implying a confrontation.

Nudull

Banned
Agreed. I loved her udon run. Its a shame that Mary zero has completely fallen off the face of the earth since its end though. But I understand.

Hope it isn't too hard to find in trade form. : /

EDIT: Well crap, it hasn't been collected. This'll be a bit trickier to get, then. :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
SSM Speculation

I doubt it, this has been in the works for far longer that the rest of MarvelNOW.

MartyStu

SSM Speculation

Is there some indication that they will run into each other?

Currently reading the dark tower books. Have a feeling SSM might do something like that.

Also how were to the DT comics. Are they adaptation or side stories?

Superior Spider-Man:
Both Otto and Peter grew up getting marginalized and bullied in highschool. Issue 6 just highlights how Peter, while flawed by his lack of focus which Otto has, was able to grow the fuck up.

It helps that Peter had loving caretakers in Uncle Ben/Aunt May who taught him right from wrong. Doc Ock just had his old drunkard for a father.

I think that's one of the interesting parallels between the characters. They have similar upbringings, great power, but only one was taught how to use it responsibly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It helps that Peter had loving caretakers in Uncle Ben/Aunt May who taught him right from wrong. Doc Ock just had his old drunkard for a father.

I think that's one of the interesting parallels between the characters. They have similar upbringings, great power, but only one was taught how to use it responsibly.

It's why I'm hoping that Slott does a version of the
Death of the Stacy's
but with Otto. It certainly looks like he might too.

Ephemeris

.......no fucking clue.

grant_twitter.jpg

Acid08

Banned
It's why I'm hoping that Slott does a version of the
Death of the Stacy's
but with Otto. It certainly looks like he might too.

Yeah, seems likely and would be cool.
I doubt it, this has been in the works for far longer that the rest of MarvelNOW.
True. I'm anxious so know how they're going to get out of this. If Peter is going to be left with nothing after or if other people are going to know and forgive.

My thoughts on Action Comics #18.

Weird shit. But as far as I can tell it's exploring the idea of a higher dimensional being coming into a lower dimension and realizing that the "rules" don't operate the same. If we entered a 2 dimensional universe we'd find the rule changes equally baffling. Thus the talk about "being stuck on fly paper".

I understood Action #18 fine, even though the goofy ass dialouge did its best to facilitate that.

Honestly when people say they don't understand Morrison, it makes me feel better about myself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, seems likely and would be cool.

True. I'm anxious so know how they're going to get out of this. If Peter is going to be left with nothing after or if other people are going to know and forgive.

I honestly think it's going to come down to MJ and Carly taking some sort of action. Especially Carly since she has access to the brain machine, but by this point they both know that something's up and between them they've got all the puzzle pieces. Maybe they get Max to help.

If Peter goes back anytime soon.

He'll be back before the winter. No way can they keep this up more than a year at the rate it's going.

.......no fucking clue.

Legit question did Morrison ever even wrap up how Clark gets his identity back? I don't remember that ever being covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom