• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

How about we get a Batgirl and Nightwing team up book? I'd buy that.

Nocenti and Lobdell team-up
3AQmK.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just read the Shazam trade. Why arent we getting more of this. ??

Johns was in great form and Gary Frank killed it on art

It's weird. Is he being used much in Justice League or Forever Evil? Is it situation where his character is in flux so they're purposefully delaying a solo book until he comes to some kind of status quo?

It's weird. Is he being used much in Justice League or Forever Evil? Is it situation where his character is in flux so they're purposefully delaying a solo book until he comes to some kind of status quo?

He is
stuck inside of the Firestorm Matrix at the moment
, with the rest of the Prime League.

Messi

Something is bothering me about the preview for the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man #200.
If Aunt May is throwing a party to celebrate the life of Peter, 2 years after his death. How exactly did Miles and Ganke get invited? They shouldn't be there. Miles never met Peter and Ganke is just a shitty character.

Fuck Ganke.

Toa TAK

Banned
Something is bothering me about the preview for the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man #200.
If Aunt May is throwing a party to celebrate the life of Peter, 2 years after his death. How exactly did Miles and Ganke get invited? They shouldn't be there. Miles never met Peter and Ganke is just a shitty character.

Fuck Ganke.

Spider-Men for the Miles part.

Was Spider-Men worth reading if I really like Miles and am kinda ok with Peter?

Edit: I wish they would use Strix more in the main Batgirl book. I really like the relationship they have. It seems really sweet.

There is a scene in Spider-Men that had me on the verge of tears, having read all of the first series of Ultimate Spider-Man. You'll know it when you see it.

We give Bendis a lot of shit, but the whole run of Ultimate Spider-Man has never been less than great. Except maybe the Deadpool arc.

Messi

There is a scene in Spider-Men that had me on the verge of tears, having read all of the first series of Ultimate Spider-Man. You'll know it when you see it.

We give Bendis a lot of shit, but the whole run of Ultimate Spider-Man has never been less than great. Except maybe the Deadpool arc.

I really like the Bendis stuff i've read. I would have no hesitation buying a book with his name on it.

Just read the Shazam trade. Why arent we getting more of this. ??

Johns was in great form and Gary Frank killed it on art
DC is going to go full on Didio if he is not in the next wave of titles launched. I think they should go the cowriting route by just slapping Geoff Johns name on it and having Sterling Gates write it. Vibe would've survived if they past it off as a Geoff Johns co written joint the whole way.

I really like the Bendis stuff i've read. I would have no hesitation buying a book with his name on it.

Bendis stuff I've read and liked:
All of Ultimate Spider-Man
The original run of Powers i.e. everything up to the "Forever" arc
Everything in the first New Avengers omnibus except Disassembled (Scarlet Witch Goes Mad was a train wreck, but still better than Johns' Avengers run)
Dark Avengers
Moon Knight
Alias (think this would be right up your alley, Messi)
Most of his Daredevil run

Now I feel dirty. I'm definitely sensing a pattern to this though.

Messi

Bendis stuff I've read and liked:
All of Ultimate Spider-Man
The original run of Powers i.e. everything up to the "Forever" arc
Everything in the first New Avengers omnibus except Disassembled (Scarlet Witch Goes Mad was a train wreck, but still better than Johns' Avengers run)
Dark Avengers
Moon Knight
Alias (think this would be right up your alley, Messi)
Most of his Daredevil run

Now I feel dirty. I'm definitely sensing a pattern to this though.

No X-Men?

Eldren

Some more info on Original Sin and 2 pages of uncoloured art. I wonder if this will summon donie to return to us.

Back in October I bought two Breaking Bad pieces by Francesco Francavilla; they arrived at the beginning of February and I've now finally got them framed and ready to hang:

(Apologies for the less-than-amazing picture quality.)

I'm really happy with these. There were only about 120 made of each so I'm glad I managed to snag a pair while I could, I think they sold out almost immediately. They're first pieces of art I've ever bought and I think I'm going to look for more.

No X-Men?

First, I dropped most of the X-Books after Battle of the Atom, so I can't comment on anything after that. I am still reading All-New but will be dropping after the GOTG crossover ends. The first arc of All-New was pretty good, solid 6.5/10 book. There's some great moments gotten from the novelty value of the O5's arrival, I really like the Cyclops monologue with the line "There would have to be five of them, and they would have to be amazing.".

There's just not a lot to it though. Jean Grey has bored me to tears since I was a five-year old watching the 90s X-Men cartoon and the others don't interest me at all. Immonen is the real star of that book to me. It's a world away from how good Bendis' first New Avengers arc was, although that's probably the nostalgia talking.

I tried,Uncanny, the new characters irritate me greatly. Even Hickman's newer Avengers like Snorefest Smasher and Bland Hyperion are preferable to Tempus and Goldballs.

Above all, Kitty joining Team Cyclops after BOTA was the height of bullshit, and reeked of Bendis taking all the good toys. I don't really like that Aaron's book, that I was enjoying, was derailed for event stuff and then Bendis.

I'm also reading Guardians, but I have no idea why and may drop soon. We're 13 issues in and bugger all has happened. Those Abnett/Lanning collections need to hurry up and get here.

zeeaykay

In anticipation for Captain America: Winter Soldier, and also because I haven't read anything by Brubaker I didn't love, I read through the Captain America: Winter Soldier hardcover going to issue 14 of his run...

For the first time, I'm disappointed by Brubaker. It's not that it was bad, it's just that it was almost completely forgettable. When I read Criminal or Velvet, each issue is satisfying in some way, rewarding me for reaching each chapter. With Cap, I felt like I was mostly reading it to get through it and was hoping for it to get better.

My main issue with it is that it seemed very safe. Maybe that's one if the big differences between independent vs. Marvel. I know they were dealing with a huge plot point, so I could see why they played it a bit more safe than they usually would.

Even the art by Epting, while beautiful, seemed to be very static, which is weird because in Velvet it seems much more dynamic.

Nothing about the art or story were bad or offensive, per se, but it was just above mediocre, which is less than I expect from that creative team.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Ah its not that bad, she is only my favourite character in the book...

:p

Mine too. She wasn't in the X-Books much during my formative comic reading years, but the Whedon run and going back to the Claremont classics made her my favourite X-Man (X-Woman?)..

Read FBP Vol. 1 today, it was glorious.

Kind of regretting not picking up the singles, but it read amazingly well collected. It had a lot of Chew vibes but I think that's expected with this certain genre. I was a fan of Simon Oliver when The Exterminators was being released awhile ago and haven't read anything by him since, he did some great character work here. Robbie Rodriguez layouts are really damn good, another artist to add to the watch list. This series is a wonderful surprise and it's no wonder ComicGAF sings praises for it.

Messi

Mine too. She wasn't in the X-Books much during my formative comic reading years, but the Whedon run and going back to the Claremont classics made her my favourite X-Man (X-Woman?)..

Pretty sure its still X-Men.

I know its not bendis, but I am really enjoying Amazing X-Men.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Read FBP Vol. 1 today, it was glorious.

Kind of regretting not picking up the singles, but it read amazingly well collected. It had a lot of Chew vibes but I think that's expected with this certain genre. I was a fan of Simon Oliver when The Exterminators was being released awhile ago and haven't read anything by him since, he did some great character work here. Robbie Rodriguez layouts are really damn good, another artist to add to the watch list. This series is a wonderful surprise and it's no wonder ComicGAF sings praises for it.

Yeah buddy! I sing FBP's praises simply because it injects existing and plausible science into the story's foundation but still remains entirely accessible, smart, and fun. The characters are totally natural and I immediately felt attached to Adam and Cicero. There's some nice history and world-building going on with Adam's father's past and how it ties into the current tears and bubbleverses popping up, too. Also, the series just got even better with Rosa's introduction, as it feels like there's now a solid roster of characters on the FBP.

That Robbi Rodriguez art is stunning too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Guys, I need help to identify a specific Issue of (Uncanny?) X-Men. It released a couple of months or years ago. I am really not sure, but I think it was around the events of Schism.

It is an Issue which is hold in the style of of the very first Issue of X-Men and recaps the status quo. The first page is very the same as in the original comic, Xaviar tries to call his X-Men, but there are things annoted like "X is long gone", "Y has left the team" and similar.

Does somebody know what I mean? It would be great if you could help me with this :D

Toa TAK

Banned
Was Spider-Men worth reading if I really like Miles and am kinda ok with Peter?
Yes, please. If you care at all for these characters you're going to want to check this out.

No way, I loved the Deadpool arc. Even the way he handled Deadpool was a nice twist, I thought.

No way, I loved the Deadpool arc. Even the way he handled Deadpool was a nice twist, I thought.

You are literally the first person I've ever met with that opinion. Turning the Regeneratin' Degenerate into a crappier Donald Pierce (is such a thing even possible?) was horrible.

Toa TAK

Banned
You are literally the first person I've ever met with that opinion. Turning the Regeneratin' Degenerate into a crappier Donald Pierce (is such a thing even possible?) was horrible.

lol. I dunno, I thoroughly enjoyed the arc through and through. For me it's up there with The Clone Saga. I just wished Deadpool would come back. Maybe in the future Miles Morales series?

Time to pull and reread my back issues of the 2nd arc of Batman Zero Year in preparation of the final issue in the arc this Wednesday.

Read Deadpool 1-12

Surprisingly it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Dead Presidents was pretty terrible, but I could see how it would attract new readers. At least Tony Moore always delivers. The Tony Stark issue really stood out, was laughing through the whole thing.

Cheska

Anyone reading Garth Ennis' Rover Red Charlie? I read the first issue and it seemed interesting.

I've been reading it and it's definitely been a hoot :p Maybe it's because I work with animals, but a lot of the interactions and their mentality makes me laugh out loud more times than I can count.

In anticipation for Captain America: Winter Soldier, and also because I haven't read anything by Brubaker I didn't love, I read through the Captain America: Winter Soldier hardcover going to issue 14 of his run...

For the first time, I'm disappointed by Brubaker. It's not that it was bad, it's just that it was almost completely forgettable. When I read Criminal or Velvet, each issue is satisfying in some way, rewarding me for reaching each chapter. With Cap, I felt like I was mostly reading it to get through it and was hoping for it to get better.

My main issue with it is that it seemed very safe. Maybe that's one if the big differences between independent vs. Marvel. I know they were dealing with a huge plot point, so I could see why they played it a bit more safe than they usually would.

Even the art by Epting, while beautiful, seemed to be very static, which is weird because in Velvet it seems much more dynamic.

Nothing about the art or story were bad or offensive, per se, but it was just above mediocre, which is less than I expect from that creative team.

that's actually pretty much how i felt when i read it like two years ago. I read Red Menace as well and I don't feel like i need to continue reading the rest of the run

I posted very similar sentiments in last month's thread. I do plan to continue because many people say that's when it takes a leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom