• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

Lazarus #6: Lazarus is a little too bleak and sparse for me. I like the main character and concept, but i'm not loving the pacing or how the setting plays out.

Anyone here reading Lazarus? I don't see many comments.

I picked up the first arc of floppies and dropped it right after for similar reasons. Many of Rucka's stories are the definition of slow-burn, which is not bad when you're invested in the characters and enjoying the tension building up within the created world, but Lazarus just flat out bored me. I didn't latch on to any single character and with the pace being what it is, it became the worst type of comic to keep buying, one where I kept going "it'll get better next issue, I trust Rucka." I wanted to like it, because his Punisher run was fucking great, but just couldn't.

Similar feelings. I wasn't really invested in the characters. Certain aspects of the story were interesting but not enough to keep me coming back. By the time I read my last issue I didn't feel it was worth pulling every month. I'll give it another shot when there's more issues in the bag or maybe even when the series has finished. A lot of Rucka's work that I've liked previously has been stuff I've binged on, maybe it'll work again for this series.

I've been out of comics for a long time.... like 15 years.

I recently moved to a new city and out of the blue decided to stop in a comic shop that I frequently drive by. I saw a lot of interesting looking stuff and am thinking about trying a few books to get back into it.

I realize this is a hugely ambiguous and subjective question, but can anyone recommend a few non typical superhero comics from the last couple of years (or even more recent)? There looked like a ton of fun independent stuff out there.

For reference, one I saw that I thought looked pretty cool was Fatale. I think I'm going to start with the TPBs of that one. Back in the day, I enjoyed the 80s and 90s Marvel stuff as well as the first few years of Image.

I recently moved to a new city and out of the blue decided to stop in a comic shop that I frequently drive by. I saw a lot of interesting looking stuff and am thinking about trying a few books to get back into it.

I realize this is a hugely ambiguous and subjective question, but can anyone recommend a few non typical superhero comics from the last couple of years (or even more recent)? There looked like a ton of fun independent stuff out there.

For reference, one I saw that I thought looked pretty cool was Fatale. I think I'm going to start with the TPBs of that one. Back in the day, I enjoyed the 80s and 90s Marvel stuff as well as the first few years of Image.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Daredevil by Mark Waid are arguably the two best ongoing super hero runs right now. I would start there. I've also recently enjoyed Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man, Kirkman's Invincible and Synder's Batman.

Something is bothering me about the preview for the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man #200.
If Aunt May is throwing a party to celebrate the life of Peter, 2 years after his death. How exactly did Miles and Ganke get invited? They shouldn't be there. Miles never met Peter and Ganke is just a shitty character.

Fuck Ganke.

You don't even need Spider-Men. Aunt May, Gwen, and Mary Jane all met Miles in his own title. Issues #13 and #14.

ogdPlG3.jpg

It is entirely probable that he'll move in with Aunt May after the events of Cataclysm.

Vyer

I've been reading it and it's definitely been a hoot :p Maybe it's because I work with animals, but a lot of the interactions and their mentality makes me laugh out loud more times than I can count.

I have been getting it. Haven't gotten the latest issue but yeah It is interesting. Different for sure.

I just read issue 3.....yeah, it's definitely an Ennis comic! Pretty fucked up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He found out that Miles was Spider-Man and straight-up abandoned him. Miles left to fight and he came back to find his dad had packed up and left the apartment.

Which was cold as shit. They should have just killed off the Ultimate Universe and had him room with 616 Peter or something after that.

He found out that Miles was Spider-Man and straight-up abandoned him. Miles left to fight and he came back to find his dad had packed up and left the apartment.

Damn, yep time to open up the boarding house of young superheroes.

Actually this was one of my favorite things Bendis did when Johnny and Bobby moved in. Too bad it was short lived :'(

So I got my first comic since dropping them a few issues into the New 52(and only followed Inc's remaining story online).

Batman #28
Holy Shit,
Im back in for Batman Eternal.

Now
give me Cass back
and I will return to buying every Batbook.

A lot of good Image stuff if you're looking for non-superhero. One non typical superhero comic I would recommend from Image is Sex. Yes, that is the name of the book. It's on issue 11 and has one TBP out, with another on the way. It's about a recently retired superhero who tries to leave his adventurous life behind to continue his normal life as a successful entrepreneur, which is not as easy as he may have thought.

I will also second Fraction's Hawkeye.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Daredevil by Mark Waid are arguably the two best ongoing super hero runs right now.

A lot of good Image stuff if you're looking for non-superhero. One non typical superhero comic I would recommend from Image is Sex. Yes, that is the name of the book. It's on issue 11 and has one TBP out, with another on the way. It's about a recently retired superhero who tries to leave his adventurous life behind to continue his normal life as a successful entrepreneur, which is not as easy as he may have thought.

I will also second Fraction's Hawkeye.

Whoops, guess I should have worded that better. Looking for the non-usual, non-superhero stuff, but I did just look at Daredevil and Hawkeye and both look pretty good. I'll also give Sex a shot.

What kind of rabbit hole have I gone down? Nonetheless, thanks for the recommendations!

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, I've been out of this thread for a while, so I'll do a few impressions, why not.

Velvet is one of the best books of the year and is still criminally underrated by a lot of the mainstream comics audience. Everyone, buy this book, seriously. With Bru getting Hollywood attention due to The Winter Soldier, it would be fucking amazing if there was a TV series made out of this book. Velvet would destroy Agents of SHIELD.

And The Punisher is also just getting better and better! I don't think I heard any of you guys mention it, but Jake the editor confirmed that Rachel Cole-Alves will indeed be showing up at some point in the series, as Edmondson was a big fan of Rucka's run! So pumped for the California reunion of Punishers!

Also, Frank's new skull mask should be a standard part of his outfit, probably one of the best costume additions to kick off 2014. I like how it actually differentiates itself from Crossbones' mask.

Whoops, guess I should have worded that better. Looking for the non-usual, non-superhero stuff, but I did just look at Daredevil and Hawkeye and both look pretty good. I'll also give Sex a shot.

What kind of rabbit hole have I gone down? Nonetheless, thanks for the recommendations!

Even better! Like I said, Image is putting out a lot of great, non-superhero books. Here's the ones that I would recommend:

Saga - A mix of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Great writing and art. It deserves every bit of hype and praise that it gets. Two trades available, the third is releasing this month and you will be caught up until more issues come in May.

Rat Queens - The best book to read if you grew up on Lord of the Rings, D&D and RPG games set in the typical fantasy setting. Although the humor is what really shines, it also has a lot of heart. The first trade is coming in about a month.

Other Image titles on my pull list:
Black Science
Dead Body Road
Deadly Class
East of West
The Fuse
Lazarus
Manifest Destiny
Starlight
Edit - And Sex Criminals

Most of these are relatively new titles so it should make finding back issues a lot less tasking and inexpensive.

The Spring Foward List.

Batgirl 29
Batman 29
Coffin Hill 6
Constantine 12
Justice League 3000 4
Justice League of America 13
Nightwing 29
Superman Wonder Woman 6

X-Files Season 10 10

Superior Spider-Man 29
One other Marvel Book.

Cheska

Did anyone else pick up Veil #1 last week? I love Greg Rucka, but I don't know, this issue just felt like it fell short.

I finished X-Men: Days of Future Past the other day and was a little underwhelmed with it. I think I was just expecting a little more from it, especially since the "present and future" theme was really only two issues.

I don't know, am I missing something here? Maybe it just wasn't for me? What do you guys think of Days of Future past?

I think the analysis at this link really does a great job at discussing the significance of DoFP (skip down to "Teebore's Take"):

http://gentlemenofleisure1.blogspot.com/2012/01/x-amining-x-men-141.html

Basically while it still stands as a really good, somewhat self-contained, two issue time travel story (no decompression here), it's an incredibly significant work in the context of the time in which came out (a time when alternate future dystopias weren't yet a dime a dozen) and also a story which would be a huge influence on the direction of the book all the way through today.

Even better! Like I said, Image is putting out a lot of great, non-superhero books. Here's the ones that I would recommend:

Saga - A mix of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Great writing and art. It deserves every bit of hype and praise that it gets. Two trades available, the third is releasing this month and you will be caught up until more issues come in May.

Rat Queens - The best book to read if you grew up on Lord of the Rings, D&D and RPG games set in the typical fantasy setting. Although the humor is what really shines, it also has a lot of heart. The first trade is coming in about a month.

Other Image titles on my pull list:
Black Science
Dead Body Road
Deadly Class
East of West
The Fuse
Lazarus
Manifest Destiny
Starlight
Edit - And Sex Criminals

Most of these are relatively new titles so it should make finding back issues a lot less tasking and inexpensive.

Thanks to the free comixoligy list posted a few posts back, I just read through the first issue of Sex Criminals and Saga. I enjoyed both and will definitely check out Rat Queens too.

Thanks again!

ElNarez

Banned
We now return to a very special desk of LIST
Astro City #10
Batman #29
Justice League of America #13
Superman Wonder Woman #6

East of West #10
Uber #10

All-New X-Men #24
Black Widow #4
Captain Marvel #1
Daredevil #1 (I still think the title never recovered from The Omega Effect however it's still better than most comics, and that probably includes YOUR FAVORITE COMIC)
Deadpool #25
Fantastic Four #2
Hawkeye #17
Mighty Avengers #8
Revolutionary War: Motormouth #1 (Really at this point is anyone else buying it but me? Don't care it still rules)
Secret Avengers #1 (From the creative team that brought you Zero #1. THIS IS THE NEW HOTNESS)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #9
X-Force #2
X-Men Legacy #300

-Yeah, I'm not picking up FBP anymore due to me actually not getting it. I'm a bad person. Sorry. Not sorry.
-If you buy Avengers Undercover after the disaster that was Arena you are a SUCKER and you deserve what you'll get, which is a shit sequel to a shit comic
-Also dropped: All-New X-Factor, to the surprise of no one ever, in case I did not address it previously

idk, i might buy Secret Avengers. more importantly, I learned that there's a trade of old Deadshot stories that came out recently, and Deadshot is actually the best DC character so i'm gonna pick it up sooner rather than later
Daredevil #1 (I still think the title never recovered from The Omega Effect however it's still better than most comics, and that probably includes YOUR FAVORITE COMIC)
alright yeah TOE was a waste of time and went nowhere but what

ElNarez

Banned
idk, i might buy Secret Avengers. more importantly, I learned that there's a trade of old Deadshot stories that came out recently, and Deadshot is actually the best DC character so i'm gonna pick it up sooner rather than later

alright yeah TOE was a waste of time and went nowhere but what

Well, the book lost Marcos Martin (And even Samnee is a downgrade from Martin, come on, you know it) and it never really recovered from the loss of momentum. Like, those first 11 issues were absolute magic, and then it wasn't really all that.

And TOE wasn't even the climax of the first arc, there were two more issues after that and it ended with one of the wettest farts of an ending ever devised, and then it kinda became the model for all the arcs following. They all went for slightly too long, and didn't really go anywhere, including the latest one with the Sons of the Serpent.

Again, it had neat ideas, and Chris Samnee is still a good artist. It just wasn't the same book we all fell in love with, and maybe it couldn't really be, but I hope this relaunch shows that at least they'll try.

Hellers

The Marvel unlimited app has been updated (On iOS anyway) and now actually seems to work. It even has "read next issue feature"

Top tip. If you have problems with the update delete and reinstall. It seems I had something wrong with mine that was stopping certain issues from loading. Maybe cache files or something. Even then it reinstalled the old version and made me update again for some bizarre reason.

C'mon DC. Ball is in your court now. I'll subscribe to you guys too.

Whoops sorry about that. Y The Last Man is a finished series that was the most critically acclaimed series of the 2000s by Brian K Vaughn and probably my personal favorite run of all time. In addition you can't go wrong with the first few trades of the Walking Dead or more recently Saga, Sex Criminals, and Rat Queens.

I'm not much of an indie guy but I've really gotten into Black Science. Only four issues in but it's been great; it's like a more fucked up version of Sliders.

Owzers

The Marvel unlimited app has been updated (On iOS anyway) and now actually seems to work. It even has "read next issue feature"

Top tip. If you have problems with the update delete and reinstall. It seems I had something wrong with mine that was stopping certain issues from loading. Maybe cache files or something. Even then it reinstalled the old version and made me update again for some bizarre reason.

C'mon DC. Ball is in your court now. I'll subscribe to you guys too.
Native reading...for ios 6 and 7.....does that mean what I think it does?

It looks good....still doesn't have fit-to-birdie, but it does seem to be at a higher resolution on my ipad 3 and i might have to sign back up before i finish my backlog. Or i could wait...right now there are two deals, 99 cents for a month, or $69 with 3 extra months.

Messi

List of considerable taste:

Batman
Batgirl
Batman Lil Gotham
FBP
Superman Wonder Woman
TMNT
East of West
X-Factor
All new X-Men
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Deadpool
Hawkeye
Superior Spider-Man
Coffin Hill
Secret Avengers
Daredevil
Superior foes of Spider-Man

tim1138

ASTRO CITY #10
CAPTAIN MARVEL #1
COFFIN HILL #6
CONSTANTINE #12
JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #4
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #13
SECRET AVENGERS #1
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #6

The Rronglist is up:

DC COMICS
Batman #29
Justice League Of America #13
Superman Wonder Woman #6

IDW PUBLISHING
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #32
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #27

IMAGE COMICS
Invincible #109
Walking Dead #123

MARVEL COMICS
All-New X-Factor #4
All-New X-Men #24
Avengers Undercover #1
Black Widow #4
Daredevil #1
Deadpool #25.NOW
Hawkeye #17
Mighty Avengers #8
Secret Avengers #1
Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #9
Superior Spider-Man #29
X-Force #2
X-Men Legacy #300

*Ended up dropping JL3K, at least momentarily. I'll pick it up again if I hear anything interesting.
*Decided to trade-wait for FBP and wait for more reviews before picking up both X-Force and Captain Marvel.

FBP is not a book you trade wait. It's too damn fucking awesome and it needs monthly buyers dor more trades. Remember before they launched this wave of Vertigo books Didio said that they needed to pull comics superstar numbers outof the gate. Still waiting on Bermejo and Milligan books. Da heyl are they?

Owzers

Not a lot of people pulling Batgirl. Hmmmph

I had given Batgirl a try when the New 52 launched and didn't think much of it, i don't really give books second chances :( That doesn't seem fair, but retrying books isn't very practical.

Messi

I had given Batgirl a try when the New 52 launched and didn't think much of it, i don't really give books second chances :( That doesn't seem fair, but retrying books isn't very practical.

Why not,in some cases the book gets creative changes or hits a groove like Green Arrow or Catwoman. I had written off green Arrow but the guys here sold me on its current quality and now it's awesome.

Unless they renumber them to #1 as part of a gimmick, eh? *sick guitar riff* Ooowww!!!

I'm sorry.

Owzers

Why not,in some cases the book gets creative changes or hits a groove like Green Arrow or Catwoman. I had written off green Arrow but the guys here sold me on its current quality and now it's awesome.

i should have prefaced it with creative changes, i ordered the first trade of Lemire's Green Arrow for that reason too. It's very rare that a new arc's premise is so good that it gets me back to the same writers book that i've already dropped. I can't think of any examples where this happened and i was happy. Even trying to think of books i continue to buy that have improved significantly from the start, all that comes to mind right now is Uncanny Avengers.

Unless they renumber them to #1 as part of a gimmick, eh? *sick guitar riff* Ooowww!!!

I'm sorry.

If they are the same writer though? I don't think that works on me, the premise would definitely have to be something that really got my attention. If they renumber a book that i tried and didn't like, when i see the announcement my first thought is " that's great, but i don't like you"

I want you to know that I laughed and it makes me sad.

But on a serious note, Silkymonkey makes a legit point. Once you've committed to leaving a book it's going to take something special to bring you back onboard. It's the very reason titles tend to do crossovers and events, hoping that it'll bring lapsed readers back on to give it a new chance. So I totally understand his point.

Messi

But on a serious note, Silkymonkey makes a legit point. Once you've committed to leaving a book it's going to take something special to bring you back onboard. It's the very reason titles tend to do crossovers and events, hoping that it'll bring lapsed readers back on to give it a new chance. So I totally understand his point.

I would run into this problem if I ever successfully dropped a book.

arkon

Same here. I stayed on that title way too long convincing myself I was still enjoying that gumpf. A problem I had with a lot of my new 52 titles.

I enjoyed Simone's work on Secret Six but her recent stuff hasn't done anything for me. Shame that.

Messi

Same here. I stayed on that title way too long convincing myself I was still enjoying that gumpf. A problem I had with a lot of my new 52 titles.

I enjoyed Simone's work on Secret Six but her recent stuff hasn't done anything for me. Shame that.

I hear her work on Red Sonja is great.

Timo

Didnt dig Moon Knight too much. Did enjoy She Hulk number 2. Not sure why im still getting Revival. Day Men number 3 was pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom