• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So marvel updated their marvel unlimited ap and now the reader is actually usable. I still enjoy Comixology's better but I'm now intrigued by the service. I've never used it, so is it with it? It looks like for classic runs it's good but new stuff doesn't arrive until a year or a year and a half out.

Owzers

So marvel updated their marvel unlimited ap and now the reader is actually usable. I still enjoy Comixology's better but I'm now intrigued by the service. I've never used it, so is it with it? It looks like for classic runs it's good but new stuff doesn't arrive until a year or a year and a half out.

New stuff is more like 6 months-ish usually. The new app might be native resolution for ios 6 and 7, but text does not match the quality of cmx hd.

It's worth it if you don't buy a ton of marvel monthly, or haven't read some of their better previous runs as they have full runs of things like Astonishing X-Men, Immortal Iron Fist, Nextwave, Runaways, Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four, etc etc etc. Lots of great content.

They have a promotion right now for one month at 99 cents, what's to lose? ( as long as you cancel before auto-renewal if you don't want to continue) code: SXSW99

Well, the book lost Marcos Martin (And even Samnee is a downgrade from Martin, come on, you know it) and it never really recovered from the loss of momentum. Like, those first 11 issues were absolute magic, and then it wasn't really all that.

And TOE wasn't even the climax of the first arc, there were two more issues after that and it ended with one of the wettest farts of an ending ever devised, and then it kinda became the model for all the arcs following. They all went for slightly too long, and didn't really go anywhere, including the latest one with the Sons of the Serpent.

Again, it had neat ideas, and Chris Samnee is still a good artist. It just wasn't the same book we all fell in love with, and maybe it couldn't really be, but I hope this relaunch shows that at least they'll try.
I do agree that it wasn't the same it was immediately following the crossover, but i disagree that momentum didn't recover. losing Martin was bad, but he was there for like 3 issues (solid ass issues tho). I think it hit its stride again whenever Samnee became regular, because he's a fucking excellent storyteller and when that book got darker and Matt had to fight Ikari, it was the best comic I was reading on both the art and writing fronts.

which reminds me, i should really finish up that run

The only bad segment of Waid's DD where when it lost Martin and Rivera, and had a crummy crossover with Avenging and then the dreaded Khoi Pham kicked in. Then Samnee became a regular and it went back to being the best superhero book on the stands again.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
But on a serious note, Silkymonkey makes a legit point. Once you've committed to leaving a book it's going to take something special to bring you back onboard. It's the very reason titles tend to do crossovers and events, hoping that it'll bring lapsed readers back on to give it a new chance. So I totally understand his point.

Crossovers and events have the opposite effect on me. The Forever Evil issues of Constantine ruined the book for me and I'll probably drop it soon. I dropped X-Men after Battle of the Atom.

Owzers

I was all hyped when Marvel announced Hickman was taking over the Avengers side of the Marvel Universe but that hype is gone now. What happened to my Mars people with their gardens and shenanigans?

New stuff is more like 6 months-ish usually. The new app might be native resolution for ios 6 and 7, but text does not match the quality of cmx hd.

It's worth it if you don't buy a ton of marvel monthly, or haven't read some of their better previous runs as they have full runs of things like Astonishing X-Men, Immortal Iron Fist, Nextwave, Runaways, Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four, etc etc etc. Lots of great content.

They have a promotion right now for one month at 99 cents, what's to lose? ( as long as you cancel before auto-renewal if you don't want to continue) code: SXSW99

Hmmm. I wonder if I could work with a 6 month delay on marvel. And buy in sale things with CMX. I agree the comics look worse then cmx hd, but marvels digital pricing is horrible, they wait like 8 months to go to 1.99. And at least the reader works alright now.

Hmmm. I wonder if I could work with a 6 month delay on marvel. And buy in sale things with CMX. I agree the comics look worse then cmx hd, but marvels digital pricing is horrible. And at least the reader works alright now.

Does it? Android or iOS? I've had terrible luck on my Nexus.

Caught up on some books. The new Punisher is very good as people have been saying. I didn't read the Rucka run other than War Zone, but I'm on board for this.

Moon Knight is craziness and I love it. Shalvey's art was killer in this, some fantastic layouts through the issue.

Second issue of Loki was interesting. Al Ewing can do little wrong for me, and I'm really intrigued by
the introduction of the girl who sees through lies

Wolverine and the X-Men has massive potential. I didn't really like Magneto, feels like a regression in his character.

Great upcoming week in prospect. AVENGERS UNDERCOVER, BABY! New Batman and Hawkguy too.

Owzers

Hmmm. I wonder if I could work with a 6 month delay on marvel. And buy in sale things with CMX. I agree the comics look worse then cmx hd, but marvels digital pricing is horrible, they wait like 8 months to go to 1.99. And at least the reader works alright now.

When/if i resubscribe, i use it to read the stuff that i pass up when ordering from dcbs monthly. Usually it takes the place of trade waiting,but sometimes i'll still go ahead and order a trade if i'm really interested in reading and supporting a book as with Superior Foes of Spidey.

VeeP

I love that part of Batman's reasons for picking Jason was that he has the most cosmic experience put of all of them. So random, lol.

Well he has been hanging out with Starfire and been in space battles, not too mention he is the only member of the Bat Family that kills, which Bruce might have needed.

I really wish Red Hood & the Outlaws was better though. I dropped the book awhile back. I wasn't a fan of the mystical bullshit and other things. I feel a story about Jason and his struggles of coming back to life, and relations with other heroes/bat family would be far better.

I remember an early issue of Red Hood/or Titans, where Tim talked to Jason about that.

Edit:

Here it is:

LINK

And I pray every day Tim gets his own book and a good writer to write it.

sca2511

I was wondering if anyone was heading to ECCC? I wanted to know if someone could pick up some prints for me.

And Messi, loving your avatar.

Cheska

Cat Approved List

Batgirl #29
Batman #29
FPB #8
Justice League #4
Superman/Wonder Woman #6

East of West #10

All New X-Factor #4
Black Widow #4
Captain Marvel #1
Secret Avengers #1
Superior Spider Man #29

Eldren

After what feels like months I've finally finished the Secret Warriors omnibus. Man, that was quite a read. Some fantastic worldbuilding from Hickman, bringing in all these characters and ideas and combining them under the umbrella of espionage and secret societies. Great artwork throughout, despite a number of different artists. There were a few odd quirks around the middle-ish but I suspect they may have been explained if I'd read other books that were ongoing at the time; I don't know if it was a mistake by the artist or intentional but
there were a few issues where Daisy has long hair and Yo-Yo has shaved her head, with no explanations. It was really confusing for a minute but not a big deal overall.

It felt I was reading something we don't often see at Marvel, with stuff like the schematics and databases that Hickman came up with, I love that kind of thing. It definitely warrants a re-read somewhere down the line, to pick up on seeds planted in early issues that finally bloom by the series' end. I do agree, however, with the criticism that the ending is a bit quick; it does feel like maybe there was a bit more story and character development planned that didn't work out. But, again, not the end of the world.

I think the next book I'm going to read is Brubaker's first Captain America trade, the Winter Soldier story. I want to read it before the film comes out in 3 weeks, but I'm not going to read the entire Cap saga, just this first trade. Then I'll move on to other things and come back to the rest later. I got the FBP trade this weekend so maybe I'll read that next.

Time for Listy McList

Coffin Hill #6
TMNT Ongoing #32
East of West #10
Invincible #109
Walking Dead #123
All-New X-Men #24
Black Widow #1
Captain Marvel #1
Hawkguy #17
Uber #10

Tizoc

The only bad segment of Waid's DD where when it lost Martin and Rivera, and had a crummy crossover with Avenging and then the dreaded Khoi Pham kicked in. Then Samnee became a regular and it went back to being the best superhero book on the stands again.

I liked the short crossovers in DD, personally, if only for the writing and characters. Greg Rucka writing Spidey was fun.

that one that Emma Rios drew was pretty cool, but she should've drawn both issues. Kano is aight enough as a fill-in guy but just looks bland following Rios

The ASM one was rather fun. I like how it seemed to start with Peter trying to get with Black Cat to get out of the romantic funk he was in, and Murdock steals his girl like a g

3272937-4350777181-21664.png

JMPerona

After a few years out comics I decided to begin again with it. The problem is that I missed a lot and I don't know where to begin now. I bought a few batman tpb (all the black glove arc) and old x-men omnibus, but I want to follow some of the new ongoing series. Which one do you recommend to follow?

About 1/3 through the Planetary Omnibus and it has been fantastic. Been taking my time, digesting the art, going back and rereading some things for context. Is this Ellis's best work?

zeeaykay

It's not a comic but has anyone read neil gaiman's american gods? It's on sale for $2 on kindle.

I stopped at about the 1/3 point. There's something about Gaiman's writing that comes off as detached, without much of an emotional core or connection to the protagonist. That's just my opinion, me and my friends felt the same about Neverwhere.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's not a comic but has anyone read neil gaiman's american gods? It's on sale for $2 on kindle.

People adore that book but I thought it was super tedious. I remember liking Anansi Boys, which is a spin-off to American Gods though.

American Gods is an utterly excellent story. If you have any interest in mythology or Neil Gaiman, then pick up this book right away. It's a really nice confluence of many of the themes Gaiman explored in his major works prior, like Sandman. A simplification of the premise is: what do the Old Gods do when they come over to a country that doesn't really believe in them.

As for Frye's point, I recently reread it, and I can say that the beginning, say 100 or so pages are not written in a particularly appealing way. The ideas are great but Gaiman hasn't developed what I consider to by a solid style at that point and there are quite a few cliches within the dialogue/writing. However, after that first fourth or even less, the writing improves, Shadow becomes less of a blank template, and you get fully involved in the characters and travels and journey.

Start with American Gods, meet Mr. Nancy, love him, and then read Anansi Boys to learn about his family. Anansi Boys is fucking hilarious, breezy, and well written.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
kiinda diggin she-hulk right now

Totally diggin' that She-Hulk. Also helps that I fucking love Pulido. I never got the first issue because my store is a shit-show, but the second one is damn good. I hope this team sticks on it for a while.

Ran Ran

I've been exclusively reading Batman for about a year now and all these Marvel movies are wanting me to get back into Marvel comics.

What's considered to be the best Marvel series going? Specifically what Avengers series.

Messi

I've been exclusively reading Batman for about a year now and all these Marvel movies are wanting me to get back into Marvel comics.

What's considered to be the best Marvel series going? Specifically what Avengers series.

The best marvel book is a toss up between Hawkeye and Thor God of Thunder. I don't read Avengers so I've no idea about team books.

Uncanny Avengers is the best but it requires a lot of context, specifically the writer's previous series, Uncanny X-Force.

Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World closely tie together, I wouldn't recommend it quite yet.

Owzers

New Avengers #14....I just hate it. I hate your Mapmakers and builders and incursions. I hate your robot speak and concepts i don't understand right away. Go away book, you have no personality at all.

iOS. It was trash before. But they just rolled out a new version. Try it now

Yeah, so it's still broken for me since I'm on Android. :(

I got it for myself as a father's day present, and it has been hit garbage all year. The Android app is literally unusable. I can't read on or offline, since it crashes every three seconds. I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled five times...no joy.

If they fix it on Android (and I'm doubtful), I'll keep subscribing. The service is conceptually perfect for me. Massive backlog, new series on a six month delay. It just has to work on my tablet.

ElNarez

Banned
New Avengers #14....I just hate it. I hate your Mapmakers and builders and incursions. I hate your robot speak and concepts i don't understand right away. Go away book, you have no personality at all.

What is there even to not understand in New Avengers? Like, I know Hickman has a reputation for making complicated books, but NA is still a pretty simple guys team up to save the world book. When compared to say, Secret, which is his other other Image book that he's doing at the moment, it's pretty much as clear as it gets.

Looking through my list of collected editions to buy (amassed from a number of places, including recommendations here), where does Flex Mentallo sit on the Morrison weirdness scale?

Hawkeye and Daredevil, both are members of the Avengers so it counts :p

frye

Looking through my list of collected editions to buy (amassed from a number of places, including recommendations here), where does Flex Mentallo sit on the Morrison weirdness scale?

Depends what you find weird. Flex is basically his superhero manifesto, and kinda works as a prequel to All Star Superman if you want to think of it that way.

Owzers

What is there even to not understand in New Avengers? Like, I know Hickman has a reputation for making complicated books, but NA is still a pretty simple guys team up to save the world book. When compared to say, Secret, which is his other other Image book that he's doing at the moment, it's pretty much as clear as it gets.

Mapmakers, builders, gardeners, systems, incursions with black priests, universe girl who wants pie, starbrands, those robot guys who look like mapmakers but only pop up first to map the universe before the real mapmakers come and they have neat weapons that target genes and then kill everyone.

I miss the gardeners, at least Hickman took a few issues to give them some charm, everyone else was just...hype. Hype is coming to town folks, and you will be scared because each hype is more powerful than the next. It's like a russian doll of robots.

I understand and like the motivations of the heroes, though it is annoying when Hickman puts the same Reed speech in almost every issue, i've I like parts of the book since the beginning, but i really dont' like anything in the above above: systems/builders/mapmakers/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom