• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Yeah, so it's still broken for me since I'm on Android. :(

I got it for myself as a father's day present, and it has been hit garbage all year. The Android app is literally unusable. I can't read on or offline, since it crashes every three seconds. I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled five times...no joy.

If they fix it on Android (and I'm doubtful), I'll keep subscribing. The service is conceptually perfect for me. Massive backlog, new series on a six month delay. It just has to work on my tablet.

Bleeding Cool reported today that a new version for Android that uses native code rather than HTML5 rendering is coming shortly, it was announced at SXSW.

Bleeding Cool reported today that a new version for Android that uses native code rather than HTML5 rendering is coming shortly, it was announced at SXSW.

Yeah, Marvel sent out an email advertising the new improvements and they say that Android is "Coming Soon".

VERY impressed with the upgrades to the Marvel unlimited app. It's so much better than it was before. I'm going t have to snap some screenshots do some direct comparisions between the App and Comixology using the same issue of a title.

Parch

Just read the first two arcs of Savage Wolverine. Better than I expected. There's some parts that made me laugh and of course berserker gonna berserk. It's good fun.

ElNarez

Banned
Okay, since no one asked for it, here is is: A QUICK PRIMER ON WHAT THE SHIT HAPPENS IN NEW AVENGERS. I'll be answering most of your questions, so we can all be up to speed. Deal? Deal.

So what the shit is an incursion?

It's the most important thing to understand in all of New Avengers, so Get Hickman-diagrammed, Son:
SGLQogT.jpg

In short: because of the early destruction of one Earth, the Multiverse is contracting, meaning entire universes are colliding with one another. And because that's the point where it started, the impact point of two universes colliding is Earth.

An incursion is the moment when two Earths that are about to collide are harmonically aligned and thus exist in the same place. It lasts for exactly 8 hours and it ends in one of two outcomes.

A) The two Earths collide, and both universes are destroyed. The loss of two universes means the Multiverse dies a bit faster.
B) One of the Earths is destroyed, and both universes are saved.

So to save one Earth they have to destroy one another? That's fucked up, man

Yup. Captain America managed to get the Illuminati to spare an Earth using the Infinity Gauntlet once. And then it broke. So nope, there's no better option, unless you wanna get mind-wiped by Doctor Strange.

Okay, so, now, what the shit are Builders and what do they have to do with this?

Well as the name implies, the Builders built the universe a lot of years ago, on the orders of, Captain Universe, who represents the will of the Universe. That's simple and easy to follow. Then they decided they were better than the Universe so they would run shit their way. They have classes and tasks associated with those classes, but you don't need to know anything about that.

What you need to know is this: the early death of the Multiverse is seriously fucking up all of space and time, leading to the collapse of the Superflow (yes we're talking about that Superflow, from Newuniversal, by the way. This runs hella deep) which is basically the space in between every universe. (It's also that collapse of the Superflow that led to the last White Event at the beginning of Avengers and the awakening of Starbrand and Nightmask)

Anyway, the Builders like their space-time very much, and so they launch a Multiversal assault on every single Earth, hoping destroying them would stop the further contraction of the Multiverse. One such assault happened in the 616 Universe, and that's why Infinity happened.

But it's over now, so don't worry about that. Worry about pretty much everything else, starting with:

Okay, let's talk about the Black Priests

Well that one's easy. They're a sect of high-powered Telepaths here to ensure the destruction of both universes during incursions. They won't take shit from anyone, be they Ivory Kings or Mapmakers. That's scary.

So what the shit's an Ivory King?

I don't know. From what's been said about them by one Black Swan, they're the ones who gave her people the gift of Multiversal travel, which the Black Priests took for themselves. They're probably serious players.

And what the fuck's a Mapmaker?

They're a travelling race of Aliens who go from Earth to Earth collecting all the resources they can. When an Incursion comes, they destroy the Earth they were on, which stops the incursion, send a bit of it to the other Earth as a Marker, then they and their masters all go there, collect, rinse and repeat. They're kind of a big deal.

Bonus question: What's a Rabum Alal?

According to Black Swan, he's the Great Destroyer. She says his birth is what caused the death of the Multiverse to happen in the first place.

So, in conclusion : Shit's fucked. Also, EVERYTHING DIES. Thank you and good night.

KidDork

Randomly opened a longbox and pulled out a comic. It was Astro City #14, from 1998.

It reminded me of what a great book it was. Kurt Busiek's love letter to the Sixties Marvel and DC books seems like such a distant thing now. It's an old man's comic, filled with nods and homages that you would only get if you grew up reading the same books Busiek did. Even the lead character is a dead ringer for Robert Mitchum, with a classic noir storyline of a criminal trying to go straight in a world that won't let him.

I've been getting the new series, but have yet to read a single issue.

Anyone else remember the old days when Astro City was new and Busiek was Marvel's number one writer?

If there are Infinite universes how can they all die. That makes no sense. You'll have an infinite number of universes where it doesn't happen.

Owzers

Were the Builders connected to the Mapmakers? For some reason i thought the Mapmakers sent the builders and then after Infinity it was all " no these dudes are the real dudes". And i didn't know the builders were working for Universe Pie Girl at one point, i thought they were competing with her, two different systems.

and Hickman kept bugging me because he uses the words " worlds" and " universes" interchangeably at times, even though i knew what he meant.

ElNarez

Banned
If there are Infinite universes how can they all die. That makes no sense. You'll have an infinite number of universes where it doesn't happen.

EVERYTHING DIES. Entropy is always going to be a thing. The point is, one universe being removed from reality causes other universes to die sooner and the multiverse to collapse on itself. That can still work in the context of an infinity of multiverses. Come on, look at the graph.

Were the Builders connected to the Mapmakers? For some reason i thought the Mapmakers sent the builders and then after Infinity it was all " no these dudes are the real dudes". And i didn't know the builders were working for Universe Pie Girl at one point, i thought they were competing with her, two different systems.

No connection. And yeah, basically the builders were working under Captain Universe, until they went "No fuck you dad/mom/entity representing the will of the universe, we're gonna do our own thing"

EVERYTHING DIES. Entropy is always going to be a thing. The point is, one universe being removed from reality causes other universes to die sooner and the multiverse to collapse on itself. That can still work in the context of an infinity of multiverses. Come on, look at the graph.

But if there are Infinite possibilities what about the ones where things don't die, like, say, the Cancerverse? There should be an infinite number of those.

OldRoutes

I just read Fear Itself, and, dude, it was kinda good. I didn't know what to expect since most Marvel events before that kinda sucked for me... but this was really enjoyable and I kinda like the whole focus on Asgard.

Eh! What's the general consensus of it?

ElNarez

Banned
But if there are Infinite possibilities what about the ones where things don't die, like, say, the Cancerverse? There should be an infinite number of those.

We're talking about heat death, not regular death. So maybe no one really dies but at one point all the energy that can be consumed by that universe will be consumed and things will just die. It's basic thermodynamics.

We're talking about heat death, not regular death. So maybe no one really dies but at one point all the energy that can be consumed by that universe will be consumed and things will just die. It's basic thermodynamics.

"basic thermodynamics" doesn't apply in comic book universes where magic is a real thing, universes are created by someone simply saying so, and street level scrubs are channeling infinite power sources from the punch dimension, via their eyeballs.

Edit: your description of the black priests also WAY off. They aren't telepaths as marvel defines them. You also neglected to mention the ebon kings, which have not yet appeared (but were explicitly mentioned by the priests and implied to be a bigger threat than the mapmakers) but are obviously linked to the ivory kings somehow.

PSA: Free comics on Comixology until midnight CST

Some highlights:
Locke & Key Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft (Code: SXLOCKE)
Adventure Time Volume 1 (Code:SXADVENTURETIME)
Transformers Autocracy (12 issues!, Code: SXTRANSFORMERS)

More to come all day today and tomorrow.

The next set are out. Everyone get and love the monkey brain comics. Bandette and Amelia cole are awesome comics. And the image pack is good too.

Yesssss, in the preview for All New X-Men #24:
Jean Grey finds out about the massacre of her family back in Claremont's End of Grey's storyline.
I'm really excited about this story now.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Looking through my list of collected editions to buy (amassed from a number of places, including recommendations here), where does Flex Mentallo sit on the Morrison weirdness scale?

Weirdness is kind of a shitty way to judge a Morrison book (or any book, I'd say) because it really says nothing about the content and kind of kills intelligent discussion. Flex is Morrison's ode to ideas and superheroes. It's a celebration of superheroes after Moore tried to declare them dead (as that awesome David Brothers write-up series claims). It requires a close reading and a keen eye when you go through it, but the ideas are entirely coherent, the story is great and connects all of its threads damn well, and the art is stunning.

Basically, if you like Morrison in the slightest, and want an insight into many of the constant themes driving his books, and just want an awesome comic about comics and the power they have, you should get Flex.

ElNarez

Banned
"basic thermodynamics" doesn't apply in comic book universes where magic is a real thing, universes are created by someone simply saying so, and street level scrubs are channeling infinite power sources from the punch dimension, via their eyeballs.

Edit: your description of the black priests also WAY off. They aren't telepaths as marvel defines them. You also neglected to mention the ebon kings, which have not yet appeared (but were explicitly mentioned by the priests and implied to be a bigger threat than the mapmakers) but are obviously linked to the ivory kings somehow.

Really my point is that death is inevitable on a universal scale, punch dimension or not. Also, they have fucking weird mind-powers and some kind of hive-mind. Telepaths is an appropriate descriptor. Also also, yeah, I forgot about that, but it's also not really important yet. Neither are a lot of things I mentioned, but most of it is, anyways, all I said is basic shit you need to know to understand NA, and most of it I didn't infer because it was in the book.

Weirdness is kind of a shitty way to judge a Morrison book (or any book, I'd say) because it really says nothing about the content and kind of kills intelligent discussion. Flex is Morrison's ode to ideas and superheroes. It's a celebration of superheroes after Moore tried to declare them dead (as that awesome David Brothers write-up series claims). It requires a close reading and a keen eye when you go through it, but the ideas are entirely coherent, the story is great and connects all of its threads damn well, and the art is stunning.

Basically, if you like Morrison in the slightest, and want an insight into many of the constant themes driving his books, and just want an awesome comic about comics and the power they have, you should get Flex.

Normally I'd agree with you, but you really have to admit that Morrison has a tendency to be a bit too obtuse in his books for his own good. The man has some brilliant writing, but some of it really isn't for me which is why I asked.

The next set are out. Everyone get and love the monkey brain comics. Bandette and Amelia cole are awesome comics. And the image pack is good too.

I've heard good things from Atomic Robo, but never read any. The guided view is definitely..different. I kind of like it though.

Normally I'd agree with you, but you really have to admit that Morrison has a tendency to be a bit too obtuse in his books for his own good. The man has some brilliant writing, but some of it really isn't for me which is why I asked.

I've heard good things from Atomic Robo, but never read any. The guided view is definitely..different. I kind of like it though.
Atomic robo is great. Get the first volume. Very entertaining comic. And dr dinosaur is hilarious later in the series

Teptom

This Submit Starter Pack on Comixology is killing me. I don't need to be spending any more money on comics, but it's only $10 for 100 comics.

In physical comic news, I checked out the first five volumes of Fables from my local library.

This Submit Starter Pack on Comixology is killing me. I don't need to be spending any more money on comics, but it's only $10 for 100 comics.

In physical comic news, I checked out the first five volumes of Fables from my local library.
Right?! It's like, I don't NEED 100 more comics, but fuck that's such a good deal

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Lemme know what you think. I'm currently playing The Wolf Among Us, and I'm really getting an itch to read Fables. Or Fairest. Or SOMETHING.

Fables is really a fantastic series. It's definitely spectacular for the first 75 issues, there's a slight drop for a while depending on your opinion, but it's been picking up again recently. I can't recommend it enough.

Did anyone else pick up Veil #1 last week? I love Greg Rucka, but I don't know, this issue just felt like it fell short.

Yeah I felt the same way,, confused for most of it waiting for something to click, it was ok, but I felt it was a little empty or something.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This week's list. The longer I read this thread the more I end up pulling.. not sure if that's good or bad. At least I dropped Wolverine and Iron Man. Don't understand how those can be so dull.

Most anticipated:
Astro City #10
Black Widow #4
Hawkeye #17
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #9
Superior Spider-Man #29

Looking forward to:
All-New X-Men #24
Captain Marvel #1
Deadpool #25.1
East of West #10
Fantastic Four #2
FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics #8
Superman/Wonder Woman #6
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #32
Ten Grand #8

Checking out:
Secret Avengers #1

I found it hard to get into the regular Avengers title, am I going to have trouble picking up Secret Avengers? I'm interested based on the talk on here but not sure if it's an Uncanny/All-New X-Men situation where I'm going to need to be following another book too. There's just too many Avengers titles to catch up on really.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The only bad segment of Waid's DD where when it lost Martin and Rivera, and had a crummy crossover with Avenging and then the dreaded Khoi Pham kicked in. Then Samnee became a regular and it went back to being the best superhero book on the stands again.

Yeah I think the crossovers at the end of the first year hurt the book a little bit. That said, the art on the DD/Spidey/Punisher crossover was awesome. And it reminded me I need to read Rucka's Punisher run too.

I was all hyped when Marvel announced Hickman was taking over the Avengers side of the Marvel Universe but that hype is gone now. What happened to my Mars people with their gardens and shenanigans?

They're Avengers now brah. They helped out during Infinity. I really dig Ex Nihilo, I think he's really scary still. His motivations are so alien, it's wonderful.

That said I really have no idea what's going on in Avengers right now. Multiverse shenanigans... I really hope Marvel address the elephant in the room with the time/verse stuff soon. I love how they've quietly made it a line-wide issue, it seems that almost every book has some time and reality stuff in it right now. If they address it in an event I'll be OK with it since it's come naturally out of the stories.

I'm a sucker for dumb crossovers. I was organizing my boxes to find my Star Trek / Legion issues because reasons and also saw my friends X-Men / Star Trek crossover book on his shelf. Made me realize my love for that kind of dumb shit.

jaxword

Lemme know what you think. I'm currently playing The Wolf Among Us, and I'm really getting an itch to read Fables. Or Fairest. Or SOMETHING.

Fables is amazing...at first.

It gets absolutely embarrassing in how bad it gets 1/2 through, especially when the author makes it clear he's inserting his political and religious viewpoints through the hero characters. It's incredibly shameful to watch.

It's become a mess now, and that's sad because it was my favorite series for the first 75 issues.

Talking about crossovers, I just bought The Punisher and Batman(1994) crossover from a comic shop I went to out of town over the weekend. It was aight. I mainly liked the cover lol.

List:

East of West 10
FBP 8
Hawkeye 17
Manifest Destiny 5 <---check this one out, guys
The Mercenary Sea 2
Superior Foes of Spider-Man 9
The Walking Dead 123

multivac

The Marvel Unlimited app update on iOS is SO MUCH improved. You can finally tap to turn the page, the resolution looks improved (though still not nearly as good as Comixology), and navigating feels much snappier.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah I think the crossovers at the end of the first year hurt the book a little bit. That said, the art on the DD/Spidey/Punisher crossover was awesome. And it reminded me I need to read Rucka's Punisher run too.

You gotta get on that Rucka Punisher, Jedeye. It's a slow-burn that builds up into a fucking bonfire, man. Rucka takes all the superheroics out of Frank and it ends up being one of the best Punisher runs I've read.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You gotta get on that Rucka Punisher, Jedeye. It's a slow-burn that builds up into a fucking bonfire, man. Rucka takes all the superheroics out of Frank and it ends up being one of the best Punisher runs I've read.

Oh yeah man, it's on The List, Rucka is one of my favourite authors. Dude can barely put a foot wrong where I'm concerned.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finished up I believe the first leg of the Sinestro Corps War - need to go find the second part, if there is a second part? It ended with the
White Lantern insignia
appearing. Is that the end? I thought there was a Red Lanterns presence in this but they were nowhere to be found. Is that a part 2 or just a separate event right after?

So the more I think about it the more WATXM #1 leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I think I'm going to drop it. As I'd like to keep my Marvel at 2 pulls I need a replacement title to go alongside my Amazing X-Men. Which X title should I get?

Send in da List

Batman #29
East of West #10
All-New X-Men #24
Black Widow #4
Hawkeye #17
Secret Avengers #1 - New series to hype this week!
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #9
Superior Spider-Man #29
Wolverine #3
X-Force #2

The Spring Foward List.

Batgirl 29
Batman 29
Coffin Hill 6
Constantine 12
Justice League 3000 4
Justice League of America 13
Nightwing 29
Superman Wonder Woman 6

X-Files Season 10 10

Superior Spider-Man 29
One other Marvel Book.

Bro, it's Quarterly Legends of the Dark Knight week. Issue #2, 100 pages of Batman goodness.

Quake1028

LISTZ

DC COMICS
FBP Federal Bureau Of Physics #8

MARVEL COMICS
All-New X-Men #24
Avengers Undercover #1
Fantastic Four #2
Secret Avengers #1
Thor God Of Thunder Volume 3 The Accursed HC
X-Force #2

I've been rewatching and rereading Batman the Animated Series show and cartoon, respectively these past few days. A few observations.

-This show is awesome

-I forgot there was a gay joke at Joel Schmucer's expense. "I just love Batman! All those muscles, the armor, I hear his car can even go up walls!" "Shut up, Joel..."

hqdefault.jpg

-Harley and Joker are the best characters, especially when Paul Dini is writing their stories. He also seems very self-aware of his own fetishes(he actually has Harley and Ivy fighting naked in a shower) and those of the fans.

3468732-1330712478-funny.jpg

Xis

Finished up I believe the first leg of the Sinestro Corps War - need to go find the second part, if there is a second part? It ended with the
White Lantern insignia
appearing. Is that the end? I thought there was a Red Lanterns presence in this but they were nowhere to be found. Is that a part 2 or just a separate event right after?

Depending on how you/when you bought it, there might be a part two. It was originally printed as two volumes with a third "tales of the Sinestro Corps" book. Later there was a one-volume printing (which may have slightly different contents?)

The Red Lanterns don't show up until a good bit later, "Rage of the Red Lanterns" was branded as a Blackest Night lead-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom