• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

What's up with the "I'm not Daredevil" sweater?

Woah you didn't know? Matt's identity as Daredevil has been outed to the world and the press prior to Mark Waid's run.
Read Waid's DD run it's the best Marvel book and one of the very FEW Marvel books I ever bother reading.

I should re-read DC 1 Million again...

Oh my. :O

LeURP7B.jpg
OQ9pifs.jpg
FkFRZBL.jpg
From Newsarama

NEO0MJ

Read Waid's DD run it's the best Marvel book and one of the very FEW Marvel books I ever bother reading.

I considered buying it (I love Mark Waid's writting) but I'm on a budget now :(

It helps a bit if you've read Morrison's JLA (which is the best team book ever and therefore mandatory reading) since it's really an arc of that series but I think it could still be understood easily by itself. Only other thing is that there are some minor Starman spoilers if you've not read it (I hadn't when I first read DC1M).

Good thing I was already planning on picking up vol 1-3 of Morrison's JLA as well. Gonna pick up the Omnibus, at worst it will still look nice on the shelf.

I read Batman 29 three times before I put it away. It was that good. I'm already banking it being my book of the month.

This Batman talk makes me feel like I'm missing out on something amazing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I considered buying it (I love Mark Waid's writting) but I'm on a budget now :(

Good thing I was already planning on picking up vol 1-3 of Morrison's JLA as well. Gonna pick up the Omnibus, at worst it will still look nice on the shelf.

does not compute :p

Just finished Rat Queens 1-3! Holy shit! I am in love. It's funny and violent and the art is awesome.

So good.

Rat Queens is just the best. I can't wait for the second arc. It sucks they're going to every six weeks, but it'll be worth it to keep the same quality. I will definitely be picking up the trade too. These cheap Image first volumes are great and I want to support them.

Not sure about the writer though is Skullkickers any good?

Skullkickers is good. I also really dig his Pathfinder book for Dynamite.

How long do the sales on instocktrades usually last? I want to hold off until next week so I can buy one more book and get free shipping, but I don't want to miss a good deal.

dhusband

Neo Member
Instocktrades refreshes at some time every Tuesday. The new releases from the previous week are still on sale, but at less of a discount. Like 5 or 10% less of a discount. I picked up Days of Future Past HC at 21.99 and it was 19.99 last week.

How long do the sales on instocktrades usually last? I want to hold off until next week so I can buy one more book and get free shipping, but I don't want to miss a good deal.

They seem to have a baseline 42% off on the major publishers at all times. Deals of the week last a week, naturally. I think they typically swap them out on Tuesday night. Last year their monthly specials stacked throughout the year, but since the February Special was was taken down in March, I'd expect the March special to last until April.

lordmrw

Looks like john romita jr is finally going to do some work for DC Comics after all these years. I know the go to would be a Batman title of some sort but the Superman ad piece doesn't look half bad.

Looks like john romita jr is finally going to do some work for DC Comics after all these years. I know the go to would be a Batman title of some sort but the Superman ad piece doesn't look half bad.
He's doing Superman with Geoff Johns, it's already been announced.

EDIT: Also, it begins.

Rumor mill says meetings between Marvel Comics execs and Lucasfilm reps are happening now (Bleeding Cool)

"...a writer who has just left a popular project and a popular indie writer with Image work and a recently finished Marvel Now title"...

Hmm.

Daredevil #1 Preview (CBR)

This is PERFECT. Addressing the
difficulties and concerns a blind man would have adjusting to a new and unfamiliar environment, with the added context of being a superhero engaged in a dramatic and life-risking rescue.
Looking forward to next week.

Loona

Not sure about the writer though is Skullkickers any good?

I'm not sure about Skullkickers, but I've been a bit disappointed with Jim Zub's work on other people's characters:

- Wonder Momo: almost entirely dismisses the oroginal character, creates a daughter for her and focuses on that.

- Street Fighter's Ibuki: has stated in an interview that he was treating that like a Spiderman story, and in the comic actually treats a supposed duality between being a teenager and a ninja like A Thing, when what little story Ibuki has in the games involves her attempts to live a life a bit more free from her family's sncient ninja traditions; worse, features Makoto from the same game as a random hot head, never addressing the plain contrast that Makoto's doing the exact opposite, maintaining her family's style and dojo when the men in her family can't or won't, an effort that goes from physically repairing the dojo to challenging world-class martial artists to attract students.
He did put Geki from SF1 to interesting use though.

Speaking of disappoinents, am I the only one that found it weird that after all the media hupe about Marvel's new Captain Marvel being an arab-american muslim girl, Kamala Khan, at the end of her debut issue
she turns into a blonde just like Carol Danvers used to be depicted
?
Her vision of Iron Man, Captain America and the so-far Captain Marvel reciting in urdu was fun though.

Feels weird to see young Batson deprived of his rightful name for this, as if writing lesson from 5 Robins and every member of Teen Titans and Runaways barely applying to him wasn't enough...

Speaking of disappoinents, am I the only one that found it weird that after all the media hupe about Marvel's new Captain Marvel being an arab-american muslim girl, Kamala Khan, at the end of her debut issue
?
Her vision of Iron Man, Captain America and the so-far Captain Marvel reciting in urdu was fun though.

I don't think it's weird at all, considering how the build-up in the comic depicted her life, which was very influenced by her arab-american origins, and how the focused on how she basically loves Carol Danvers. The fact that she becomes her, which means she becomes blonde and white, will probably be explored in the 2nd issue. How minorities view themselves and others in the default white landscape of America is a very relevant issue and one I'm glad a mainstream comic is attacking. See American Born Chinese for a very good take on it.

?

Not railing against you or anything but I'm not sure why people keep bringing this up like it's some huge misleading betrayal. It's very obviously a part of the arc and it's pretty clear WHY it happened, Kamala wanted so badly to become someone she wasn't. She's most likely a shapeshifter and subconsciously took on the form of Carol because that's who she looks up to.

I'm positive at some point in the next issue or two she will figure her stuff out and revert to her original form. It was a pretty good issue #1 that didn't really go anywhere, but did a lot to introduce the characters and tell us what Kamala is all about. But I totally expect the whole white girl thing to be resolved pretty quickly.

Why is he in San Fran?
Spoilers from the last issue of previous run, which if you haven't read STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO READ IT.

Matt and Foggy are disbarred and banned from practicing law in the state of New York, for breaches of ethics relating to Matt's admitted role as Daredevil. Kirsten suggests that since Matt lived in San Francisco at one point, they pull up stakes and move the law firm to California and seek admission to the bar there.

I know everyone's riding Snyders jock over batman #29 (haven't read it yet) but I doubt its better than Superior Spider-Man #29 which is fucking A-mazing. Green Goblin is such a bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom