• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Good to hear about Secret Avengers. What are your thoughts on second-rate Iron Man? I think it may be the first new Kot book I have no interest in, because I couldn't care less about Iron Man comics, let alone one of his side-characters. But it is Kot...

Did that come out? Nothing short of the King himself returning from the dead to write and draw it could get me to care about Iron Patriot. It'll be the first Kot book I pass on.

Loona

I do disagree that comics can't handle action as well as videogames. In fact, the static, panel-by-panel nature of comics make it great for pacing interesting fight scenes. A lot of nuance, storytelling, characterization, and plain old cool action beats can be conveyed through comic book panels in a way that would be hard to replicate in a moving medium, much less a player controlled medium like videogames.

Much like taking the high road and exploring the setting and characters in fighting game adaptations, doing action scenes well is something that not everyone does as well as it could be - it's possible to focus on shorter and more eloquent burts of action, play with panel sizes and surprises at a turn of the page, but I guess I like the kind of rythm that an animated medium allows and the sense of impact you can get when sound is heard isntead of written and drawn.

As for Shazam, I don't recall him really getting a lot of panel time yet. His fate in the game is kind of indicative of the storytelling in that game. I guess they wanted to really emphasize Supes being the most powerful. Having Shazam being his equal like he really is would have been problematic.

Writers focus too much on comparing his powers to Supes'... The wisdom of Solomon bit by itself should have been enough for the character to work as a conscience of sorts to the group (this was pulled off well in Justice League Unlimited in his single appearance, even if Flash was the one taking the role most of the time there), but I guess what they did to him in the game was just a way to show how Supes had gone off the deep end...
Then again, in the game there were 2 sets of characters, but I only recall a Captain on the rogue Supes group, maybe the comic at some point covers the "prime" version...

Writers focus too much on comparing his powers to Supes'... The wisdom of Solomon bit by itself should have been enough for the character to work as a conscience of sorts to the group (this was pulled off well in Justice League Unlimited in his single appearance, even if Flash was the one taking the role most of the time there), but I guess what they did to him in the game was just a way to show how Supes had gone off the deep end...
Then again, in the game there were 2 sets of characters, but I only recall a Captain on the rogue Supes group, maybe the comic at some point covers the "prime" version...

You're right, Shazam's wisdom doesn't get showcased enough. Probably because writers like to focus on his childlike innocence and find it difficult to mix the wisdom in there as well. Although I suppose you could say that
his death in the game
was due to his "wisdom" and morality kicking in (though it's probably more due to his childlike innocence once again). He might be one of the few characters that I don't think the prequel can do a lot with, since you know his story arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman was the book of the week, holy shit. This is the kind of thing we're going to be recommending to people way down the line.

Dammit, LCS marked Robin down half off, couldn't pass it up. The Dynamic Duo.

BijJ0n2IMAAEd5d.jpg

I'm hyped to read batman when I get home from work!

It sound good

------

Jason Aaron X-men exit interview

comicsalliance.com/jason-aaron-the-wolverine-and-the-x-men-exit-interview/

anaron

The captain marvel art is so good.

I loved the individual artists on the previous arc but Lopez is so all around appealing and makes for a perfect fit.

What do people think of
Rhodey and Carol?

Messi

The captain marvel art is so good.

I loved the individual artists on the previous arc but Lopez is so all around appealing and makes for a perfect fit.

What do people think of
Rhodey and Carol?

Agree on the art. It fits the book well.

For now, just crazy. I'm curious to see how they follow it up next issue.

Supes and WW have a great Han/Leia style exchange near the end too.

Yeah, I just read it and the ending was definitely dramatic.
Why does Apollo help Zod out? Did I forget something from a previous issue?

multivac

Yeah, I just read it and the ending was definitely dramatic.
Why does Apollo help Zod out? Did I forget something from a previous issue?

Because Superman made a fool of him in front of Hephaestus when he laid him out after absorbing his sun power (that sounds really ridiculous when you say it. I love comic books!)

Just read Constantine and it was pretty good but the real standout was Beni Lobel's art. If the guy can make a deadline, hopefully he gets more action.

Messi

Whatever amount of love Scottie Young gets here its not enough. The previews of Rocket Racoon he is posting on his tumblr are beautiful.

Vyer

Childish twitter rant followed by thin skinned responses to those who disagreed. Love Mark's work but not sure why he food any of that.

Been trailing back into the tweets: looks like some site took a tweet of his and did one of those 'attack' blog posts.

Damn I didn't know crappy Batman was 5 dollars again. Ass!
and I'm bummed they took the digital out of She Hulk so I might drop it since I'm buying the trade anyways

Wiseblade

All-New X-Men

I have way less of an issue with Bendis' "Make a statement in as many words as possible" writing style, but it did seem a lot sillier in this issue. Maybe it's because I was rereading some Ultimate Parker-Man yesterday where it's way more appropriate...

Captain Marvel

"Carol Danvers in space!" sounds very similar to "We don't know what to do with this character!" I'll give it a second issue, though.

Avengers Undercover

It wasn't offensive, I guess. I'll get the next issue because I like teen books and there are British people in this.

"Superior" Spider-Man

At tjis point any idiot can see where this is going. It's just a question of wether Anna Maria dying or falling off the bridge is the trigger. Probably the former, because the latter means Amazing Spider-Man #1 will involve a very awkward conversation...

Superior foes

Contained a genuine Laugh-out-loud moment for me that justified the purchase.

Avengers Undercover:

Nico and Chase. D:
Cullen. D: D: D:

Looks to be a great week. I'm off to read the rest of this week's stuff. Really looking forward to Secret Avengers after the buzz here.

Vibranium

Banned
Wow, Invinicible was crazy again this week haha, setting up an epic showdown for more issues. I like the simple zaniness of multiple dimensions.

Hawkeye was fun as a delayed Christmas issue, though it would have worked better if it wasn't pushed back.

Also, Secret Avengers was decent, Kot fired shots at me and other "anti Jr." people to get over ourselves haha. I don't have a problem with 2 Furys though, I just would have preferred if the Ultimate version joined 616 instead. The kid thing is hamfisted, Ulti-Fury is much more interesting.

Still, this seems fun and I will check out Zero for sure.

Heeeey ComicGAF. I have a question.

What are some other good/likely to be good recently started Marvel things? I'm already on Hawkguy, Black Widow, Punisher and picked up Moon Knight today, haven't read it yet though. I can head back to the comic shop near me tomorrow, it's pretty much on my way home. I thought about picking up the first issue of Captain Marvel and a few other things but I thought I already had enough for one day and could fall back on GAF for help so I held off >_>

I'm still in the noob arena for all this so I don't really know who's good and who isn't.

Dysun

I flipped through Superior 29 so fast, I can't wait for the final two issues. The pieces are in place, can't wait to see how it ends.

Batman 29 was great, Capullo brought his A game again
Batman's first failure juxtaposed with his parents death was poignant.
It's the goddamn Batman returns!

frye

What are some other good/likely to be good recently started Marvel things? I'm already on Hawkguy, Black Widow, Punisher and picked up Moon Knight today, haven't read it yet though. I can head back to the comic shop near me tomorrow, it's pretty much on my way home. I thought about picking up the first issue of Captain Marvel and a few other things but I thought I already had enough for one day and could fall back on GAF for help so I held off >_>

I'm still in the noob arena for all this so I don't really know who's good and who isn't.

I like She-Hulk and Loki, I think I like Secret Avengers, I think I will like Ghost Rider and Iron Fist.

e: actually upon a reread Secret Avengers is just okay

KidDork

Read the first issue of New Warriors today. The art clunked in a few places, Speedball is a pain, but overall, I thought it was good. Sun Girl was my favourite only because I love Legion like names and stupid powers. The irregular line in her flying effect was kinda cool, too.

Messi

Today's pull
IST pull

Those Y:The Last Man deluxe editions are beautiful. Have you read it before?

This month's FBP was mindbendingly awesome with a fairly Wtf ending. Excited for next month now. Ya'll should be giving this book a try Rafa was right. It's great.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I like She-Hulk and Loki, I think I like Secret Avengers, I think I will like Ghost Rider and Iron Fist.

Loki has been great thus far. I have yet to read the latest She-Hulk, but the first was awesome. Punisher is one of the better new ones. Ms. Marvel is great.

Of the misses: New Warriors is weak thus far. All-New Invaders is hit & miss. X-Factor I quit. X-Force is either love or hate it, especially due to Fantomex's new characterization. That's a quick view I can provide.

Daredevil is on year 4 of Mark Waid's run iirc but it's one of the best marvel books currently. Swashbucking Daredevil is the effing best:

dd-surfer.jpg

2603554-daredevil.jpeg

Picture-918.png

577713_orig.jpg

Loki has been great thus far. I have yet to read the latest She-Hulk, but the first was awesome. Punisher is one of the better new ones. Ms. Marvel is great.

Of the misses: New Warriors is weak thus far. All-New Invaders is hit & miss. X-Factor I quit. X-Force is either love or hate it, especially due to Fantomex's new characterization. That's a quick view I can provide.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll definitely pick up what I can tomorrow :D

Daredevil is on year 4 of Mark Waid's run iirc but it's one of the best marvel books currently. Swashbucking Daredevil is the effing best:

dd-surfer.jpg

Sold.

Messi

Yep. You can go back and buy Captain Marvel tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom