• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Daredevil is on year 4 of Mark Waid's run iirc but it's one of the best marvel books currently. Swashbucking Daredevil is the effing best:

2603554-daredevil.jpeg

What's up with the "I'm not Daredevil" sweater?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Avengers Undercover:

Nico and Chase. D:
Cullen. D: D: D:

Looks to be a great week. I'm off to read the rest of this week's stuff. Really looking forward to Secret Avengers after the buzz here.

I thought it was a decent issue for the new arc. I'm about to dive into Secret Avengers. I'm trying it out since I love Zero.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll definitely pick up what I can tomorrow :D

Sold.

Yes! It's probably my favorite book on the shelves right now. So much fun. Side note you can pick up the first two deluxe hardcovers at IST for around $20 which collect a dozen issues each or so.

What's up with the "I'm not Daredevil" sweater?

Matt Murdock was outed by the press as Daredevil which he publicly denied which led to all types of issues for him in past runs. He continues to deny it and mock the idea, hence the sweater.

ElNarez

Banned
Two things:

1) Astro City #10 is a serious dark horse candidate for book of the month
2) X-Force #2 is a marked improvement over the first issue, what with all its neat concepts and its setting up of the stakes and of its place in the bigger mutant picture. Art is still somewhat assy, though. Not, like, Greg Land assy, but, not completely non-assy.

Lots of feels in Higgins last Nightwing. Can't wait to see the fate of DG.

Justice League of America was very good with a nice twist. I hope Matt Kindt has another project lined up with DC for the future.

Justice League 3000 was ok but Tim is right in saying the revelation of the origin takes the wind out of the sails of the story. I'll buy 2 more issues for Howard Porter and see if the story can hook me another way.

grabbed Secret Avengers today and Rat Queen 1-3 for some odd reason. I am buying the TP for Rat Queens at the end of the month but they were just calling my name. I wish I could find 4 and 5 somewhere but they are sold out everywhere online (not ebay)

Also

X-Files Conspiracy: The Crow was sold out and I just started my hold so I missed it. its also back ordered online?

WTF.

Jetman

They take existing human "volunteers" and implant them with DNA samples collected from the League. The implanted DNA overwrites their genetic makeup and they become the hero in question

Ugh, I came here to ask for spoilers on the issue and glad I didn't bother to pick it up. Most un-interesting route they could have gone with the hero origins in this book imo. Done with it :/

And as a mostly DC guy for years, thanks to this board, I've slowly started to experiment with more Marvel books- Hawkeye first, then the new Punisher, now She-Hulk (loove the cover art, but kind of not digging the internals though) and really want to try Loki. I've seen a few positive comments on it so far - well worth a pull?

tim1138

Two things:

1) Astro City #10 is a serious dark horse candidate for book of the month
2) X-Force #2 is a marked improvement over the first issue, what with all its neat concepts and its setting up of the stakes and of its place in the bigger mutant picture. Art is still somewhat assy, though. Not, like, Greg Land assy, but, not completely non-assy.

Astro City is so consistently good that I always forget about it come end of the month. The Winged Victory arc was just phenomenal.

Vyer

I'm so glad I followed Comic GAF's advice and gave Superman/WW a chance. The ending to the last issue was crazy.

Soule is awesome.

ElNarez

Banned
Secret Avengers #1 was super ace, as expected. I knew it would be a comedy, but I didn't expect it to be this earnestly goofy. Like, it's not satirical in any sort of way, it's just, fucking ridiculous people doing fucking ridiculous things. And it's goddamn hilarious. But also, hella weird considering how much the previous volume took itself seriously.

Venditti doesn't understand Green Lantern at all. His whole run has been a bore since right before ghe Relic climax. Relic must've been a Johns creation or an editor's. I fear for his Flash run. Fuck.

Dysun

Venditti doesn't understand Green Lantern at all. His whole run has been a bore since right before ghe Relic climax. Relic must've been a Johns creation or an editor's. I fear for his Flash run. Fuck.

Yup, the whole line is a wreck now that Johns left except for Soule on Red Lanterns.
Relic definitely feels different than everything else Venditti has written

The third thor:god of thunder book is only 12.50 on IST, but I never got around to starting the series yet. Is it definitely worth it? I'm tempted to just blindly buy all of it at this point.

Wait, Tony's not back in the red and gold, is he? I noticed that he is in Captain Marvel #1 - did I miss something?
The Tony that we thought was Tony was not Rony but another child of Howard Stark. There was aliens and genetic engineering and shit. I don't know how Gillen and Marvel thought it was a good idea. Shit gonna be retconned once he gone though.

Why we fot a second Hulk book when they can't even get the first right?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't see Avengers Undercover #1 hooking any new readers. Almost nothing happens and the rest of the time it seems like something you need to have read Arena to really get into.
Man, Cullen got punked. But I don't see how they could have been sure that
Son of Satan's powers would even work on him, given the monster's place of origin and questionable demon-ness.
Seems like a stupid chance to take.

How is Secret Avengers #1? I'm thinking about picking it up. I loved the last random NOW title that seemed cool, Moon Knight. Would I like Secret Avengers if I like Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Punisher? Is it new-reader friendly?

Vibranium

Banned
How is Secret Avengers #1? I'm thinking about picking it up. I loved the last random NOW title that seemed cool, Moon Knight. Would I like Secret Avengers if I like Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Punisher?

It doesn't take itself seriously which is nice, and everything with Hawkeye, Spider-Woman and Black Widow was fun, as well as Hill and MODOK. The problem is, Fury and Coulson are still completely out of place as usual. I think it would be more fun if they weren't on the team. People know them from the movies, but nobody really gives a shit about them in the comics and never will unless Marvel does something really different from the MCU (I have suggested making Fury Jr. become a developing villain, not at an original idea but a hell of a lot better than his bland self right now) .

It's better than Spencer, but I think I'll stick to Zero instead (this series is great, you guys were right). You might dig it for Hawkguy, I suggest trying it!

Not really correlated to anything recently but I'm sad the Crossgen revival died (a few years ago at this point...) Really liked Waid's Ruse and Wilson's Mystic and would have liked to see more of an expansion but I guess sales were pretty abysmal.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Lots of feels in Higgins last Nightwing. Can't wait to see the fate of DG.

Justice League of America was very good with a nice twist. I hope Matt Kindt has another project lined up with DC for the future.

Justice League 3000 was ok but Tim is right in saying the revelation of the origin takes the wind out of the sails of the story. I'll buy 2 more issues for Howard Porter and see if the story can hook me another way.

What was the twist again? I read it and rolled my eyes at "it wuz all a dream"

Batman was pretty good, but I thought that last page was a bit lacking, Bruce's face wasn't quite screwed up or pained enough for that big HELP! exclaimation. It looked like he's been crying for 20 minutes and was now exhausted from it. Nitpicks. Also Halfern is a fucking ridiculous bad guy and I still don't really get the big bad masterplan. Flood Gotham? Or evolve all the people? Or both? Or something else besides. Still, next issue is where we finally get to the meat of what we've been waiting for. Last of Us Batman!

Coffin Hill was fantastic. Tim and I the only ones reading this?

I've been getting this from the start,, honestly I have been debating on dropping it or not. I skimmed through it last night haven't read it yet but it looks great!!

.....Batman.... I love you... wow!

F.B.P. was perrty damn good as well .. Last page, was that Adam And Rosa?? I was starting to doze off got a little confused ha.

NEO0MJ

So I was considering buying the DC One Million Omnibus. Just how good is that story? Are the extra stories contained in the Omnibus worth it or are they just fluff? a good background on what was going with stories during that period to enjoy them?Would it be better to just buy the TPB?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I was considering buying the DC One Million Omnibus. Just how good is that story? Are the extra stories contained in the Omnibus worth it or are they just fluff? a good background on what was going with stories during that period to enjoy them?Would it be better to just buy the TPB?

See my overexcited posts from yesterday.

IMO totally worth it, my favourite event ever. I think having ALL the issues is very necessary - it's what it's all about, the audacity to try and write every title into the universe and narrative - often times it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's all fascinating.

It helps a bit if you've read Morrison's JLA (which is the best team book ever and therefore mandatory reading) since it's really an arc of that series but I think it could still be understood easily by itself. Only other thing is that there are some minor Starman spoilers if you've not read it (I hadn't when I first read DC1M).

Pretty much it's the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom