• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I know everyone's riding Snyders jock over batman #29 (haven't read it yet) but I doubt its better than Superior Spider-Man #29 which is fucking A-mazing. Green Goblin is such a bastard.

Meh. I thought
Lamaze death had a decent impact, but still kinda sloppy with the panel of exposition right before to let us all know why it would even make sense.
. Everything else was ok. I'm basically just riding the story out so I can drop at this point.

arkon

I'm not sure about Skullkickers, but I've been a bit disappointed with Jim Zub's work on other people's characters:

- Wonder Momo: almost entirely dismisses the oroginal character, creates a daughter for her and focuses on that.

- Street Fighter's Ibuki: has stated in an interview that he was treating that like a Spiderman story, and in the comic actually treats a supposed duality between being a teenager and a ninja like A Thing, when what little story Ibuki has in the games involves her attempts to live a life a bit more free from her family's sncient ninja traditions; worse, features Makoto from the same game as a random hot head, never addressing the plain contrast that Makoto's doing the exact opposite, maintaining her family's style and dojo when the men in her family can't or won't, an effort that goes from physically repairing the dojo to challenging world-class martial artists to attract students.
He did put Geki from SF1 to interesting use though.

Speaking of disappoinents, am I the only one that found it weird that after all the media hupe about Marvel's new Captain Marvel being an arab-american muslim girl, Kamala Khan, at the end of her debut issue
she turns into a blonde just like Carol Danvers used to be depicted
?
Her vision of Iron Man, Captain America and the so-far Captain Marvel reciting in urdu was fun though.

Feels weird to see young Batson deprived of his rightful name for this, as if writing lesson from 5 Robins and every member of Teen Titans and Runaways barely applying to him wasn't enough...

Carol is Captain Marvel. Kamala is gonna go by Ms. Marvel I suppose.

I know everyone's riding Snyders jock over batman #29 (haven't read it yet) but I doubt its better than Superior Spider-Man #29 which is fucking A-mazing. Green Goblin is such a bastard.

Nothing is better than Batman #29. Even I know this.

Man, reading DC comics on a 2 month lag (DC comics take 2 months to drop in price on comixology) makes it hard to participate in these discussions =(

While there was a lot to love in Superior, I can't say it is the best written/drawn/crafted comic in the world. It's just got a great plot that has been building for a while.

BTW, with Secret Avengers joining the fun, do you think Marvel is investing heavily in funny, off-kilter comics? I mean Hawkguy, Superior Foes, She-Hulk... it feels like an embarassment of riches!

Cheska

Is there anyone here that's primarily a digital reader and wants to work out a partnership regarding Marvel digital codes? I never use mine, and seems like kind of a waste not to utilize them. I'd be willing to sell them each week for $1 each, I almost always go my LCS on Wednesdays.

Marvel titles I pick up:

Captain Marvel
Ms. Marvel
Moon Knight
Superior Spider-Man
Secret Avengers
Black Widow
Guardians of the Galaxy
She-Hulk

PM me if you're interested!

I like this beef that is brewing.

Even the cover is awesome:

Superior_Spider-Man_Vol_1_29_Textless.jpg

Boogiepop

Finished up reading through the first complete collection of Immortal Iron Fist last night. I really, really liked it. Can't wait for the 2nd half to hurry up and come out!

I also went ahead and placed a preorder for the Wolverine and the X-men Omnibus. Though this got me thinking: should I be using some place other than Amazon for comics? They seem to have an okay discount, but I never really looked into my other options too heavily. Only talking (physical) trades/omnibus's, whatever. Oh, and is there anything else I need/should get to compliment the run if I've already read I think all of the Uncanny X-men run schism on (have a friend who's a big fan, so I borrowed a ton)?

And just out of curiosity, has X-Force ever been decent? The closest I've come to reading any of it is X-Statix, which doesn't really count, but the concept is "a team of X-men doing secret darker black ops stuff", right? Always sounded a little lame to me, haha. And I've actually read the first one or two trades of Wolverine and the X-men, and I remember even the comic recognizing how awkward it was that Wolverine was still trying to have that team alongside the school stuff. I dunno, just kind of curious.

I recently finished the second volume of X-Force and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not as much as Uncanny X-Force, which is probably one of the greatest X-franchise runs of all time, but it does provide a lot of the setup for that series. I'm getting ready for a third read of UXF and looking forward to having that added context.

Definitely a guilty pleasure, and it is heavy on crossovers, but I'd say it's worth sampling at least.

Eh. Thought it was fine. What was so great about it to you.

I'll start with the art.

Greg Cupullos art is always top notch. There is no digital here. This is all pencil and paper. The guy puts in the hours. In this issue the attention to detail is incredible. The faces, background characters, the clouds, the city, the lightning and man oh man, the rain. I've never seen rain this good. He even joked on Twitter that he drew this issue from his shower for inspiration. The splash pages and homages to past Batmans are amazing.

Next we have Miki's inks which are always consistently great. Guy puts the black in all the right places. Then you turn it over to FCO and he tells a story within a story. Zero Year started off, bright and colorful and full of hope. As you read each issue, those colors have been dwindling down into the darkness that we all know Gotham becomes. Then the colors for the flashbacks are done with a very filtered dream like sequence that captures the mood perfectly.

Then we have Snyders take on young Bruce and Batman. I love Snyders work on his previous arcs but let's face it, he was writing someone else's Batman in his own setting. In Zero Year, Snyder is writing his own unique Bruce/Batman that we have never seen before while carefully interweaving all the great Batmans before him. He is not saying this is the definite version of Batmans origin by ME, but is writing it in a way that's says this is the definite version of Batmans origin done by me and all the other great writers before him.

His Bruce is young and not the great mind he develops to be. He is not the ultra sharp brain that you get in Batman RIP. He is edgy, cocky, foul mouthed, overly emotional and still unsure of himself. He is learning about trust, he is learning about failure. He is learning that actions have consequences. He has all the raw skills but none of it is developed.

This issue really shows all of this together. You finally get to learn about the Tokyo Moon from the beginning of the arc and how that is likely the origin of the Bat signal. You learn what happens when he didn't take the phone call from Alfred and how that affected Dr. Death. Then you get too see a Riddler that who have not really seen before and you know will test Bruce into the intellectual mastermind we know he becomes.

This is a series that will be talked about years from now.

Well said Korupt..

I'm gona meet Snyder at C2E2,, I want him to sign some Zero Year books,, idk what books or how many they'll usually sign? But to me imo its god tier shit. #29 is so far one of my fav issues in comics period (only been into comics a year or so)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'll start with the art.

Greg Cupullos art is always top notch. There is no digital here. This is all pencil and paper. The guy puts in the hours. In this issue the attention to detail is incredible. The faces, background characters, the clouds, the city, the lightning and man oh man, the rain. I've never seen rain this good. He even joked on Twitter that he drew this issue from his shower for inspiration. The splash pages and homages to past Batmans are amazing.

Capullo is the hardest working guy at DC, easily. His pencils are phenomenal and he busts his ass to get that book out every month (missing only like 2.5 issues so far) with a maintained quality. The billboard scene in Zero Year is one of my favorite Batman images of all time thanks to Capullo.

Owzers

Finished up reading through the first complete collection of Immortal Iron Fist last night. I really, really liked it. Can't wait for the 2nd half to hurry up and come out!

I also went ahead and placed a preorder for the Wolverine and the X-men Omnibus. Though this got me thinking: should I be using some place other than Amazon for comics? They seem to have an okay discount, but I never really looked into my other options too heavily. Only talking (physical) trades/omnibus's, whatever. Oh, and is there anything else I need/should get to compliment the run if I've already read I think all of the Uncanny X-men run schism on (have a friend who's a big fan, so I borrowed a ton)?

I'd forget about X-force and buy the Uncanny X-Force omnibus, especially since it's on sale currently at instocktrades.com, which is also the place to buy trades. Some trades are half off on release week at ist, usually omnibus collections, WATXM will most likely be half off on release week there too. Shipping is free in the U.S. for orders $50 and above. Schism should be all that's really needed for WATXM.

edit: Uncanny X-Force was last week at 50%, but it's still 45% off this month due to a marvel special at IST.

Teptom

I read some comics today:

Secret Avengers #1 - I wasn't expecting it to be so lighthearted, but I like me some lightheartedness.

Hawkeye #16 and #17 - The art in this book is so damn good. Both Aja and Wu are doing top-notch work. #17 was a sweet and adorable issue. My only wish is that it actually came out during the holidays.

Daredevil Road Warrior #3 - I've been enjoying these, but I'm ready for some
San Fran
hijinks.

Black Science #1 and #2 - I wasn't feeling it at first when I thought the setting was just going to be the giant sea creature dimension. Once it turned into Sliders, I was completely on board.

I also just got a shipping confirmation from IST. Chew Omnivores 2 + 3, Zero TP, and FBP TP will be mine soon.

Sanjuro

I saw a link to a positive review on Batman #29 on IGN.

Without spoilers, is this Year Zero really worth reading? I've still be reluctant jumping back in since the rebooting. I did enjoy Death of the Family though.

Well said Korupt..

I'm gona meet Snyder at C2E2,, I want him to sign some Zero Year books,, idk what books or how many they'll usually sign? But to me imo its god tier shit. #29 is so far one of my fav issues in comics period (only been into comics a year or so)

I imagine he will only sign one or two things since his line will probably be huge. Get issue 21 signed. Just be happy you get to meet him.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Well said Korupt..

If Capullo is there, make sure you meet him. He's the fucking man, and he looks incredibly intimidating, but he was one of the most sincere artists I've ever met.

Owzers

Without spoilers, is this Year Zero really worth reading? I've still be reluctant jumping back in since the rebooting. I did enjoy Death of the Family though.

if you liked death of the family you'll probably like Zero Year too, there's no real drop off in quality outside of issue #28 which is a batman eternal preview issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's easily worth it. There's no part of this arc that isn't amazing.

Tizoc

I considered buying it (I love Mark Waid's writting) but I'm on a budget now :(

Save up for it ;) At least try to get Vol. 1, it'll put a smile on your face and make DD become your fav. Marvel character.
Before Waid's run I didn't care much for him, but then Waid came and made him a fun character yet at the same time kept the dark tone that past writers would write the series in.

frye

real talk, Wells and del Mundo on Elektra had a good chance of being the straight up best Marvel comic if it came out

Owzers

Do I need to read any books outside the Batman series?

nope, outside of Batman #28 existing solely to set-up Batman Eternal and nothing to do with zero year as i said, the rest of Zero Year can be read alone. There's been some other titles that have hopped along with the Zero Year "event" but they haven't affected Batman's regular title. It's not a crossover, and it's not as bad as Death of the Family was with characters popping in to tell Bruce all the stuff that's been going on in their solo crossover title.

Sanjuro

Not a one. Some books do a flash back to tie in with a zero year event, I won't say which, but none of them are required reading or affect the any of the plots in any way.

nope, outside of Batman #28 existing solely to set-up Batman Eternal and nothing to do with zero year as i said, the rest of Zero Year can be read alone. There's been some other titles that have hopped along with the Zero Year "event" but they haven't affected Batman's regular title. It's not a crossover, and it's not as bad as Death of the Family was with characters popping in to tell Bruce all the stuff that's been going on in their solo crossover title.

Great. I'll jump in later today.

Either getting a new tablet or making a run to the comic book shop.

tim1138

If Capullo is there, make sure you meet him. He's the fucking man, and he looks incredibly intimidating, but he was one of the most sincere artists I've ever met.

It threw me for a loop when I met Doug Mahnke last year and he looked like a body builder. He was super chill though and was thrilled when I told him how much I dug the design for Simon Baz.

Think I'm gonna order this Batman #21 Black & White variant (1:100) to get signed by Snyder at C2E2. Might as well do it right!? Lol

417EjYli-eL.jpg

Edit: Ordered ! I've seen it going for $50+. Got it for $30. Psyched to get this signed,, it'll look great with a silver signature.

tim1138

Instocktrades refreshes at some time every Tuesday. The new releases from the previous week are still on sale, but at less of a discount. Like 5 or 10% less of a discount. I picked up Days of Future Past HC at 21.99 and it was 19.99 last week.

There is a DoFP HC? What in the world is in it? That story was literally two issues long.

Loona

I don't think it's weird at all, considering how the build-up in the comic depicted her life, which was very influenced by her arab-american origins, and how the focused on how she basically loves Carol Danvers. The fact that she becomes her, which means she becomes blonde and white, will probably be explored in the 2nd issue. How minorities view themselves and others in the default white landscape of America is a very relevant issue and one I'm glad a mainstream comic is attacking. See American Born Chinese for a very good take on it.

I guess having that as a final panel on her 1st issue just felt weird and a twist on the expectations from the media attention the character got - it'll probably flow better as a story after enough issues to compile a paperback book, I guess.
As a first issue, even if I mostly skimmed it, it gave off an impression of something always being slightly out of reach for Kamala starting with page 1, although how heavy-handed that might have been is not for some european white guy like myself to say.
I do hope she does become more comfortable in her skin in future issues, that
it reflects on her Marvel persona's appearance
, and that Marvel themselves end up doing justice to attention Kamala got in the media.

BTW, was there some particular event to trigger Carol's change from Ms to Captain along with the uniform - along with this recent passing of the torch while at it?...

And since I've been riding a temporary classic Captain Marvel microobcession recently and passed by the comic shop today, since they had a thick ol' character showcase volume in black and white I bought that (might as well put some money where my mind is) - it's interesting to see a few plot points that could have been salvaged (even if it'll all post-Fawcett stuff), like Sivana having ressurected Teth-Adam, who actually died in his 1st story (and some animated retellings), opening the way to a lot of attention he got in more recent years - still plenty of the 500 pages to go through though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Captain Marvel: Hey, Carol's hair isn't totally shit! Not totally sold this is an interesting book, especially when I think DeConnick writes some damn fine Iron Man funnily enough as this issue reminded me, but they're obviousy fleeting cast members and the space drama seems ripped right from Firefly.

X-Force: I don't think I like this? The core plot is interesting but the characters are just endless monologues which go nowhere and often dont even sound like themselves. Also I guess I missed something with Hope? Also feels like the english is often broken. Seems to be a problem creeping into a few Marvel books these days. Shitty editors?

Secret Avengers: I'm not sure if this is actually funny or just sort of trying to be in that same sphere as Hawkguy. Dunno. Loathe the cover-art, but then inside is fairly normal.

Avengers Undercover: God why couldn't Hazmat have died last series, she's the WORST *eats burger like an insane animal* Pretty good though.

Superior Foes: This really is a legendary run. Has left Hawkguy in the dust since thats just filler-central while this is just constantly pushing forward hilariously.

Toa TAK

Banned
Spoilers from the last issue of previous run, which if you haven't read STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO READ IT.

Matt and Foggy are disbarred and banned from practicing law in the state of New York, for breaches of ethics relating to Matt's admitted role as Daredevil. Kirsten suggests that since Matt lived in San Francisco at one point, they pull up stakes and move the law firm to California and seek admission to the bar there.
OKAY LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER I MUST ADD TO THE LIST!
Can't wait to see him go down, by Otto's "hands", hopefully.

Think I'm gonna order this Batman #21 Black & White variant (1:100) to get signed by Snyder at C2E2. Might as well do it right!? Lol

417EjYli-eL.jpg

Edit: Ordered ! I've seen it going for $50+. Got it for $30. Psyched to get this signed,, it'll look great with a silver signature.

If you are dead set on silver, bring your own just in case.

zeeaykay

Anyone ever have to switch their pull list to a new store? I'm moving out of the suburbs to downtown, and there's a place just a mile from work. Nice guy works there.

However, my current shop is also great and the staff are very friendly. Great selection, nice people.

I feel like a jerk moving my pulls since this place was the shop that I started doing a pull list.

I just called to cancel and tell him why and he wasn't super nice about it, saying he lives downtown and makes the trek, etc, but he'll cancel it.

Now I'm dealing with some guilt. Comics are rough, man.

Anyone ever have to switch their pull list to a new store? I'm moving out of the suburbs to downtown, and there's a place just a mile from work. Nice guy works there.

However, my current shop is also great and the staff are very friendly. Great selection, nice people.

I feel like a jerk moving my pulls since this place was the shop that I started doing a pull list.

I just called to cancel and tell him why and he wasn't super nice about it, saying he lives downtown and makes the trek, etc, but he'll cancel it.

Don't worry about it. You have to do what makes sense to you and while it sucks to lose business (especially if you have a large pull list) it's not his place to guilt trip you.

Is there anyone here that's primarily a digital reader and wants to work out a partnership regarding Marvel digital codes? I never use mine, and seems like kind of a waste not to utilize them. I'd be willing to sell them each week for $1 each, I almost always go my LCS on Wednesdays.

Marvel titles I pick up:

Captain Marvel
Ms. Marvel
Moon Knight
Superior Spider-Man
Secret Avengers
Black Widow
Guardians of the Galaxy
She-Hulk

PM me if you're interested!

I've asked around about this before, but the answer is yes. I'm interested in Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, and possibly some others. I'll PM you.

Messi

He is an asshole for trying to guilt trip you. I'd stop going there altogether or go in and sniff all the new comics.

Pretty classless by the shop owner, I wouldn't worry about it.

Fuck that guy. It's his job to be there. He gets paid. You have no obligation to run across town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom