• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Re-reading Charles Christopher to catch up
tumblr_miwgk1FlGh1qb05x1o1_1280.jpg

And now I have you to thank for introducing me to this.

Messi

There was a great Harley & Ivy mini Dini/Timm did a few years back. Harley was helping Ivy steal this super-rare plant from South America that was in Gotham to help her conquer the world, til Batman showed up

and it just kinda goes from there, its a lot of fun

Where would one find a copy of this? I love Dini and Timm

Owzers

i dunno, saying Marvel is getting out of print monthlies by 2016 sounds like people saying "this will be the last generation of consoles" every couple years.

i dunno, saying Marvel is getting out of print monthlies by 2016 sounds like people saying "this will be the last generation of consoles" every couple years.

Moon Knight sold 70K copies. I realize it won't sustain those numbers, but that's all the data you need to know they'll keep cranking out print issues.

70k is a lot? And I thought manga was in decline.

Sadly, yes. And while I won't claim to understand their profit margins, I'd assume that's enough to basically pay both writer and artist for a full year run.

I mean, look at TV viewership ratings. They're a fraction of what they were ten years ago. The same goes for CD sales. Tons of folks (including me) are 100% digital, and go the Netflix, Google Music, Marvel Unlimited route for our entertainment.

I haven't purchased a floppy in ten years. Digital and TPBs is where my money goes.

Wiseblade

What manga sells 70k in the US? Brahs dont support the mangaka.
Yeah, but manga has Japan, where One Piece Volumes will sell 2 million+ copies in a month. Marvel's Batman substitute is breaking the top 10 with 70k in America. That's kind of depressing. Are people just picking up trades now?

Yeah, but manga has Japan, where One Piece Volumes will sell 2 million+ copies in a month. Marvel's Batman substitute is breaking the top 10 with 70k in America. That's kind of depressing. Are people just picking up trades now?

Nope. Most people just don't care that they exist except as a source of material for future tv and film adaptations. It'd be interesting to know how many people ignore floppies in favor of trades (I'm one of them) but it probably is a low number. Comics really do just sell 100x less in america than in japan most of the time.

A manga series sells two million copies in Japan? LOL. There's a sign of cultural differences right there. Manga is relatively non-existent in the US. I can't speak from experience (since I've never read any), but it has somewhat of a kiddie label where I'm from. I suppose comics do, too, to a lesser extent.

And yes, trades sell better than monthlies. You can find them in bookstores, for starters.

Owzers

Avengers: Red Zone trade: It's creepy reading a comic that has both President Bush and name drops Al Qaeda alongside Hydra and A.I.M. to be modern with the time the book was written. Apart from that it was an okay story and i liked what they did with
The Red Skull becoming Secretary of Defense through manipulation
and Coipel did a fantastic job on a few pages. On the downside, the issues before the reveal were very bland and i don't think Johns built the story up enough before the end. Arbitrary 7/10.

while i enjoy having a nice trades collection i'm quickly accumulating too many books, both unread and things that i probably shouldn't have bought.

next up: New Teen Titans: Games OHC.

Binabik15

A new Empowered? Nice.

I started reading comics just last year and it is one of the series I'm sticking with. Ten questions for the Maidman nearly killed me from laughter.

You won't believe me, but the series got sooo much better after the weird bondage stuff was toned down to a minimum.

Messi

A new Empowered? Nice.

I started reading comics just last year and it is one of the series I'm sticking with. Ten questions for the Maidman nearly killed me from laughter.

You won't believe me, but the series got sooo much better after the weird bondage stuff was toned down to a minimum.

A new volume of Empowered?

Is Batgirl adventures any good and is it collected anywhere?

Cheska

A new Empowered? Nice.

I own the first two collected editions but haven't had a chance to read them yet. My backlog is so huge, and I'm honestly afraid I'll be turned off by the bondage aspect.

LOVE that Harley and Ivy book!

So all the shit that's been going on was because of Bruce Wayne's interactions with the various clans and orginizations over the years as per his training?

i think I mean because he skipped school to watch Zorro his dad took him again that night and then hell happened. And also because when he didn't take Alfred's phone call while he was out figuring his crap out, he got worried and then the Bone guys kid died when Bruce's uncle got him a job to go searching for Bruce.
Also he made Gordon feel like shit for slipping and got him to take on the corruption. lol

I think I'm going to buy the hellblazer reprints. I only know the character from the new 52 run and from the movie, and I like them both. Any thoughts?

Oh those are way good. I'm not like most and I still like that Keanu movie but that's a different Constantine.

Another week another List:

Fuse #2
Lazarus #7
Sex Criminals #5
Zero #6 - The best comic returns

Superman Unchained #6

All New Ghost Rider #1 - Really excited for this one, Tradd Moore!
Avengers World #4
Daredevil #1 - I'm going to be honest I probably won't read this until the last OHC comes out
Marvel Knights Hulk #4
Ms. Marvel #2
New Avengers #15
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #10 - Didn't this come out last week?
Superior Spider-Man Annual #2
Thor God of Thunder #20
Uncanny X-Men #19
Winter Soldier Bitter March #2
Wolverine and the X-Men #2

I own the first two collected editions but haven't had a chance to read them yet. My backlog is so huge, and I'm honestly afraid I'll be turned off by the bondage aspect.

Take the plunge and start reading! The bondage themes are a bit heavy, but it's all satire. And the stories are pretty hilarious most of the time. It feels a bit repetitious by the 4th volume, but it picks up again after than. And the two newest books are stellar.

KidDork

So, possibly stupid question but is Cable considered an omega level mutant?

Not unless he's been powered up a helluva lot since the last time I checked.

BTW, I read the new Captain Marvel and thought it was good. I wonder, though, if Kelly Sue will be writing the new Star Wars comic? Two Star Wars references in one comic! Isn't there a limit? :)

so only the last chunk of batman inc. is canon?

Well, only the last 12 issues are in canon in the sense of "these events happened exactly as depicted in these pages". Previous Inc falls under the same umbrella of "most of these events happened in a general sense (unless we say otherwise") that covers the entire rest of DC's publishing lineup pre-Nu52.

Unai

The most confusing canon is new Green Lanterns. Cyborg Superman was very important in the past of Hal Jordan, and now he probably wasn't even there. I won't even mention blackest night and brightest day.

I have embarked on my Planetary adventure and I have reached chapter 26 and it has been in a word, EPIC. My mind is trying to digest a lot of information while I read it and for the most part, I have grasped the story and main themes but I feel like there is so much more that I have not even thought about. Is there a good companion guide or analysis on the web that I can check out after I finish?

I have embarked on my Planetary adventure and I have reached chapter 26 and it has been in a word, EPIC. My mind is trying to digest a lot of information while I read it and for the most part, I have grasped the story and main themes but I feel like there is so much more that I have not even thought about. Is there a good companion guide or analysis on the web that I can check out after I finish?

Here's a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom