• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They gave John Cassaday like...half a year headstart on Uncanny Avengers and it still took like half a year for those 4 issues to come out. And it didn't look half as good as his work on Planetary and Astonishing X-Men.

Yeah, but manga has Japan, where One Piece Volumes will sell 2 million+ copies in a month. Marvel's Batman substitute is breaking the top 10 with 70k in America. That's kind of depressing. Are people just picking up trades now?

Well individual issues also go for ridiculous $4+ an issue, plus these books area all packed with advertisements which also makes up for money. Trades then bring in good sales, especially since they are carried by larger retailers as well. Lot of it also is building up characters for merchandising purposes.

I still can't get over how Mark Miller entrapped Frank Quitley into drawing the poppycock that is Jupiter's Lolgacy. As it is, Grant Morrison's Multiversity has been delayed for several years no thanks to Quitley and his legendary slow drawing pace. Hell, just give that issue to Chris Burnham...

Messi

I've just spent the last hour adding digital codes from my marvel books to comixololgy and can't help but feel like dc are missing an opportunity by not giving people digital codes on their books. Most of my books on there are now marvel and it makes re reading bits as a refresher quite easy. I forget storylines from month to month and have to go looking for books in my box, it's a pain. But then marvel makes some odd choices with digital codes like She Hulk 1 has a code but 2 hasn't. But Xfactor has it for every issue.

Black Widows art looks even better digitally.

I've just spent the last hour adding digital codes from my marvel books to comixololgy and can't help but feel like dc are missing an opportunity by not giving people digital codes on their books. Most of my books on there are now marvel and it makes re reading bits as a refresher quite easy. I forget storylines from month to month and have to go looking for books in my box, it's a pain. But then marvel makes some odd choices with digital codes like She Hulk 1 has a code but 2 hasn't. But Xfactor has it for every issue.

Black Widows art looks even better digitally.

As a now 100% digital reader. I'd rather they went back to taking a dollar off per issue after 30 days like image, valiant, etc. instead of 60. Still leagues better then marvels stupid pricing.

I've just spent the last hour adding digital codes from my marvel books to comixololgy and can't help but feel like dc are missing an opportunity by not giving people digital codes on their books. Most of my books on there are now marvel and it makes re reading bits as a refresher quite easy.

DC is behind the curve on things like that. Their trade program is the same way. It takes them forever to come out in hardcover, and about a year to go from hardcover to paperback, whereas Marvel usually goes through both formats within a few months.

Dysun

They gave John Cassaday like...half a year headstart on Uncanny Avengers and it still took like half a year for those 4 issues to come out. And it didn't look half as good as his work on Planetary and Astonishing X-Men.

Lets not mince words here, they looked like shit

Splatt

I woulda rather had another Kate Bishop issue than Hawkeye issue with 4 pages of Aja

I remember when Aja did Iron fist, he managed to do about 6 full issues.

Last eight issues had, combined, about 24 pages of Aja art
KuGsj.gif

The most confusing canon is new Green Lanterns. Cyborg Superman was very important in the past of Hal Jordan, and now he probably wasn't even there. I won't even mention blackest night and brightest day.

They should have made Morrison's Batman and Geoff's GL non-canon set in the old DCU but at the time they were too busy trying to make maximum money by pissing off the least amount of people. I remember when they were totally denying it was a full reboot instead of embracing it. It confused a lot of writers too who in the early new 52 issues refer to events that are clearly no longer canon (Death of Superman, old teen titans comics, etc.)

In fact, lets break it down

Iron Fist #1: Nov.29, 2006, FULL AJA HOLY FFFFFFF
Iron Fist #2: Dec.27, 2006, Aja-Foreman-Severin
Iron Fist #3: February 21. 2007, Aja-Foreman-Heath
Iron Fist #4: April 4, 2007, Aja-Foreman
Iron Fist #5: May 9, 2007, Aja-Heath
Iron Fist #6: June 27, 2007, Aja-Heath

Iron Fist #7: July 25, 2007, no Aja, break in between artists to attempt to give this dude time to draw

Iron Fist #8: August 22, Aja-Martinez
Iron Fist #9: Sept 26, ALL AJA PRAISE THE SUN
Iron Fist #10: Nov 7, Kano-Aja
Iron Fist #11: Dec 19, Kano-Aja
Iron Fist #12: Jan 16, Aja-Kano-Paulido
Iron Fist #13: March 19, Aja-Zonjic-Kano
Iron First #14: April 30, no Aja anywhere fuck it Kano-Mann-Zonjic-whoever we can find!

Iron Fist #15: nother fill-in kinda thing, May 28

Iron Fist #16: June 25, FULL AJA WHAT IS THIS MADNESS

So, three full issues in about 16 issues just under two years.

Dude is godlike but there's not a deadline known to man he couldn't fail to meet

The most confusing canon is new Green Lanterns. Cyborg Superman was very important in the past of Hal Jordan, and now he probably wasn't even there. I won't even mention blackest night and brightest day.

In the grand scheme of things the exact details don't particularly matter. Just hand wave away inconsistencies and enjoy the current stories for what they are. At least, that's what I do, and find it works best for me.

It certainly helps that one of my favorite characters, Power Girl, has a backstory that, if you break it down to the details is convoluted and contradictory. 'She's Superman's Cousin! She's an Atlantean. She's... ??? She's a survivor of a universe that doesn't exist!' - Doesn't matter. She's Power Girl.

So when I look at something like Green Lantern, I just know that Blackest Night happened, but the exact details have changed. And I don't particularly care.

But that's just me.

frye

The thing about Iron Fist is that it was designed with Aja's limits in mind with the flashbacks. The second half got derailed though because that's when he got a kid.

Come on now, we don't have to keep on shitting on Aja...

Were it my policy to talk mess about books that I don't pull I might ask the question of how he can be so slow when his line work (at least in Hawkeye) is so minimalistic.

But that's not my policy. So I won't ask it.

P.S. Why is Tony Daniel still so Godlike on Superman/Wonder Woman?

Messi

Were it my policy to talk mess about books that I don't pull I might ask the question of how he can be so slow when his line work (at least in Hawkeye) is so minimalistic.

But that's not my policy. So I won't ask it.

I see what you did there.

I believe there are more offences to artistic taste in She Hulk than its getting credit for. Those faces...they keep me awake at night.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I see what you did there.

I believe there are more offences to artistic taste in She Hulk than its getting credit for. Those faces...they keep me awake at night.

Maybe it's all that terrible Harley Quinn and Catwoman dreck that you pick up that's infesting your dome and not Pullido's great art.

Messi

Maybe it's all that terrible Harley Quinn and Catwoman dreck that you pick up that's infesting your dome and not Pullido's great art.

I'll concede Catwoman but Harley is far from dreck and the art is fantastic in that book. Totally avoids the dc house style. She Hulk is fine most of the time but there is this dead eye thing some panels have.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'll concede Catwoman but Harley is far from dreck and the art is fantastic in that book. Totally avoids the dc house style. She Hulk is fine most of the time but there is this dead eye thing some panels have.

Filthy and Messi, you two should just get married already. Quit fuckin' around

First: Messi are you Jewish?

Second: ViewtifulJC: Are you or have you ever been a certified Rabbi (if you own a yarmulke, you're like halfway there)?

Third: Pulido gets an invite to the wedding and he's bringing all his friends with scrunched up heads along.

when did Sean Murphy do a Batman book, I thought he was all about the Wake. I had to drop that, Snyder did another wikipedia history lesson and I was like "yo....nobody cares man"

batman_spread_by_seangordonmurphy-d730v5w.jpg

Filthy Slug

when did Sean Murphy do a Batman book, I thought he was all about the Wake. I had to drop that, Snyder did another wikipedia history lesson and I was like "yo....nobody cares man"

batman_spread_by_seangordonmurphy-d730v5w.jpg

Detective Comics 27. It was a issue of short stories and Synder and Murphy did a future Batman one. It was...okay from a writing/story perspective. Art was phenomenal.

You should pick that issue up just to read the Tomasi and Bertram Old-Man-Bruce story. It's so fucking good it blows my mind people weren't discussing it.
8806783c332a8c7d3bfeef8d93406704.jpg

Unai

In the grand scheme of things the exact details don't particularly matter. Just hand wave away inconsistencies and enjoy the current stories for what they are. At least, that's what I do, and find it works best for me.

It certainly helps that one of my favorite characters, Power Girl, has a backstory that, if you break it down to the details is convoluted and contradictory. 'She's Superman's Cousin! She's an Atlantean. She's... ??? She's a survivor of a universe that doesn't exist!' - Doesn't matter. She's Power Girl.

So when I look at something like Green Lantern, I just know that Blackest Night happened, but the exact details have changed. And I don't particularly care.

But that's just me.

Yep, that is what I do. It is still weird, though.

Detective Comics 27. It was a issue of short stories and Synder and Murphy did a future Batman one. It was...okay from a writing/story perspective. Art was phenomenal.

You should pick that issue up just to read the Tomasi and Bertram Old-Man-Bruce story. It's so fucking good it blows my mind people weren't discussing it.
8806783c332a8c7d3bfeef8d93406704.jpg

I discussed that shit the day it came out brah! /rafastyle

Filthy Slug

I discussed that shit the day it came out brah! /rafastyle

Maaan, wasn't it awesome? It was so well paced, so well drawn, and just overall, such a damn good Batman story. Tomasi took Miller's DKR's world, mixed it up, and made it his own quite expertly.

Maaan, wasn't it awesome? It was so well paced, so well drawn, and just overall, such a damn good Batman story. Tomasi took Miller's DKR's world, mixed it up, and made it his own quite expertly.

Yeah, I was off put by the art at first but once I immersed myself into Millers Batman, it was fantastic. I think the surprise great story in that book was The Dark Knights writer Greg H. Probably the best Batman he is ever written. Loved how the art transformed in that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Daaaamn, Zero was really fucking good.

There's such an explosion in great new series right now, it's absurd.

zeeaykay

Just finished the "Sinners" arc in Criminal. Damn, has every single arc been perfectly executed. I want to savor this last arc, "The Last of the Innocent", especially because I've hears it's the best one, as well as the arc Brubaker is most proud of.

Maybe they'll write some more??

God damn. In Planetary....
I never really read FF so my brain never put together that The Four were representations of them.

Thanks so much for the link with summaries and analysis.

Just finished the "Sinners" arc in Criminal. Damn, has every single arc been perfectly executed. I want to savor this last arc, "The Last of the Innocent", especially because I've hears it's the best one, as well as the arc Brubaker is most proud of.

Probably not soon. But Image will be doing reprints of existing Criminal books as well as Incognito. But after Fatale ends, Phillips and Brubaker will be doing a new book called The Fade Out, set in 1940's Hollywood. It'll probably have a similar vibe to Criminal.

Read Captain Marvel and I liked it but with me being a DC fan, I set a limit at 3 Marvel Books. We have Superior/Amazing Spider-Man, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, and Moon Knight.

We will see.

frye

Brubaker has been talking about doing a sequel to Coward where Leo breaks out of jail more or less since that arc finished. And yeah, Last of the Innocent is the best Criminal arc.

Tizoc

So quick question regarding Charles Christopher, only read this if you've made it to the 2011 pages
When Charles was playing with the ducklings, were those Townsen's family being killed?

i think I mean because he skipped school to watch Zorro his dad took him again that night and then hell happened. And also because when he didn't take Alfred's phone call while he was out figuring his crap out, he got worried and then the Bone guys kid died when Bruce's uncle got him a job to go searching for Bruce.
Also he made Gordon feel like shit for slipping and got him to take on the corruption. lol

Oh I see, I like how the Bruce Wayne persona is utilized by Snyder, as in he doesn't just look at the Batman character/persona, but both and how both affect the other and how they're related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom