• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
list for me is just GHOST RIDER. other comics don't matter. neither does 3.99 ass Daredevil that i'll get in hardcover. i'll probably not even get any more GHOST RIDER issues after #1 unless it blows me away but damn that 3.99

might also get The Sovereign b/c why not

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Were it my policy to talk mess about books that I don't pull I might ask the question of how he can be so slow when his line work (at least in Hawkeye) is so minimalistic.

But that's not my policy. So I won't ask it.

P.S. Why is Tony Daniel still so Godlike on Superman/Wonder Woman?

I have no idea why Aja is so slow, I choose to believe it's because he first colours the entire page black and then erases the shading to leave the art behind. That's the only thing that can explain it. But tbh, it's got to take time to be THAT FUCKING GOOD with never a solitary limb out of place. Especially amongst these brushy artists (Lark, Phillips, Epting etc), Aja is head and shoulders above them. His stuff manages to be beautifully composed while also having pace and a lightness of touch to it that other grounded artists don't quite manage without crossing into sloppiness (see: Secret Avengers last week, very good but not pristine like Aja).

Mentioning him and Tony Daniel in the same breath is lol-worthy. Daniel is very good (a better Jim Lee than Jim Lee) but Aja is approaching "best ever" level, Daniel is still at "muscley people in impractical garments" level.

S/WW was actually good last week though don't get me wrong. Probably the best last page of the week, I actually gasped on the page turn. I like Daniel 100% when he's not let near a keyboard.

Da List

DC Comics:
American Vampire Second Cycle #1
Harley Quinn #4 (maybe)

IDW:
Samurai Jack #6

Image:
Fuse #2
Rocket Girl #4 (..to keep or to drop?..)
Zero #6

Marvel:
All-New Ghost Rider#1
Daredevil #1
Disney Kingdoms Seekers of the Weird #3
Marvel Knights: The Hulk #4
Ms. Marvel #2
Superior Spider-Man Annual #2

I have no idea why Aja is so slow, I choose to believe it's because he first colours the entire page black and then erases the shading to leave the art behind. That's the only thing that can explain it. But tbh, it's got to take time to be THAT FUCKING GOOD with never a solitary limb out of place. Especially amongst these brushy artists (Lark, Phillips, Epting etc), Aja is head and shoulders above them. His stuff manages to be beautifully composed while also having pace and a lightness of touch to it that other grounded artists don't quite manage without crossing into sloppiness (see: Secret Avengers last week, very good but not pristine like Aja).

Mentioning him and Tony Daniel in the same breath is lol-worthy. Daniel is very good (a better Jim Lee than Jim Lee) but Aja is approaching "best ever" level, Daniel is still at "muscley people in impractical garments" level.

S/WW was actually good last week though don't get me wrong. Probably the best last page of the week, I actually gasped on the page turn. I like Daniel 100% when he's not let near a keyboard.

Superman/Wonder Woman has fast become one of my top three visual eye candy feasts each month so I'm just going to attribute that to differences in taste. Aja's style just isn't for me but I like Sorrentino so its not like its just a taste for the more traditional linework. I was specifically commenting that his style appears simplistic enough as to be rather easy to crank out in comparison to his peers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Superman/Wonder Woman has fast become one of my top three visual eye candy feasts each month so I'm just going to attribute that to differences in taste. Aja's style just isn't for me but I like Sorrentino so its not like its just a taste for the more traditional linework. I was specifically commenting that his style appears simplistic enough as to be rather easy to crank out in comparison to his peers.

I thought that too but if you look carefully at his stuff you see that as well as absolutely perfect minimalist line placement (which must take some time to get right) he also does great work on backgrounds and with camera angles. Whereas Supes/WW this issue was set mostly in a blue sky with no BGs (even though Tony Daniel is pretty good at BGs usually).

There are times with Aja where I'm sure it's photoreferenced but if it is, he manages to do it and still keep it fluid and dynamic, none of that static poser feeling I get from other artists.

Oh, its cool Comixology. I didn't want access to my account. Appreciate changing my password after the compromise and then not letting me change it. Still waiting for that email.

Digital future.

Superman/Wonder Woman has fast become one of my top three visual eye candy feasts each month so I'm just going to attribute that to differences in taste.

Tony Daniel has changed insanely from his run during Teen Titans with Geoff Johns (2005). Compare that to his work on Batman: RIP (2008) and now to Supes/WW. All three runs have art which seems like it could have come out from a different artist. The guy is super versatile.

monome

Tony Daniel has changed insanely from his run during Teen Titans with Geoff Johns (2005). Compare that to his work on Batman: RIP (2008) and now to Supes/WW. All three runs have art which seems like it could have come out from a different artist. The guy is super versatile.

He's quicly redeeming his terrible solo Batman run.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I really liked that soft inking style they used on his TT run, I thought it looked great. Wasn't too fond of his RIP work, I thought it was very angular and brittle, not very fluid. His current, Frank Millar influenced style is pretty good though.

ElNarez

Banned
stay a while and listen because I've been playing too much Diablo III goddamn why did they have to make it 20 bucks
Animal Man #29
Batman and Aquaman #29
Wonder Woman #29

Lazarus #7
Sex Criminals #5
Zero #6 (Yo, if you haven't, get yourself the trade it's only ten flipping buckaroos come on do it)

All-New Ghost Rider #1
Avengers World #4
Daredevil #1
Iron Man #23 (Any excuse we get for Gillen to write Asgard stuff is good)
Ms. Marvel #2
New Avengers #15 (READ THE AWARD-WINNING PRIMER HERE)
Nova #15
Revolutionary War: Warheads #1
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #10
Thor God of Thunder #20
Thunderbolts #23
Uncanny X-Men #19
Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #2

-Eesh that DC list is so fucking small at this point
-Ended up dropping Invaders after noticing I don't remember shit about what happened in the first two issues, which is the mark of a shitty book I should drop

Tizoc

tumblr_mwy05yogkv1qb05x1o1_1280.jpg

Well I'm nearing the last dozen or so strips in Charles Christopher...what's a SFW webcomic with a good gripping story or humor?

EDIT: ...aaaaaaaand that's it, now to wait til June/July to catch up from the March stuff.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
List time again! Quite a big week again. Still, lots of titles I'm enjoying so I can't complain.

Books of the week:
Daredevil #1
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #10
Wonder Woman #29

Also picking up
Fables #139
Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray #10
Fuse #2
Letter 44 #5
Ms. Marvel #2
Rocket Girl #4
Superior Spider-Man Annual #2
Ten Grand #8
Uncanny X-Men #19.1
Unwritten Vol. 2 Apocalypse #3
Wolverine and the X-Men #2
X-Men #12
Zero #6

Trying out:
All New Ghost Rider #1

Wasn't initially thinking of getting Ghost Rider but the talk has convinced me it's worth a shot.

There are way too few mentions of Batman Beyond Universe. Especially from the self avowed New 52 haters. If you love "classic" DC, or the DCAU, you should be getting this book.

Its so good. I need someone to talk about it with.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Probably not soon. But Image will be doing reprints of existing Criminal books as well as Incognito.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about this. I was planning to get the hardcovers soon, but I kinda want to wait now just in case the Image ones are cheaper and come with thousands of extras or something.

He's quicly redeeming his terrible solo Batman run.

Man, I unconsciously skipped referencing that hot mess.

I really liked that soft inking style they used on his TT run, I thought it looked great. Wasn't too fond of his RIP work, I thought it was very angular and brittle, not very fluid. His current, Frank Millar influenced style is pretty good though.

Yes, got to agree with you there. However, I did love one page out of that preview book which included the card game. I guess it's the colours which appeal to me the most.

http://sequart.org/images/Joker-deadmans-hand.jpg

Yeah he wasn't on my radar, really, until superman/wonder woman. At least, not to this degree.

tim1138

Looks like the copy of Fear Agent vol 1 I requested through interlibrary loan will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow. What am I in for? I literally know nothing about this book but have seen enough people here gushing over it to check it out.

Well I'm nearing the last dozen or so strips in Charles Christopher...what's a SFW webcomic with a good gripping story or humor?

EDIT: ...aaaaaaaand that's it, now to wait til June/July to catch up from the March stuff.

Other GAF folks recommended Nimona to me. It's not a very long read to catch up, but it's a damn good one.

Quake1028

DC COMICS
Harley Quinn #4

IMAGE COMICS
Sex Criminals #5
Zero #6

MARVEL COMICS
All-New Ghost Rider #1
All-New Invaders #3
Daredevil #1
Ms Marvel #2
Nova #15
Thor God Of Thunder #20
Uncanny X-Men #19.NOW
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #2
X-Men #12

Toa TAK

Banned

I was bummed yesterday when I realized I caught up with the entire webcomic. JUST when things were getting weird.

Messi

DC COMICS
Harley Quinn #4

IMAGE COMICS
Sex Criminals #5
Zero #6

MARVEL COMICS
All-New Ghost Rider #1
All-New Invaders #3
Daredevil #1
Ms Marvel #2
Nova #15
Thor God Of Thunder #20
Uncanny X-Men #19.NOW
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #2
X-Men #12

Fantastic dc list. I approve.

arkon

Adventure Time #26
Fuse #2
Ms Marvel #2
Prophet #43
Transformers Robots In Disguise #27

Might check out Sovereign #1 as well

Animal Man #29
Batman And Aquaman #29
Harley Quinn #4
Scribblenauts Unmasked A Crisis Of Imagination #3
Supergirl #29
Trinity Of Sin Pandora #9

Sex Criminals #5

Daredevil #1
Ms Marvel #2
Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #10
Uncanny X-Men #19
Wolverine And The X-Men #2
X-Men #12

Looks like the copy of Fear Agent vol 1 I requested through interlibrary loan will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow. What am I in for? I literally know nothing about this book but have seen enough people here gushing over it to check it out.

Sigh, my mind tries to come up with something to explain it. Just read it, it's a great story. Art is gorgeous. Is it the library edition?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

You're in for a hell of a sci-fi adventure featuring a boozed up, hard-luck protagonist. The overall arc is fucking awesome, and it's really the beginning of the rise of Remender. I want to say something about the final issue, but I'm going to refrain. GO READ THE SERIES SO WE CAN DISCUSS.

Boogiepop

Have you read Cucumber Quest yet? That's a downright beautiful one. I also like Spinerette and Dr. McNinja if you're down for some solid comic-esque webcomic stuff. And much as its fanbase has become insufferable, the whole of MS Paint Adventures is pretty fun if you like that kind of "how convoluted can it get" style of humor (plus it's probably making the most out of its format of any webcomic out there. I don't know why anyone would bother with the print editions, honestly).

OMG, I just started reading this after seeing your post and it's such a cute comic. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I just want to cry whenever I see the Diamond numbers for the month. I meanonly three thousand people are buying Sixth Gun and Suicide arisk monthly? Sad to say but I could easily see all Vertigo titles launched last year cancelled this.

I just want to cry whenever I see the Diamond numbers for the month. I meanonly three thousand people are buying Sixth Gun and Suicide arisk monthly? Sad to say but I could easily see all Vertigo titles launched last year cancelled this.

There no way this number's true anymore, though, considering digital sales.

I buy Coffin Hill on digital or trade waiting because of that garbage ass paper. I don't know why I settle for it on Fables, I guess because the trades usually come out for around 10 bucks and fuck it.

What is the reason comics are so expensive now? I was looking at old comic covers from the 80s and 90s and they used to be like .75 to $1.50. $4/5 comics are absurd. Keep jacking up the price and people will just wait for the trades, get from library, or resort to illegal means.

So a week has passed since the iOS update for Marvel Unlimited 2.0.. Where's that update for the Android version....

That's what I'm saying. I need to check on when my automatic renewel is due, but unless the app is out and fully functional, I won't be getting Unlimited again.

List time!

All-New Ghost Rider #1
American Vampire Second Cycle #1 (still need to read 2/3rd of the first run)
Daredevil #1
Ms Marvel #2
Saga TPB #3
Sex Criminals #5
Sovereign #1
Zero #6

What is the reason comics are so expensive now? I was looking at old comic covers from the 80s and 90s and they used to be like .75 to $1.50. $4/5 comics are absurd. Keep jacking up the price and people will just wait for the trades, get from library, or resort to illegal means.

Yeah, and gas used to be 99 cents a gallon. It's a combination of inflation, sagging sales, and "just because." And yes, trades are way more bang for your buck and sell really well.

Owzers

Batman tax.....

Batman Unwrapped: Court of Owls , 1-11, $39.99.

I might cave at half off. I didn't love the arc, but the art carried it into a purchase consideration. June Solicits rolling out Xo.

was the Unwritten vol 9 Fables Fabletown 5 issue story skippable?

Tizoc

Have you read Cucumber Quest yet? That's a downright beautiful one. I also like Spinerette and Dr. McNinja if you're down for some solid comic-esque webcomic stuff. And much as its fanbase has become insufferable, the whole of MS Paint Adventures is pretty fun if you like that kind of "how convoluted can it get" style of humor (plus it's probably making the most out of its format of any webcomic out there. I don't know why anyone would bother with the print editions, honestly).

FUUUUUUUU I haven't read Spinnerette in MONTHS, love that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom