• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the website, Comixology has a few Captain America and Thor collections on sale for more than 50% off.

Just a note, Matt Fraction's initial Thor run (World Eaters) is on sale for $1.99 from $14.99. The deal only shows up when you go through the Sales tab.

I'd recommend grabbing Word Eaters, Death of Captain America, Spider-Island and The Mighty Thor collection.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale
good god damn, these are good deals. i might go ahead and buy the Thor TMA vol 1 for two bucks

Really? I like Fraction generally but his Thor is mind-numbingly bad.

I didn't care for The World Eaters either, but I really liked the Thor/Galactus/Silver Surfer arc, even if it led to
the creation of the silliest Herald of Galactus EVER
. Fraction can't really seem to write Thor very well (true in Fear Itself as well), but he does a good job with the supporting cast, especially Loki and Volstagg.

Two weeks of stuff today. My poor wallet. :(

Marvel Comics
Black Widow #4
Captain Marvel #1
Daredevil #1
Hawkeye #17
Ms Marvel #2
New Avengers #15
Thor God of Thunder #20
Wolverine and the X-Men #2

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #4

Image Comics
The Fuse #2
Lazarus #7
Sex Criminals #5

IDW Publishing
Samurai Jack #6

ElNarez

Banned
Why aren't we talking about Roses of Berlin? Guys, let's talk about Nemo: Roses of Berlin. God it made me wish I didn't forget pretty much all of my German lessons, even if things like murdering sleepwalking nazis in Metropolis cross the language barrier.

So today was the last issue of Animal man right? I've been waiting for that series to end so that I could read the entire saga through without having to wait for monthlies.

frye

When I read Zero it feels like the whole thing could fall apart at any page - like all the formalistic flourishes will suddenly melt away into empty calories and bullshit and the comic turns out to have been a ridiculous farce the entire time.

But man, it's kind of dope. I'm still weirdly uncertain about Kot, though? Even after reading a bunch of his stuff it's like he's this promise of something really interesting but lands more on the level of "only" interesting. That fourth issue is still the best and I want to see if he and some other artist can top it.

Mumei

I would point you to the Waid/Wieringo arc "Unthinkable," which is my personal favorite Doom story. Books of Doom is a retelling of the origin story, I enjoyed that one a lot as well. Triumph and Torment is another classic. Finally, though I'm not sure how generally well-regarded it is, Doom 2099 will always hold a special place in my heart.

He features heavily in the first volume of FF, and that's supposed to be good too, but I haven't read it yet.

Man, this topic moves fast. I think I found it:

10279678.jpg

Is that what I'm looking for? I've requested it at the library, so hopefully it is!

Damn DC, Forever Evil 7 and Nightwing 30 delayed til May. I knew this shit was going to happen when Johns got involved in all these TV shows.

michael-scott-no-gif0jf2t.gif

OH MY GOD. First FE #7 was March 26 then April 2 then April 16 and now it's May 21. Thanks to this Nightwing 30 (aka FE Epilogue) gets bumped up a month. This is so frustrating.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
When I read Zero it feels like the whole thing could fall apart at any page - like all the formalistic flourishes will suddenly melt away into empty calories and bullshit and the comic turns out to have been a ridiculous farce the entire time.

But man, it's kind of dope. I'm still weirdly uncertain about Kot, though? Even after reading a bunch of his stuff it's like he's this promise of something really interesting but lands more on the level of "only" interesting. That fourth issue is still the best and I want to see if he and some other artist can top it.

If anything, Zero is defying all contrived comic formalism. Just speaking about the concept, there is no way that a comic that jumps around to different epochs in a stoic, repressed, mood-controlled soldier's life every issue, featuring entirely different art in every issue, should be this damn cohesive or good. But Kot clearly knows what he's doing. By pairing the adolescent-period narrative, issue 2, with the gritty, gruesome, full-future-war superspy thriller of issue 1, he created a skeleton for the story, gave it a heart, And then he ripped that fucking heart out. It's also important that he's passionate about all of the material--kind of like Fraction and Casanova--and that raw passion is what's giving way to some incredible fractured stories that are being sewn together and then blown apart to make room for even more crazy shit, like in issue 5

I think the fact that we're even talking about him and our expectations that the story is fucking crazily interesting is impressive and shows the momentum that Zero is acquiring.

Man, this topic moves fast. I think I found it:

10279678.jpg

Is that what I'm looking for? I've requested it at the library, so hopefully it is!

Yup, that's it! That whole run is great, but it was "Unthinkable" that brought Doom back to the villainous greatness he maintains to this day,

Alright I'm back. Messi stop touching yourself.

Ghost Rider #1

I really enjoyed it, it moves fast like most number ones but every page was important. Robbie Reyes is not my kind of character normally but they make you like him. You are rooting for him. The car is awesome ( I'm a big muscle car fan ) again the artwork is great. I seem to enjoy highly stylized works though. I'm definitely in for the next few to see where they take things.

One of my favorite comics this month. Don't know how well any of you can trust my taste though.

Ghost Rider #1

I really enjoyed it, it moves fast like most number ones but every page was important. Robbie Reyes is not my kind of character normally but they make you like him. You are rooting for him. The car is awesome ( I'm a big muscle car fan ) again the artwork is great. I seem to enjoy highly stylized works though. I'm definitely in for the next few to see where they take things.

One of my favorite comics this month. Don't know how well any of you can trust my taste though.

Sounds good. But if I don't end up liking it, I'm putting all the blame on you.

jk
not kidding

noquarter

Ghost Rider #1

I was told that Ghost Rider didn't come out today, was I lied to? Or is this some joke that I'm too slow to get?

Anyways, picked up the new Daredevil, but wont be able to read it until tomorrow or Friday, didn't really see anything else to get. Hopefully I find a copy of Ms. Marvel #1 so I cam try that series, otherwise looks like a slow week for me.

Sounds good. But if I don't end up liking it, I'm putting all the blame on you.

jk
not kidding

Let me know but I liked it a lot.

I was told that Ghost Rider didn't come out today, was I lied to? Or is this some joke that I'm too slow to get?

Anyways, picked up the new Daredevil, but wont be able to read it until tomorrow or Friday, didn't really see anything else to get. Hopefully I find a copy of Ms. Marvel #1 so I cam try that series, otherwise looks like a slow week for me.

Apparently it was delayed but my LCS put it in my hold and sold it to me. Lol

Ghost Rider was delayed because not all comic shops received their orders, the ones that did were told not to sell but some just ignore it.

Let me know but I liked it a lot.
I'm really looking forward to it

ReiGun

Random thought: Ultraman snorting kryptonite gotta be a top 5 "unintentionally funny comic book panels" of the last year. I just thought about it and started laughing.

Damn DC, Forever Evil 7 and Nightwing 30 delayed til May. I knew this shit was going to happen when Johns got involved in all these TV shows.

wtf?

It was already hard to care about FE because of how ridiculously slow it is. Who cares anymore? DC, just publish an outline of the last issue with stick figures. Fuck it.

ElNarez

Banned
Random thought: Ultraman snorting kryptonite gotta be a top 5 "unintentionally funny comic book panels" of the last year. I just thought about it and started laughing.

Uh, clearly, he's using his heat vision to heat up the rocks in order to inhale the smoke. He's SMOKING Kryptonite.

Picked up some random comics at my local store that caught my eye yesterday... I always end up getting more then just my pull list. My wallet hates me for it. Lol

Clockwork Angels #1 is pretty interesting. Some beautiful full pages of art with nice colors!. Good first issue and good story so far I'll stick around for #2 for sure.

The Mercenary Sea #1 was ok. I like the art/color style to it. Story's a little blah but I'll look out for the TPB when it comes out.

I've been going back and forth deciding on keeping/dropping Rocket Girl. This issue was pretty good and fun. Awesome chase scenes going on! Some really nice art.

.. Oh yeah and Zero is freggin awesome.

Owzers

Harley #4 got a 7.0 from IGN, this is going to heavily affect whether i get the trade in November. Only have 8 months to decide.

Teggy

Hi, I've been reading a ton of Marvel stuff through the Unlimited app lately, mostly all of the major events from 2000 forward (House of M, Civil War, Annihilation, etc.).

Can anyone recommend any must-read events or stories from pre-2000 in Marvel? I already plan to read the Dark Phoenix saga. I have tons of modern stuff to read, but I'd at least like to catch up on any storylines that are vital to understanding the Marvel universe.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well I'm almost finished reading Joe the Barbarian. The writing is good, but MAN the Sean Murphy art is fantastic. Now I'm really excited for those Punk Rock Jesus and The Wake hardcovers solicited a few days back.

Speaking of The Wake, are people still liking it? I feel like everyone has completely stopped talking about it.

Speaking of The Wake, are people still liking it? I feel like everyone has completely stopped talking about it.

Still one of my favorite books, but I think it'll read better when it's all collected. There was a long break between halves and the first issue of the second half was pretty exposition-heavy, so I'm not surprised nobody is really talking about it right now.

I wonder if either Skinner or the Grey Trader will arrange a deal somehow. As for May she seems to be a rat rather an actual orphan-on-the-run.

I can't... I don't even.

Every issue she is doing something and moving the story forward.

Don't worry Messi. They are just missing out on a great book. They say it copying Hawkguy but after reading Power Girl Power Trip, that was doing the Hawkguy formula way before. Something was probably doing it way before Power Girl also.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can't... I don't even.

Every issue she is doing something and moving the story forward.

Don't worry Messi. They are just missing out on a great book. They say it copying Hawkguy but after reading Power Girl Power Trip, that was doing the Hawkguy formula way before. Something was probably doing it way before Power Girl also.

I've read a couple of issues (maybe 3?) - it's girly hijinx plus every now and then there are some hitmen after her who she dispatches. Not exactly Tolstoy.

It's what I meant, it's story lite but if you like girly stuff then it's probably a good book. Nice art and all that. My mrs would like it, she likes Grim Fairy Tales and Beasts of Burden and all that stuff.

edit: it's like the comics equivalent of popGAF

Messi

I've read a couple of issues (maybe 3?) - it's girly hijinx plus every now and then there are some hitmen after her who she dispatches. Not exactly Tolstoy.

It's what I meant, it's story lite but if you like girly stuff then it's probably a good book. Nice art and all that. My mrs would like it, she likes Grim Fairy Tales and Beasts of Burden and all that stuff.

Why does every book need to be grim and have an epic storyline. None of that fits harley as a character.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Well I'm almost finished reading Joe the Barbarian. The writing is good, but MAN the Sean Murphy art is fantastic. Now I'm really excited for those Punk Rock Jesus and The Wake hardcovers solicited a few days back.

Yeah, Joe is a really simple concept, and seemingly simple story, but the real genius of it all is the
hypoglycemic world being a direct reflection of the real world
. The first sweep-through of Joe's house is done so deliberately, and every aspect of the rooms and the rooms themselves are shown because you're going to go through them again, but in
hypoglycemic world
. Murphy really busted out his best work for that one and it's truly impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom