• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the issues are still amazing, but they are less amazing without that Albuquerque goodness. He brings that comic to a whole different level.

Can't argue with that. But I've never not enjoyed an issue of AV. It just blends classic Vampire mythology and modern storytelling so well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can someone do a summary of New Avengers #15, because I have no idea what happened.

They used the bridge to look into the past and see if what Black Swan told them was true. It was partially true. What she didn't tell them was that she had done this before. She had allied herself with the Illuminati of another universe, eventually betraying and killing them. Judging by the Manifold she was with, this happened right before she met our Illuminati. When they tried to confront her she fucked them up big time so now all they can do is keep her in the cage.

In sort: the Illuminati and the 616 are even more fucked than they were last month

On an American Vampire note, that was so damn good. It looks like Pearl's got some kind of plan and Skinner is pretty fucked.

Savitar

I liked it. I really loved the idea of Voodoo, loved the gorgeous, sexy art (Sami Basri pls), but people just dropped off hard after Ron Marz was removed from the title. Talked to him about it at ECCC. He seemed bummed that he didn't get a chance to continue playing out the gray area Voodoo inhabited.

What's crazy is how Voodoo was the start of a trend of "Changing direction by having another version of the character show up to save things."

Which never works and is soon cancelled.

Just saw the solicits, pretty cool that they're finally releasing that last Powers OSHC.

I have the first Dark Tower slipcase and really like it but $150 for the new one is pretty steep. I might bite if it goes down to 80 I guess.

AV: Second Cycle

Quite a strong first issue. Love the new species being introduced, those little munchkins especially Trapp. Can't wait to see the Gray Trader

MG310

I want to be surprised at the lack of Aja interiors, but I know fully well that the dude takes too long... At least we get Wu.

I hope it's not the end but at least the series had a great run. The delays killed the flow, but I think it's gonna be a good read once it's all collected in trades.

Aja said on twitter that the solicit is a mistake and he is drawing the issue.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So Oz is getting an omnibus. That's pretty interesting. I know pretty much nothing about it though. I've heard you guys talking a lot about Skottie Young's art, but is it a good comic overall or just good art?

Splatt

They used the bridge to look into the past and see if what Black Swan told them was true. It was partially true. What she didn't tell them was that she had done this before. She had allied herself with the Illuminati of another universe, eventually betraying and killing them. Judging by the Manifold she was with, this happened right before she met our Illuminati. When they tried to confront her she fucked them up big time so now all they can do is keep her in the cage.

In sort: the Illuminati and the 616 are even more fucked than they were last month

Thanks for the explanation.

Most of that stuff I got while I was reading the issue, but last few pages left me a bit confused.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ms. Marvel is delightful.

It really is. It's not mind blowing or anything like that, but it's still very fun.

Thanks for the explanation.

Most of that stuff I got while I was reading the issue, but last few pages left me a bit confused.

I had to read those pages a few times, so it wasn't just you. It feels like they just ran out of pages for the chapter and had to cut one somewhere.

Cheska

Daredevil #1 was a nice beginning. I may or may not be biased because this takes place in the Bay Area, but I very much enjoyed it :)

tim1138

God damn Zero is great. You guys not reading this are really missing out on something special, this is such a top tier book.

PsychBat!

Banned
I had to read those pages a few times, so it wasn't just you. It feels like they just ran out of pages for the chapter and had to cut one somewhere.

Oh thank you man, I was really confused. I didn't think the
betrayal against the other Illuminati happened right before Black Swan met the 616 group.

Guess she was just a religious nut all this time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Completely read that wrong and thought there were alternate Swans.

Eldren

So Oz is getting an omnibus. That's pretty interesting. I know pretty much nothing about it though. I've heard you guys talking a lot about Skottie Young's art, but is it a good comic overall or just good art?

I really like the Oz books. I'm pretty sure the dialogue is taken from the original novels verbatim (L Frank Baum is credited on the front covers above Shanower and Young) and the stories are fun. I will admit that for me Skottie's art is the main draw, but I've enjoyed all the stories well enough, and it's fun seeing this expanding universe of crazy characters. Jean Francois Beaulieu's colours are so perfect for the art as well. This has just reminded me that I need to catch up on the 5th hardcover.

-----

2 trades arrived today. After the hype here I got Superior Foes Of Spider-Man and Zero. I think I made a smart decision, these both look really good.

I've just finished issue 4 of Brubaker's cap run, starting with the Winter Soldier collection. I like the use of Michael Lark for the black and white flashback art, I feel like that's a good way of using multiple artists in one issue and it clearly differentiates between the present day and the WW2 stuff.

I have to say though, I'm glad I know all about the Winter Soldier already; I'd be pissed off I didn't because the blurb on the back straight up spoils the whole thing.

Aja said on twitter that the solicit is a mistake and he is drawing the issue.

Rad.

Superior Foes was alright today. Wasn't as good as the usual Spencer/Lieber stuff but it had its moments. Speed Demon's section was great and it was nice to see more Overdrive action. I think the fill-in team handled the Sinister Several pretty well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
God damn Zero is great. You guys not reading this are really missing out on something special, this is such a top tier book.

I'm really looking forward to this being released in a hypothetical oversized hardcover once the second TPB is out.

Man, there are trade waiters, and then there are deluxe edition waiters. Luckily I'm a patient man. Haha

I really like the Oz books. I'm pretty sure the dialogue is taken from the original novels verbatim (L Frank Baum is credited on the front covers above Shanower and Young) and the stories are fun. I will admit that for me Skottie's art is the main draw, but I've enjoyed all the stories well enough, and it's fun seeing this expanding universe of crazy characters. Jean Francois Beaulieu's colours are so perfect for the art as well. This has just reminded me that I need to catch up on the 5th hardcover.

Thanks for the info/opinion!

Wiseblade

Ms Marvel 2

+ I still really like the art.
+ Less white envy!
+ Did I mention that I like the art?
+ I'm a HUGE sucker for teenagers learning how to shot web.
+ WHY CANT SHE HULK LOOK THIS GOOD

- Someone has clearly been to the Brian Michael Bendis School for Origin Stories. Barely anything happened in this chapter!
- I feel like there's a trope JUST about that speech from the dad.

Uncanny X-Men 19

+ Tempus! Clearly the writer's pet though.
+ I really like Bachalo's style. Is that a popular opinion?
+ Magik was in this chapter doing actual magic.

+/- Bendis gonna Bendis.

- Cyclops was in this chapter.

Both survive another week.

On the website, Comixology has a few Captain America and Thor collections on sale for more than 50% off.

Just a note, Matt Fraction's initial Thor run (World Eaters) is on sale for $1.99 from $14.99. The deal only shows up when you go through the Sales tab.

I'd recommend grabbing Word Eaters, Death of Captain America, Spider-Island and The Mighty Thor collection.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Completely read that wrong and thought there were alternate Swans.

Well, we also learned in this issue that
the Swans exist outside of the multiverse. If they were a part of it then Reed's bridge could have shown them what happened to them
. So whatever's going on,
they'll know about it. They'll have a different view than the Illuminati are getting
. What our guys are going to need to do at some point is
find a doorway to where the Swans came from.
I think that's the only way they find any real answers.

Didn't make it to the shop today but some stuff came in

9G9VSgP.jpg

No more spending until Fear Agent Vol. 2 comes out :p

Damn DC, Forever Evil 7 and Nightwing 30 delayed til May. I knew this shit was going to happen when Johns got involved in all these TV shows.

Cheska

Messi, those are some really good pick ups! Give us your thoughts on Gotham City Central! I know La Maquinon thought highly of it (where the heck has she been? ;_; )

ReAxion

On the website, Comixology has a few Captain America and Thor collections on sale for more than 50% off.

Just a note, Matt Fraction's initial Thor run (World Eaters) is on sale for $1.99 from $14.99. The deal only shows up when you go through the Sales tab.

I'd recommend grabbing Word Eaters, Death of Captain America, Spider-Island and The Mighty Thor collection.

heck ya spider-island. it's these sales that contribute to my comixology problem.

Wow, thanks! I like having the individual issues but for four bucks that big Spider Island collection is impossible to pass up.

frye

Really? I like Fraction generally but his Thor is mind-numbingly bad.

e: Shazam at 6 bux is great if you like dorky Geoff Johns comics, best thing that dude has written in years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom