• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Zombine

Banned
Man, animation gets no respect.

Director-Genndy-Tartakovsky-2-Mid-Res.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Genndy gets a lot of respect in animation circles and fandoms what I've seen. It's the medium of animation, especially TV animation, that gets no respect.

I'm talking about from production companies and multiple failed projects due to mismanagement on their end.

Ugh I had to explain the joke. Why bother.

Messi x Zombine main event at Wrestlemania

THE MEGA-HIJINKS IMPLODE!

Genndy gets a lot of respect in animation circles and fandoms what I've seen. It's the medium of animation, especially TV animation, that gets no respect.

The animation age ghetto is still a real thing. Western animation is either for kids, a sitcom or whatever Adult Swim does. And the kids shows live and die on merchandising, not ratings, so that doesn't help. Most VAs aren't unionised either, which makes legitimizing the medium more difficult.

It would take HBO or someone similar making a big-budget animated series for adults, with a Game of Thrones level marketing push, to even begin to change this. And even then, people will ask why they don't just use real actors.

It's a sad thing, because I would love more animated movies that weren't the Dreamworks style (I know Disney does these as well, I just associate them more with Dreamworks). I have had to sit through the trailer for Home a dozen times and I already hate that movie with every fibre of my being.

The animation age ghetto is still a real thing. Western animation is either for kids, a sitcom or whatever Adult Swim does. And the kids shows live and die on merchandising, not ratings, so that doesn't help. Most VAs aren't unionised either, which makes legitimizing the medium more difficult.

It would take HBO or someone similar making a big-budget animated series for adults, with a Game of Thrones level marketing push, to even begin to change this. And even then, people will ask why they don't just use real actors.

It's a sad thing, because I would love more animated movies that weren't the Dreamworks style (I know Disney does these as well, I just associate them more with Dreamworks). I have had to sit through the trailer for Home a dozen times and I already hate that movie with every fibre of my being.

Yeah, I find it really sad that pretty much of all the drama-centric western animated TV shows in the past fifteen or so years air on children's networks or blocks. Not to dump on children's animation or anything, I'd much rather watch Young Justice or The Legend of Korra than Felidae or Mary & Max, but it does reflect poorly on the general perception of animation.

Boogiepop

I finished part 1 of the Gillen Journey into Mystery Complete Collection last night. Really, really enjoying it. The Christmas issue in particular was great. And it's really crazy yet cool how heavily it went in on tying into Fear Itself. Like, from that events reputation, I have to assume this comic probably did more for it than it did for itself. But yeah, can't wait to dig into the back half as well...

arkon

It's even more of a steal if you buy them separately. For some reason it's more expensive as the Test Pattern collection than buying the individual trades contained in it

Owzers

You just know they would get Bendis to write it though.

I was debating trying to pick up the comic but Bendis, $$$$$, liking the tv show, disliking the younger girl in it, and someone spoiling something in the Powers OT are a lot of reasons i probably won't.

It does feel weird liking something that involves Bendis though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Something in me really wants to read that Powers Omnibus but its only curiosity and it would be to expensive for this... But then again, I preordered the Onslaugh Omnibus out of curiosity... Hm.

arkon

Buying them individually is like $26, the bundle is only $19.

That's weird. The bundle is £13.49 on the UK store and all the trades individually come to £12.95 in my cart. Not a huge difference but still weird nonetheless.

edit: just to clarify, I meant getting the individual trade collections for each series rather than individual issues.

tim1138

That's weird. The bundle is £13.49 on the UK store and all the trades individually come to £12.95 in my cart. Not a huge difference but still weird nonetheless.

edit: just to clarify, I meant getting the individual trade collections for each series rather than individual issues.

Huh, on the US store it's $26 to buy the trades. $10 for Nightly News, $4 each for the rest.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey look, a perfectly timed Jonathan Hickman sale so everyone (coughFilthySlugcough) can get caught up on Manhattan Projects before it relaunches on Wednesday! If you haven't read anything in the Test Pattern group, $19 for the whole lot of it is an absolute steal.

https://www.comixology.com/Jonathan...ef=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Trying really hard not to buckle with digital purchases--fuck. I just need a release date for that second hardcover soon, man.

Owzers

I ended up adding Batwoman Bombshell statue and Annihlator HC to my dcbs pre-order, dcbs does offer replacements for paint problems like i had with Wonder Woman but didn't ask for replacement ( ....... ), so that helped with the decision, making it my most expensive pre-order in months.

No Gotham Academy vol 1 though, i have to have some standards.

Messi

I ended up adding Batwoman Bombshell statue and Annihlator HC to my dcbs pre-order, dcbs does offer replacements for paint problems like i had with Wonder Woman but didn't ask for replacement ( ....... ), so that helped with the decision, making it my most expensive pre-order in months.

No Gotham Academy vol 1 though, i have to have some standards.

You fucked up. Gotham Academy is awesome. Then again you would probably hate it.

Oh hell yea. A year ago my dog chewed up my garbage disposal power cord so I stopped using it. Well the drain stopped draining well so I needed to do something about it. Today I went to the store and bought a replacement cord, wired it up and the power kicked in but the blade was stuck. I bought this manual wrench too and the thing wouldn't budge at ALL. I'm horrible doing anything maintenance, home improvement, etc. So I thought I needed s unit replacement and tried to order an installation service call. But their systems were down so I bought the unit and had the weird idea of replacing it myself. When I got home I tried the wrench one last time and it MOVED. So I rewired the disposal again and the drain isn't clogged anymore and I didnt need the replacement unit. So I'm returning that tomorrow and between the new unit and the almost place install request I saved $200.

Accomplishing this home improvement no matter how small is a pretty cool feeling.

Owzers

You fucked up. Gotham Academy is awesome. Then again you would probably hate it.

Hate is such a strong word. I gave it a two issue pre-order but didn't think much of it outside of a few good Maps moments, it was an uphill climb to make the purchase list in trade form. The whole Olive I know what you did last summer stuff plagued it into mopey territory for me.

Hate is such a strong word. I gave it a two issue pre-order but didn't think much of it outside of a few good Maps moments, it was an uphill climb to make the purchase list in trade form. The whole Olive I know what you did last summer stuff plagued it into mopey territory for me.

Sillymonkey can always be counted on to have something bad to say about everything.

Vyer

wait wait wait. The Flash tv show has
Gorilla Grodd?!?
How the hell do you pull that off.

I really should finally watch this thing.

Vibranium

Banned
I just read that Alonso teased a Scarlet Witch solo book, it's about time. Totally down with that as long as it has a great team behind it.

Top Bottom