• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

You know what's a crime? When the Romance Dawn, Jaya, and Post-Enies Lobby arcs get missions in a OnePiece musou, but Whiskey Peak doesn't. Literally the arc where Zoro fights 100 dudes on his own isn't worth a level in a musou. Or Amazon Lilly. Or Little Garden. They had nothing to lose by implementing those levels.

I have nothing comic related today, though I promise I'll read some before I go to bed.

That's weird. Do the games just skip Whiskey Peak? That's a pretty important part of the Alabasta Saga.

Sandfox

Standoff is halfway over and so far so good. It's looking like it's going to be one of the stories going on my recommendation list.

That's weird. Do the games just skip Whiskey Peak? That's a pretty important part of the Alabasta Saga.

I didn't play the first OP musou, but the second one had an original storyline where they went wherever the fuck. Some of the levels were loose, abridged versions of actual arcs (like Kingdom Hearts worlds). The third (and one I'm playing) has two story modes: a Dream Log, which you take a custom crew from island to island until you beat the super big bad boss at the end (like OnePiece: Grand Adventure's single-player, which was fun as fuck), and it also has the Legend Log, which follows the main series story. This one goes from Romance Dawn through Dressrosa. For some reason, it just skips Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, and Amazon Lilly. Basically, after the East Blue saga, they go to Drum Island, then Alabasta, Jaya, Skypeia. They also skip the Long Ring Long Land arc, but that's honestly to be expected. Then they go to all the major arcs. Fuck, Whitebeard War (or Paramount War or Summit War) takes two missions.

Now, I like the game, because it does a really good job of abridging the anime into something that still has the same feeling as the anime. Not a lot of anime games do that, and it's especially surprising for me considering that musou's are a genre I didn't particularly like until I played Pirate Warriors 2. PW3 is even better.

That said, I would like to see them make those three arcs (Long Ring Long Land is already covered in a cutscene, which is all you really need from it) into levels, if only for DLC.

All this game really makes me want to do is to get back into the manga and re-watch some anime arcs.

I didn't play the first OP musou, but the second one had an original storyline where they went wherever the fuck. Some of the levels were loose, abridged versions of actual arcs (like Kingdom Hearts worlds). The third (and one I'm playing) has two story modes: a Dream Log, which you take a custom crew from island to island until you beat the super big bad boss at the end (like OnePiece: Grand Adventure's single-player, which was fun as fuck), and it also has the Legend Log, which follows the main series story. This one goes from Romance Dawn through Dressrosa. For some reason, it just skips Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, and Amazon Lilly. Basically, after the East Blue saga, they go to Drum Island, then Alabasta, Jaya, Skypeia. They also skip the Long Ring Long Land arc, but that's honestly to be expected. Then they go to all the major arcs. Fuck, Whitebeard War (or Paramount War or Summit War) takes two missions.

Now, I like the game, because it does a really good job of abridging the anime into something that still has the same feeling as the anime. Not a lot of anime games do that, and it's especially surprising for me considering that musou's are a genre I didn't particularly like until I played Pirate Warriors 2. PW3 is even better.

That said, I would like to see them make those three arcs (Long Ring Long Land is already covered in a cutscene, which is all you really need from it) into levels, if only for DLC.

All this game really makes me want to do is to get back into the manga and re-watch some anime arcs.
That's honestly to be expected with any anime games. Even the Naruto games for as much as they are great at telling the story of the manga better than the actual anime they speed through a lot of small important stuff. I'm kind of worried Burning Blood is just gonna cover Paramount War and Dressrosa for the majority of the game. I'm still salty that Lucci and the rest of CP9 are not in the game.

That's honestly to be expected with any anime games. Even the Naruto games for as much as they are great at telling the story of the manga better than the actual anime they speed through a lot of small important stuff. I'm kind of worried Burning Blood is just gonna cover Paramount War and Dressrosa for the majority of the game. I'm still salty that Lucci and the rest of CP9 are not in the game.

First of all: not buying it, then. It's like making DBZ without Frieza.

Second of all: I know they'll skip stuff, I didn't expect Little Garden or Amazon Lilly, but I didn't expect Jaya either. Show it in a cutscene like LRLL. Romance Dawn, sure I get, but fuck Jaya doesn't need to be there. Only thing worth noting in Jaya is that it's the first time we see Blackbeard and Bellamy, who gets his sorry ass one-shot. Outside of that it's just a prelude to Skypiea (which is dope as fuck).

Whiskey Peak is ripe as fuck for a musou. Plus it's a dope ass arc. Any Zoro fan will be sure to remind you.

First of all: not buying it, then. It's like making DBZ without Frieza.

Second of all: I know they'll skip stuff, I didn't expect Little Garden or Amazon Lilly, but I didn't expect Jaya either. Show it in a cutscene like LRLL. Romance Dawn, sure I get, but fuck Jaya doesn't need to be there. Only thing worth noting in Jaya is that it's the first time we see Blackbeard and Bellamy, who gets his sorry ass one-shot. Outside of that it's just a prelude to Skypiea (which is dope as fuck).

Whiskey Peak is ripe as fuck for a musou. Plus it's a dope ass arc. Any Zoro fan will be sure to remind you.

Trust me, I don't need to be reminded what Zoro did in that arc. It's stone cold evidence as to why he's the second powerful and most wanted pirate of the crew. We got this glorious moment:

Lbn5z80.jpg

I should try Pirate Warriors 3 on my Vita but I don't wanna spend $40 on it. I'll probably wait for a sale. I don't play too many Musou games other than Hyrule Warriors.

Trust me, I don't need to be reminded what Zoro did in that arc. It's stone cold evidence as to why he's the second powerful and most wanted pirate of the crew. We got this glorious moment:

Lbn5z80.jpg

I should try Pirate Warriors 3 on my Vita but I don't wanna spend $40 on it. I'll probably wait for a sale. I don't play too many Musou games other than Hyrule Warriors.
And people still debate whether or not Sanji is actually stronger than Zoro. Sanji ain't touching Luffy. Zoro, though? Zoro will.

Fuck man I need to get back into that OP life. Scenes like this remind me why I love it.

Dat FUCKING WALK tho

Mitch

Banned
Last FF I played was 10. It was ok but I lost like 4 or 5 hours of gameplay to a death and I never had the willpower to go back and play it again.
Last FF I bought was 12. It was the slick steelbook edition. Unfortunately I let a friend borrow it and it is forever lost. I've watched a friend play through FF13 a handful of times, but never once felt like picking it up.

haha yea, just bought it. Thanks for the help!

Bought. Thanks.
No problem!

Yea. That Amano cover art is so so good looking
That art is so good I didn't even care what came with the deluxe edition. It was already bought.

I dunno. Woke up and was super excited for Civil War and I needed to post the GOAT quote from the trailers.

Damn, planed to watch First Avenger and Winter Soldier the weekend before the movie starts, but now I want to see it tomorrow :D
The Civil War hype is real. I was talking to my dad about it and he's actually pretty fatigued when it comes to the Avengers. Which is crazy in my opinion. We're finally getting Spidey and Black Panther!

SiP Vol 1

I started this up because I had bought the first volume a few months back and I'll be getting the omnis next week, so might as well. First, I expected something more serious or at least a little more grounded. I suppose that may happen as the series continues. There were some really goofy and funny moments in this, but nothing really fantastic as I'd expect from Moore just yet. Eager to keep reading, though.

Messi

SiP Vol 1

I started this up because I had bought the first volume a few months back and I'll be getting the omnis next week, so might as well. First, I expected something more serious or at least a little more grounded. I suppose that may happen as the series continues. There were some really goofy and funny moments in this, but nothing really fantastic as I'd expect from Moore just yet. Eager to keep reading, though.

It gets way more grounded

They really are. It's a shame, because I think Marvel could make some great X-Men films if they could include them in the MCU.

This is my dream. They'd be such a perfect and incredible contrast to the Avengers.

I'm rereading all the Claremont stuff and it's amazing how Singer can bring over storylines from those books but completely miss the depth and wonder that makes them great. MCU just breathes that shit.

ElNarez

Banned
I want FOX to keep making X-Men films just so I can never feel bad about the fact there's never going to be a Tom King X-Force run

This is my dream. They'd be such a perfect and incredible contrast to the Avengers.

I'm rereading all the Claremont stuff and it's amazing how Singer can bring over storylines from those books but completely miss the depth and wonder that makes them great. MCU just breathes that shit.

FOX also has a habit of terribly mishandling anything like superheroes and science-fiction. They just don't understand it.

RDreamer

As I said before, I'm kind of new to the world of comics. Reading a bunch of stuff at the moment through the Marvel Unlimited app. Just finished Kevin Smith's run of Daredevil. Shit was weird. Like really weird. I feel like the tone was too all over the place.

Owzers

As I said before, I'm kind of new to the world of comics. Reading a bunch of stuff at the moment through the Marvel Unlimited app. Just finished Kevin Smith's run of Daredevil. Shit was weird. Like really weird. I feel like the tone was too all over the place.

I forgot what i read by Kevin Smith, but i'm pretty sure "it was weird and i don't think i like it" was a description. I think it was Batman related.

Keep going. The Bendis run immediately following is literally perfect comics.

RDreamer

Is it the one were Karen was murdered?

Yes. And it felt so weird, because it's this heavy, dark dynamic with Karen and yet the payoff to the entire arc is this really strange meta/goofy ass villain.

Keep going. The Bendis run immediately following is literally perfect comics.

Bendis isn't immediately following that, I don't think. There's another writer for quite a few issues, and then Bendis comes in. But yeah, I heard that one's great. Going to keep going through that.

Mitch

Banned
Bendis' Daredevil run is on my list. Not sure when I'll get around to picking up the first TP.

I'm trying to prioritize what I purchase once I finish Saga.

Tizoc

And people still debate whether or not Sanji is actually stronger than Zoro. Sanji ain't touching Luffy. Zoro, though? Zoro will.

Fuck man I need to get back into that OP life. Scenes like this remind me why I love it.

Dat FUCKING WALK tho

But Sanji is worth 1000 men; Luffy himself said so.

Speaking of anime, JoJo Part 4 Anime starts tomorrow get ready for the only good anime to watch until Berserk anime in June, suckas-
J7O2YhR.png

Owzers

Widening Gyre and something else, either way, they were both shit. Kevin Smith comics hold up about as well as his movies.

yep, that one, or at least whatever was the first one in that series because i skipped the second i think.

if i buy an ipad pro one day it's going to be from a place i can return it if it has dead pixels. So many pixels, so much opportunity for disappointment.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That MCU Supercut is amazing.

Hype for Civil War is off the charts
Is the marketing already started im america? Here it is zero, even while Superhero movies arent that big in german anyway and BvS the first time was, I saw marketing outside of cinemas for a superhero movie.

And the most interesting thing is, I am again way more excited to see Chris Evans doing his perfect Captain America then I am hyped for Spider-Man.
A couple of years ago I always thougt that he is a dull 'murrcia guy, but the movies really managed that he overtook Batman as my second most favorite superhero. Love this guy.

Is the marketing already started im america? Here it is zero, even while Superhero movies arent that big in german anyway and BvS the first time was, I saw marketing outside of cinemas for a superhero movie.

And the most interesting thing is, I am again way more excited to see Chris Evans doing his perfect Captain America then I am hyped for Spider-Man.
A couple of years ago I always thougt that he is a dull 'murrcia guy, but the movies really managed that he overtook Batman as my second most favorite superhero. Love this guy.

Well I'm in Ireland but I haven't seen any marketing yet. Expecting it to start soon tho, movie is out in less than a month.

Ya Chris Evans is a great Cap. Can't help but root for him.

Top Bottom