• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like Jim Lee's Gotham spreads compelled me to start reading DC books for several years, that page of art just made me subscribe to Batman, Batman/Superman, and Batman & [X] on my Pulllist.

The power of comics.

dan2026

Best page layout in comics history?

No, check out some more Williams III or Manipul

JHW3BatWoman.jpeg

Have they always been dead, or did they die in one of the books?

I haven't really kept up with any of the Superman titles. Keep meaning to get around to reading Action past Issue 3-4 where I left off.

They died sometime before Clark got to Metropolis. So, in New 52 continuity, they've been dead since the beginning of any of the Superman titles.

kswiston

I think it's been shown in flashback, but they were already dead in Morrison's Action Comics (which is a few years in the New 52 DCU's past).

They died sometime before Clark got to Metropolis. So, in New 52 continuity, they've been dead since the beginning of any of the Superman titles.

Thanks. I wonder what the point of killing them off was. I always liked the those scenes when Superman would go back home and visit his parents.

dan2026

The last Superman/Batman series was fun as hell and about the last time Jeph Loeb was a decent writer.

Lets hope this one is also good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How are Batwoman's fill in artists? Should I go for that book too?

The book has been consistently beautiful from issue 1. The writing slumps on occasion but the storytelling that comes from the art is always top-notch. Also, there's a Trevor McCarthy issue, and that dude is ruthless.

The book has been consistently beautiful from issue 1. The writing slumps on occasion but the storytelling that comes from the art is always top-notch. Also, there's a Trevor McCarthy issue, and that dude is ruthless.

I agree with this; Whenever they've had fill in artists and even now that they've shifted artists, they've always tried too and mostly succeeded at keeping the stylistic "feel" of the book. I may not always like what I read (mostly because Kate is a fucking tool sometimes) but it's just gorgeous.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Seen that. This wins.

I just don't see how anything else merges layout and the panel where he's being held up from the tree.

I'm open to suggestions, but lets be real. Nothing beats that.

The layout is a real marvel.

Ephemeris

I love JHWIII but we return again to the tree panel.

Show me one by JHWIII that beats it, I guess I'll reconsider, but I don't that I've seen a panel that iconic by him.

Yeah. That's going to be tough.

There may be some spreads where I believe are better drawn overall in the Detective/Rucka/Batwoman run, but nothing's really beating it in the Iconic category. :/

Filthy Slug

I love JHWIII but we return again to the tree panel.

Show me one by JHWIII that beats it, I guess I'll reconsider, but I don't that I've seen a panel that iconic by him.

That's an unfair comparison to attempt to draw, as Lee is dealing with a character that is has decades upon decades of history with elements that have become iconic built in over time. The farm, the rural sprawl, Papa Kent just being the a timeless father-figure. It's an origin page so you're able to play on these things and they become iconic (if done with some ingenuity and craft) almost instantly. I think the weight of the story in the panels is incredibly impressive, but JH does indeed kill it on layouts whenever he uses them.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Avengers 11: What a great issue. ("Shut up, Doug").

And Secret Avengers is definitely building up something fun.

That batman/superman layout is tits. But I still think Batwoman has pretty much all comics beat in the "GAWDDAMN! DAT LAYOUT!!" department.

Ephemeris

I have just read the new thor Book for the first time. Loved it.

So on the Marvel side of my reading list.. that makes Hawkeye and Thor. What else am I missing? :|

dan2026

The biggest surprise of the new 52 for me is Wonder Woman.

I had no interest in the character before, now its probably my favorite DC book.

Ephemeris

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm by large a DC guy, but I've dabbled with Marvel from time to time.

I feel like Captain and Daredevil are almost guaranteed hotness at this point, but there's something about FF.. I usually enjoy every "relaunch" of the series but it never ends up keeping me around.

Also,

images

KingDirk

I've always preferred Marvel characters, but for a while they displayed what felt like an insane crossover fetish and the world started to feel less cohesive. They've turned that around recently, and I'm really onboard with a lot of their current titles.

FF is wonderful, Daredevil is consistently outdoing itself, and they've even started handling the X side of the universe in a way that makes it feel like a part of the whole instead of its own deal. To that end, let me be the first to recommend X-Men Legacy to ya. It's one of the smartest books out right now, and absolutely a sleeper hit.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
I AM SO ANGRY

I just finished up the 2005 Runaways run, and I HATE that they keep getting the shaft and their series are put on 'hiatus'. I understand Nico and Chase are in AA, Which is cool, but I want more of the normal series. Why do you do this Marvel? ;-;

So I did this thing where I was rereading AvsX to then reread all the NOW stuff and then I was like "Shit, I need to read Uncanny XF again too" and then I was like "Shit, then I have to read New X-Men again" and now it's ballooned to NXM, Uncanny X-Force, anything Aaron wrote in the X-Verse (you need his Wolverine: Weapon X to get the Deathlok skinny), and then AvsX to Marvel Now. Oh and also Fantastic Four and FF.

Oh, boy!

Wool

guys - you may not have noticed this before, but birdie really, really likes hyperbole

...and double-posting. I put him on the ignore list a couple months ago.
sorry birdie...

That batman/superman comic looks beautiful. I am not currently getting any DC stuff, but I will be getting that for sure. What do you call that art style? Edwardian?

I kind of want to get the first couple Swamp Thing TPB's, but is it tied to Animal Man throughout, or just for a few issues?

frye

...and double-posting. I put him on the ignore list a couple months ago.
sorry birdie...

That batman/superman comic looks beautiful. I am not currently getting any DC stuff, but I will be getting that for sure. What do you call that art style? Edwardian?

I kind of want to get the first couple Swamp Thing TPB's, but is it tied to Animal Man throughout, or just for a few issues?

They're "just" in crossover hell for the Rotworld arc. Don't bother though, it's shit even if you're a Scott Snyder superfan.

I like Birdie's enthusiasm, but he does seem more BEST THING EVERRRRRR than usual

TTOB isn't here anymore, we've found a happy medium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom