• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ahead of the following Marvel ongoings last month:

80) Astonishing X-Men
88) Scarlet Spider
92) Ultimates
93-94) Venom
99) Age of Apocalypse
102) Ultimate X-Men
106) X-Factor
107) Winter Soldier
108) Gambit
112) Captain Marvel
114) X-Treme X-Men
115) Morbius
117) Journey into Mystery
124) Dark Avengers
136) Red She-Hulk

Not sure how many of those are not cancelled at this point though...

Avengers Arena deserves more readers. Especially with things like The Thunderbolts and Deadpool Killustrated charting 15-20 places ahead of it.

Seeing Captain Marvel so low is fucking depressing. It deserves better.

Someone care to explain to me what the point of Jubilee being a vampire is? I just don't understand how that decision was made...

Some editor saw the box office receipts for Twilight and Jubilee was the most expendable young character. Despite that shitty Xmen vs Vampires arc, there was a really great followup miniseries called wolverine and jubilee that everyone must read.

kswiston

Comic fans in general are pretty quality agnostic.

Daredevil and Hawkeye are basically selling the same amount as Teen Titans. All three of those are less than 3k units ahead of Thunderbolts.

Also, my list a few posts back skipped over Fearless Defenders. That was #90.

I wonder if X-Men will meet a different fate than all of these female centric titles. The Female X-characters are more popular in relation to their male counterparts than the female Avengers types are to their counterparts.

strobogo

Banned
Remender just poste this on twitter.

Fucking beautiful

fear_agent_9_by_edgepang-d4uetf3.jpg

Bruno Sammartino?

frye

Daredevil and Hawkeye are both doing steady numbers, which is pretty nuts in the direct market. Hawkeye especially is doing CRAZY well considering it's Hawkeye and Daredevil, as much as I love the guy, is a b-list character at best.

Comic fans in general are pretty quality agnostic.

Daredevil and Hawkeye are basically selling the same amount as Teen Titans. All three of those are less than 3k units ahead of Thunderbolts.

Also, my list a few posts back skipped over Fearless Defenders. That was #90.

I wonder if X-Men will meet a different fate than all of these female centric titles. The Female X-characters are more popular in relation to their male counterparts than the female Avengers types are to their counterparts.

It'll definitely do well. Not only are those the biggest Xmen, it's also THE xmen book. And it's getting good press from every site.

Some editor saw the box office receipts for Twilight and Jubilee was the most expendable young character. Despite that shitty Xmen vs Vampires arc, there was a really great followup miniseries called wolverine and jubilee that everyone must read.

How many editors typically make up the Marvel team? Don't you think some of them might question a move like that? Or do editors typically have free range over their respective domains?

I was thinking of just jumping on from #646, too (love Immonen), but I may read some of Gillen's stuff, first.

Yea I may get some of Gillen's stuff. Immonen is so good I'm really not caring much though.

It'll definitely do well. Not only are those the biggest Xmen, it's also THE xmen book. And it's getting good press from every site.

This.

I'm down, I mean Rachael, Storm, and Rogue in the same book as the lead characters!? Uh yes please (I don't really care about Betsy or Jubilee though)

kswiston

Daredevil and Hawkeye are both doing steady numbers, which is pretty nuts in the direct market. Hawkeye especially is doing CRAZY well considering it's Hawkeye and Daredevil, as much as I love the guy, is a b-list character at best.

Daredevil has been a solid seller for most of the past 15 years. The book was doing bigger numbers (and had better chart placement) back in the Bendis days than now. Even the shitty Andy Diggle run was doing as well or better than the current volume (until Black Panther took over).

How many editors typically make up the Marvel team? Don't you think some of them might question a move like that? Or do editors typically have free range over their respective domains?

Sometimes it seems like they are tripping over editors. Victor Gischlers Xmen series was basically created as an editor idea experiment under the guise of an xmen team up series. Remenders UXF was given to him with the cast selected already by the editor, axel Alonso. And you could really tell, since that team looked dire before remender did anything cool with them.

frye

Daredevil has been a solid seller for most of the past 15 years. The book was doing bigger numbers (and had better chart placement) back in the Bendis days than now. Even the shitty Andy Diggle run was doing as well or better than the current volume (until Black Panther took over).

Eh, I think for a book that's not really in the vogue like Daredevil is, doing ~40k since the second issue is some good shit. DD and Hawkeye are two books that wouldn't have done so well a few years ago, I feel? Either way, I'm glad they exist and that the market can support them.

e: and by "not really in the vogue" I mean no tie-ins and and minimal crossovers (DD had some but they've gone away now) and driven by talent rather than gimmicks. Bendis/Bru Daredevil was like this too, but there were times when those were dropping month-to-month.

Owzers

Finished the XO Manowar trade, not sure what i expected but from the cover art and high reviews....something different and better. It was still good, but at 4 issues and starting out not as a space opera but a Battlefield Earth type book, i was a little underwhelmed at the territory that was covered.

I'd still recommend picking it up at the comixology sale going on, but keep your expectations in check.

diaspora

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 23:
I'm going to give Miles the benefit of the doubt and say that he said "ew" because it's Ganke, not because of a distaste of gays in general

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 23:
I'm going to give Miles the benefit of the doubt and say that he said "ew" because it's Ganke, not because of a distaste of gays in general

Probably both unfortunately, in his defense he's only 14. As a character I think he'll come to support the movement once he realizes the similarities between their struggle and his mother and father's own struggles and to some extend his own struggles.

strobogo

Banned
My cousin has two step daughters who are either 8 and 9 or 9 and 10. They were playing truth or dare with my other cousin's daughter and the youngest of the group said "nothing gross or gay". I was like, the fuck kid, you're 8 and worried that someone will call you gay?

JEKKI

Green Arrow sale on comixology!!!

I swear that site is the new Steam!!

I have a huge list of comics that who knows when I'll read?!?! lol

I came to see what everyone thought of Nightwing, but it looks like no one has even mentioned it in the past few days.

Nightwing #20 -
I'm liking Brett Booth's art, but this Chicago story has not been very interesting. I don't think I like the idea of taking Nightwing out of Gotham.

Age of Ultron #8 -
As Peter Parker would say, crazy town banana pants. I'm really enjoying seeing this Hank Pymm-less universe. How do they fix all this? They have to if this is really in continuity.

Batgirl #20 -
The main artist isn't that good and the one that does a couple of pages is even worse. The story is OK, though. This Jim Gordon VS Batgirl thing could be interesting.

FF #7 -
I feel like I missed an issue or something. Last issue they were all hanging out in the Baxter building ans stuff and this issue we come in in the middle of a fight with the Wizard and Blastaar is there too. It was good, though, and I can't wait for them to do this Doom story.

Wolverine and the X-Men #29 -
I don't know if this is setup for that crossover with ANXM and Uncanny. Old Wolverine was so vague. I thought they were trying to fit too much in a few pages with the future namedropping too. I would have liked to have seem more of that actually drawn. It was a good issue, but I still don't like the artist. It looks like Bradshaw is doing the cover next month. Hopefully he's doing the whole thing. I think him and Bachalo are the best fit for this book.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As far as Nightwing goes, this was just a set up chapter. We met what looks to be the supporting cast, New villain got going and the Zuko thing started moving. I've liked the book so far, so I'll trust it'll make the most of the move.

As for Batgirl that's going to be an arc filled with emotional crap, I can feel it.

$200

Banned
What's the best site for buying small quantity of comic books? There was a store near my place but it closed down in Feb. I've been buying from midtowncomics.com. Although they're pretty good they don't let you pick which version you get for issues with multiple covers.

Wolverine and the X-Men #29 -
I don't know if this is setup for that crossover with ANXM and Uncanny. Old Wolverine was so vague. I thought they were trying to fit too much in a few pages with the future namedropping too. I would have liked to have seem more of that actually drawn.
It was a good issue, but I still don't like the artist. It looks like Bradshaw is doing the cover next month. Hopefully he's doing the whole thing. I think him and Bachalo are the best fit for this book.

Jason Aaron really does excel at these interludes between arcs, he did great at characterizing one of the newer students or at least the future version of him. I thought Ramon Perez did an good job overall and that double page spread was pretty special.
What kind of name is Summer Grey?

It seems Pasqual Ferry is solicited as the next artist.

Xux

Wish I could find back issues of Nightwing instead of waiting two months so I can only be ten issues behind the current singles instead of fifteen or so. :(

I have a small comic shop near my work that exclusively sells single issues but the hours are so wacky (it's open 4-7 on Wednesday and 3-7 every other day) that I haven't managed to get there since I got back into comics.

Vyer

How long has this team been on Supergirl? After that preview I picked it up this week and it was pretty entertaining. PG-Kara interaction was great, though since I didn't read the series I'm not sure of the backstory yet.

I think I'm going to add it to my list.

tim1138

Green Arrow sale on comixology!!!

I swear that site is the new Steam!!

I have a huge list of comics that who knows when I'll read?!?! lol

Everyone should buy Green Arrow Year One. Diggle and Jock doing amazing things with Ollie and his origins. Hell buy it for Jock's art alone.

pikablu

So this may be a little late but I had a great time at free comic book day this year. I picked up a lot of cool new comics and really want to start back up on my comic reading again. I first got really big into comics with the Flash Brightest Day, Brightest Day, Green Arrow Brightest Day, Batman Beyond, series of comics and stopped right towards the end of Flashpoint. I loved those tales a whole bunch. I ended up getting the first 3 of the new 52 flash but have just been very busy or not motivated to read it. I'm definitely gonna start back soon though. Really interested in picking up the Smallville S11 comics as I just finished the show.

Anyhow here's my girlfriends pickups from Free Comic Book Day. Maybe I should make a video as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypkDPQXjJIE&

From Marvel's August solicits, seems that Age of Ultron's ending might impact the Ultimate universe (the below is grouped with the other Ultimate books,* and is by the new writer on Ultimates):

HUNGER #2 (of 4)
JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV (W) • LEONARD KIRK (A)
Cover by ADI GRANOV
• The fallout from AGE OF ULTRON rips open a dangerous rift in the universe!
• Prepare for a hunger so strong, that no universe is safe.
• Is this the beginning of the end?
• All the details will be revealed when Age of Ultron #10 hits stands everywhere!
• PREVIOUSLY SOLICITED UNDER THE CLASSIFIED NAME OF AGE OF ULTRON #10 UC
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Another Ultimate relaunch coming? Sigh.

*It's also solicited right after Avengers AI, an Age of Ultron spinoff that has nothing to do with the Ultimate U, but the writer and the UC acronym suggest it's an Ultimate book.

Chuck

Still without luck
Regular Show #1 is off to a great start. Green is amazing. He clearly has the characters down perfectly and you still get some of those amazing gunshow vibes. Soooo gooooooooooood.

edit: Forgot to mention that Allison Strejlau's art is fantastic.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Damn, all this info coming out on Multiversity and that talk/press release/shamanic speech with Grant have me more excited than anything else that's out or coming out.

Think it's time for an Invisibles reread before the first Multiversity ish drops!

Owzers

Will be picking up Hawkeye OHC despite owning the singles and Ellis' Endless Wartime oversized OHC. Skipping Age of Ultron most likely with that $75 price tag, waiting on a lot of stuff to hit Marvel Unlimited instead of buying the trade ( nova, red she hulk, ultimate universe stuff, secret avengers).

Also....Infinity!

Are these Hellboy OGNS like the upcoming Midnight Circus going to get collected into Library editions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom