• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

*Sigh* The add all to cart button does nothing on the UK site and it's starting to chug. This might take a while

Indeed.

I really don't get how the UK site is such a disaster. It should be the same platform. The CMS doesn't seem to work for it, and nobody at Comixology seems to do know what they're doing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My Free Comic Book Day Adventure! Kids were happy I got them some stuff too!

I arrive and it is packed! They opened at 10, and I got there just before 11!

14075028766_152d575c96_b.jpg
/

Comics everywhere inside along with other stuff! They had 50% off back issues! That included $1 bins which were 50 cent!

Then there were already two cosplay guys there!

Yet wait! More cosplayers have arrived over by the artist signing tables!

Group photo time!!!

Did my shopping and grabbed some stuff for the kiddos. Time to roll out!

Wait what do I see outside? A father and son duo coming to the store together. I asked to take a pic, and dad was cool. He was all like come on son you know how to do this!

Got my bag of goodies!

Some of my haul as I give the kids some stuff!

I think I would die of happiness inside one of those giant American comic shops. Even the "big" shops in Ireland are tiny by comparison.

Cool that you had a good time, Vanillalite. ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

arkon

Get off my planet, boy.

EDIT: While my brother's in the US, Gonna have him get me the remaining MTMTE TPBs along with Dark Cybertron Vol. 1.
I HATE having to wait for a new MTMTE issue =_=

I was tempted by the TPBs. Think I'm going to wait on the Phase 2 hardcovers for double dipping purposes though.

I love my LCS but I just know today is gonna be insane. I went for a big sale last month and I was in line for at least 20 minutes... I don't even want to imagine today.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think I would die of happiness inside one of those giant American comic shops. Even the "big" shops in Ireland are tiny by comparison.

Cool that you had a good time, Vanillalite. ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Yes you can count me one of you!

Wish I had tried to cosplay even though I've never done it!

Owzers

Uncanny Avengers #18 was great, though one nagging thing is the over-reliance lately of " this is the future we must change" stuff going on in comics. Seems like it's everywhere starting lately in Remender's own Uncanny X-Force when they went into the future and Aaron's Wolverine Weapon X future deathlok future future, then Age of Ultron, a future Thor, upcoming Future's End. Batman 28 with Eternal's future future, 5 years later coming up.

FUTURE.

Uncanny Avengers #18 was great, though one nagging thing is the over-reliance lately of " this is the future we must change" stuff going on in comics. Seems like it's everywhere starting lately in Remender's own Uncanny X-Force when they went into the future and Aaron's Wolverine Weapon X future deathlok future future, then Age of Ultron, a future Thor, upcoming Future's End. Batman 28 with Eternal's future future, 5 years later coming up.

FUTURE.

Remender loves alternate dimensions...Fear Agent was full of time travel, and Captain America's first story arc was 10 issues in another dimension.

Isak_Borg

Indeed.

I really don't get how the UK site is such a disaster. It should be the same platform. The CMS doesn't seem to work for it, and nobody at Comixology seems to do know what they're doing.

Weird.
Never checked out the U.K. site and didnt realize there was a difference.

Good luck buying books.

Gartooth

What are currently the best running Marvel series? I'm probably several months or more behind on most series that I used to follow, given that I fell off with comics for a long time during the school year. (and decided to spend a lot of time going back and getting familiar with the last decade of cosmic Marvel when I had the time)

The only series that I've decided to get caught up with is Hawkeye given how much I enjoyed it previously, and so far collected the last 6 or so issues I was behind on.

For everything else, this is what I was following previously:

Uncanny X-Men
All-New X-Men
Uncanny Avengers
Avengers
New Avengers

I'd also be open to any good new series / events that I've missed out on since Marvel seems to have launched a ton recently. Daredevil in particular I've heard good things about.

Van

This was second FCBD, and I must say I enjoy it, sadly I live in a small town and no one really goes, but I did subscribe to the amazing spider man, justice league united, and ghost rider! So hyped!

FCBD was good shit, I didn't know members get 25% instead of the usual 20 so i'm actually gonna go back and pick up the Deadshot TPB i've been eyeing for months. Me and my friends hit up two shops, i mostly scoured the dollar bins. I ended up with:

FCBD books - Kaboom, 2000 AD, Valiant, Uber
Marvel Knights: Bullseye #1-2
Image Firsts: Youngblood
Image Firsts: Spawn
Iron Patriot #1-2
Jimmy Olsen One-Shot
AND THIS
odyssey-4-cover.jpg

random, good haul imo
I still gotta run down and grab my stuff later. My shop didn't get any of the free stuff except what regular customers special-ordered in advance. Is it wrong that I'm looking forward more to the FCBD Uber book than anything else?
of the FCBD books i got, it'd be my #1 most excited for if i didn't pick up the 2000 AD book as well

That Jimmy Olsen one-shot is actually fantastic. I bought it on a whim a few months ago and was really surprised.

I'd also be open to any good new series / events that I've missed out on since Marvel seems to have launched a ton recently. Daredevil in particular I've heard good things about.

Daredevil is amazing. Also worth checking out:

Ms. Marvel
Black Widow
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Moon Knight
Avengers Arena/Undercover
Iron Fist: Living Weapon
Silver Surfer

I have read barely any books for weeks because of exams. I can't wait until the 14th when this is all over so I can catch up.

Unicorn

My friend posted her finds. There's a new series of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comic!? Are any of these comics available free today digitally? specifically that MMPR?!
KuGsj.gif

My FCBD day was at Alter Ego Comics in Muncie, Indiana. It's a small town east of Indy. It's owned by the, Mark Waid. Here are some pictures.

Seen it already but I don't care, met my favorite writer of my favorite character.
BmuaHEBCQAAGMc3.jpg

Sharing a laugh with Mark Waid.
Bmvl87RIQAAef6v.jpg

Some more
BmvmeUkIMAASnrx.jpg

Bmvm0L7IcAELr-n.jpg

BmvnLMWIcAASNG4.jpg

BmvnlRSIEAA6UNz.jpg

Bmvn9dqIAAA8ucM.jpg

BmvnwRpIUAAH_xN.jpg

I remember what was said to them now that I processed what happen and I'm not all excited.

Scott was super nice and shook my hand and signed all my books. As he was signing he got to The Wake and said he just wrote the last issue the other night and is going to miss it. He said him and Sean are going out this week to celebrate it. I was all busy collecting the books out of his way, that I didn't say much.

I talked to someone associated with Waid and the comic shop he owns and he was talking to Brian Azzarelo at C2E2 and Brian said he has pitched a Catwoman idea too DC and it's upto them to approve it. With that and also the fact that Snyder was tweeting pictures of him and Brian hanging out, there could be some truth too it. We shall see.

I then talked to James a quick sec and had my books signed and asked for a copy of The Woods and told him I was excited to read it.

I then talked too Mark and Chris. Mark was also just a really nice guy and happy to talk. I told him I really liked the #0 issue of Original Sin. He said he really enjoyed writing it. Told him and Chris that I'm just recently getting into Marvel. Then Waid talked me into getting the HC of the first 2 volumes of his Daredevil run that Samnee had nothing todo with but still drew a little Daredevil head and signed it.

It was my first FCBD and I don't know how it can be topped.

Tizoc

That Jimmy Olsen one-shot is actually fantastic. I bought it on a whim a few months ago and was really surprised.

Daredevil is amazing. Also worth checking out:

Ms. Marvel
Black Widow
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Moon Knight
Avengers Arena/Undercover
Iron Fist: Living Weapon
Silver Surfer

I have read barely any books for weeks because of exams. I can't wait until the 14th when this is all over so I can catch up.

The new Ms. Marvel is indeed good, but it's rather slow so I recommend waiting for the TPB/trade on that one.

Reading everyone's FCBD experiences makes me wonder about my LCS. I'll admit I'm not one to hang around like some of their customers (even though I've been a regular for 20+ years), and I don't generally do the FCBD thing; but every year, it seems they treat FCBD like it's any other Saturday instead of trying to promote the event.

My FCBD day was at Alter Ego Comics in Muncie, Indiana. It's a small town east of Indy. It's owned by the, Mark Waid.

FCBD really is a blast. Stopped by my LCS and hung out with friends, grabbed my Future's End #0, but I arrived so late that most of the good deals they had going had wiped out their inventory of anything I'd have wanted. All in all, outside of not having cool writers to go meet, it was fun. Glad you enjoyed yours!

Bii

My LCS had Derek Fridolfs giving out free head sketches! I went to my LCS half an hour before it opened and the line was, and I'm not exaggerating, at least 100 people deep. I thought about getting in line but had my 1 1/2 year old son with me and didn't want to stand outside in the blistering sun since there wasn't any shade where the line ended. So I came back a few hours later and all the free comics were gone. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My FCBD day was at Alter Ego Comics in Muncie, Indiana. It's a small town east of Indy. It's owned by the, Mark Waid. Here are some pictures.

I remember what was said to them now that I processed what happen and I'm not all excited.

Scott was super nice and shook my hand and signed all my books. As he was signing he got to The Wake and said he just wrote the last issue the other night and is going to miss it. He said him and Sean are going out this week to celebrate it. I was all busy collecting the books out of his way, that I didn't say much.

I talked to someone associated with Waid and the comic shop he owns and he was talking to Brian Azzarelo at C2E2 and Brian said he has pitched a Catwoman idea too DC and it's upto them to approve it. With that and also the fact that Snyder was tweeting pictures of him and Brian hanging out, there could be some truth too it. We shall see.

I then talked to James a quick sec and had my books signed and asked for a copy of The Woods and told him I was excited to read it.

I then talked too Mark and Chris. Mark was also just a really nice guy and happy to talk. I told him I really liked the #0 issue of Original Sin. He said he really enjoyed writing it. Told him and Chris that I'm just recently getting into Marvel. Then Waid talked me into getting the HC of the first 2 volumes of his Daredevil run that Samnee had nothing todo with but still drew a little Daredevil head and signed it.

That is so cool! I'd love to meet Mark Waid, his Impulse run was a massive part of my childhood. I think it's incredible that he's been relevant and vital for over 20 years now, one of the few older guys who still cuts it for me. His Daredevil run is really incredible, you won't be disappointed.

kswiston

That is so cool! I'd love to meet Mark Waid, his Impulse run was a massive part of my childhood. I think it's incredible that he's been relevant and vital for over 20 years now, one of the few older guys who still cuts it for me. His Daredevil run is really incredible, you won't be disappointed.

Waid's only a couple years older than Brubaker or Bendis.

Wazzy

Banned
I got three free comics today which were okay but I ended up buying a lot more.

Can you guess who my favorite character is? :p

stupid issue #3 of X-factor was out so no kitten comic cover :(

Tizoc

I'm re-reading Morrison's Batman and Robin.
Alfred telling Rick he needs to be his own Batman, treat as a performance act, is among the best lines in a Bat-book IMO, the delivery is amazing and the panels are excellent.

God I love this book. "The show must go on."

Korten

Banned
Today I picked up...

Secret Avengers #1 (Free comic Book Day)
Mass Effect (Free Comic Book Day)
Rocket Raccoon #1 (Free comic book day)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Free Comic book day)

Then for not free comics:

Uncanny Avengers Annual #1
The Amazing Spider-man #1 (that includes inHuman #1)
Guardians of the Galaxy #7, 8, and 9. (8 and 9 being part of Infinity.)

Happy with thy plunder. :D

Tizoc

BatmanInc8b.jpg

Never forget GAF.
(Sorry it's 5 AM, my shift ends in 3 hours and I am bored as all get out with only the B&R series to keep my brain functioning at this hour >_>; )

Wazzy

Banned
Alright so I just finished reading X-factor 1 & 2 and Gambit #8, # 9, #12, #13 and #17.

I have to say issues #8 and #13's artstyle were really unfortunate compared to the other issues. #9 was the best in that department.

X-factor was great and I'm loving Gambit in it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I feel bad for you dudes not reading Silver Surfer. This shit is the perfect space adventure so far. Also, it's genuinely funny and endearing.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't mean to go on a rant, but, man, this review of Future's End #0 by Chris Sims got me somewhat pissed because holy fucking shit there's almost nothing on the book itself, and instead it's paragraph on paragraph on how DC is totally fucking up everything once again by not making comics like they used to make them, and it reads more like the ramblings of a guy who thinks Superman is a real actual person that exists for real, and he's his best friend and he's just so sad for him that he got turned into a spider-robot that he's nearly inconsolable.

And I mean, shit, rag on DC all you want if that's what you wanna do, sure, but if you're gonna review something, do that. If the comic's a piece of shit, explain to me how it is a piece of shit, do something interesting instead of admitting you're basically writing the same article over and over again. Clearly it bums you the fuck out, so do something, anything instead. It fucking baffles me that you thought it'd be worthwhile to write, and it baffles me some more you thought it'd be worthwhile to read.

e: AND BY THE WAY, where the fuck were you when Age of Ultron happened? Like, where was the "Cap sitting is everything wrong with Marvel and it's the saddest thing ever" piece?

Oh god the Ultimate X-Men art gets extremely terrible in the late teens for like two issues.

I just...stopped reading it. I couldn't handle it and skipped past it. Unreal.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, after reading other people's FCBD experiences, I'm sorta bummed that I couldn't make it to mine since I worked 9am-6pm. I actually still haven't been to my local comic store, but from what I've seen, it's a pretty lifeless place.

I feel bad for you dudes not reading Silver Surfer. This shit is the perfect space adventure so far. Also, it's genuinely funny and endearing.

I really can't wait for the hopefully inevitable oversized hardcover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom