• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Sigh. Not one other person even out Harley in 3rd place.

My 3 were

Harley Quinn
Thor God of Thunder
Elektra

If I could have voted for one third of a comic it would be for the Superman story in Secret Origins. I really liked it.

My three were Batman Eternal #1, Green Lantern: New Guardians Annual #2 and Batgirl Annual #2.

I really dig a good annual.

tim1138

One of these months someone else will vote for Zero and the Manhattan Projects and restore my faith in humanity... at least until the next time someone says All Star Superman is bad.

My roommate heard me mention I was thinking of dropping Deadly Class and so he didn't pick up issue #4 for me. I think I am OK with it. I just don't like Marcus at all.

Blacksad 5 acquired. :) Stoked to read it during work today. And I bought a bunch of other stuff as well. (Some classic sci-fi comics)

Messi

My roommate heard me mention I was thinking of dropping Deadly Class and so he didn't pick up issue #4 for me. I think I am OK with it. I just don't like Marcus at all.

You made the right decision

Nobody has any impressions of the current Nova book?

One of these months someone else will vote for Zero and the Manhattan Projects and restore my faith in humanity... at least until the next time someone says All Star Superman is bad.
In a couple months Deadly Class won't be coming out, and then something else can be in the top 3

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just finished Southern Bastards #1. Hell of a first issue for a hell of a book. I knew the story would be fucking great, but this is my first exposure to Latour, and man, dude's art is fucking ruthless.

Well.

Just got back from FCBD and, um, they just like had Original Sin #1? Like just with the rest of all the regular new books? And I bought it and read it?

Guys. It is is so fucking awesome.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sigh. Not one other person even out Harley in 3rd place.

My 3 were

Harley Quinn
Thor God of Thunder
Elektra

I didn't vote this time but if I did, Elektra would have been # 2 or 3. Absolutely stunning issue there and suddenly I care about Elektra.

Hagi

You made the right decision

Nobody has any impressions of the current Nova book?

I've read all 11 issues or so that are on Mahvel Unlimited and all i can say is it's pretty mediocre. Kinda sad that this is where we are post Rich but Loeb gonna Loeb. I wouldn't recommend it, just keep your money for more Nocenti goodness.

Well.

Just got back from FCBD and, um, they just like had Original Sin #1? Like just with the rest of all the regular new books? And I bought it and read it?

Guys. It is is so fucking awesome.

Wtf all i got from my nearest FCBD was a Black Lantern ring and some Magic cards...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have any of you guys read the book Eisner/Miller? I just got it and started reading it and it's a fantastic read so far.
The book is just one long conversation between Will Eisner and Frank Miller about the medium of comics. It's entertaining and highly informative. Even if you're somehow not a fan of either Eisner or Miller, I'd highly recommend picking it up (especially since it can be had for so cheap).

Hagi

So i picked up Doop #1 today after reading through some X-Force on Marvel Unlimited and having seen him in other books like WatXM. No idea what Milligan was smoking when he came up with the little dude but I'll ask him when he signs my copy of #1 and #116 of X-Force.

Still working my way through this week's haul. Really enjoyed Dream Police and the Batgirl annual.

I was wondering if anyone else picked up Dream Police That ending ..
Is the main character just dreaming or something the whole time? The other guy (his partner) that was with him throughout the whole issue changed to a woman at the end, and they had that same conversation that the two guys from earlier in the issue had, " how long have we been partners?, seems like forever" (something like that).. idk

Went down to the comic book store for free comic book day to pick up my free comic books!
.... And well since I was there I picked up the first volume of Saga and the first volume of Scott Pilgrim because you know, you may as well.
Free comic book day indeed.

Messi

Went down to the comic book store for free comic book day to pick up my free comic books!
.... And well since I was there I picked up the first volume of Saga and the first volume of Scott Pilgrim because you know, you may as well.

You did good work.

Bii

Well, that's the point of FCBD. :p
To entice you to buy other things while you're there.
I'm going to head out in a bit to my local comic store. They prioritize giving children as much free books as they can, so I'm just hoping I can nab the three or four that I want.

Omg!

BmuaHEBCQAAGMc3.jpg

Yay! Was he awesome?

One of the nicest guys ever. Talked to me about stuff I didn't even ask about. I was kinda nervous for some reason so I didn't really talk much. Told him how much I liked his books and asked for a picture. I was also the first one to see him so I felt the pressure of the enormous line behind me. Mark Waid was super cool. Turns out it is his comic shop. He lives around here which is a small town east of Indianapolis. It was worth the 2/12 hour trip.

Also, had 14 books signed.

Just a few questions with no spoilers please, but:

Hawkguy - I understand it's now focusing on Kate and is experiencing a ton of delays. I'm going to get the third trade when it comes out and I'm wondering if this is going to continue to be an ongoing series or if they are planning on finishing it with the third trade or whatever.

Also, same series, yes or no only, does the third trade get into him tracking down the killer of Grills? I was caught off guard that they kill him off in the second trade, then the dog tracks him down, but then there's nothing after that.

Pretty much same question with God of Thunder. Is that an ongoing or is it a miniseries against the singular villain?

Thanks for the help.

Messi

Just a few questions with no spoilers please, but:

Hawkguy - I understand it's now focusing on Kate and is experiencing a ton of delays. I'm going to get the third trade when it comes out and I'm wondering if this is going to continue to be an ongoing series or if they are planning on finishing it with the third trade or whatever.

Also, same series, yes or no only, does the third trade get into him tracking down the killer of Grills? I was caught off guard that they kill him off in the second trade, then the dog tracks him down, but then there's nothing after that.

Pretty much same question with God of Thunder. Is that an ongoing or is it a miniseries against the singular villain?

Thanks for the help.

Hawkeye goes back and forth every second issue is a Kate issue. The trade is putting together all the Kate issues, next will be all Clint. Grills is a Clint problem, Kates issues are a ton of fun. The series is ongoing but I think I heard recently Matt Fraction is leaving, so the series might be ending. But there will be a 4th trade with Clint issues.

Thor is ongoing and still amazing.

frye

Have any of you guys read the book Eisner/Miller? I just got it and started reading it and it's a fantastic read so far.
The book is just one long conversation between Will Eisner and Frank Miller about the medium of comics. It's entertaining and highly informative. Even if you're somehow not a fan of either Eisner or Miller, I'd highly recommend picking it up (especially since it can be had for so cheap).

Miller is untouchable for me, but my interest in Eisner is almost entirely in his art. This is a pretty interesting book and it's also kinda weird. Eisner seems out of it sometimes, and he doesn't seem familiar with Miller's comic work at all outside of Sin City iirc. Also probably needed some tighter editing.

JEKKI

wowwwwww FCBD line wrapped around the entire plaza in Tustin CA O_O

I went to buy two things, but one of them they didnt even have (Rai #1 special version)

didnt bother buying my other comic, didnt wanna wait in a long line,

left empty handed.

o well, I hope comixology has a free Archie digest for me

kswiston

Miller is untouchable for me, but my interest in Eisner is almost entirely in his art. This is a pretty interesting book and it's also kinda weird. Eisner seems out of it sometimes, and he doesn't seem familiar with Miller's comic work at all outside of Sin City iirc. Also probably needed some tighter editing.

Eisner was 85 when they had that talk, and would have been over 60 before Frank Miller even started his career. Not that surprising.

FCBD was packed at my store. Didn't get much, but my son got his limit.

I still gotta run down and grab my stuff later. My shop didn't get any of the free stuff except what regular customers special-ordered in advance. Is it wrong that I'm looking forward more to the FCBD Uber book than anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom