• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Catwoman-Maquette-Diorama.jpg

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

Bii

Saga #19

14237435226_071bf0380c_o.jpg

Waiting three and a half months between this issue and the previous was well worth it. The first and last page evoked all kinds of emotions and I wonder where these events will take us. Saga has become the comic I look most forward to.

I'm also glad to read that Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughan will both be at SDCC. Hopefully I can get a sketch or something from Fiona.

14237435146_55b1942450_o.jpg
14257241091_be945e116f_o.jpg

14073902589_83a819a9af_o.jpg

u mad bro

-

On another note, I got my poster in from Jock. Eeeeeeeee!!!! :D

14258415452_ee06775350_o.jpg

Anything worth picking up in the TMNT sale that Comixology has going? The V1 stuff seems like the best starting point but after that it seems to jump all over the place.

Messi

Hmm I'll give it a try she's coming to a con near here in July so it would be cool to get something other than Secret Six signed. Annual #2 its the one with Ivy right? I dropped Birds of Prey after she left.

It deals with why she left

Boogiepop

Anything worth picking up in the TMNT sale that Comixology has going? The V1 stuff seems like the best starting point but after that it seems to jump all over the place.

What's on sale? I can easily recommend the ongoing from IDW at least. The V1 stuff is neat but maybe not for everyone. It has a neat, quirky rough style. The Eastman and Laird stuff is great at least, with the other stuff varying slightly in quality. Having read the Ultimate Collection (the Eastman and Laird stuff) and first four classic collection (the other V1 stuff) from IDW, in addition to what I already mentioned I'd give a strong nod to issues #16 and #22-#23.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Noghtcrawler just got his own series brah, Amazing X Men just read first trade. It's now being taken over by Yost and Kyle, yhe two hacks who I believe are rewriting Ant Man. Nightcrawler has two issues and is good simple comic fun.

Lagoon Boy Lagoon Boy Lagoon Boy. I remember before the Young Justice toy line was cancelled he was going to have a figure. Dont let me down DC Collectibles....

Yost and Kyle are hacks?

On another note, I got my poster in from Jock. Eeeeeeeee!!!! :D

Awesome poster. Makes me want to reread The Black Mirror.

Right now the only poster I have up is one of Daredevil (cover for the first issue by Paolo Rivera) but I want to get another to frame and put up. I'm leaning towards getting one of Superior Spider-Man #20's cover but I'm not sure yet.

MG310

Love that Jock poster...missed picking one up myself (not that I need anymore)

Also..Steven DeKnight is doing the Daredevil show now?

Katrina Law as Elektra. Do it.

What's on sale? I can easily recommend the ongoing from IDW at least. The V1 stuff is neat but maybe not for everyone. It has a neat, quirky rough style. The Eastman and Laird stuff is great at least, with the other stuff varying slightly in quality. Having read the Ultimate Collection (the Eastman and Laird stuff) and first four classic collection (the other V1 stuff) from IDW, in addition to what I already mentioned I'd give a strong nod to issues #16 and #22-#23.

Thanks! They do have some of the classic collections on sale. Unfortunately they don't have any of the ongoing on sale which is kind of a bummer. I'm hoping that they put it on sale closer to the movie.

Is anyone reading Manowar? I read the first bunch of issues and really enjoyed them at the time and wondering if the creators were able to sustain that momentum.

Owzers

Amazing Spidey #1 and 2: I stopped pre-ordering with issue #2, but i kinda liked these two issues. I might wait for them to hit Marvel Unlimited though.

multivac

Is anyone reading Manowar? I read the first bunch of issues and really enjoyed them at the time and wondering if the creators were able to sustain that momentum.

I read the entire Valiant line. XO Manowar is definitely one of the most consistent titles, maybe the most.

Out of morbid curiousity I checked out Amazing Spider-man #1. That was a thing. The one liners were really bad. I don't know, I think I was expecting better than that. Obviously I am an extreme outsider coming in. The relationship stuff was probably the best part.

You're in luck. They are getting a weekly in October.

Yay!

I'm sure they'll establish a JSA after all this craziness settles down (if ever).

Well, based on that weekly, maybe just a JS :p.

Voror

How was Remender's Uncanny X-Force in the end? I bought the first trade some time back but never got around to reading the rest.

Voror

Excellent. The Captain Britain arc was a little weird, IMO, but the rest is thoroughly enjoyable.

Hmm, may get the omnibus down the line then. I have some barnes and noble gift card and 20% coupons I can use.

I think I remember hearing that arc was weird. That Remender wrote Britain oddly or something. Shame as I have a fondness of Cornell's Captain Britain and MI13 series.

The last page of the Batman Begins digital series was a shocker. I didn't expect that to happen and I can't see how it turns into a head fake.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The last page of the Batman Begins digital series was a shocker. I didn't expect that to happen and I can't see how it turns into a head fake.

He's got a suit with force fields, who is to say
it's not a hologram of his head and Terry's still in the cave controlling it by remote
?

I just don't want
him to go out like this, Terry deserves better. He deserves a whole lot better.

I know this gets asked often and especially now since the new film is out, but what are the best X-Men (and related teams) stories?

You've got Astonishing X-Men and Dark Phoenix Saga (which I have coming in thanks to a generous gaffer selling his collection), Days of Future Past (which I didn't enjoy all that much), but I don't really know what to look for beyond that. I plan on getting Uncanny X-Force when it is released in large TPB from this fall - according to what somebody in this thread told me a few weeks back - but are there any other already released stories that are must have?

Are any current runs worth looking into? There's X-Men, Uncanny, Uncanny X-Force, Cable and X-Force, Legacy, and so on. Which are the best?

I know this gets asked often and especially now since the new film is out, but what are the best X-Men (and related teams) stories?

You've got Astonishing X-Men and Dark Phoenix Saga (which I have coming in thanks to a generous gaffer selling his collection), Days of Future Past (which I didn't enjoy all that much), but I don't really know what to look for beyond that. I plan on getting Uncanny X-Force when it is released in large TPB from this fall - according to what somebody in this thread told me a few weeks back - but are there any other already released stories that are must have?

Are any current runs worth looking into? There's X-Men, Uncanny, Uncanny X-Force, Cable and X-Force, Legacy, and so on. Which are the best?
I'm assuming with astonishing x-men you mean whedons excellent run

The other run to look into is Grant morrisons new xmen run. It's collected in 4 trades.

Jason Aaron's wolverine and the xmen is fun, but looses steam at times due to marvel events hijacking the book.

Now the best off shoot xmen book is Peter David's long run on Xfactor. It really starts with the Madrox mini. That's the most consistent and best xmen book for ages.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So how does this Xmen comic thing work? Are they all in the same universe? Looking to buy a couple subscriptions. Mostly looking for a general team-based comic. Is All New X-Men or Uncanny X-Men the main one? What about just regular old X-Men? lol

I don't mind jumping in the middle or near the end of an arc. Since it's a subscription, I figure after a few months it will start to come together. Definitely looking for something ongoing tho.

frye

The Grant Morrison New X-Men run from 2001-2004 is a great series coming off the cartoons or the movies. Personally, I don't care for any of the main X-Men books right now but if you're going to hop on, go with All New X-Men.

Voror

I'm assuming with astonishing x-men you mean whedons excellent run

The other run to look into is Grant morrisons new xmen run. It's collected in 4 trades.

Jason Aaron's wolverine and the xmen is fun, but looses steam at times due to marvel events hijacking the book.

Now the best off shoot xmen book is Peter David's long run on Xfactor. It really starts with the Madrox mini. That's the most consistent and best xmen book for ages.

There's actually an omnibus for Morrison's run out now and I believe they've been collecting David's X-Factor in those Ultimate Collection paperbacks.

What's Uncanny Avengers considered exactly? A bit of both or just an Avengers series?

Only tangentially comics related, but I didn't want to make a new topic because it felt petty:

I'm watching the entire X-Men series as a lead-in to Days of Future Past (excluding Origins because fuck that movie)

In X-Men: The Last Stand, it shows Xavier and Magneto circa 1990 going to meet Jean Grey for the first time. Xavier is walking and the two are still working together to find mutants.

In X-Men: First Class, Xavier gets injured and breaks up with Magneto in 1962.

I take it for DoFP, First Class takes precedent? Or was First Class a full reboot and no one told me? I thought DoFP was both a sequel to First Class and to the original series?

There's actually an omnibus for Morrison's run out now and I believe they've been collecting David's X-Factor in those Ultimate Collection paperbacks.

What's Uncanny Avengers considered exactly? A bit of both or just an Avengers series?

X-men and avengers teaming up. It's a sequal to uncanny x-force

So how does this Xmen comic thing work? Are they all in the same universe? Looking to buy a couple subscriptions. Mostly looking for a general team-based comic. Is All New X-Men or Uncanny X-Men the main one? What about just regular old X-Men? lol

I don't mind jumping in the middle or near the end of an arc. Since it's a subscription, I figure after a few months it will start to come together. Definitely looking for something ongoing tho.

All of the Marvel books, except for cases like Ultimate Marvel and Original Graphic Novels, take place in the same universe.

If you want to try out some series, check out Marvel Unlimited. They have a big selection of stuff on there and it's easier than trying to jump into an ongoing.

Sub_Level

All of the Marvel books, except for cases like Ultimate Marvel and Original Graphic Novels, take place in the same universe.

If you want to try out some series, check out Marvel Unlimited. They have a big selection of stuff on there and it's easier than trying to jump into an ongoing.

Done

I'd never read it before, but I've been buying the Complete Collections as they release and I love it so far.

Owzers

Original Sin #1: Seems a little whacky and light on story. Every scene with Nick Fury boils down to " do i want to do this?" which makes me immediately think to myself " do i want to read this?" A generous 6/10.

Sub_Level

For Marvel unlimited, I ended up starting with All-New Xmen.

6 issues in, I think it was a good choice because I guess it takes place in what is considered the current situation for the Xmen but the characters are the old Xmen and don't fully grasp yet wtf is going on. So it's all new both for the reader and the characters.

For Marvel unlimited, I ended up starting with All-New Xmen.

6 issues in, I think it was a good choice because I guess it takes place in what is considered the current situation for the Xmen but the characters are the old Xmen and don't fully grasp yet wtf is going on. So it's all new both for the reader and the characters.

The early parts of the current Bendis Uncanny X-Men series runs parallel to All-New X-Men in some spots, going so far as to crossover now and again. It made sense when they were being released side-by-side on a monthly schedule, but it might be a bit more confusing if you're reading both series in collected format.

Only tangentially comics related, but I didn't want to make a new topic because it felt petty:

I'm watching the entire X-Men series as a lead-in to Days of Future Past (excluding Origins because fuck that movie)

In X-Men: The Last Stand, it shows Xavier and Magneto circa 1990 going to meet Jean Grey for the first time. Xavier is walking and the two are still working together to find mutants.

In X-Men: First Class, Xavier gets injured and breaks up with Magneto in 1962.

I take it for DoFP, First Class takes precedent? Or was First Class a full reboot and no one told me? I thought DoFP was both a sequel to First Class and to the original series?

First Class and DOFP are the new default it seems. Anything else is probably going to be hand waved away as timey wimey. Keep in mind that Emma frost was younger in Origins than she was in First Class, for example (so yeah fuck that movie). If anything I'd say, on the Jean topic, that Charles and Magneto have fought and worked together many times so it's probably just one of their closer periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom