• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Misused character where even Milligan admitted it might have been a mistake. There is nothing that says it can't be fixed.

Edit: anyone here have an interest in drawing books/has samples?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Awesome, I'm sorry I was bitchy before :) I loved Seven Soldiers but it's definitely regarded as one of Morrison's more out-there works. The good news is that means you can read anything now.
It wasn't as weird as invisibles (which I couldn't get into and stopped) or doom patrol (thumbs up acid trip) I felt. Once I checked up some of the ideas behind it the whole thing made more sense. Though there is still some shit that was maybe overdone or out there.

So how good/bad/weird/plzmybrainhurts is Flex Mentallo?

tim1138

It wasn't as weird as invisibles (which I couldn't get into and stopped) or doom patrol (thumbs up acid trip) I felt. Once I checked up some of the ideas behind it the whole thing made more sense. Though there is still some shit that was maybe overdone or out there.

So how good/bad/weird/plzmybrainhurts is Flex Metallo?

Flex is the best thing ever.

Zombine

Banned
Comic creators got tired of seeing signed stuff on eBay.

Still doesn't make it right. Fuck that guy. Even if I knew my stuff was hitting the market I wouldn't care. Just give me a book and sign it. Come up to me with 20 of the same book and that's when I'd say get lost.

Edit: maybe he's saving up for art school

Second edit: Take celebrities in other mediums for example, when you see them on the street and you politely ask them for an autograph, they don't hustle you for $15. This is more or less some jerk taking advantage of perceived nerds.

Sadist

Bullseye was great

dark-avengers-4.jpg

Also Daken
Bullseye posing as Hawkeye is great.

It's the sole reason I bought Deadpool Dark Reign vol. 2 because of the amazing Deadpool vs. Bullseye story. I AM THE MEAT.

diaspora

Still doesn't make it right. Fuck that guy. Even if I knew my stuff was hitting the market I wouldn't care. Just give me a book and sign it. Come up to me with 20 of the same book and that's when I'd say get lost.

Damn

Cheska

Comic creators got tired of seeing signed stuff on eBay.

Literally no other artist or creator charged us anything.

By this metric all of your favorite artists are just as big of douchebags.

Uh I'm not sure I get this?

I don't mind something like Neal Adams where he asks that you buy prints and he will sign them. But flat out charging $15 for ONE signature is outrageous. I don't even like the guy THAT much. He just so happened to be there so I brought ASM with me. What I really feel bad for is my fiancé since he didn't really know that's not the norm.

Edit: Apparently it was $5 for each additional signature.

Second edit: Take celebrities in other mediums for example, when you see them on the street and you politely ask them for an autograph, they don't hustle you for $15. This is more or less some jerk taking advantage of perceived nerds.

Oh you mean the ones who make literally millions of dollars a day?

Hm. I feel like there's something different between them and a comic book artist.

Maybe....millions...of somethings.

Zombine

Banned
I don't mind something like Neal Adams where he asks that you buy prints and he will sign them. But flat out charging $15 for ONE signature is outrageous. I don't even like the guy THAT much. He just so happened to be there so I brought ASM with me. What I really feel bad for is my fiancé since he didn't really know that's not the norm.

Prints are absolutely acceptable. You're right. Commissioning a drawing is 100% awesome and fine also. You cross the line when you think your signature is so fucking important you charge $15 for it. If it was to be donated to a comic fund or a children's fund no issue there as well.

My problem stems from these guys shaking down people who legitimately love your work. They look up to you and weekly/bi-weekly/monthly you give someone a few minutes of enjoyment and let them escape the real world. Guy who get to work fun careers for a living? They (we) got it made, and when you shit up the place and start trying to make some extra cash because you saw your sig up on ebay is ridiculous. That means you're important. You're a part of pop culture. That does not give you the right to charge. You fell into a cushy career because of us so go take a hike.

Oh you mean the ones who make literally millions of dollars a day?

Hm. I feel like there's something different between them and a comic book artist.

Maybe....millions...of somethings.

I was thinking about that during the second edit. I understand the difference in income, and I understand that some celebrities make you pay for those meet and greets, but when you get into other aspects of the entertainment industry you know you're only making money so long as you have your next job lined up, but bros like Ramos are not struggling. I'd gladly pay for a Tony Moore signature though, at least I know it would go toward him finding somewhere to live.

You can tell that this left a sour taste in Cheska's mouth. It's. Really lousy experience all around.

Messi

Humberto Ramos just charged my fiancé $15 to sign my copy of Amazing Spidey #1.

What a douchebag.

That's pretty scummy. :(

Did you get anything else signed? You need to go to a con where the Harley team are signing stuff so I can live vicariously through you. Or you know Ann Nocenti. :p

survivor-smile.gif

I said goddam.

Totally love his work on Spidey though, I really love his Anna Maria and MJ

Zombine

Banned
I'll let it rest at that so this doesn't go on forever. It's just a really crummy practice and it shouldn't be tolerated unless Ramos is going to draw you a picture of Harley Quinn bopping Spiderman on the head with her hammer.

If I was in the comic industry I'd sign all my shit for free and chat you up for being an amazing fan.

I'm still serious about looking for an artist. If you guys draw or know someone who is interested let me know. I want Rafa to co-write/edit my shit.

Messi

I'll let it rest at that so this doesn't go on forever. It's just a really crummy practice and it shouldn't be tolerated unless Ramos is going to draw you a picture of Harley Quinn bopping Spiderman on the head with her hammer.

If I was in the comic industry I'd sign all my shit for free and chat you up for being an amazing fan.

I'm still serious about looking for an artist. If you guys draw or know someone who is interested let me know. I want Rafa to co-write/edit my shit.

I'd pay to see that by Ramos...

Zombine

Banned
I want them all. But they are missing someone special
Batman, gotcha :)

I think around February-March when DC had that giant list of their line up for the year they showed Batman & Catwoman, so this leaves one logical character!
Alfred

Bii

Anyone know if these are poseable without the use of a stand of some sort? Two-Face looks like he'll tip over if someone sneezed on him.

Black Widow #6

14185914586_ff9d266e38_o.jpg

Yo, I really like this cover. Those attacking arms give off a great illusion of being a part of an arachnid's legs. Of course, you can ignore the extra two hands/arms on the bottom but it's still a great looking cover.

Not sure what's going on with the Phil Noto's art but details doesn't seem to be the focus with each passing issue. Colors are more washed out compared to previous issues, though I still like the soft color tones that populate each panel. The sequence of events that occur at the first half of the book was boring and the fight with Molot was extremely short. Despite that, I did find parts of the book enjoyable; especially when it shows Natasha's human side. The best and funniest part of the book was made by a special guest appearance: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2898/14209058825_99b2a0ddbe_o.jpg Natasha's expression is golden.

14205767841_76d9e83be7_o.jpg

Plane.gif

14208916204_5185aceb8a_o.jpg

Anyone want to read Black Widow #6? First quote to ask for them gets the digital code.

I also have Black Widow #1-5 codes to give away.

Bii

Did you take that photo Bii? You somehow made it look even cooler.

I sure did. I try to take pictures of the more interesting panels. Hopefully I'm not going too far to spoiler anything. If I feel like I'm spoiling anything, I just link it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just re-read Daredevil Noir. I know that objectively it's far from being one of the best-written or best-drawn comic, but for some reason I really like it a lot.

The worst part is it makes me reeeally want to read the gritty Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs, but I reeeeeeeally can't buy any more books for a little while.

Humberto Ramos just charged my fiancé $15 to sign my copy of Amazing Spidey #1.

What a douchebag.

Damn, that's shitty. I got a thing signed from him once and it was $5 bucks for each additional item. Which is wack, but at least the one thing was still free. $15 for one is super shit

Kipp

Read them when you can, that's some good reading right there.

Oddly, I do have the first and last TPBs of that volume of Daredevil though. I have the Kevin Smith Daredevil TPB and the third Ultimate Collection of Brubaker's Daredevil.
Funnily enough, those represent my only two bad experiences with buying TPBs used for super cheap on GoHastings. The Kevin Smith book has awful water damage and the Brubaker Ultimate Collection 3 I received when I ordered Miller's Man Without Fear. The silver lining to that is that I only paid $5ish for a like new copy of Brubaker Ultimate Collection 3 which would otherwise be $18 on IST, so now I only have to buy 5 Ultimate Collections to get the whole run. Haha

With all that said, I think I'll just read the Kevin Smith TPB for now to satiate my desire for more Daredevil since I haven't read that yet.

You're not using Comixology's redeem page are you?

Marvel.com/redeem

I hope it's this.

Nope, I was on the Marvel site.

onlinesupport@marvel.com

Have the title be "Amazing Spiderman #1 Invalid Code" briefly explain your situation to them, include the invalid code, and they 'll give you a fresh one. I've had it happen multiple times and they always respond fast. You'll get your working code.

Thank you! I emailed them a few hours ago, hopefully they'll have someone working on the weekend. I really wanna try out Spidey on my Nexus.

Waid's DD is already better than Bendis's and Brubaker's

Lies and slander. The Waid run is really good, but it isn't consistantly entertaining the way that the Bendis and Brubaker runs were. I mean, the story arc from just a bit ago with the monsters? What the fuck was that bullshit?

Lies and slander. The Waid run is really good, but it isn't consistantly entertaining the way that the Bendis and Brubaker runs were. I mean, the story arc from just a bit ago with the monsters? What the fuck was that bullshit?

It's called fun. Too bad Bru and Bendis never heard of it.

Kipp

Waid's DD is already better than Bendis's and Brubaker's

I actually have the first two Waid Daredevil OHCs coming in the mail along with some other books, hence the "I really shouldn't buy more books for a while." Haha
I'm looking forward to reading it, but it's a totally different sort of Daredevil, isn't it? At the moment, what I want is something more dark and gritty, which is Bendis and Brubaker's Daredevil.
I'm certain that soon enough I'll be wanting something lighthearted like Waid's Daredevil though.

What I'm trying to say towards this Bendis/Brubaker vs. Waid Daredevil argument is whynotboth.gif?

LosDaddie

Banned
Heading to a small con tomorrow in Tampa that I got a couple free tickets for at MegaCon in March. I have a limit of about ~$140 I set for myself.

One of the great things about Central FL are all the small comic cons that happen throughout the year. They are the best places to score hardcovers (my fave) and TPBs half off or more.

PsychBat!

Banned

Bashing Waid's DD and liking Bendis' GotG? *DING DING DING*

Bendis' is one of my all time favorite runs of anything ever, which is why it's hard for me to support Brubaker's run for obvious, Milla-related reasons.

Devil in Cell Block D was soooo good. Overall, though, I think the Bendis run was the better of the two. Maleev definitely had a hand in that, though. His gritty art style suited the book extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom