• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Speaking of comic cons, is SDCC the only con that's ludicrously difficult to get passes for? I live near San Diego and having just got into comics about a year ago haven't been yet. I attempted to get a pass this year and you practically have to win the lottery to get a pass if you didn't go the previous year. It's nuts. And a little bit frustrating, since I want to get in on the fun.

I know that pain man. I was about to go to NYCC for the first time last year as a belated present for my birthday but I opted out of going because I wasn't hearing back from my work interviews. One day before the con started I was offered 3 jobs. This year I'm prepared but I do feel your SDCC pain. It's just as ridiculous as Penny Arcade to get passes for.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I know that pain man. I was about to go to NYCC for the first time last year as a belated present for my birthday but I opted out of going because I wasn't hearing back from my work interviews. One day before the con started I was offered 3 jobs. This year I'm prepared but I do feel your SDCC pain. It's just as ridiculous as Penny Arcade to get passes for.

You got offered three jobs in one day? There have been worse cases of bad luck. Haha
But that is unfortunate timing. Good that you get to go this year though!

Zombine

Banned
You got offered three jobs in one day? There have been worse cases of bad luck. Haha
But that is unfortunate timing. Good that you get to go this year though!

It was bizarre. One I discarded and the other two are my current ones. This year I'm gonna go crazy and buy all sorts of shit and I'm in the process of prepping my girlfriend's Black Canary Cosplay.

tim1138

Just saw days of future past and now I want to read the comic... Which trade should I buy off Amazon? I noticed theres two of them, not sure which one is the better one to get though.

Neither. Go to comixology and spend $4 on Uncanny X-Men #141 and #142. The entire story is contained in those two issues.

Vyer

Bah, I might not be able to go to Comicpalooza this year after all. I could be listening to Stan Lee tell some stories right now damn it!

Kipp

It was bizarre. One I discarded and the other two are my current ones. This year I'm gonna go crazy and buy all sorts of shit and I'm in the process of prepping my girlfriend's Black Canary Cosplay.

Well congratulations on the jobs! I'm currently looking for a full-time job and I'd be ecstatic to even get one job offered to me in a day. Haha

And so that this post isn't 100% off topic, I'll do my monthly routine of saying that more people should read Frank Miller's Life and Times of Martha Washington. That book is definitely in my top three favorites. Not really sure what my other two are, but I know that if I say it's my favorite, I'll think of a more favorite favorite in about two minutes.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sure, if Korupt pays! I'm a cheap date, Korupt, promise!

All kidding aside, I think he meant for one of the two Cincy Cons.

Sheeeeit. I got all excited. Could have assembled the Frank Quitely Force.

Bii

Speaking of comic cons, is SDCC the only con that's ludicrously difficult to get passes for? I live near San Diego and having just got into comics about a year ago haven't been yet. I attempted to get a pass this year and you practically have to win the lottery to get a pass if you didn't go the previous year. It's nuts. And a little bit frustrating, since I want to get in on the fun.

I've been fortunate enough to get passes the past three years. This July will be my fourth consecutive SDCC. Though I'm going to change my 2015 plans up; I don't plan on attending SDCC next year but instead attend "smaller" cons.

But yeah, getting passes for SDCC is extremely frustrating.

Kipp

I've been fortunate enough to get passes the past three years. This July will be my fourth consecutive SDCC. Though I'm going to change my 2015 plans up; I don't plan on attending SDCC next year but instead attend "smaller" cons.

But yeah, getting passes for SDCC is extremely frustrating.

What are some of the good smaller cons in Southern California (assuming you don't come to SDCC from somewhere far away)? I'd really enjoy going to one.

MG310

Looking at pics of SDCC makes it seem like my own personal hell...even compared to NYCC at its busiest.

They announced today if you are going to Special Edition NYC you get first shot at the Non VIP passes for NYCC. The general on sale is 3 days later. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a VIP one again.

Kipp

Looking at pics of SDCC makes it seem like my own personal hell...even compared to NYCC at its busiest.

Yeah, it kinda does look like a very unpleasant place to be since I don't like giant busy crowds either. Although I'm sure the spectacle of it all would be really cool.

Zombine

Banned
My first Batman comic was a Moench/Kelley Jones issue - second part of a three-part Man-Bat story. I'm absolutely grabbing that collection when I get the chance.

It was my introduction to Batman also when I was a child. That collection is so wonderful with the exception of the first issue.

Owzers

Forever Evil #7: There really wasn't anywhere for this series to go and it did slightly less. I expected
the threat that destroyed ultraman's world to come to this universe and everyone would have to fight it or die. But that didn't happen, which is okay, but at the same time this whole miniseries would kind of.....bad?
I'm reminded of Bendis' Siege where Osborn takes on Asgard and the story turns out to be some pathetic Sentry book, because he could. Because Bendis is gonna Bendis, and now that's Geoff Johns' role, just doing crap. This is Johns just moving the pieces around a bit. Setting up a new enemy for later and pushing Luthor into the Justice League book.

I know this is overly negative above, but as forgettable comics go, Forever Evil was okay. It had some moments....i think an arm was ripped off right? Neck snapped? So there was violence. And a hug. Some decent dialog from Luthor apart from the 5 " no really, i have a soul " stories. Obligatory 5/10, as average of an event as it gets and no one will be talking about it in a week. Or less.

kswiston

My first comics Batman was during No Man's Land.

I got into comics during the mid 90s, so most of my experiences to the big heroes was during that era.

My first batman story was Breaking the Bat, first Spidey death of gwen stacey, Supes, death of Superman.

X-men, just a bunch of random Claremount issues.

My first Spidey was reading through someone's copy of Kraven's Last Hunt. I can't remember my first X-Men, and I think my first Superman story was a little after the Return of Superman. If not that, then it was definitely an Electro-Supes issue.

It was my introduction to Batman also when I was a child. That collection is so wonderful with the exception of the first issue.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever finished that arc. Nor did I read the first issue. I should try and find those issues, especially since they're not covered in the first volume of Moench stories.

Bii

What are some of the good smaller cons in Southern California (assuming you don't come to SDCC from somewhere far away)? I'd really enjoy going to one.

Gotta be honest, I haven't really been to any other cons other than Wondercon and San Diego Comic-Con. With the former, I had only been to the last one when it was held in San Francisco back in 2011. So I've no idea how Wondercon is now that it's in Anaheim. After SDCC, I plan to attend Big Wow Comicfest 2015 in San Jose, Wondercon 2015 in Anaheim, Long Beach Comic Con (I might go this September if my schedule is open) and Zappcon in October here in Fresno (it's where I currently reside).

And just for the heck of it, I'm posting most of the swag I got during my comic convention outings.

Wondercon 2011
5587766578_94cdeaaf91_o.jpg

SDCC 2011
5973358924_a801836183_o.jpg

SDCC 2012
7578929178_f7b74a37cc_o.jpg

SDCC 2013 (I didn't take my DSLR, so marvel at my phone pics)
14232101366_50734f7e7c_o.jpg
14275419513_e62e629fb4_o.jpg
14253073822_c5eb2db520_o.jpg

Once you've attended enough cons, you tend to pass up on a lot of freebies. *laughs*

kswiston

None of my "firsts" were particularly good...

First X-Men was during Onslaught.

First Spider-man was Maximum Clonage or Hobgoblin Lives

First Avengers was Avengers Reborn

I gobbled up turds like they were prime rib before I learned better.

Damn good photos. I've been to Wondercon Anaheim twice, it's a good as fuck show. Guest list this year was notably way weaker than the one last year though. Idk what's up with that. I went to LBCC 2012, it's pretty decent. Might go back this year if they spice up the guest list a bit. Lotta local talent but not many really make stuff i'm that into. IDK how Comikaze has been, i went in 2012 and it was sloppily run (but i had a good time, it being my first con and all)

Kipp

Gotta be honest, I haven't really been to any other cons other than Wondercon and San Diego Comic-Con. With the former, I had only been to the last one when it was held in San Francisco back in 2011. So I've no idea how Wondercon is now that it's in Anaheim. After SDCC, I plan to attend Big Wow Comicfest 2015 in San Jose, Wondercon 2015 in Anaheim, Long Beach Comic Con (I might go this September if my schedule is open) and Zappcon in October here in Fresno (it's where I currently reside).

And just for the heck of it, I'm posting most of the swag I got during my comic convention outings.

Thanks for posting those photos! Those were cool to look at.
And thanks for that list of cons in the area. Hopefully I can make it to one or two of them.

Damn good photos. I've been to Wondercon Anaheim twice, it's a good as fuck show. Guest list this year was notably way weaker than the one last year though. Idk what's up with that. I went to LBCC 2012, it's pretty decent. Might go back this year if they spice up the guest list a bit. Lotta local talent but not many really make stuff i'm that into. IDK how Comikaze has been, i went in 2012 and it was sloppily run (but i had a good time, it being my first con and all)

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely try to make it to Wondercon the next time that rolls around.

MG310

First comic arc I actually remember reading was Captain America: The Superia Stratagem in which Superia and her Femizons attempt to turn Captain America and Paladin into women.

Yeah, it kinda does look like a very unpleasant place to be since I don't like giant busy crowds either. Although I'm sure the spectacle of it all would be really cool.

SDCC is the only con I've ever gone to, and yeah, it's nuts. You can barely walk throughout most of the convention center. But it's really fun despite that, I had a blast the two times I went.

I want to go to some of the cons down here in Florida one day. I hear a lot of good things about them.

Owzers

my dcbs comic reading has gotten off to a bad start when i noticed a chunk hanging out of my Daredevil #3 issue, opened it and one page was all torn up. :( Paper comics, you disappoint me so so much. Then Forever Evil #7 and Walking Dead #126 after that.

Walking Dead #126:
I'm glad they didn't kill Negan, though i don't like the idea of putting him in jail for life like Rick wants.
I'm sticking with the book though, there was a chance i'd be done with it after this All Out War slowness but it's one of the few titles i'm sticking with despite not really being "great" all the time.

Zombine

Banned
Walking Dead #126:
I'm glad they didn't kill Negan, though i don't like the idea of putting him in jail for life like Rick wants.
I'm sticking with the book though, there was a chance i'd be done with it after this All Out War slowness but it's one of the few titles i'm sticking with despite not really being "great" all the time.

I still
think that these new survivors are going to stumble upon Negan locked up and side with him. Other theory is that he turned a new leaf which would be pretty damn cool but unlikely.

Bii

SDCC is the only con I've ever gone to, and yeah, it's nuts. You can barely walk throughout most of the convention center. But it's really fun despite that, I had a blast the two times I went.

I want to go to some of the cons down here in Florida one day. I hear a lot of good things about them.

The line waiting at SDCC is awful as well. Especially the panels in Hall H and Ballroom 20. I actually don't attend panels any more as most of them can be viewed on Youtube after the event anyway. :/
Though I do agree that it's something that should be experienced at least once for any comics fan. My overall experience throughout the years have been positive and would love to attend it every year if and when I can.

-

Fables #140

14233301046_a5782361ef_o.jpg

Nimit Malavia has been doing an excellent job doing covers for Fables. Unfortunately, that's the only good thing I can say about it as of late. Art, colors, writing, basically everything in this issue seems to be lazily put together; which is strange to say given that the last issue came out two months ago.

I didn't start reading comics until I attended San Diego Comic-Con back in 2011. DC was hyping up their New 52 and I was caught up in it. I had an online friend who I was going to meet and we decided to convene at the panel that Bill Willingham was hosting for this series. As I sat there and listened in, I became more intrigued and wanted to try it out. When I got home, I ordered the first few trades and eagerly waited for them to arrive. And when they did, I burned through them so quickly that I immediately ordered the rest. The Adversary arc was pure bliss; I didn't want it to end when it did. It then transitioned over to The Dark Ages, followed by a few stories thereafter. We're now at the point where I could care less with what's going on. The story does not pull me in like it used to and I had considered dropping it a dozen issues or so ago. But now that we're nearing the end (#150 will be the last issue), I may as well ride it out.

14254282092_d8cb472ef7_o.jpg
14254282102_13727230ca_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom