• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ComicsGAF, I've never read Fear Agent. I see there's a library edition on Amazon. Is it worth checking out?

Ha, I literally just bought all six trades off ebay, due this week. You should grab the library and we can be all cool and late to the party together.

Tynion is a young guy at the beginning of his career and it does show. He does really good work on the book, but so far he has yet to throw a real twist in there, to subvert my expectations. That said he really knows how to put a story together so that it feels solid and make the reader accept everything that happens. If it had been a lesser writer on Talon I would have called bullshit on a recent reveal, but Tynion made it feel like the most natural thing ever.

The writing is extremely solid, but after March left the book the art went downhill fast. Which is a damn shame.

Thanks for that reply man. I went ahead and ordered the trade. Worst comes to worst, it's only one volume gone wrong.

Eldren

Ha, I literally just bought all six trades off ebay, due this week. You should grab the library and we can be all cool and late to the party together.

Haha I think I will! I'll probably give it a while though. I think I'm going to stop buying trades for a few months, my backlog has just become too ridiculous. It's like I'm stockpiling for the apocalypse or something. I'm buying them far faster than I'm reading them and they're just building up and not being read. Once I've made a decent dent in my current backlog, I'll grab Fear Agent Library Edition Volume 1, which should (hopefully) be around the time the second volume comes out.

kmfdmpig

Has anyone read through Ennis' Battlefields? I've been on an Ennis kick due to the Fury series he did, and thought that Battlefields was quite good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Thanks for that reply man. I went ahead and ordered the trade. Worst comes to worst, it's going one volume gone wrong.

March is did the art for the entire first trade, so it'll be pretty as hell.

The next two issues are extra sized...

and extra priced.

Batman #24 - $6.99
Batman #25 - $4.99

Glad I dropped Batman at the beginning of the Zero Year arc. I don't care how good anyone says it is. I don't need another origin story. I'll probably pick it up again after the current arc is done.

Acid08

Banned
We're you planning on buying it?
Yeah, I've been buying Batman since the beginning of the Nu52.

It's just that the Multiple Warheads one shot comes out next week and it's $8.99. So that's almost $20 for two issues, at least there isn't much more I'm getting.

Owzers

i'm a little mixed on Superman Unchained, but issue 2 and 3 were better than #1. I get a little annoyed when the same angle is played in books, namely
Lane berating Superman for not doing more, saying he's a disappointment because he's not remaking the world on a larger scale. It's much of the same argument that gets used in Batman, why he doesn't kill ( though i agree with the characters annoyed at batman XP)

kswiston

I have finally started my journey into Chew. Thanks go to the Comic Book Club (which I will post in when I am done the first arc) and Acid08 who reminds me of its existence every month.

Yeah, I've been buying Batman since the beginning of the Nu52.

It's just that the Multiple Warheads one shot comes out next week and it's $8.99. So that's almost $20 for two issues, at least there isn't much more I'm getting.

Ow wow. I thought you were totally anti DC. Well it's Chew week for ya. I think they are releasing 1-20 in one book soon. Saw that on Laymans twitter. Probably get that if it turns out cheaper than just buying the next 3 volumes.

kmfdmpig

I haven't read it but he was in the first arc of Batman The Dark Knight.

Does anybody read that series?

I read the first few issues. It was absolutely terrible, and made me question why it existed alongside good Batman series. I've heard it's better now, but that wouldn't take much.

Eldren

Ezekiel Stane is such an awesome villain in Five Nightmares. Love him.

I'm starting Invincible Iron Man tomorrow (I finished Extremis today which I loved) and I'm super excited. I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I flicked through the first issue a while back and it has a god damn MODOK (actually it might have been MODOG...), so I can't wait to dive in.

Acid08

Banned
I have finally started my journey into Chew. Thanks go to the Comic Book Club (which I will post in when I am done the first arc) and Acid08 who reminds me of its existence every month.

:)

Ow wow. I thought you were totally anti DC. Well it's Chew week for ya. I think they are releasing 1-20 in one book soon. Saw that on Laymans twitter. Probably get that if it turns out cheaper than just buying the next 3 volumes.
I was way into the Nu52 when it started. But I soured on it and DC as a whole more and more, month after month. Batman is all I get now.

The Smorgasbord Edition is $100 I think. The Omnivore Editions(10 issues each) are $35 each. Trades will be waaaaaaay cheaper.

sol_bad

Can someone please explain to me what happened to Polaris between 2004 and now?
Should I be asking this?
I have almost every Uncanny X-Men issue between #444 and #544. As for X-Men/Legacy I have #157 to #208 and intend on collecting the rest up to #275. Should I read and find out for myself?

Also what happened to Banshee? I can't remember seeing him back in 2004 when I used to read X-Men? Was he around back then? When did he die?

Finally in Deadpoo #17, when did Wolverine
lose his healing powers
?
Is my mind really that bad? I can't remember this happening in the past few years?

Polaris became a star jammer after rise and fall of the shiar empire.

Currently she is in x-factor

Banshee is currently a horsemen of apocalypse in uncanny avengers

sol_bad

Polaris became a star jammer after rise and fall of the shiar empire.

Currently she is in x-factor

Banshee is currently a horsemen of apocalypse in uncanny avengers

ooohhh
So Polaris is still around, just in the only X book I don't buy. lol

And sorry I should have mentioned I am reading Uncanny Avengers. I should have been much clearer and asked how and when he previously had died. My bad.

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, just to clarify, my Loeb post and "diss" of Rich Rider was obvious sarcasm, glad to see a few of you guys got it. I will hate that old man with a passion until he finally just admits he's better off doing creator-owned stuff and leaves Marvel (and stops ruining their animation). I'm hoping Rich makes his reappearance at NYCC, I'd say the chances are 50/50 right now though.

I picked up a bunch of old Ellis Thunderbolts trades at the library, really digging them. I have totally fallen in love with Songbird, is she currently in a book somewhere or did she disappear like Danny Rand? If you ask me, she should be on Rulk's team even though it is a completely different one from the original TB.

:)

I was way into the Nu52 when it started. But I soured on it and DC as a whole more and more, month after month. Batman is all I get now.

How many did you start with haha? Have to say, I read a very small handful of superhero books, but they are almost all DC books, not much marvel up in here. Read Batman, Wonder Woman, Batwoman & Swamp Thing. Swamp thing is gone after the final rotworld trade arrives though, and Batwoman is on rocky ground with the creative change. I have ordered Talon to give a spin since I'm interested in Tynion after Snyder gives him his emphatic stamp of approval, and I'm thinking about trying Lemire's Green Arrow eventually. My girlfriend reads Batman & Robin and Nightwing on top of those but they really don't do much for me. Will probably get her the first volume of Harley to see if she digs it.

So not many, but the 4 I read, I absolutely love. Just read Wonder Woman volume 2 & 3 last night, and Azzarello's writing is something else on that book. Particularly the hell arc, there was literally something on every page I was stopping and examining or shouting through to my girlfriend to discuss.

Read volume 2 of B-Woman also, and I really dig that too. Most bat books I generally think to myself "Why can't all of this just be one book?" Why not have the one main bat book, and that's where you can read about Bruce, Dick, Tim, Damian, Bat girl. When a writer is on Batman, he has the keys to the whole car. I want any writer who goes on the main bat book to be able to play with any of the characters and do anything with them. Unfeasible I know, but at least when I read Batwoman, I don't think that at all. It really earns its own book, in the themes it explroes and the art, and tone, I never think it doesn't deserve to be told as it is.

I'll refrain from writing much about Batman and Swampy as it'll just be a Snyder praisefest. Anyway, guess I got onto htis because I was reading an interesting little news article by Dave Harper over at multiversity about villians month, Click, and while I understand and appreciate what he says, I'm not really sure where I stand. Even as an almost completely devoted indy book reader who can't stand stories that have no proper driving goal towards a finite resolution, there are still DC books I read and love. And if that's me, maybe they really are doing what people want *shrug*

ReiGun

doniewhalberg, you might be the only person I've heard praise the hell arc on Wonder Woman. I know I couldn't stand it. lol

doniewhalberg, you might be the only person I've heard praise the hell arc on Wonder Woman. I know I couldn't stand it. lol

haha for real? That's probably been the specific highlight of the three volumes I've read for me. Sometimes I'm glad I read by trade. If that;s how the reviews and general opinion went for that arc, I can't imagine that not colouring my opinion going in. As it is, just reading them blind and far out of sync with the monthlies, I really really dug that arc. Persephone showing up, a cameo of Cronus (I think), I've always enjoyed greek mythology, and I liked a lot of the references in there. I am referencing #7-10 btw, with 9-10 being the ones I reaaally dug. I think those issues are the first time Aphrodite shows up too? And I really enjoyed that they did with her portrayal ha.

That Dave Harper article is ass. Self proclaimed DC hater is dismayed that DC does well, shocker.

I have to say I couldn't find his article about how upset he was by the success of say, Walking Dead 100, and it's 12 variant covers that drove it to like 300k copies sold.

-Snip to be less douchey-

I'm totally on the "lolDC" train but I don't like a lot of the elitism of some indie comics peoples, if only 'cause it usually assumes that people are reading this shit because they can't not buy books with these characters, rather than them liking the stories.

That said, too many people actually do that and i don't get it. I dunno, I think the industry shouldn't have to rely on gimmicks like this

I'm totally on the "lolDC" train but I don't like a lot of the elitism of some indie comics peoples, if only 'cause it usually assumes that people are reading this shit because they can't not buy books with these characters, rather than them liking the stories.

That said, too many people actually do that and i don't get it. I dunno, I think the industry shouldn't have to rely on gimmicks like this
Yeah some of the indie guys have small penis syndrome. I would never read an Ann Noccenti Aquaman or a Joe Keatinge Vibe. But I havent read an indie comic as bad as Ann Noccenti book. Maybe I don't buy enough?

And I knew the premise of Hinterkind going in, it still shocked me. Hopefuly this Ian Eddington brah shows Bill Willingham how you use folk and fairy characters. We are in for quite a ride.

tim1138

Is it explained somewhere why there's a guy who works for Horizon Labs name Uatu? Last I remember that is the name of the Watcher. I'm reading the first Superior Spidey trade if that helps.

ReiGun

Is it explained somewhere why there's a guy who works for Horizon Labs name Uatu? Last I remember that is the name of the Watcher. I'm reading the first Superior Spidey trade if that helps.
His parents thought Uatu was a cool name.

Seriously, that's it.

Looking for some recommendations for something new to pickup and read.
To help this is what Im currently reading to gauge what style I like:

American Vampire
Batman
Hawkeye
Lazarus
Saga
Superman Unchained
The Wake
The Walking Dead
Trillium
I adore all of Brian K. Vaughan work, especially Y: The Last Man.

Tried the below but couldn't get into them:
X-Men [the new all female]
East of West
Daredevil
Infinity

I have just ordered the first volumes of the below after reading good things about them:
Chew
Scalped

Any help or pointers are most grateful, I dont mind mini series, or any ongoing comics, [but would like to know a good starting off point if they are someway through the series]

Cheers

kswiston

Cheers

- 100 Bullets (a long slog at 100 issues, but the first set of volumes were great)
- Top 10 (First volume is 12 issues. Basically a love letter to comics)
- Essex County Trilogy (By Jeff Lemire. One of the better "regular life" comics I have read)
- Gotham Central (One of the best Batman related series)

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

American Vampire
Batman
Hawkeye
Lazarus
Saga
Superman Unchained
The Wake
The Walking Dead
Trillium

East of West
Daredevil
Infinity

I have just ordered the first volumes of the below after reading good things about them:
Chew
Scalped

Any help or pointers are most grateful, I dont mind mini series, or any ongoing comics, [but would like to know a good starting off point if they are someway through the series]

Cheers

i just started locke & key, and i recommend it.

American Vampire
Batman
Hawkeye
Lazarus
Saga
Superman Unchained
The Wake
The Walking Dead
Trillium

East of West
Daredevil
Infinity

Chew
Scalped

Cheers
If you haven't read it the answer is always Hellboy. If you have read Hellboy try Sweet Tooth or Green Arrow starting at issue 17. Both are written by Lemire, and you seem to like Trillium.

Locke & Key (Near done, 6 volumes)
Fatale (ongoing)
Sweet Tooth (Done, 6 volumes)
The Unwritten (ongoing)
Unknown Soldier (Done, 4 volumes)
Morning Glories (ongoing)
Severed ( Scott Snyder mini series, done)
The Umbrella Academy (two minis)
If you haven't read it the answer is always Hellboy. If you have read Hellboy try Sweet Tooth or Green Arrow starting at issue 17. Both are written by Lemire, and you seem to like Trillium.

Y'know, hellboy/BPRD is my favourite favourite franchise, above the others I mentioned. But I actually don't often suggest it, just because there is SO much. It's a difficult recommendation to make people. It's amazing, but intimidating. I would always mention how freaking much there is haha

Read

main.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom