• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the hell is Marvel going to fix their brokeass Unlimited Android app? When i'm logged in it doesn't acknowledge i'm logged in. Who can I tweet at for this garbage?

KePoW

Banned
When the hell is Marvel going to fix their brokeass Unlimited Android app? When i'm logged in it doesn't acknowledge i'm logged in. Who can I tweet at for this garbage?

That is the worst app ever, at least for the reading/viewing.

Which is a shame because Unlimited is a good value.

sol_bad

Listy list list list list.

Avengers Arena #16
Captain America #12
Deadpool #18
Infinity #4 (of 6)
Thor God Of Thunder #14
X-Men #6
Batman #24
Forever Evil Arkham War #1 (of 6)
Nightwing #24
Three #1
Star Wars #10

Sblargh

Banned
Now that my 5 year long relationship has crashed and burned in a horrible and traumatic way sending me back into being the weird person who reads comic books at his parents house at the age of 27 (because, incidentally, I lived at her place), I guess I'll be coming back to this thread.

Boy, is Infinity awesome or what?

Nudull

Banned
10/9 list:
Lazarus, vol. 1
Molly Danger, Book 1
---
Adventure Time Candy Capers #4
Afterlife With Archie #1
Astonishing X-Men #68
Avengers A.I. #4
Batgirl #24
Creepy Comics #14
Fearless Defenders #10
Ghostbusters #8
Infinity #4
Kevin Keller #11
Red Sonja #4
Rocket Girl #1
Spongebob Comics #25
X-Men #6

My wallet had a nice break while it lasted.

Thanks for all the recommendations, keep them coming!
Forgot to say I have tried [twice] Locke & Key but couldn't get into it.

What is Chew like? worrh giving it a go?

rCIZZLE

What is Chew like? worrh giving it a go?

One of the few "humor" comic books that consistently nails it. Plus the concept and ongoing story are both interesting. The art is great and has a ton of pop culture references that often tie in with what's happening in the story. Definitely worth checking out the first couple trades at least.

Hey guys, anyone knows the answer to thiiis: When you gift a comic to someone on comixology, does it send them a redeemable code, or is it tied explicitly to their comixology account from the moment I purchase it for them, and will just appear in their "my comics" area?

Lists!

Batgirl #24
Batman #24
Constantine #7
Forever Evil Arkham War #1
Green Lantern Corps #24
Nightwing #24
Superboy #24
Superman Wonder Woman #1
Trinity Of Sin The Phantom Stranger #12
Worlds' Finest #16

One of the few "humor" comic books that consistently nails it. Plus the concept and ongoing story are both interesting. The art is great and has a ton of pop culture references that often tie in with what's happening in the story. Definitely worth checking out the first couple trades at least.

Cheers, have ordered the first trade.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
List time!

Avengers Arena #16
Astro City #5
Superior Spider-Man #19

X-Men #6
Chew #37
Superior Spider-Man Team Up #4
Deadpool #18
Batman #24
Federal Bureau of Physics #4
The Manhattan Projects #15
Nowhere Men #6
Fantastic Four #13

Avengers Arena is still great. Love that book. Deadpool's been knocking it out of the park on the latest arc too, great art and a pretty engaging storyline. I was close to dropping it but will be sticking around now. Good week all round really.

List time!

Avengers Arena #16
Astro City #5
Superior Spider-Man #19

X-Men #6
Chew #37
Superior Spider-Man Team Up #4
Deadpool #18
Batman #24
Federal Bureau of Physics #4
The Manhattan Projects #15
Nowhere Men #6
Fantastic Four #13

Avengers Arena is still great. Love that book. Deadpool's been knocking it out of the park on the latest arc too, great art and a pretty engaging storyline. I was close to dropping it but will be sticking around now. Good week all round really.

Superior #19 is next week mang.

tim1138

Hey guys, anyone knows the answer to thiiis: When you gift a comic to someone on comixology, does it send them a redeemable code, or is it tied explicitly to their comixology account from the moment I purchase it for them, and will just appear in their "my comics" area?

Sends a code to whatever email address you provide for them.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Superior #19 is next week mang.

Dang. was going off the pull list section on Comixology, guess the dates aren't always reliable. Still a good week though.

Went on holiday recently and took all of Locke & Key (so far) with me, and it's great. Really enjoyed it. Is there really just one issue left now?

Owzers

No ipad mini comic readers here? Good/bad/birds?

I'm a bit surprised but i'm not liking Wood's X-Men 2.5 issues in, there's an abundance of talking heads combined with a plot that doesn't seem that interesting.
Sublime and Arkea, with surprisingly little character work, especially for Jubilee who i thought was supposed to be the books' focus

Owzers

Just went through the gamut of readers. Ended up with "ComicBook" but it has its caveats. Free.

I meant people who read on ipad mini :) Do you like your ipad mini for comics? Is it too small for single page viewing? 7'' was too small for me, but 7.9'' i assume is twice as large.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I meant people who read on ipad mini :) Do you like your ipad mini for comics? Is it too small for single page viewing? 7'' was too small for me, but 7.9'' i assume is twice as large.

I'm on an ipad mini. I like it well enough, it's just baaarely too small for single page viewing. :( Sometimes it's very small, sometimes I don't notice. But it is workable.

Ephidel

Lists :)

7Lbp6s4.png
Archer & Armstrong #14
Batman Lil Gotham #7
Coffin Hill #1
Eternal Warrior #2
FBP #4
Infinity #4
Multiple Warheads Down Fall
Rocket Girl #1
Think Tank #10
Three #1
Ultimate Comics X-Men #32
X-Men #6
2000AD Prog.1853

Some (very) short thoughts on the comics I picked up last week:
  • All-New X-Men #17
    Nice to see more of
    the future
    , but at the same time nothing happened.
  • He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #6
    Enjoyable issue, great art, and I went 'aww' at one of the panels near the end. Let down a little bit by the
    'For some reason I'm not going to kill you BUT HERE IS MY EVIL PLAN'
    that seemed to go on forever.
  • Hinterkind #1
    A nice idea with some great art, but I'm not entirely sure about the execution. Definitely going to give it a chance though.
  • Mara #6
    Well that was... sentimental. I think I prefered it when
    I thought she'd destroyed us all.
  • Savage Wolverine #9
    For some reason I expected this this to have a plot in addition to the Jock artwork. I don't think it really did, and I don't think I'll keep reading.
  • Suicide Risk #6
    A very solid issue, the Nightmare Scenario have delightfully awful names, and I'm back on board. The
    'Oh, thank GOD'
    moment at the end made me laugh too.
  • The Witching Hour
    A very mixed bag, but as I'd mentally filed it as 'the halloween anthology' I guess I was expecting more creepiness.
    Legs, at least, was excellently creepy. Rise was great too, and very atmospheric. Overall, my favourites were probably Legs and Mars to Stay, but I enjoyed Birdie, Rise, and Little Witch as well. I'm not really sure how I felt about 'This Witch's Work' and 'Fellow Travellers' though, and Dead Boy Detectives was just kind of there.
(I also picked up Earth 2 and Uber, but I didn't get around to reading those yet)

Owzers

I'm on an ipad mini. I like it well enough, it's just baaarely too small for single page viewing. :( Sometimes it's very small, sometimes I don't notice. But it is workable.

I'm hoping a retina display version will make up the difference. Terrible complaint but i'm finding my ipad 3 to be too heavy to fully enjoy reading comics on Xp.

IDK what i've got coming out this week cuz i haven't been to the shop in forever, but I do know that my copy of Rocket Girl #1 should be arriving sometime soon. I hope it's good. Halloween Eve was mediocrity to the extreme in terms of writing, but Reeder's art was solid. I know RG will at least be good on that front.

dan2026

I love comic books. Such a perfect goddamn medium.
A visual medium unconstrained by budget and only limited by the imagination.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Question: Does DC have the copyright & trademark to the name Shazam? I ask because I'm curious on how the music service is capable of sharing the name.

Acid08

Banned
Lists that use up almost $20 between two books:

DC:
Batman #24

Image:
Chew #37
Manhattan Projects #15
Multiple Warheads Down Fall

Gintamen

Avengers Endless Wartime

Not really a Avengers reader, but this one at least delivered a couple good and witty dialogues.

Avengers Endless Wartime

Not really a Avengers reader, but this one at least delivered a couple good and witty dialogues.

Read it a few days ago. Endless Wartime? More like Endlessly Okay. Not a patch on Ellis' Secret Avengers stories from a few years ago. The concessions to non-fans were really obvious too (no Wolverine costume? lolokay). Hawkguy got absolutely butchered.

I'm hoping the next one in this series will be better, but hey it's Mark Waid writing Spider-Man so I think we're good on that one.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Question: Does DC have the copyright & trademark to the name Shazam? I ask because I'm curious on how the music service is capable of sharing the name.

From what I see, they both have trademarks just in different areas, which is a common occurrence. DC has rights to the name when it comes to fictional characters, comics, other media, etc. The music service has it trademarked for software, applications, etc. In fact, DC's abandoned a bunch of their Shazam trademarks in regards to merchandizing.

Basically, it's a non-issue.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
From what I see, they both have trademarks just in different areas, which is a common occurrence. DC has rights to the name when it comes to fictional characters, comics, other media, etc. The music service has it trademarked for software, applications, etc. In fact, DC's abandoned a bunch of their Shazam trademarks in regards to merchandizing.

Basically, it's a non-issue.

I'm not sure how common it is for this domain of entertainment. I don't see too many Captain Americas, Hellboys, Batmans, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles running around. The closest thing I can think of that had legal problems was Hulk vs. Hulk Hogan scenario. DC abandoning it is odd since Captain Marvel has been abandoned in favor of Shazam. Disappointing in any case since I'm a Shazam and Black Adam fan, so I would hope DC cared a bit more about the characters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not sure how common it is for this domain of entertainment. I don't see too many Captain Americas, Hellboys, Batmans, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles running around. The closest thing I can think of that had legal problems was Hulk vs. Hulk Hogan scenario. DC abandoning it is odd since Captain Marvel has been abandoned in favor of Shazam. Disappointing in any case since I'm a Shazam and Black Adam fan, so I would hope DC cared a bit more about the characters.

I don't see an issue. There's Shazam the character/franchise, and Shazam the music software. There's extremely little overlap or opportunity for confusion. Hulk vs Hulk Hogan is waaay closer, since they're both entertainment/media characters. Unless either side tries to corner the market on the name entirely, they should be fine.

As a layperson, it's a little odd that they abandoned some trademarks in merchandizing fields, but there's also nothing precluding them from reregistering if they decide to push the franchise and want that additional legal protection. Maybe there's some other reason for that, or it just hasn't been in an issue. I don't know.

KePoW

Banned
It could be phenomenal.... if it just worked. Doesn't have to have a bunch of bells and whistles, just need to be functional.

Yeah I'm not looking for bells & whistles at all. But when I tried it a couple weeks ago, it couldn't even display a normal comic page to the full screen of your device. I was like what the heck.

Comixology's app is great (only thing it needs is Landscape fit-to-width and it'd be perfect)

Marvel and DC trade departments need to combine, and make the most expensive collections of all-time that come out 2 years after the original publication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom