• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday list.

Astro City #5
Batgirl #24
Batman #24
Coffin Hill #1
Forever Evil Arkham War #1
FBP #4
Green Lantern Corps #24
Suicide Squad #24
Superman Wonder Woman #1

The List Among Us:

Marvel:
Avengers Arena #16
Captain America #12
Infinity #4 of 6
X-Men #6 (Battle of the Atom 7 of 10)

DC:
Batman #24

Others:
Afterlife with Archie #1 (Archie)
Deathmatch #10 (Boom)
Gail Simone's Red Sonja #4 (Dynamite)
Mars Attacks Judge Dredd #2 of 4 (IDW)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21 (IDW)
Manhattan Projects #15 (Image)
Three #1 (Image)
The Walking Dead #115 (Image, All Out War 1 of 12)

This week is bloody awesome.

Batgirl #24
Batman #24
Constantine #7, $2.99
Green Lantern Corps #24
Katana #8 (WHY?)
Nightwing #24
Suicide Squad #24
Superboy #24
Superman Wonder Woman #1
Trinity Of Sin The Phantom Stranger #12 (Maybe? Is it that tie-in stuff?)
Worlds' Finest #16

Red Sonja #4

And, uh... Walking Dead #115 supposed to be like another new big deal? Cause there are 14 covers. o_O

chibiboy

Neo Member
Im really glad you're into five ghost. I work with frank and the colorist so i was waiting for someone on here to pick it up.

Five Ghosts is great. I like to compare it to a modern day Indiana Jones with a pulp vibe. So awesome you work with Frank! I was able to meet him at SDCC this year, very nice guy and he really cares about the fans. I also think Chris is an artist people need to watch out for. I'd definitely recommend it. It was originally going to be a mini, but will be on-going.

Issue #6 comes out Oct 30th.

five-ghosts06.jpg

Acid08

Banned
I'm totally on the "lolDC" train but I don't like a lot of the elitism of some indie comics peoples, if only 'cause it usually assumes that people are reading this shit because they can't not buy books with these characters, rather than them liking the stories.

That said, too many people actually do that and i don't get it. I dunno, I think the industry shouldn't have to rely on gimmicks like this
I think it's really common for comic fans to buy for characters instead of quality.

Indie comics are just way more interesting right now. Big Two comics are probably mostly fine but the stories always feel like they're either same old same old (another dead Robin, great) or are only happening in service of the next big event.

Of course it's possible for quality books to push through the Big Two. Batman, Daredevil, and Hawkeye prove that. But, of those books, it's really only Hawkeye that feels like it's doing something fresh and new. Batman and DD succeed on the strength of their writing and art but are the stories really that fresh? I like Superior Spider-Man more than either of those books because, even if the writing isn't technically as strong, the idea is fresh and well executed. There's a mystery and tension surrounding the character that was absent through a lot of Slott's ASM run. It's nice to have something new for the time being. That's why I loved Dick as Batman. But the status quo is always brought back in the end. So it goes for corporate comics, again and again.

Creator owned books are undeniably the most interesting books coming out right now. Creators are taking chances and forming their own worlds, there's nothing better than that. Of course they all aren't good but the best indies shit on the best the Big Two has to offer month after month. There needs to be more indie championing and less Big Two apologists.

Slightly off topic, but since it seems a few of you guys read Locke & Key, was wondering if any of you had read Hill's NOS4A2, or his previous books? Reading NOS4A2 right now, kind of interested in what peeps think of it compared to horns.

Looking for some recommendations for something new to pickup and read.

Any help or pointers are most grateful, I dont mind mini series, or any ongoing comics, [but would like to know a good starting off point if they are someway through the series]

On Wednesday the first issue of the new Shaolin Cowboy mini series will be released by Dark Horse. I haven't read the previous volume(s), but from what I've seen and heard, this book has the potential to be a quite enjoyable read with awesome, highly detailed art. You can find a preview of the first issue here

My favourite current mini series are Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard vol 2, Six Gun Gorilla, and Wild Blue Yonder. But each is at least half way through its run. I find Mouse Guard to be jaw-dropping, but if I had to rec any of the three, it would be Six-Gun Gorilla. This is mini-series-of-the-year business right here.

For upcoming series to look out for, I would most highly suggest checking out Black Science, Velvet, and Pretty Deadly- in that order. And if- let's be real- WHEN you enjoy Scalped, be sure to look out for the writer Jason Aaron's upcoming series, Southern Bastards.

Is "enjoy" the right word for Scalped? Awake righteously-shaken-by?

There needs to be more indie championing and less Big Two apologists.

Championing is great. But as that shit article shows, there is often more tearing down of Big Two comics, than there is of trying to "push the cream to the top". It's almost as if these people are so angry that their niche of the niche is a niche that they want to lash out at people,

"You buy Batman and Spiderman but not Random-Adjective-Proper-Noun??? You are why comics are terrible!!!"

I swear to God I hate people like this more than any other. They don't understand they are allowed to hate every God damn thing they want. But why they feel the only way they can enjoy their hobby is by shitting on others, is beyond me.

Guess what, Random Internet Guy who is angry at the success of covers, that shit sells because the market exists for it. - Free enterprise; How does it work? - You want to change things? Then continue to champion amazing series. Get them to do 14 variant covers. Whatever positive buzz it takes. But you aren't going to convince people by telling them how terrible of human beings they are. They are just going to resent you.

And just for that guy, I'm going to find an indie book to cancel, just out of spite

Acid08

Banned
Championing is great. But as that shit article shows, there is often more tearing down of Big Two comics, than there is of trying to "push the cream to the top". It's almost as if these people are so angry that their niche of the niche is a niche that they want to lash out at people,

"You buy Batman and Spiderman but not Random-Adjective-Proper-Noun??? You are why comics are terrible!!!"

I swear to God I hate people like this more than any other. They don't understand they are allowed to hate every God damn thing they want. But why they feel the only way they can enjoy their hobby is by shitting on others, is beyond me.

Guess what, Random Internet Guy who is angry at the success of covers, that shit sells because the market exists for it. - Free enterprise; How does it work? - You want to change things? Then continue to champion amazing series. Get them to do 14 variant covers. Whatever positive buzz it takes. But you aren't going to convince people by telling them how terrible of human beings they are. They are just going to resent you.

And just for that guy, I'm going to find an indie book to cancel, just out of spite
Are you talking about that Dave Harper article on the last page? Because I don't think indies were mentioned once in there.

Are you talking about that Dave Harper article on the last page? Because I don't think indies were mentioned once in there.

Yeah. But if you read the comments he is a self avowed indie hipster darling - edit - and he is angry that bullshit marketing covers that comic fans love wins the day.

"I don't read DC...

... except for Vertigo, of course."

I'm kidding about canceling a book.

or am I?
- edit -
I am. My indie list is small but I enjoy it

I just don't get it when people bemoan stupid
awesome
shit being successful. They know. We all know. That's how the world works.

Acid08

Banned
I saw a few of those 3D covers and thought they all looked kinda bad. Like I wasn't really getting much of a 3D effect.

Also the shop I was at took all their 3D cover books and was selling them for $10 each. I laughed out loud when I saw that shit.

Whoever is under the hood in Forever Evil is the real villain. Its typical Johns.

You are inside of his head, brah. You could replace him. No one would ever know. Maybe that is your path to comic stardom?

I saw a few of those 3D covers and thought they all looked kinda bad. Like I wasn't really getting much of a 3D effect.

Also the shop I was at took all their 3D cover books and was selling them for $10 each. I laughed out loud when I saw that shit.

Sounds like you had a bad shop. Unless they covered their pull lists first and had leftovers.

Obviously the 3D thing is going to be subjective. I personally thought about 2/3rd of them were pretty awesome. But I'm their target demographic.

frye

Stoked for Pretty Deadly this month. Prove to me you can write a page turner, DeConnick.

Have you read the Osborn mini DeConnick and Rios did a few years ago? It's pretty great, much stronger than a lot of her other Marvel stuff, and I say that as someone who has generally enjoyed those comics.

Acid08

Banned
Have you read the Osborn mini DeConnick and Rios did a few years ago? It's pretty great, much stronger than a lot of her other Marvel stuff, and I say that as someone who has generally enjoyed those comics.
Haven't read that but it's good to know she has good stuff. There were flashes of good stuff in Captain Marvel but I've found it mostly mediocre. Like every single page needs to have some mention of being a pilot. I know that's her thing but does it really need to be brought up at every opportunity?

tm24

Random Adjective Proper Noun sounds like either a new hickman book or the name of new favorite Indie band.

I broadly agree with this. You want me to read a particular title? Tell me why it's good and why it deserves my money. You don't have to tear down my buying habits at the same time, this is the comics OT not PoliGAT. All the Marvel/DC books I buy, I buy out of genuine enjoyment. Needing everything to re-invent the wheel, along with chasing mainstream press, is why we're stuck in this cycle of events right now.

Being salty at the Diamond chartz is deeply silly as they don't look at the big picture. The "sequential art" business is dominated in the bookstores by manga and 80s Batman stories. Getting mad at Big Two books selling more in the direct market is like going into a cheese shop and being mad at people for buying cheese.

Personally, I'm willing to give almost anything three issues or the first trade, whatever's easier at the time. I love the stuff Image is doing with their marketing, the free first issues and selling DRM-free digital is the business.

Also, I have no idea why DC did so well with the 3D covers. It was a silly gimmick and it made the books more expensive. Are there really that many speculators still hovering around comics?

Finally finished the most recent issue of Dark Horse Presents (#28). I started the issue a couple weeks ago but the second story is a Neal Adams abomination that I struggled to push myself through and stalled my progress. And that's the problem with anthologies. No matter how good the majority, you are gonna step into some stinkers. The Neal Adams' story stunk bad enough for two, but luckily the rest was tight. Like, really good stuff. And in the end it's well worth slogging through a couple less-than-good stories to get at all the many jewels buried in this series. (Of course, if you have more sense than me, you can just skip to the next story when you catch on that something sucks)

Anyway, from this particular issue I most enjoyed the Richard Corben adaptation of Poe's The Assignation pt 1, Alabaster Boxcar Tales part 9 by Kiernan/Lieber, Trekker, Nosferatu Wars part 3, and the third part of Juice Squeezers. There's something to that Juice Squeezers story. It should be optioned.

It really is a delight the variety of tales offered in this series.

Listpocalypse NOW

Star Wars #10
Astro City #5
Batgirl #24
Coffin Hill #1
Chew #37
Rocket Girl #1
Walking Dead #115
Fearless Defenders #10
Infinity #4
X-Men #6

Eldren

Slightly off topic, but since it seems a few of you guys read Locke & Key, was wondering if any of you had read Hill's NOS4A2, or his previous books? Reading NOS4A2 right now, kind of interested in what peeps think of it compared to horns.

I've got volumes 1-5 of Locke & Key on my shelf unread (waiting for 6 to read them all at once) but I really really liked Horns. I've not read NOS4R2 yet but it has illustrations by Gabriel Rodriguez and the ones that I've seen are great.

Cool, let us know what you think!

Will do! I was hoping to start it earlier today but I got sidetracked so I'll be cracking it open tonight. I'm still hoping there'll be another omnibus or two collecting the rest of the issues but I'm beginning to doubt it'll happen, which is a shame.

Ephidel

Also, I have no idea why DC did so well with the 3D covers. It was a silly gimmick and it made the books more expensive. Are there really that many speculators still hovering around comics?
There are definitely some. My LCS had to drag out their 'one copy of each new release per customer' signage during 3D month because speculators showed up and tried to strip their shelves of some titles.
It's a policy that they technically have in place at all times, but I think it's only ever enforced in situations like this when people try to take advantage.
When I commented on the signs reappearing one of them point blank told me "We hate speculators", saying they preferred selling to people who actually read the books and would rather have titles in stock for real customers.

And a slightly off topic note of my own that might be of interest to UK folks: Some of the Poundlands seem to have the US hardcover of Horns in stock right now (for £1, obviously), so if you don't normally look in them and you're interested it might be worth a look. I only picked it up this week though, and haven't actually started it yet.

Owzers

I primarily use my ipad 3 for comics and gaming, is it a good idea to sell it on ebay now and upgrade to a 5/mini 2? How are the mini's as a comic reader?

Batgirl #24
Batman #24
Batman Li'l Gotham #7
Green Lantern Corps #24
Nightwing #24
Suicide Squad #24
Superman Wonder Woman #1
Worlds' Finest #16

Red Sonja #4

Infinity #4
X-Men #6

yep

I've got volumes 1-5 of Locke & Key on my shelf unread (waiting for 6 to read them all at once) but I really really liked Horns. I've not read NOS4R2 yet but it has illustrations by Gabriel Rodriguez and the ones that I've seen are great.

Haha, well I won't say anything about it, come back to me once you've read it though and we'll chat. Horns though, I absolutely love. I know it sounds so cheesy but there are very few books I've genuinely been emotionally touched as I was with Horns and especially at the end, I felt like I'd had the shit kicked out of me. The book pulls no punches and real does follow through what it sets up to a true conclusion, even when it's extremely hard to accept the way a story (and life) goes sometimes.

And a slightly off topic note of my own that might be of interest to UK folks: Some of the Poundlands seem to have the US hardcover of Horns in stock right now (for £1, obviously), so if you don't normally look in them and you're interested it might be worth a look. I only picked it up this week though, and haven't actually started it yet.

Oh wow that is incredible haha! Please come back and share your thoughts on it when you are done. NOS4A/R2 is a very different beast to Horns though, but I hesitate to say more, I don't want to colour you guys' opinions, but I do have a very good grip on what I think of it with a quarter of the book still to go. Quite excited for the Wraith mini coming out at IDW, although I had no idea until the other day that it wouldn't be GabeRod drawing :(

kswiston

List time

- Batman #24 (Yay for double-sized! Boo for $7 books)
- Forever Evil: Arkham War #1 (maybe)
- Manhattan Projects #15
- Avengers Arena #16
- Captain America #12
- Infinity #4
- Thor: God of Thunder #14
- X-Men #6

Pretty good week for me.

Eldren

Haha, well I won't say anything about it, come back to me once you've read it though and we'll chat. Horns though, I absolutely love. I know it sounds so cheesy but there are very few books I've genuinely been emotionally touched as I was with Horns and especially at the end, I felt like I'd had the shit kicked out of me. The book pulls no punches and real does follow through what it sets up to a true conclusion, even when it's extremely hard to accept the way a story (and life) goes sometimes.

Ha, I've actually been quite lucky, I've not had anything related to Locke & Key spoiled for me at all. (I've probably jinxed it now though.) The books are such great quality as well which is nice. Urgh I just can't wait to get stuck into them, they look so good.

Yeah I absolutely loved Horns too. Such a well told story. There was some great imagery, and I loved the
recurring Rolling Stones references. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find you get what you need."
So good.

If anyone here is reading Locke & Key, I highly recommend checking out Horns, it's brilliant.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm fucking puzzled by that latest Rich piece, which sounds like a bit of non-news, but the last time he did something like that there was some kind of cypher and he broke the Angela in AoU story. Please help.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm fucking puzzled by that latest Rich piece, which sounds like a bit of non-news, but the last time he did something like that there was some kind of cypher and he broke the Angela in AoU story. Please help.

I think he's just drunk or something.

That or he's saying Nightwing is going to take over as Batman again soon, hence the mirror reference.

D_N_G

Just got back from Dallas Comic Con fan Days with a few Neal Adams prints + sigs. This man is my hero, absolutely love his 70s Batman, so glad to have met him in person.

Top rated comics reads of the week for last week: Trillium 3, Lazarus 4, Todd the Ugliest Kid 6, Batman Black&White 2

List for the new week, trying out lots of new titles this 7 day cycle (added few links below):

Afterlife with Archie #1 Francavilla cover B
Archer and Armstrong #14
Batman #24
Chew #37
Coffin Hill #1
Creepy # 14
Cryptozoic Man #1 Dynamite
Deadpool #18
Death Sentence #1 Titan comics
Eternal Warrior #2
FBP/Collider #4
Ghosted #4
Infinity #4
Manhattan Projects # 15
Memory Collectors #1 IDW
Rocket Girl #1 Image
Three #1 Image
Walking Dead #115
Walking Dead Tyreese Special

Also, good lord at Walking Dead milking the market again. 14 covers not including convention exclusives. Just not going to give in to OCD and spend the cash this time. Bastards.

ElNarez

Banned
Man I thought I could wait until tomorrow but you need some LIST SCIENCE dropped on y'all here's what a good list looks like:

Astro City #5
Batman #24
Coffin Hill #1 (spooky comix rule)
Forever Evil: Arkham War #1 (Tomasi Still Rules)
FBP #4
Suicide Squad #24 (Kindt's Villains' Month issues were mad decent let's see if there can be an actual series going from there)
Superman/Wonder Woman #1 (So uh, in what world does a Soule book with Daniel on interiors sound like a bad value proposition? Seriously, those guys are good)

Manhattan Projects #15
Three #1 (Oh hell yeah I'll ride the Kieron Gillen hype train, I'm fucking driving it, toot toot motherfuckers it's Marxist 300 toot toot)

Captain America #12
Deadpool #18
Infinity #4
Thor God Of Thunder #14
Uncanny X-Force #12 (I still genuinely want to see where it's going, even though it really feels like season 2 Twin Peaks)
X-Men #6

Looking for some recommendations for something new to pickup and read.
To help this is what Im currently reading to gauge what style I like:

American Vampire
Batman
Hawkeye
Lazarus
Saga
Superman Unchained
The Wake
The Walking Dead
Trillium
I adore all of Brian K. Vaughan work, especially Y: The Last Man.

Tried the below but couldn't get into them:
X-Men [the new all female]
East of West
Daredevil
Infinity

I have just ordered the first volumes of the below after reading good things about them:
Chew
Scalped

Any help or pointers are most grateful, I dont mind mini series, or any ongoing comics, [but would like to know a good starting off point if they are someway through the series]

Cheers

Federal Bureau of Physics ! Everyone should check it out

Isak_Borg

Five Ghosts is great. I like to compare it to a modern day Indiana Jones with a pulp vibe. So awesome you work with Frank! I was able to meet him at SDCC this year, very nice guy and he really cares about the fans. I also think Chris is an artist people need to watch out for. I'd definitely recommend it. It was originally going to be a mini, but will be on-going.

Issue #6 comes out Oct 30th.

five-ghosts06.jpg

He also has a Dark Horse book coming out soon.

Bii

My 10/9/13 List:

Batman #24

Shaolin Cowboy #1
Manhattan Projects #15
Three #1

Infinity #4
X-Men #6 (Battle of the Atom Part 7)

Light week for me. I'm dropping FBP. The first three issues were okay; nothing spectacular. It feels like I'm just waiting for something to happen and the build-up is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom