• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

To me, the answer is simple. Release these hardcovers to your hearts content, but a couple months later, release a softcover collection. Charge $15 for it. For those non hardcore collectors who just want to read a good comic, this would be a boon, and I believe they’d sell well without hugely cannibalizing the hardcover audience, and help readers like me catch up on the book instead of just continuing to ignore it every month.

This makes far too much sense for either Marvel or DC to bother attempting it.

That was an interesting read. I actually have the first Thor: God Of Thunder trade in paperback but I guess that's because here in the UK it's published by Panini Press.

Really though, the fact that I bought both East Of West and Five Ghosts for just £10 within a month of the end of their respective story arcs, but I'll have to wait until March to spend £16 on the third Flash hardcover (collecting a story arc which ended, what, 4 or 5 months ago), with a paperback probably not until next Christmas or something, is just utterly ridiculous.

List

Multiple Warheads Down Fall one-shot (Image) No-brainier pick of the week.
Afterlife with Archie #1 (Archie Comics) I just.. I've got to see this.
Scratch 9 #2 (Hermes Press) because cats.
Shaolin Cowboy #1 (Dark Horse) because chainsaws.
Red Sonja #4 (Dynamite) because chainmail
Watson and Holmes #4 (New Paradigm Studios) just because.

I was tempted by the Walking Dead #1 reprint and by the Tyreese special. But I'm hopeful they will ultimately collect the Tyreese special with the other character backstory issues and release it in trade.

Wonder how that Marvel's X-Men Storm book would be. Seems to be collecting work Warren Ellis did on the character in '96.

Vibranium

Banned
Read it a few days ago. Endless Wartime? More like Endlessly Okay. Not a patch on Ellis' Secret Avengers stories from a few years ago. The concessions to non-fans were really obvious too (no Wolverine costume? lolokay). Hawkguy got absolutely butchered.

I'm hoping the next one in this series will be better, but hey it's Mark Waid writing Spider-Man so I think we're good on that one.

Really? I am insta-buying the next Marvel graphic novel since this apparently true, when Slott finally leaves Waid needs to put on Spidey. It's such a no-brainer but I think Marvel would be worried since he hates editorial crap.

Messi

Marvel and DC trade departments need to combine, and make the most expensive collections of all-time that come out 2 years after the original publication

Image could teach them a thing or two in this regard. I love their paperbacks.

Now please give me oversized saga.

Edit: paperback of Batman: death of the family does not come out until mid may next year. So I guess I am never catching up on Batman then :(.

Nudull

Banned
Wonder how that Marvel's X-Men Storm book would be. Seems to be collecting work Warren Ellis did on the character in '96.

I was curious about it too when I saw the listing. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews, but one I did find mentioned how padded and pointless it apparently was, so I'm a bit cautious. Also, I approve of your new avy. :3

I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure I recall Ellis describing it years ago as some of his least favorite work at mid-90's Marvel, along with the What If Legion Had Killed Magneto? issue. Said it was hacked to pieces by editorial or something along those lines.

I was pretty excited for that Avengers book but I don't think I've read anything new of his in a long time so I chickened out.

I have those in the room somewhere. I don't remember any of it though. Now I kind of want to go dig it out..

ABOUT. F*CKING. TIME. :D

NYCC: Dark Horse and Dynamite announce 'Conan/Red Sonja' crossover by Wood and Simone (CBR)

CBR: How much does the crossover play off of what you've already established in terms of story and character with your individual books?

Simone: We both agreed right away that we want the story to matter, to count. This doesn't happen on Bizarro Earth or in the Negative Zone. This is the same Sonja I am writing for Dynamite, and the same Conan Brian is writing for Dark Horse.

So, this Sonja is a bit bawdier, a bit drunker, a bit younger and a lot more hot-blooded. She has more of a contrast between her and Conan. And this story will be in continuity for both characters, so you can expect there to be consequences.

[...]

CBR: In terms of tone, how are you hoping to merge and mesh the overall attitude the books have?

Wood: Well, this run on Conan I'm doing now is pretty specific -- it's set at a young point in Conan's life and is all about this love story, this intense relationship he had with the pirate queen Belit. The tone and vibe that fits that story doesn't necessary fit elsewhere in Conan's life, so for this crossover I'm doing things a little different. Readers will be able to get a look at how I'd write an older, more experienced Conan, much more of a battlefield veteran. It's a lot of fun!

Simone: Well, there's a shared setting, and a shared mythology to some extent. I don't see it as more complex than meshing the tone of Batman with Wonder Woman. They are two very different characters who have a great deal in common.

Very early and very little details, but ABOUT. F*CKING. TIME. :D

Messi

I am sure this is a stupid question. But amazing spiderman ran for a looooong time. Am I right in assuming Marvel will go back to that book sometime soon? Used to love the amazing spiderman covers.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey guys, I got a question:

I'm going to comic-con this Friday and I've decided I want to bring along a sketchpad and maybe get a commission or two. I've never done either before due to money constraints and Idon'tknowwhy but I wanted to know about sketch and commission etiquette.

For sketches, is it okay to just come up to the creator/artist, chat with them, and ask for a sketch in the book? Is that always free or what?

For commissions, would it be better to ask for something specific, a theme, or just say "do whatever the shit you want, you rule, brah!"? Also, do I need to bring anything like paper/pencils/sharpies, or do the artists generally have that on-hand?

Any tips/stories/quick-guidances you could share would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure this is a stupid question. But amazing spiderman ran for a looooong time. Am I right in assuming Marvel will go back to that book sometime soon? Used to love the amazing spiderman covers.

Nope. Superior Spider-Man is permanent now, so you better get used to it.

It'll hopefully be back by the time ASM2 releases in theaters.

Drayco21

It's almost guaranteed to relaunch in a few months to a year when the rest of the Marvel Universe gets tired of SpOck in Superior.

FoneBone

There are a set of ASM 700.X issues coming out in December, though those aren't in current continuity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Eventually, whenever Slott finishes up what he's doing now (which is still pretty fun and enjoyable). Odds are they'll make an announcement at NYComicCon about the end of Superior and return of Amazing, given the teasers Marvel has put out.

There are a set of ASM 700.X issues coming out in December, though those aren't in current continuity.

I think they are and they just happened in the past, before the events of 700.

I'm going to comic-con this Friday and I've decided I want to bring along a sketchpad and maybe get a commission or two. I've never done either before due to money constraints and Idon'tknowwhy but I wanted to know about sketch and commission etiquette.

For sketches, is it okay to just come up to the creator/artist, chat with them, and ask for a sketch in the book? Is that always free or what?

For commissions, would it be better to ask for something specific, a theme, or just say "do whatever the shit you want, you rule, brah!"? Also, do I need to bring anything like paper/pencils/sharpies, or do the artists generally have that on-hand?

I doubt you'll find many artists who will do anything for free. Not impossible, of course, but most of them are going there to make money; It isn't unusual for their commissions to fill up rather quickly if they are a popular artist. When it comes to a commission, you can usually ask for anything. The price will vary depending on the artist and what you are asking for. As a general rule, the more detail involved, whether via more parts of a body / more people / inks or colors, the more expensive it is. The commissions that I've had done usually were something like "A smug looking Power Girl" or a similar description. Lastly, prioritize who you want to do your commission and get there as early as possible. You don't need to bring anything at all artists will have everything they need on hand.

Couple of things:

1. Most (as in, almost all) artists attending cons don't do free sketches. Expect to pay and, depending on how big the artist is, expect to pay a lot.

2. Depending on how popular an artist is, there can be a waiting list to get a sketch done. If you're not high on the list, don't expect much so sign up early.

3. Being friendly with the artist certainly doesn't hurt, but above all be polite, be gracious, and avoid criticism.

4. It's best to have some idea of what you want beforehand, and have a reference ready for them to look at.

5. Know which artists are attending a con, decide which one you want a sketch from the most, then go to their table IMMEDIATELY.

6. Keep it simple. If you want the Mona Lisa, you're better off trying to commission that outside of a con.

EDIT: 7. It's really too late now, but for future reference artists with an online presence will sometimes take sketch requests in advance of the con in exchange for up-front commission.

Owzers

I'm enjoying Age of Ultron through issue 5 on Marvel Unlimited, Bendis books are always better when you're not paying per issue, especially events.

Finished X-Men #4 so i can move on to the first 4 issues of Battle of the Atom, didn't like the first 4 issues at all, seemed like a fairly week starting arc for a book that just launched.

HELLBOY BEAST HELLBOY BEAT HELLBOY BEAST

RcF1zpZ.jpg

Amazing x-men preview

Just a heads-up: Bleeding Cool has what it thinks is a spoiler for this week's installment of "Battle of the Atom" on its site... seems like Rich is suggesting that
one of the future X-Men accompanying Xorn-Jean to the present is in reality the Wolverine/Mystique offspring, shapeshifted into another form. And we find out which one in this week's issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just a heads-up: Bleeding Cool has what it thinks is a spoiler for this week's installment of "Battle of the Atom" on its site... seems like Rich is suggesting that
one of the future X-Men accompanying Xorn-Jean to the present is in reality the Wolverine/Mystique offspring, shapeshifted into another form. And we find out which one in this week's issue.

I think we already knew that was coming, but it's still pretty hype.

Xavier Jr has been very fishy to me at least

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Comics superstar Robert Kirkman tries his hand at horror. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48340

Kirkman also revealed that the series is already underway as a possible TV series with his partners at Fox International who handle "The Walking Dead" TV series in other countries. "I'm very excited about that side of things, but I will say this was only ever intended to be a comic book series," he said. "I certainly like that side of the business and love working in television, but it is something that like 'The Walking Dead' where I'm working on the comic book series and the TV show at the same time...but the two projects are kept separately in my head."

Only ever intended to be a comic series... except you've been in talks about a TV show even before the comic was ever revealed publicly. Mmm hmm.

Eldren

I pre-ordered the hardcover of Death Of The Family back in July and it was expected to arrive around the 16th October. I got an email today informing me that the book has been pushed back and is actually arriving around the 20th of November. DC, please. It's not even that big a book, it's only 5 issues. The last issue in the trade, #17, came out in February. I mean, 9 months, really?

As someone who doesn't read monthly issues, I feel like I don't have much to contribute and all I can do is whine about how expensive and far apart trades are. Thank god I'm not waiting for the paperback version. 15 months is just insulting.

-----

Anyway, something less negative. I really like those Amazing X-Men preview pages. Does anyone know who the colourist is? This page is gorgeous:

Isak_Borg

They're right on the money with this one.

It's a pretty dope reveal.

Owzers

o no
walking ded sale

if you don't like Kirkman's writing i'd be hesitant. Unlike Invincible, Walking Dead's plot really stutters after issue 50, up until then it's great, but afterwards you'd be stuck with Kirkman writing but no wild plot shenanigans for long time. I enjoy reading it monthly and the current plot is ramping up decently, but it's never been as good as it used to be.

So....buy it.

I pre-ordered the hardcover of Death Of The Family back in July and it was expected to arrive around the 16th October. I got an email today informing me that the book has been pushed back and is actually arriving around the 20th of November. DC, please. It's not even that big a book, it's only 5 issues. The last issue in the trade, #17, came out in February. I mean, 9 months, really?

As someone who doesn't read monthly issues, I feel like I don't have much to contribute and all I can do is whine about how expensive and far apart trades are. Thank god I'm not waiting for the paperback version. 15 months is just insulting.

Bugger. Email had filed my amazon emails off into spamland, and just checked - I have the same update to my pre-order. Had placed my own pre-order on the 28th of April haha. Not coo lat all. Been having an epic batman month so far. Pre-purchased origins, and got Asylum and City on Steam, so playing through those. Finally got the DKR bluray. Got Talon, and bought my girlfriend the new voluems of Nightwing & Batman and Robin that she had fell behind on. Literally jsut reread Court & City of Owls. Got hold of the beware the batman eps and new issues of L'il Gotham for my kid. Was looking forward to Death of the family as the main attraction though, super disappointing to delay it so late in the game :(

Can you tell Batman is literally the only superhero I get super excited about haha? Franchsie is at an all time high in so many mediums, why do this to me DC!

EDIT: Actually, Its quite scary how far I went with the bat theme this month when I consider it. Caught up on vol. 2 & 3 of Batwoman too ,and started christmas shopping at toys r us today, and bought the boy so much of the imaginext dc batman stuff haha

tim1138

Yeah, I posted earlier in the thread about it but had to pull back because I blew my load on a test run.

I'm really happy about this and they seem decently priced ;).

Yeah the pricing is much more inline with Amazon and B&N now. Do you guys ever include trades in your sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom