• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

i want to keep every comic i own digitally on my device at one time....it does not work out that way so i usually just have a few series like New Avengers, Avengers, uncanny avengers, thor, cap, atomic robo, and stuff.

Eldren, you seem really nice and all, but I don't feel bad for trade waiters (and I trade wait one or two titles myself). Like, I'm happy that they exist and enjoy the stories and support the industry and everything. And I certainly understand why reading comics that way would be one's preferred method. But like.. Single issues are votes, right? They are what keep books going. They are what keep creators employed. If you want to read a collection in your own time then I guess publishers will release them in their own time. Doesn't mean you don't have a gripe. But people who do plunk down monthly, well, one of the great things about that is being current. Knowing what is happening right this second and getting to talk to others about it. But single issue buyers pay more for the stories generally and are left holding a fragile magazine in the end instead of a sexy shelf filler. We all make our choices. I guess my point is that I don't think it's unfair. You could argue that DC has a stupid, self-defeating release schedule. Stupid maybe, but not unfair.

I just defended DC, guys. Did you see that?

Anyway, to echo others, that's part of what makes Image's system cool. They release volumes in such a way that encourages readers to jump on monthly.

Isak_Borg

Eldren, you seem really nice and all, but I don't feel bad for trade waiters (and I trade wait one or two titles myself). Like, I'm happy that they exist and enjoy the stories and support the industry and everything. And I certainly understand why reading comics that way would be one's preferred method. But like.. Single issues are votes, right? They are what keep books going. They are what keep creators employed. If you want to read a collection in your own time then I guess publishers will release them in their own time. Doesn't mean you don't have a gripe. But people who do plunk down monthly, well, one of the great things about that is being current. Knowing what is happening right this second and getting to talk to others about it. But single issue buyers pay more for the stories generally and are left holding a fragile magazine in the end instead of a sexy shelf filler. We all make our choices. I guess my point is that I don't think it's unfair. You could argue that DC has a stupid, self-defeating release schedule. Stupid maybe, but not unfair.

I just defended DC, guys. Did you see that?

Anyway, to echo others, that's part of what makes Image's system cool. They release volumes in such a way that encourages readers to jump on monthly.

You're right on all your points and more imeportantly single issues help retailers a lot and give them a better idea on what they should order. Way to many good books have died because of people waiting for trades. Its kind of nice that certain books like fatale and saga give people an incentive to buy individual issues.

Isak_Borg

Pretty obvious that Rucka wouldn't go back to DC, especially with how its being run right now. The guy is in love with creator owned books.

Rucka is really pissed at the big two at the moment and dont see him working for them anytime soon.

They killed his punisher book just when just was getting started so marvel could launch thunderbolts with punisher.

Owzers

Eldren needs to join team DCBS...though with monthly shipping i'm still at the end of current conversations, i'm still riding their coattails. If it weren't for digital codes being included in marvel books it's possible i'd be Marvel Unlimited/Image trades/Comixology sales only.

Isak_Borg

Has anyone here checked out Alterna publishing im not sure how much print they do but their books are really interesting and worth checking out.

All my ghost, Novo and fubar are worth chrcking out.

Messi

You're right on all your points and more imeportantly single issues help retailers a lot and give them a better idea on what they should order. Way to many good books have died because of people waiting for trades. Its kind of nice that certain books like fatale and saga give people an incentive to buy individual issues.

I have caught up with Saga and now buy the monthly issues since the start of the 3rd arc. The only reason I caught up was due to Images timely release of the second volumes paperback.

Acid08

Banned
I have caught up with Saga and now buy the monthly issues since the start of the 3rd arc. The only reason I caught up was due to Images timely release of the second volumes paperback.
Image is the only company that is doing trades right at this point. I

Isak_Borg

Image is the only company that is doing trades right at this point. I

Sucks thwt creators have to pay for the printing of the material which isnt a big deal for talent that is well established but smaller artist on the publisher do it out of pocket.

Isak_Borg

Yeah, pretty much. Though they do kind of double-dip with those deluxe hardcovers, but I can't fault them for that, because those hardcovers are nice books.

They arent double dipping the creators have the option of releasing the hardcovers and pay for it out of pocket.

ElNarez

Banned
I read about this earlier and it sounds like a really bad idea. Especially because once the gimmick is over DC will go in completely different directions and the real DC comics line in 5 years will not reflect what was going on in the event at all.

It's a five-year time skip in story time, not Actual Time, otherwise you'd have to assume that DC Comics hasn't been destroyed by hordes of angry Stephanie Brown fans during the Great Nerd Wars of 2018.

Owzers

i like trades and dislike monthly comics.

creators need their monthly comics to sell well to survive.

grumble grumble.

I notice that I do not read many of the current Marvel titles. I basically read Ultimate Comics Spider-man and Hawkguy. So in your opinion what should I be reading.

I think I will buy Deadpool Vol 1 and Thor Vol 1 tomorrow but i'd love some more suggestions.

X-Men
Wolverine & The X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Ultimate X-Men
All New X-Men
Amazing X-Men

Marvel is starting to feel how overpriced their trades and OGNs are. They Season One line has been seventy percent off on instocktrades for a few weeks. Those books are paper thin and have about three issues worth of content, if that. I remember reading X Men season one and regretting it...

JEKKI

I was excited to hear DC finally added collected/trades to comixology!!

but they dont have any of the old Geff Johns Green Lantern collected!

which is what I really wanna check out!! grrr!

it sux coz I can get the physical versions for cheaper than digital, but I dont have the space to keep the stack of books :(

I'm STILL waiting for a 99cents sale on that series >_<

It's just Avengers and Ant-man, a shame cuz I'd buy Dr. Strange and X-Men for the art alone if they were 70% off.

My copy of Rocket Girl came in. It's OK, might possibly go somewehere cool. I don't think it was well paced for a #1, but I should've expected writing problems. One thing I didn't get was
why the 1986 cops had no problem letting a 15 year old go in the line of fire but then try to arrest her.
Maybe Halloween Eve wasn't a one off thing, maybe Brandon Montclare is just a mediocre writer. Also her name is "Dayoung Johansson," which is almost Jet Brody tier

It looked good and came with a cool mini print, so I don't really regret backing it though. I'll give it another issue or two.

JEKKI

yo what the eff?!?! Suicide Squad vol 4 trade doesnt drop til frikken May?!?!

I dropped that series back in like issue 17 coz of how terrible it got lol,

but apparently Ales Kot made it awesome again, and I slept on it lol

and now theyre bringing Captain Bomerang back!

after he suddenly appeared and disappeared earlier in the series lol

thinking about jumping back on anyways...

Owzers

"When people need killing, they come to me. It's what i'm known for, especially these days when decisions need to be made. I don't mind, I'm good at it, but give me some peace and ARGH!"

Feels like every book i read with Wolverine in it lately.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
"When people need killing, they come to me. It's what i'm known for, especially these days when decisions need to be made. I don't mind, I'm good at it, but give me some peace and ARGH!"

Feels like every book i read with Wolverine in it lately.

that is unless hes going against an established character. then all his killing abilities seem to just vanish

Ok so I read volume 1 of Fear Agent. Think I am on the fence with this one, good thing I have them all and I don't have to sit here debating whether the read was worth buying the next volume of not.

Positives first: The art is awesome. There's no real denying that. Moore doesn't skimp on detail one iota. On the writing, hmmm. I'll say Heath is on the surface a likeable character, and def has the potential to be more interesting on a deeper level. There's a moment at the beginning of issue 2, after all the bravado and quick quips of issue 1 where he just slouches into his seat, and there's a couple of panels of him just sitting there, and you realise how empty the guy's life really is. If the next volume can really tap into that and explore the disconnect between the way he behaves, and how he really feels, I think it could be really great. The volume doesn't really let up though, and probably the only other quiet moment leads me into

The Negative Zone: SO there's a bit in issueee 3 I think, where Heath and Mara wake up and some wacky stuff has happened to them, and a certain character just fucking info dumps them. Info dumps them for ages and ages. Now often, right after the characters, I find the lore of a book uber interesting. I love when you see characters settle down on a new planet, look at the ruins around them and there's a story in there, waiting to be told, piece by piece. Well, they get the story here, but there's no drip by drip mystery or anything, it's just a massive blurb, of a story that's not suuuper entertaining. This was certainly the low point of the trade for me. Now I've over that hump, I really hope it's a one off.

The other moan I have is the amount of inner monologue. Inner monologue is a tricky thing imo in comics. Remender has a great handle from the very get go on Hudson's language and when a character really talks like they're from and uses little sayings from a place (real or not real) that can get me right in the story, straight awya. So he has that going. The inner monologue from Heath often runs the danger though of telling what is already being shown. A lot of issue 1 has Heath basically telling you the story that is literally occurring on the panels, and I hate that in a comic. Show not tell. Tell if you have something beyond showing that will enhance the story. Like I said, he has a good grip on Heath so there is valuable stuff in there, but it's a bit intense for me. I felt it got much better once Mara showed up and Heath could straight up talk if there was something Remender wanted to convey.

So yea, interesting read, but I'm not sold yet. I enjoy the zany crazy action but found myself wanting it to slow down and spend more time with the characters. The one time it did slow down, it attacked me with a slog of history. I can absolutely see a road it can go down where I'm going to grow to really enjoy the story, but I could see the opposite too. So yea, my thoughts so far. Probably read the 2nd volume tonight!

Vibranium

Banned
Rucka is really pissed at the big two at the moment and dont see him working for them anytime soon.

They killed his punisher book just when just was getting started so marvel could launch thunderbolts with punisher.

And then Frank was forced him into a stupid fucking brief romance with Elektra, how the fuck was going from Greg to Daniel Way a good idea??? It boggles my mind how the company that ok'd Hawkeye could do something so shitty like this, they could have "relaunched" Punisher with a new story hook after War Zone, provided Rucka was ok with it.

With any sense, they'll do something neat for any future Punisher book by having Castle travel around the world rather than being tied-down in New York. Frank jet-setting to places like China to deal with triads and super villains could help get the sour taste of TB out of my mouth.

sca2511

Pretty excited for APE this year. Colleen Coover & Paul Tobin will be there, though I'm not sure if I'll be there on the same day as them. I'd like to at least pick up the program book.

ape2013_programbookcov.jpg

It's a five-year time skip in story time, not Actual Time, otherwise you'd have to assume that DC Comics hasn't been destroyed by hordes of angry Stephanie Brown fans during the Great Nerd Wars of 2018.

Yes I know but I'm saying the whole story arc will be pointless unless DC commits to taking their characters and books into the direction of that story arc overt he next few years which I know they won't do. So this story will end up not being canon and a huge waste of time.

ElNarez

Banned
Yes I know but I'm saying the whole story arc will be pointless unless DC commits to taking their characters and books into the direction of that story arc overt he next few years which I know they won't do. So this story will end up not being canon and a huge waste of time.

No the point is the event is not "stories that will happen five years from September 2014" it is "stories that happen five years after the stories from presumably August 2014", with the gap inbetween being filled by the hypothetical weekly series. Committing to five years of stories would be terribly stupid for any big maker of Corporate Cape Comics. Even DC aren't stupid enough to bring you the comics of 2019 today, because who knows what happens in 2019 (no one does, and no one will, because The Event will come and everyone will tremble in its wake)

No the point is the event is not "stories that will happen five years from September 2014" it is "stories that happen five years after the stories from presumably August 2014", with the gap inbetween being filled by the hypothetical weekly series. Committing to five years of stories would be terribly stupid for any big maker of Corporate Cape Comics. Even DC aren't stupid enough to bring you the comics of 2019 today, because who knows what happens in 2019 (no one does, and no one will, because The Event will come and everyone will tremble in its wake)

I'm sorry I'm having trouble following, so (assuming rumor is true) once the comics of August 2014 and the weekly series are done the DCU will remain in that "5 years later" future? It's not like an "origins & omens" type thing where they try to do a horrible job of teasing future stories?

Quantum and Woody is really good. Relic is on his way to becoming a legendary GL villain, he was needed after John's run.

It seems the teasers dried up. Guess Robinson's second book is not coming yet...

histopher

Is Superior Spidey on a different release schedule now? Feels like forever since the last issue. I thought it released every2/3 weeks?

Owzers

Amazon fixed their usable space on 16GB hdx fires, its' now 10.9 usable from the initially reported 8.whatever.

Savage Wolverine #7, the first issue from Wells/Mads' 3 issue story, was what brought on my Wolverine kills people thing. The Spidey part was the best, apart from that it was an iffy start.

i'm excited for a flood of comic con news :O Also....American Horror Story: Coven starts tonight.

Aaaaah. Sad to say guys, that's me read through volume 3 of Fear Agent now, it's just not lighting my world on fire. Definitely stepped up from volume 1, but just ehhh. I don't feel too invested in anyone bar Heath, and I'm half way through the series now. It's not pulpy/zany enough for me to give it a pass and enjoy it in that regard, and I don't know, I just don't find the plot compelling enough otherwise to give it a pass on really just focusing on the one character. Do understand though, that I say all of this with the understanding that it's a widely acclaimed book and that I am obviously an outlier here. I also have full intention of reading all the way through the next 3, so who knows.

It also doesn't necessarily put me off trying the first volume of Black Science. The art on that book kills me every time I look at it, and Remender is a good bit further in his career now. I dug X-Force plenty, so yea.

EDIT: And of course, I level all that criticism, and I am REALLY enjoying volume 4. I don't know if it's Opena coming along in his art with Dwyer helping out or just Remender really getting things going with the characters, but I really like this one. Visuals are amazing, both parties' stories are interesting, I love the visuals for the planet Heath is on and I just read
the gladiator duel between him and Keith - whaaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom