• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you don't like Kirkman's writing i'd be hesitant. Unlike Invincible, Walking Dead's plot really stutters after issue 50, up until then it's great, but afterwards you'd be stuck with Kirkman writing but no wild plot shenanigans for long time. I enjoy reading it monthly and the current plot is ramping up decently, but it's never been as good as it used to be.

So....buy it.

I hate Kirkman but Adlard's dystopia and burnt out parking lots and highways can outclass even the shittiest writing.

Owzers

On the subject of comixology:

Is the cmx-hd format going to expand to other high resolution screen devices? Ipad mini 2 when it gets a retina display seems like the most obvious one, but what about the new kindle fire hdx 8.9 inch tablet with a 2560x1600 resolution screen.

if you don't like Kirkman's writing i'd be hesitant. Unlike Invincible, Walking Dead's plot really stutters after issue 50, up until then it's great, but afterwards you'd be stuck with Kirkman writing but no wild plot shenanigans for long time. I enjoy reading it monthly and the current plot is ramping up decently, but it's never been as good as it used to be.

So....buy it.

This is pretty much the general consensus it seems. I think there are some strong arcs after 50, but it's undeniable that it mostly loses it's way. I still have love for it thought and feel heavily invested in the characters and absolutely must know what happens right to the end.

I wish they would, like, write Michonne out of the series though. I user to love her and I WANT to love her. Why won't you let me love her, Kirkman? Why must you hurt me with her horrid, inconsistent non-characterization? It's like Kirman writes the story, figures out how everyone fits and then just last minute goes "oh shit, what about my awesome sword-fighting wicked tough and mysterious Michonne? Oh I'll just squeeze her in any which way."

Eldren

Batmanbatmanbatman

Haha, I can indeed tell you're a fan. It's so annoying, it feels like we've been waiting bloody ages for this trade and they just pushed it back another month. As if those 8 months weren't already an incredibly long wait. Plus we've still no idea when issues 18-20 will be collected because they're not part of the Zero Year solicits. DC are a mess. I just want more Snyder/Capullo Batman :(

Has your copy of Talon arrived, by the way? I'm kind of curious about that one myself, seeing as I really enjoyed the Owls stuff.

This [softcovers soon after hardcovers] makes far too much sense for either Marvel or DC to bother attempting it.
What's confusing is that I thought Marvel typically did release the softcover about 4-6 months after the hardcover; DC is the crazy outlier with the softcover tpb often coming out like 1.5 years later (if at all). The pricing is still higher than competitors (particularly the fancy Dark Horse hardcovers like Hellboy and Fear Agent) but buying trades at MSRP is for suckers. Either work out a discount with your LCBS or use Amazon/IST.

Isak_Borg

Is the cmx-hd format going to expand to other high resolution screen devices? Ipad mini 2 when it gets a retina display seems like the most obvious one, but what about the new kindle fire hdx 8.9 inch tablet with a 2560x1600 resolution screen.

I would imagine that is something someone somewhere is working on but I personally know nothing.

Hey guys, I got a question:

I'm going to comic-con this Friday and I've decided I want to bring along a sketchpad and maybe get a commission or two. I've never done either before due to money constraints and Idon'tknowwhy but I wanted to know about sketch and commission etiquette.

For sketches, is it okay to just come up to the creator/artist, chat with them, and ask for a sketch in the book? Is that always free or what?

For commissions, would it be better to ask for something specific, a theme, or just say "do whatever the shit you want, you rule, brah!"? Also, do I need to bring anything like paper/pencils/sharpies, or do the artists generally have that on-hand?

Any tips/stories/quick-guidances you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously I'm sure it varies depending on an artist's popularity but how much does a sketch or comissioned work typically cost?

I've always wanted a work done by one of my favorite comic book artists to hang in my home office or den but I've always been under the assumption that it would be cost prohibitive.

Haha, I can indeed tell you're a fan. It's so annoying, it feels like we've been waiting bloody ages for this trade and they just pushed it back another month. As if those 8 months weren't already an incredibly long wait. Plus we've still no idea when issues 18-20 will be collected because they're not part of the Zero Year solicits. DC are a mess. I just want more Snyder/Capullo Batman :(

Has your copy of Talon arrived, by the way? I'm kind of curious about that one myself, seeing as I really enjoyed the Owls stuff.

So much yes, to your bold haha. It's really the two of them that enthuse me so much about the character, just a perfect team. I'll probably drop off after they leave, but I'll savour every moment til that day.

I got it! Yesterday, my prime sub actually managed to deliver on next day for once. I read the first chapter last night, from the #0 month. So far, I like it. While it looks like I just love Batman from the previous post, I'm the total opposite. I love creators, follow creators, and it just happens I think there are amazing creators throughout the various mediums of the franchise right now (hence why, while I read Batman & Batwoman, I actually only read Nightwing because the missus reads it, I don't like Higgins enough to buy purely for myself otherwise). So despite Snyder's thumbs up and much loving the court of owls too, I was still uber wary of Tynion as I've had no exposure to him before, and I'm still prepared to be disappointed to be honest. So far though, I did really enjoy the intro issue. He gets the inner monologue right which is good for a budding bat writer, and he fit in a few good quips. I could maybe see him write a good Nightwing actually. As I said though, just one ish. I don't normally like Guillem March's art as it just kind of strikes me as a modern version of the 90s, but it was pretty cool here. Fingers crossed on it.

Decently enough too, it was £9, and 8 issues long, so it's a nice thick volume for the $$$

KePoW

Banned

What is cmx-hd format?

I use Comixology on Android, but I don't think I've come across that term before.

Isak_Borg

What is cmx-hd format?

I use Comixology on Android, but I don't think I've come across that term before.

He's wondering if we're going to release an HD android app similar to the iTunes App.

Edit: As an Android user myself I'm looking forward to it myself if they ever do work on it.

Obviously I'm sure it varies depending on an artist's popularity but how much does a sketch or comissioned work typically cost?

I've always wanted a work done by one of my favorite comic book artists to hang in my home office or den but I've always been under the assumption that it would be cost prohibitive.

I've found that it is usually anywhere from $25-100 for the average work. I got one of the guys who does Wonder Woman to do a head ink sketch of Orion for $25 and got Kevin Maguire to sketch/ink an upper torso up of Power Girl for around $100, as examples.

MG310

There's a list here though some are pretty out of date. Bring a sketchbook or a bristol pad just in case ...most will have their rates posted on the table though be aware that a good amount pre-book their sketches online. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Here's a list to get a general idea though some are definitely out of date and some go higher/lower depending on the convention as well.

http://sketchprices.com/home.html

and a few artists have their rates posted on their individual sites...

Here's Ryan Stegman and Todd Nauck's rates...

http://ryanstegman.tumblr.com/

http://toddnauck.com/2013/10/07/uncategorized/nycc2013/

Eldren

What's confusing is that I thought Marvel typically did release the softcover about 4-6 months after the hardcover; DC is the crazy outlier with the softcover tpb often coming out like 1.5 years later (if at all). The pricing is still higher than competitors (particularly the fancy Dark Horse hardcovers like Hellboy and Fear Agent) but buying trades at MSRP is for suckers. Either work out a discount with your LCBS or use Amazon/IST.

Oh yeah I agree, I don't buy at MSRP. I get mine from sellers on Amazon almost exclusively. A lot of these websites like InStockTrades and CheapGraphicNovels are based in the US so the shipping to the UK normally cancels out any savings I would have made unfortunately.

I don't think I've ever bought a fancy Dark Horse book, are they pretty reasonably priced?

I haven't really paid much attention to Marvel's trade timings, likely because they're pretty inoffensive; hardcovers come out reasonably quickly which is nice but if I don't fancy springing for hardcovers, the softcovers usually aren't too far behind. DC is just irritating, precisely because their trades are so expensive and slow to release. I'm still stunned by the revelation that Death Of The Family SC comes out in May.

Thank god for Image, that's all I'll say.

So much yes, to your bold haha. It's really the two of them that enthuse me so much about the character, just a perfect team. I'll probably drop off after they leave, but I'll savour every moment til that day.

[Talon talk]

Decently enough too, it was £9, and 8 issues long, so it's a nice thick volume for the $$$

Agreed, they're a fantastic team. I picked up Swamp Thing after reading Court Of Owls and I'll definitely be picking up The Wake as well, because I'm happy to follow Snyder to most books (although not Superman Unchained; no real interest in that one.) Hopefully DC aren't too stupid to realise that Snyder/Capullo are a powerhouse team and allow them relatively free reign over what they make for a long time to come. I'd hate to see them fall victim to DC editorial like so many other creators.

Hmm, Talon sounds pretty interesting! I don't think I've read anything drawn by March, although didn't he do that first Catwoman run, the really cheesecake-y one? I'll probably check it out at some point, I wouldn't mind getting more Owls story. Also, that is a really good price and 8 issues is very nice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've gotta massive headache so someone else read this and tell me if it's just Rich trolling. I mean it has to be right? Rucka back at DC? And what the hell does "Plans gang aft agley" mean?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10...cs-september-event-revealed-five-years-later/

That's gotta be trolling. What would be the point in a
continuity wide time-skip
?

I got it! Yesterday, my prime sub actually managed to deliver on next day for once. I read the first chapter last night, from the #0 month. So far, I like it. While it looks like I just love Batman from the previous post, I'm the total opposite. I love creators, follow creators, and it just happens I think there are amazing creators throughout the various mediums of the franchise right now (hence why, while I read Batman & Batwoman, I actually only read Nightwing because the missus reads it, I don't like Higgins enough to buy purely for myself otherwise). So despite Snyder's thumbs up and much loving the court of owls too, I was still uber wary of Tynion as I've had no exposure to him before, and I'm still prepared to be disappointed to be honest. So far though, I did really enjoy the intro issue. He gets the inner monologue right which is good for a budding bat writer, and he fit in a few good quips. I could maybe see him write a good Nightwing actually. As I said though, just one ish. I don't normally like Guillem March's art as it just kind of strikes me as a modern version of the 90s, but it was pretty cool here. Fingers crossed on it.

Tynion did the back ups in Snyder's Batman book after the Nu52 launched for the longest time, so if you liked those you'll like Talon fine.

I really hope DC doesn't do anything stupid like take Snyder and Capullo off of Batman. They are absolutely killing it. Tomorrow's issue looks like a lot of fun from the preview.

tim1138

Thank goodness that's a real thing, I was slightly worried I was having an aneurysm.

Or more likely Rich posted an anagram or something I couldn't be bothered to figure out.

That's gotta be trolling. What would be the point in a
continuity wide time-skip
?

Clearly it can only mean one thing - the Kirbyverse is becoming canon and the Great Disaster is coming! The time skip will reintroduce Kamandi!

bengraven

Fucking love new X-men books. At least post-Schism, what I've read so far. I know I've said similar the last few weeks but fuck me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe they think that feeling of learning about a familiar, but changed world is what made sales on the new 52 go up, and are trying to recapture it?

Then they really don't understand what makes books good.

Please don't mess with Batman too much DC, let them just do their own thing.

DC Editorial very clearly don't actually have any idea what makes books good and has only been publishing occasional good stuff on accident.

Rucka's already responded.

ao8g4gY.jpg

Also, a "Five Years Later" event sounds like an awful idea. Either five years down the road, the landscape of the universe has changed so much after five years of continuing stories in multiple series, that you have to ignore the event in which case what's the point; or, you create an unshakeable series of events that must happen five years in the future, and lock your creative teams into building to an endgame they must not deviate from for fear of altering the path. One is meaningless, the other stifling.

Acid08

Banned
Pretty obvious that Rucka wouldn't go back to DC, especially with how its being run right now. The guy is in love with creator owned books.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I refuse to believe that 5 years later shit. That sounds so problematic.

Also, Rucka coming back to DC..... ahahahahahahahaha, no. He let himself get talked into going to Marvel and despite all kinds of assurances that made him feel comfortable signing on, they still turned around and stomped on his run. Not a chance in hell he goes back to DC unless there's a big regime change.

Also, a "Five Years Later" event sounds like an awful idea. Either five years down the road, the landscape of the universe has changed so much after five years of continuing stories in multiple series, that you have to ignore the event in which case what's the point; or, you create an unshakeable series of events that must happen five years in the future, and lock your creative teams into building to an endgame they must not deviate from for fear of altering the path. One is meaningless, the other stifling.
Bingo.

Oh, I definitely agree. Although I think hardcore universe followers (whether it be Marvel or DC) really lap up alternate reality/intentional world building gaps since it leaves spots for a writer to slow drip info to the reader.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rucka's already responded.

ao8g4gY.jpg

The sad part is that this sounds exactly like something DC's editorial would do...

I'm happy to follow Snyder to most books

Worth asking: Have you read Severed? I love that and the HC is so nice, right up there with the quality of the locke and key books. I'm really in the same boat, I'll probably follow him wherever he goes for the rest of his career. Only disappointment is by the time he's done with Bruce, it'll probably have been such a long epic run, he'll probably be done with Batman for a long time, and I'd loooove to have him write Dick again. Doesn't seem on the cards though.

Tynion did the back ups in Snyder's Batman book after the Nu52 launched for the longest time, so if you liked those you'll like Talon fine.

Hmm, I'm trying to think, did any of those make it into the trades though? I think the only back-ups in the two hardcovers are the Raphael Albuquerque drawn things. Oh wait, did he write the Mr Freeze story?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Worth asking: Have you read Severed? I love that and the HC is so nice, right up there with the quality of the locke and key books. I'm really in the same boat, I'll probably follow him wherever he goes for the rest of his career. Only disappointment is by the time he's done with Bruce, it'll probably have been such a long epic run, he'll probably be done with Batman for a long time, and I'd loooove to have him write Dick again. Doesn't seem on the cards though.

Hmm, I'm trying to think, did any of those make it into the trades though? I think the only back-ups in the two hardcovers are the Raphael Albuquerque drawn things. Oh wait, did he write the Mr Freeze story?

Remember the back-ups from the Court of Owls, where Alfred's dad was writing him a letter? Also the back-ups during DotF. Tynion worked on both sets, Snyder gave him the plot and he wrote it out.

Remember the back-ups from the Court of Owls, where Alfred's dad was writing him a letter? Also the back-ups during DotF. Tynion worked on both sets, Snyder gave him the plot and he wrote it out.

Oh okay, I'm with you! The raphael alburquerque story I was thinking of was specifically the one where Jarvis writes the letter to Alfred haha. Well, that's brilliant then, because I just re-read that the other day, and I love that. No DoTF for me yet....:( or Eldren haha. DC hates trade waiters. I'd love to see people who wait for and buy expensive blu-ray boxsets of their favourite shows treated like such lepers. "Sorry, we know you've waited a long time for Game of Thrones season 3, but now you have to wait until season 4 is done, because you don't support us in the preferred way (yet still one we'll happily take the money from you for).

Messi

I notice that I do not read many of the current Marvel titles. I basically read Ultimate Comics Spider-man and Hawkguy. So in your opinion what should I be reading.

I think I will buy Deadpool Vol 1 and Thor Vol 1 tomorrow but i'd love some more suggestions.

Isak_Borg

He's wondering if we're going to release an HD android app similar to the iTunes App.

Edit: As an Android user myself I'm looking forward to it myself if they ever do work on it.

I kind of look like an asshole now but HD Android launched today -D.

I've been using it for weeks and it's pretty amazing.

Eldren

I've not read Severed, no. I remember reading a preview and not really feeling the art, but maybe I'll take another look and see if it grabs me this time. I'm loving what I've read of his current Batman run and I think he's doing an excellent job, but I sort of feel like I'm waiting for him to write his New 52 Black Mirror. Something just utterly incredible. Having said that, Zero Year features the Riddler who I really like so hopefully I'll really enjoy that story when I read it next June or whenever DC deigns to allow us lessors to get our hands on their property.

Owzers

I kind of look like an asshole now but HD Android launched today -D.

I've been using it for weeks and it's pretty amazing.

added fit to width too, nice. Now all you have to do is go into the future and make sure the ipad mini 2 has a retina screen and hd comics.

^ and kindle fire hdx too...

read the faq :O Kindle fire hdx is supported. Nook HD+ is not though.

HD DEVICES

Galaxy Note 2+
Samsung S3+
Nexus 10
Nexus 7 2013
HTC One
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HD 7" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (2nd Gen)
LG G2
Nexus 4

though it says other hd devices might support them

tim1138

added fit to width too, nice. Now all you have to do is go into the future and make sure the ipad mini 2 has a retina screen and hd comics.

^ and kindle fire hdx too...

read the faq :O Kindle fire hdx is supported. Nook HD+ is not though.

HD DEVICES

Galaxy Note 2+
Samsung S3+
Nexus 10
Nexus 7 2013
HTC One
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HD 7" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (2nd Gen)
LG G2
Nexus 4

though it says other hd devices might support them

I love my OG Kindle Fire and was planning on upgrading this year, good to both the HD and HDX are supported.

Owzers

only real beef with Kindle fire hdx is that the 16GB model only has 8.something of useable space and i like my ios games Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom