• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Coffin Hill was good enough to get another shot next month.

If you are not reading Manhattan Projects you are a terrible person and should be ashamed of yourself.

Batman #24 was a masterpiece. So much Bat lore in this issue but with enough new things to make it fresh and exciting. Snyder and Capullo are on fire.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman #24 was a masterpiece. So much Bat lore in this issue but with enough new things to make it fresh and exciting. Snyder and Capullo are on fire.

You aren't kidding and this was only the end to the first part of the arc. I liked that
identity tease they did, it was a nice fake out.

There is so much to like:

The new Bat suit, Kevlar and purple.

The military hair cut.

The homage to Detective Comics #27 and Bob Kane.

Bat Country

The Riddler reveal

Etc.

Loved it and don't see anything taking it over as comic of the week.

I saw that Walking Dead 115 hits tonight at midnight. I thought about getting all of the variant covers to make the giant image... and then framing it for my mancave... but the pic I saw of it was not that impressive.

Coffin Hill was good enough to get another shot next month.

Quite interested in this for my girlfriend, it seems in her wheelhouse. She reads Fables and American Vampire ( & I, Zombie until it croaked), would be happy to hear further thoughts on the writing, art, if you have any! Is it even relaly a horror book, or a drama, or thriller with a supernatural basis? I don't know a whole lot of it, just noted it down at one point as one to watch.

I'm waiting for an oversized hardcover collection, brah. Yeah, it's probably a pipe dream but I want to hold onto that dream.

Effectively the same for me. Even with 4 of them sitting there with a pay what you like tag on it, I'll at least be waiting until they are all out before I read, and preferably a physical trade if that comes along. Single issues at a time just do nothing for me ha but I love me some BKV.

sca2511

Batman 66 is digital only? Wanted to pick up #15 for that Colleen art.

Also, Comixology HD update for Android? Yesss

Picked up Lazarus vol 1 today, looking forward to it.

Oh man, this makes me want to sit down and reread my issues. Lazarus will read well in trade, I imagine.

BKV has said that Private Eye will never be printed. I prefer print so that bums me out because I love the look of the book. And I was impressed by the concept when it was explained to me, though I only retain a vague idea of its themes. It's a good way to get people to not trade-wait though, I guess, ha.

Vibranium

Banned
Aw yeah, I Thor was awesome today, I love Asgard so much, having
Freya assemble Thor his own "Dream Team" was great. I wonder if Malekith will be done in by Thor, after The Dark World comes out Marvel may not care that much as long as they make money off merchandise

And reading Cap #12, it seems to me Steve should call in Iron Fist to deal with
the Iron Nail and his dragon buddy when he finds out about them
, there's nobody else better for the job. But sadly we probably won't have Danny until next year. :(

Infinity was decent, it just feels like the new/old Inhumans thing is something that's happened a ton of times. There's always tons of regular people in the Marvel Universe getting powers it seems, but they aren't given the most important gift of all: their own book!.

Eldren

Eldren, you seem really nice and all, but I don't feel bad for trade waiters (and I trade wait one or two titles myself). Like, I'm happy that they exist and enjoy the stories and support the industry and everything. And I certainly understand why reading comics that way would be one's preferred method. But like.. Single issues are votes, right? They are what keep books going. They are what keep creators employed. If you want to read a collection in your own time then I guess publishers will release them in their own time. Doesn't mean you don't have a gripe. But people who do plunk down monthly, well, one of the great things about that is being current. Knowing what is happening right this second and getting to talk to others about it. But single issue buyers pay more for the stories generally and are left holding a fragile magazine in the end instead of a sexy shelf filler. We all make our choices. I guess my point is that I don't think it's unfair. You could argue that DC has a stupid, self-defeating release schedule. Stupid maybe, but not unfair.

I just defended DC, guys. Did you see that?

Anyway, to echo others, that's part of what makes Image's system cool. They release volumes in such a way that encourages readers to jump on monthly.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not fishing for sympathy. It probably comes across that way because basically all I've contributed to this thread is endless whining (apologies for that) but I'm well aware I don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about waiting for trades. It's my choice, so I can't complain when Marvel and DC don't go out of their way to please one little customer.

Honestly, even if I did have a comic shop near me, I don't know if I would buy single issues, for the exact reasons you stated (plus I like the way the spines of trades look on my shelf), and even though I have easy access to Comixology and the like, I'm not too keen on digital comics. I'm entirely to blame for choosing to trade-wait. Bed made, laying in it, etc. You're right, DC aren't being unfair. It's their business and they can do what they wish. I'm probably making creators' lives harder by not buying single issues which I guess makes me a pretty shitty comics fan.

I'll try to be less whiny about trades from now on. Lord knows it must be boring to read/skip over.

BKV has said that Private Eye will never be printed. I prefer print so that bums me out because I love the look of the book. And I was impressed by the concept when it was explained to me, though I only retain a vague idea of its themes. It's a good way to get people to not trade-wait though, I guess, ha.

I'll be interested to see if he sticks by this. Like I said, I'll definitely wait until it's all finished and done with anyway, since it's only projected at, what, 10 issues or something? I suppose there's a chance too I'll never get to it. It's not like I ever run out of trades in print that I want to buy, alongside videogames and my endless journey to read every stephen king book in chronological order haha. More than likely, this gets lost by the way side as a purely digital product, for me.

I'm well aware I don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about waiting for trades. It's my choice, so I can't complain when Marvel and DC don't go out of their way to please one little customer.

I think yea, trade waiters can't complain too much because it is a choice. I think you have every right to complain though when you're a few days from release and they move the release back for some higher reason without an explanation. You're still a fan, your still putting a lot of money in these peoples pockets. I think 8 months from the end of a storyline makes it difficult and can prohibit you from jumping onto the singles even if you wanted (bravo image for doing this right). As Maquinon mentioned, there are downsides to singles too, it's all just a choice. I defy anyone to look at my bookshelf and say I don't support creators or don't make a vote for their books. I think clear and decent release dates that don't move on a whim is a fair exchange for that.

Owzers

Considering Spider-Man does almost nothing in Wells' three issue Savage Wolverine, it's a little misleading to have him on the cover of the first issue. I was under the impression it was going to be an Elektra/Wolverine/Spider-Man team-up funtastular...but it was not.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not fishing for sympathy. It probably comes across that way because basically all I've contributed to this thread is endless whining (apologies for that) but I'm well aware I don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about waiting for trades. It's my choice, so I can't complain when Marvel and DC don't go out of their way to please one little customer.

Honestly, even if I did have a comic shop near me, I don't know if I would buy single issues, for the exact reasons you stated (plus I like the way the spines of trades look on my shelf), and even though I have easy access to Comixology and the like, I'm not too keen on digital comics. I'm entirely to blame for choosing to trade-wait. Bed made, laying in it, etc. You're right, DC aren't being unfair. It's their business and they can do what they wish. I'm probably making creators' lives harder by not buying single issues which I guess makes me a pretty shitty comics fan.

I'll try to be less whiny about trades from now on. Lord knows it must be boring to read/skip over.

I totes agree on the trade thing, i'm probably about to drop all singles outside of a very select few. Actually considering going digital, because my LCS doesn't really discount books, they don't always get the books i want, plus i won't have to go anywhere. I still wanna support them though.

And nah, no one is a shitty comics fan for waiting for trades. I don't have money for all these fuckin' single issues! $4 price tags is a good way to make sure i won't be reading monthly, indie or not. Also i feel like they're not helping themselves either when trade release dates are so far away, so i mean.

Owzers

I totes agree on the trade thing, i'm probably about to drop all singles outside of a very select few. Actually considering going digital, because my LCS doesn't really discount books, they don't always get the books i want, plus i won't have to go anywhere. I still wanna support them though.

And nah, no one is a shitty comics fan for waiting for trades. I don't have money for all these fuckin' single issues! $4 price tags is a good way to make sure i won't be reading monthly, indie or not. Also i feel like they're not helping themselves either when trade release dates are so far away, so i mean.

You are welcome to join Team DCBS too for your discount comic buying needs.

You are welcome to join Team DCBS too for your discount comic buying needs.

Ah yeah, i did look at that and i'm considering it. I'd only buy bundles though because of shipping, and plus the other thing is that i feel like i'd be practically bound to it. Might use it for preorder bundles for new series though

tm24

So Xmen #6 was like the complete opposite of last week's ANXM, so it was totally rad and great and shit went down and I loved it.

So Xmen #6 was like the complete opposite of last week's ANXM, so it was totally rad and great and shit went down and I loved it.

Yep, don't like that art though

Magik is not amused

Pl80iSp.png

Considering Spider-Man does almost nothing in Wells' three issue Savage Wolverine, it's a little misleading to have him on the cover of the first issue. I was under the impression it was going to be an Elektra/Wolverine/Spider-Man team-up funtastular...but it was not.

I think it was originally an Avenging Spider-man arc but was delayed until after Superior happened so they shifted it to Savage Wolverine. Cover was probably done ahead of time, it was quite disappointing to me as well.

Acid08

Banned
Oh man, this makes me want to sit down and reread my issues. Lazarus will read well in trade, I imagine.

You don't have to pay anything for the issues. It's awesome. Read it now!!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I love how much love Thor's hammer is getting in both the main title and Infinity.

MORE METAL

That moment in Infinity was SO METAL.

The book of the week list is going like this for me:

Batman
X-Men/Infinity
everything else

It was a good, good week. I'm not even mad Batman cost that much after reading it, worth every penny.

Jetman

I liked it. Pretty cool to see Bane in action. Only a 6 part series.

Soo like Knightfall minus Batman? :p

And Goddamn, the new Batman issue is fucking $6.99 - hold that line DC. I thought I was looking at a Digital Add-on copy at first. If it wasn't for Snyder/Capullo I'd have hesitated on the buy.

The number 1 they just started at with Gail Simone, #4 just came out today.

Yeah, there are a couple of Red Sonja ongoings, I believe. The one that most on Comics Gaf seem to read is listed by Diamond as Gail Simone's Red Sonja. I haven't read #4 yet but I've quite enjoyed the prior 3 issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom