• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, loved it, going to read it again.

Yeah I've read it twice and just flipped through the pages to look at the art. First comic to make me look at it so much in one day. So many Easter eggs and nods to previous bat works. I have found more since I first posted.

I even sent a tweet to Snyder and Capullo thanking them for their work and Snyder sent me a direct message saying he appreciated it. What a classy guy.

Messi

Yeah I've read it twice and just flipped through the pages to look at the art. First comic to make me look at it so much in one day. So many Easter eggs and nods to previous bat works. I have found more since I first posted.

I even sent a tweet to Snyder and Capullo thanking them for their work and Snyder sent me a direct message saying he appreciated it. What a classy guy.

That was quite nice of him to send you a message

Vibranium

Banned
I really wish Marvel would do another Blade comic, but that's never going to happen :(

Marvel NOW: Phase 3, believe ;_;

With any luck Rich Rider and Blade will make their return, if Monica Rambeau was brought back in a team book anything can happen.

The Newsorama review said go read the last few pages of Batman #17 to get a connection with #24 which I did. I don't get it though. Anyone else have any insight?

I never know which book I'm most excited to read until I have them all in my hands. This week it was Afterlife with Archie #1. What a fun book! And gorgeous. There are, like, three colours used and two of them are shadows and it's ever so lovely. I adore Francavilla's interpretation of the classic Archie characters.
We even get to see Sabrina! What they did with Dilton and Chuck was so cute! Betty and Veronica fighting, though, was tiresome.
I know it's par for the course, but still. I can't believe I ate that up as a kid.
It's always more fun when those two are friends.

Of course the end of the world would be started by fucking
Reggie.
But, ok, Hot Dog should have taken Jugdead's whole arm.
Zombies don't just bite to bite; they bite to eat, dammit. And according to the preview page for issue #2,
Jugdead growls Archies name. Zombie's talking?
But that's ok. Archie is allowed a rare pass on breaking zombie law.

I wish I'd received the Tim Seeley Hot Dog cover, but my Francavilla variant is pretty sweet, too.

I see myself riding this out to the end. If you are at all curious about the title, I encourage you to check it out.

Kindt's Suicide Squad was really entertaining. They introduced a whole new cast of characters and you have no clue what's going to happen.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, anyone else is reading "Anti-Hero"? It's written by Jay Faerber (writer of superhero books Noble Causes and Dynamo 5, and crime/noir books Near Death and Point of Impact) with art by Nate Stockman (artist of I Love Trouble).

http://www.comixology.com/Anti-Hero/comics-series/11157

Basically a low-level mobster subordinate discovers the secret identity of a superhero that has screwed his plans, leading to set him up to become his minion. So if you dig either crime or capes, I'd recommend you to take a look at this one.

sca2511

How's the paper quality for Red Sonja(Simone)? That usually helps me decide whether I'm going to trade wait a series or pick it up monthly.

tm24

So back to Battle of the atom. Few thoughts

-Wolverine/Mystique's kid is pretty great. Never would of guessed it was kitty. I mean, Xavier Jr is right there! Great job there

The revelation that iceman hulk has no brain makes me super interested in how powerful Ice Gandalf is

Im working under the belief that something happened to future jean's power and she's on some sort of Kick variant. It's just so weird. The Xorn costume has to be a hint to that

What the hell is future Hank doing teamed with the future Xmen?

Other thoughts on other books

Uncanny Xforce: Yo this book is crazy.
Cassandra being the revenent queen? Da fuq?

Captain America: I always appreciate more Nuke in my life

Infinity and Thor: YO THOR!

pa22word

Any batman fans know when Detective starts it's new run? I'm interested in picking it up but don't want to jump into an ongoing plotline.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man, you guys have GOT to be reading Deadpool. I don't even know what to say to this last chapter. It made me...sad...I teared up a bit at the end...

Also is it just me or has it been a long time since we've gotten a Superior Spider-man chapter?

Where's Rafa at? DC is gonna have Earth 2 figures, sadly there's no Hawkgirl figure though.

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-collec...ork-comic-con-toy-and-statue-debuts-nycc-2013
Hell yes!!! Thank you so much brah for looking out for me. Ill still hold out for Hawkgirl, brahs were posting like crazy when they didnt have Seaking and Deathstorm for CSA.

Ad its disappointing doesn't have their own equivalent. I would jump at Stuart Immonen style X Men, Angela, Allred FF and others.

Jetman

The Newsorama review said go read the last few pages of Batman #17 to get a connection with #24 which I did. I don't get it though. Anyone else have any insight?

Hmm, I'd say if anything it was a foreshadow to Joker evolving into something worse as he fell off the cliff in #17,
the way he turned into something much worse from Red Hood One to Joker
at the end of #24?

I didn't notice any revelatory connections though...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm, I'd say if anything it was a foreshadow to Joker evolving into something worse as he fell off the cliff in #17,
the way he turned into something much worse from Red Hood One to Joker
at the end of #24?

I didn't notice any revelatory connections though...

It was the name thing. I think. Batman threatened to reveal Joker's identity to him at the cliff scene in #17. In this month's we get
a fake out concerning Joker's name, basically confirmation that Bruce was bluffing in #17. In addition to the fact that Joker wasn't even Red Hood One like we thought he was. (Personally I think he made the switch at some point after the events of #23, the Red Hood One from this issue read slightly differently than the old one. The old one would have realized the vigilante he had been fighting and Batman were the same. He came off as smarter than the one from this issue.) I like how even in giving us a Joker origin, Snyder managed to keep absolutely everything about him a mystery.

Cap giving no Fucks infinty is so good.

Thor being a bad ass is so good

Yeah with Infinity Hickman delivers such a great epic with character moment after character moment. And the reveals keep coming (despite the FB-game spoiling a major characters background and design).

I look forward to the moment when they realize that the Builders were right about Earth and everything comes crushing down.

It was the name thing. I think. Batman threatened to reveal Joker's identity to him at the cliff scene in #17. In this month's we get
a fake out concerning Joker's name, basically confirmation that Bruce was bluffing in #17. In addition to the fact that Joker wasn't even Red Hood One like we thought he was. (Personally I think he made the switch at some point after the events of #23, the Red Hood One from this issue read slightly differently than the old one. The old one would have realized the vigilante he had been fighting and Batman were the same. He came off as smarter than the one from this issue.) I like how even in giving us a Joker origin, Snyder managed to keep absolutely everything about him a mystery.

Yeah that's the thing I got too.
Both the idea that the Joker "evolves" and that Bruce had several leads to RH1 but the Jokers background is still dark. And there were several shifts in the mannerism of RH1 since the 0 issue. And now to the point how a power outage creates the Gotham we saw in Batman 21?

Just read Batman 24, this deserves a nomination for best issue of the year.

My nominations so far:
Batman Inc 8
Hawkeye 11
Thor God of Thunder 12
Batman 24

I know I need to read more indie

Well, I'm glad I read Fear Agent. I enjoyed the last three volumes much more than the first three, especially volume 4. I thought it's pulpyness really shone with the planets they visited,
Underground cities built on lava, only accessible by flying beast haah love it
, and even the horror vibe a few of the issues had, some really great work. If there had been more planets visited like that and the horror tone of the other planet, rather than all the tetaldian/Dressite stuff, I think I would have been in love with the series. I reckon I'm just going to put them back up ebay and let someone else enjoy them for keeps. I doubt I'll ever read them again and I just got over clearing my shelves of stuff I don't absolutely love. At least I really understand Remender now, and what I like about his work and what I don't. Considering what I did like about Fear Agent, I will be giving Black Science vol. 1 a go when it arrives, seems like it might have more focus on the parts of fear agents I really thought worked.

I hope Remender provides an update on his Image series with Tocchini.

Whqt do you brahs want to see at NYCC? I'm still waiting for the elusive Shazam and Cyborg announcements. And an Angela series, don't think Disney would spend the money to have her confined to one comics superstar.

tim1138

I hope Remender provides an update on his Image series with Tocchini.

Whqt do you brahs want to see at NYCC? I'm still waiting for the elusive Shazam and Cyborg announcements. And an Angela series, don't think Disney would spend the money to have her confined to one comics superstar.

Shazam and the Others getting monthlies, whatever Johns next project is, and Ales Kot's new books.

Shazam and the Others getting monthlies, whatever Johns next project is, and Ales Kot's new books.
Alex Kot's new creator owned books were on BleedingCool. It was like a muslim pop star and one was transgender. Something like that.

And they need ro give Sterling Gates some more work. Matt Kindt this brah.

tim1138

Alex Kot's new creator owned books were on BleedingCool. It was like a muslim pop star and one was transgender. Something like that.

And they need ro give Sterling Gates some more work. Matt Kindt this brah.

I'm hoping Gates gets something spun out of that Forever Evil ARGUS mini he's writing. He does serious work with Vibe and should be writing more books. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at the Flash.

I'm hoping Gates gets something spun out of that Forever Evil ARGUS mini he's writing. He does serious work with Vibe and should be writing more books. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at the Flash.
A Flash/GL teamup book would be great give him some more Earth adventures. I'm writing the pitch now!

Yeah with Infinity Hickman delivers such a great epic with character moment after character moment. And the reveals keep coming (despite the FB-game spoiling a major characters background and design).

I look forward to the moment when they realize that the Builders were right about Earth and everything comes crushing down.

Has Hickman made up for having Dr. Strange be punked off panel?

monome

Fuck me.

Among my general DC disatisfaction I have to say Batman by Snyder/Capullo is among the best comics I've read.

#24 is superb.

Great art. Great pacing.

And I was one to bitch about the whole Year Zero thing a few months earlier.

I'm schooled.

Happily so.

The wait for American Vampire is satiated. for now...

tim1138

That's awesome, I got a similar DM from Johns after congratulating him on his GL run after issue 20 came out. I love how Twitter friendly most comics industry types are.

So back to Battle of the atom. Few thoughts

-Wolverine/Mystique's kid is pretty great. Never would of guessed it was kitty. I mean, Xavier Jr is right there! Great job there

The revelation that iceman hulk has no brain makes me super interested in how powerful Ice Gandalf is

Im working under the belief that something happened to future jean's power and she's on some sort of Kick variant. It's just so weird. The Xorn costume has to be a hint to that

What the hell is future Hank doing teamed with the future Xmen?

Other thoughts on other books

Uncanny Xforce: Yo this book is crazy.
Cassandra being the revenent queen? Da fuq?

Captain America: I always appreciate more Nuke in my life

Infinity and Thor: YO THOR!

Wait, were there Battle of the Atom issues this week?

Owzers

Getting caught up on Infinity through issue #3, Avengers #20 next. I struggle to fully get into stories based on " secrets". It's always some enemy I've never heard of that is all powerful until they are defeated and go away. And Infinity's case there is also
a secret baby of Thanos and an Inhuman that's been growing up with an Inhuman tribe and is now the most important thing ever.
Another small gripe I have is that i find the panel scene transitions to be sometimes slightly confusing as to where characters are and when.

Apart from those gripes, it definitely has my attention. And the art on that final page of Infinity #3....i thought i didn't like it , but it's so ridiculous i now do.

IrishNinja

dear comics GAF,

never read other OT threads on comics, they're apparently half terrible with comments from dudes who i think skipped the medium and just watched an arc of the 90's cartoons but feel they need to share the relevancy of these experiences

dear comics GAF,

never read other OT threads on comics, they're apparently half terrible with comments from dudes who i think skipped the medium and just watched an arc of the 90's cartoons but feel they need to share the relevancy of these experiences

It's usually Slayven or NotTheGuyYouKill who makes those threads, and I have no idea why they keep doing.

"It's the ciirrrcle, the cirrrcle of OOOOOTTTTT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom