• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

Peter Parker must be the Goblin, I can't imagine what else they could be holding on that "IS IT NORMAN!?" reveal for so long. I mean, if it is Norman, then its not much of a reveal at all.

Plus, this story is five issues and going by the two issues a month rate, will end in April. Just in time to launch that Amazing Spider-Man #1 right alongside the movie.

My bet is on Parker's mind being inside Norman's body.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm definitely going to add Elektra, Punisher, and New Warriors to my lists. Soooooo excited for New Warriors.

Drayco21

New Warriors, from Yost. Kaine and Aracely are on the team, because there is a God. Also, Not Muh Nova, Speedball, Justice and others. Hype can not be contained for this.

1381696509647.jpg

Next, the teaser for "War": Chris Yost and Marcus To will be taking on New Warriors.

Nova, Speedball, Justice, Scarlet Spider will be part of the team, as well as Sun Girl and a new Inhuman, as well as an Atlantean and a mutant. "We're assembling superheroes of all backgrounds and all races, and they've all been deemed a threat," Amanat said. "They must protect the people that they love."

What is the purpose of the New Warriors when we have a powerful team like the Avengers? Amanat said that would be discussed in the book. "It's about these kids coming together and getting to know each other and exploring who they can become outside of the Avengers." Wacker said the vibe of this book was around Marv Wolfman's Teen Titans and Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways. It's due out in February.

WHAT

hyped. this was my team back in the day. But someone, please, bring back Night Thrasher. You did it for bucky, you can do it for him.

edit: ugh, and it's new nova? what the hell.

Sandfox

New Warriors, from Yost. Kaine and Aracely are on the team, because there is a God. Also, Not Muh Nova, Speedball, Justice and others. Hype can not be contained for this.

That team is so good...

Scarlet Spider
Hummingbird
Justice
Speedball
Sun Girl
Nova

and two character's I don't recognize

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

they couldnt get the other night thrasher for this? the fuck marvel

Parallax

Donyell has always been D-list. Bring back Dwayne or no sale.

a night thrasher is better than none at all. i like dwayne and his duster coatcostume before he died, but if they cant figure a way to bring him back. they could have put donyell in there...

now that i think about it... i wonder if spider hero is dwayne.

ghostmind

The Newsarama interview has Yost saying that Namorita is trapped in the Cancerverse and Rich is dead, but that isn't correct. Namorita died at the start of Civil War, only for a younger version of her to be taken from the time stream during Realm of Kings. Rich is still stuck in the Cancerverse, but then again Starlord and Thanos are back so wtf.

Drayco21

The Newsarama interview has Yost saying that Namorita is trapped in the Cancerverse and Rich is dead, but that isn't correct. Namorita died at the start of Civil War, only for a younger version of her to be taken from the time stream during one of the last cosmic events. Rich is still stuck in the Cancerverse, but then again Starlord is back so wtf.

In before New Warriors has a story arc
where they find and recover their old buddy, and Dick Rider becomes the new Nova's mentor.

We can dream, right?

a night thrasher is better than none at all. i like dwayne and his duster coatcostume before he died, but if they cant figure a way to bring him back. they could have put donyell in there...

now that i think about it... i wonder if spider hero is dwayne.

probably not. It's comics though. Everyone and their grandmother gets brought back through nonsense storylines, given a long enough timeline.

Isn't Infinity going on right now? Dwayne wasn't really dead, just in suspended hibernation due to his as yet unmentioned Inhuman genes! Night Thrasher busts from his grave-cocoon in New Warriors #1, powers fully developed.

I take check OR money order for that one, Marvel.

Oh, and who is the "atlantean?" They can't breathe outside of water for long, iirc, with the exception of namor and namorita. Why not just use her? unless it IS her with a wack redesign.

Parallax

The Newsarama interview has Yost saying that Namorita is trapped in the Cancerverse and Rich is dead, but that isn't correct. Namorita died at the start of Civil War, only for a younger version of her to be taken from the time stream during Realm of Kings. Rich is still stuck in the Cancerverse, but then again Starlord and Thanos are back so wtf.

how the fuck did the former happen? and if they killed rich off, ill be ever so pissed

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Namorita wasn't in the Cancerverse I think. She even mourned him when he didn't come back. Can we please have clarity on what happened post Thanos Imperative already?

New Punisher book by the activity team is super exciting, definitely will be giving that a shot. Hope it brings back some threads from Rucka's run. That is probably the most exciting marvel announcement of them all for me. Gerads art is going to kill the punisher's world.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yost: Well, Thrasher and Richard Rider are dead, Namorita is, I believe, trapped in the Cancer-verse, and Firestar… is occupied.

Okay, he's just wrong then.

Yeah, they're relaunching Captain Marvel, and taking her into Marvel Cosmic from here on.

Great news. I love the character, but I thought her current series lost steam somewhere after the second arc. I'm excited about Marvel's decision to put a bigger focus on the cosmic stuff from here on.

Vibranium

Banned
WHAT

hyped. this was my team back in the day. But someone, please, bring back Night Thrasher. You did it for bucky, you can do it for him.

edit: ugh, and it's new nova? what the hell.

New/Fake Nova was expected as was this New Warriors book, I won't be picking it up anyways but sometimes it's best to keep your expectations low. But man, I'm getting tired of waiting to see if Winter Soldier solo will be announced or not so I'm one to talk haha....

EDIT: What the hell? Yost is saying Rich is dead? Ok, screw him, in my mind he's just trapped and waiting to come out of the Cancerverse the sooner Marvel Studios make a Rider Nova movie. Seriously though, I like Chris but saying that pissed me off a ton, I already hate his Battle Scars mini with a passion for giving the world the ugly grunt that is non-Fury.

Eldren

1381696868.jpg

Amanat added that Del Mundo is doing things with the interior art that she's never seen before, and that Elektra's costume will remain the same -- though they're "covering up her butt a little bit."

Loving these pieces of cover art. New Punisher and Elektra series sound cool (especially if they're tweaking Elektra's costume, which always bugged me) and New Warriors too! The only NW I've read was the Zeb Wells/Skottie Young arc that led into Civil War which was excellent. Now we just have to hope they manage to recruit Dick Rider The Only Nova as a replacement for Nova In Name Only. This whole Cancerverse-maybe-but-also-maybe-not dance is frustrating.

Only thing that makes me go "huh" out of all this is somehow they put through a new black widow book, a new punisher book, an elektra book, an iron patriot book...and no winter soldier ongoing. I know he's there in invaders but eh. Guess they're saving him for all new all new marvel now closer to the movie release. The iron patriot team would have been great too.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh man, the new Elektra and Punisher series are going straight into my pull list, can't freaking wait. Man I love Marvel assassins, that doesn't reflect off me though. :p

No Winter Soldier sucks, but I'll settle for these two awesome books instead. Buck will be in All-New Invaders so I'm excited either way. I hope he does get his own book closer to Cap 2's release though.

Village

i'm sorry but there was annoucement a while ago, and I happened to be asleep while it happened.

Could I by chance get an explination

Vibranium

Banned
I have to say, I'm glad they're moving Frank out to the West Coast, a change of scenery was something I had said he needed and it'll help expand the universe a little more. Didn't Cole-Alves go out there too??? That means he could run into her again which is also great! NotTheGuyYouKill will be thrilled.

i'm sorry but there was annoucement a while ago, and I happened to be asleep while it happened.

Could I by chance get an explination

Bleeding Cool has the details, but a Captain Marvel relaunch, New Warriors, Punisher and Elektra series were announced by Marvel.

Vibranium

Banned
Where there is the one i will preemptively care more about than the others.

Huh, unfortunate you don't like those characters, but that was the end of teasers.

You could try picking up the relaunch of Secret Avengers with Marvel's "true hero of Earth, Nick Fury Jr, a character with layers never explored before".

/sarcasm

Decided against SA since Bucky won't be showing up anymore and it'll probably stay pretty underwhelming even with Kot. I can't believe he actually said Junior is an interesting character on CBR, Alonso must have threatened to fire him if he didn't promote the guy.

Village

Huh, unfortunate you don't like those characters, but that was the end of teasers.

You could try picking up the relaunch of Secret Avengers with Marvel's "true hero of Earth, Nick Fury Jr, a character with layers never explored before".

/sarcasm

Decided against SA since Bucky won't be showing up anymore and it'll probably stay pretty underwhelming even with Kot.

I didnt say I didn't like them( excited for Marvel and the warriors, but who gives a shite about electra), just going in I am gonna give more of the crap about the punisher, epically because he last run was so awesome, but got canned.

I am sure the others will be great, I just care more about frank going in.

Vibranium

Banned
I didnt say I didn't like them( excited for Marvel and the warriors, but who gives a shite about electra), just going in I am gonna give more of the crap about the punisher, epically because he last run was so awesome, but got canned.

I am sure the others will be great, I just care more about frank going in.

Oh, you are a Punisher fan, good man! Frank out in the West Coast is going to be great, plus Rachel from Rucka's run could come back too.

And lots of people actually care about Elektra, there's a lot of female fans out there who don't post on message boards. But I don't mean that in a mean way, enjoy what you like!

Uh Did you guys see Dan Didio had a special tribute to himself at NYCC today and he talked about his "bold vision" that "saved DC"?

http://www.newsarama.com/19231-nycc-2013-sunday-conversation-with-dan-didio-live.html

Here are some choice quotes:

"The conversation then moved to Grant Morrison's successes, particularly Seven Soldiers and All-Star Superman. The challenge for All-Star Superman in particular was to come up with a Superman story that was actually relevant. "I wasn't a huge fan of Grant's work, believe it or not," DiDio said, saying he did not buy Morrison's landmark run on JLA because he didn't like the electric blue version of Superman. "

"The conversation then went to the New 52. "It constantly had to reboot for one reason - Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman really can't change. We built a generational universe in DC - Green Lantern, the Flash, we built this generational universe, but we're not going to make Nightwing Batman forever. So they got older and older with all these characters around them... it felt like a missed opportunity," DiDio said. "75 years of storytelling? It can't be told together. So we have to restart a little bit."

Fuck this guy

""There are rules and there are exceptions," "When we speak, we have to speak in generalities... we're telling superhero stories. When comics were at their biggest peak, the personal lives of the characters were at their smallest. I don't want to read a book about a marriage. What I want to read is how people are trying to balance all the aspects of their lives," DiDio said. "There has to be a sacrifice to being a hero - if not, why isn't everyone in this room going out and saving somebody from a burning building?""

We already have this book you idiot it's called Spider-Man

Vibranium

Banned
Uh Did you guys see Dan Didio had a special tribute to himself at NYCC today and he talked about his "bold vision" that "saved DC"?

http://www.newsarama.com/19231-nycc-2013-sunday-conversation-with-dan-didio-live.html

Here is a choice quote:

"The conversation then moved to Grant Morrison's successes, particularly Seven Soldiers and All-Star Superman. The challenge for All-Star Superman in particular was to come up with a Superman story that was actually relevant. "I wasn't a huge fan of Grant's work, believe it or not," DiDio said, saying he did not buy Morrison's landmark run on JLA because he didn't like the electric blue version of Superman. "

"The conversation then went to the New 52. "It constantly had to reboot for one reason - Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman really can't change. We built a generational universe in DC - Green Lantern, the Flash, we built this generational universe, but we're not going to make Nightwing Batman forever. So they got older and older with all these characters around them... it felt like a missed opportunity," DiDio said. "75 years of storytelling? It can't be told together. So we have to restart a little bit."

Fuck this guy

What a classy dude. He dissed some of the work that a former top-tier DC writer put his heart and soul into, talk about lack of professionalism. DiDio should just go away for a while and reflect on the fact that comics will never be as big as movies or videogames, then let some of that hot air out of his bald head. People liked Dick Grayson as Batman, it's not hard to explain.

Village

Oh, you are a Punisher fan, good man! Frank out in the West Coast is going to be great, plus Rachel from Rucka's run could come back too.

And lots of people actually care about Elektra, there's a lot of female fans out there who don't post on message boards. But I don't mean that in a mean way, enjoy what you like!

* there are people who care about elektra,*

post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-PnJ4.gif

well thats.... ok well, sure like what you like.

ComicGAF, lets all pitch together so we can afford Steranko Artist's Edition. We'll take turns reading/admiring/giggling like a school girl while it sits nicely on our book shelf, shipping and handling included

sca2511

Have you checked out Marve's series of Oz books by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young? I have the first 4 and they're brilliant. They're adaptations of the original novels with utterly gorgeous art by Young and coloured by Jean-Francois Beaulieu, who is just perfect for the series. I think they'd be ideal for reading with your kid. The only downside is that it's collected as one long story with no breaks where an issue would end, which would have made convenient chapter breaks.

If you've not had a look, they might be worth trying. Here's one of my favourite covers:

Yeah it'd be interesting if he was telling a giant espionage story in two books. I just want to see all the announcements to be honest, I feel like there's still quite a bit we don't know about.
Been wanting to get the Oz books

Deprive

Peter Parker must be the Goblin, I can't imagine what else they could be holding on that "IS IT NORMAN!?" reveal for so long. I mean, if it is Norman, then its not much of a reveal at all.

Plus, this story is five issues and going by the two issues a month rate, will end in April. Just in time to launch that Amazing Spider-Man #1 right alongside the movie.

Always thought that since they showed his bed empty in that one issue.

Wonder how long that Yost New Warriors is gonna last.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm glad that Superior Spider-Man happened, but I'm also glad it got an ending date. It's still a very good comic, but the whole "it's spiderman, except now he is an asshole" gets a little bit more stale every month.

Owzers

Nothing was announced that really blew me away...considering i'm already buying too many books. What exactly is ending that will make room for all these books? Fantastic Four/FF, but Fantastic Four is rumored to be starting up soon with Robinson. At least i'll have a lot to read on Marvel Unlimited presuming they continue to do decent updates, which they've stopped this last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom