• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there any Ultimate Universe news at all??

Cataclysm was very briefly bought up in one panel

Ultimate Universe event "Cataclysm," which starts with "Ultimate Comics Cataclysm" #0.1. "This is an event that we've talked about for a while," Paniccia said. "It's a really good story. I understand why we're doing it." Paniccia then acted visibly despondent -- likely playing on the story's tease that it might be the end of the Ultimate Universe -- and walked off the panel, seemingly convincing a good amount of fans in the crowd.

"That was Ultimate sadness," Slott quipped.

Didn't there used to be an Ultimate Panel?

damn! Is Batgirl story skipping another month for the Zero Hour stuff? Glad I saved it for last, I still have my digitals to read though I forgot about them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cataclysm was very briefly bought up in one panel

Didn't there used to be an Ultimate Panel?

Probably, but what's the point of having a panel for something that's going extinct in a few months.

I love that Captain Marvel news, she always did seem a bit overpowered for the stuff going on planet-side.

Also the Slott/Aldred interview about their Silver Surfer book makes me excited for it, well more than I already was. If you haven't read it they are taking a Doctor Who style approach to exploring the unknown parts of the 616.

Can't believe they are getting end of ultimate universe all because of what fucking Loeb did almost ten years ago. At one point the ultimate line was more profitable than the 616 books. Such a damn shame.

The original concept of it being a realistic take on a super hero universe in a post 9/11 world was so good.

kswiston

Also the Slott/Aldred interview about their Silver Surfer book makes me excited for it, well more than I already was. If you haven't read it they are taking a Doctor Who style approach to exploring the unknown parts of the 616.

I would be more excited if Slott wasn't writing, but I fully see why people are digging that announcement.

As for Comics coming out in the near future, here is my list for the week:

- Justice League of America #8
- Avengers #21
- Hawkeye #13
- New Avengers #11
- Uncanny X-Men #13

I'm looking forward to Hawkeye and New Avengers the most, but it looks to be a decent, if light, week.

Deprive

Can't believe they are getting end of ultimate universe all because of what fucking Loeb did almost ten years ago. At one point the ultimate line was more profitable than the 616 books. Such a damn shame.

The original concept of it being a realistic take on a super hero universe in a post 9/11 world was so good.

Damn shame but can't blame it all on Loeb. Millar brought the feel of ultimate into the 616 with Civil War. Also too many bad stories in Ulti FF4 and X-Men.

Gonna miss it when it's gone. But they'll probably try something like it again, a decade from now.

Parch

Blame Ultimatum. It was a train wreck and the turning point.

Pretty good run for the Ultimate Universe though. I really enjoyed some of the older stuff.

ultimatum was indeed shit, but the books actually got a bit better afterwards. i mean pre-ultimatum x-men was no worse than afterwards! we had that terrible drug-addict colossus storyline. post-ultimatum spidey was the best it had been in years and the most recent reboot has had an awesome x-men book.

pls save ultimate x-men!

Parch

They'll find a way to move some of the characters from the Ultimate Universe to 616. It's a good excuse to have another event.

Do any of you have books you don't like but can't drop? I often feel bored or irritated reading Watson and Holmes (Paradigm Studios) but can't bring myself to let it go.

I should say; I'm not a fan of mystery in general. Or any of this puzzle piecing suspenseful stuff. I get impatient. I just want to know what happens already. So that is no doubt part of why I don't thoroughly enjoy W&H. But I do have affection for the title characters.

but with a current version of teen jean, they aren't going to bring the psychotic ruler of a floating city/cult leader, young adult jean from ultimate.

and that's a shame.

ultimate jean = best jean ever.

Do any of you have books you don't like but can't drop? I often feel bored or irritated reading Watson and Holmes (Paradigm Studios) but can't bring myself to let it go.

I should say; I'm not a fan of mystery in general. Or any of this puzzle piecing suspenseful stuff. I get impatient. I just want to know what happens already. So that is no doubt part of why I don't thoroughly enjoy W&H. But I do have affection for the title characters.

Just do it. I've got a similar problem, but there are some books that I always find myself reading last on any particular week they come out due to the fact that I'm not all that interested in reading them. When that happens, it's time to drop them.

but with a current version of teen jean, they aren't going to bring the psychotic ruler of a floating city/cult leader, young adult jean from ultimate.

and that's a shame.

ultimate jean = best jean ever.

Is there a specific arc you'd recommend to those with interest in the Ultimate Jean character? Just start at the beginning or ..?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ultimate universe died because you jerks don't read ultimate x-men.

no, it died because they let a mourning madman shape the future of an already old concept, and he preceeded to just poison the shit out of it. its been on on its last legs for a while.

Never read any New Warriors but if Kaine is there, i'm down. Scarlet Spider livin' on!

I might give Cap Marvel another shot if David Lopez is doing the art

NYCC 2013: Superior Spider-Man & Friends - LIVE!

In March, Kelly Sue Deconnick and David Lopez will be relaunching Captain Marvel. "Higher - literally. We're taking her cosmic," DeConnick said. "You know that moment in the song 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'? 'I done told you once you son of a gun, I'm the best that ever been.' That's Carol."

Uh-uh, Kelly Sue. I recall you saying that Captain Marvel was gonna be cosmic last time. I don't want to start picking up Captain Marvel again and feel burned again.

damn i can't wait for Sandman Overture to come out. J.H. William's art looks amazing

Sandman-Overture-CV1_SOLICIT_sxvqsdoynu_.jpg

SNDM_Cv2_text_jn7u38r4m1__0.jpg

Also, really, Slott? Asked on a scale from Optimus Prime to Uncle Ben, how dead is Peter Parker... and you say "Uncle Ben"? Now I understand you have your vision and everything like that, but the likelihood of Peter being "Uncle Ben dead" are pretty low.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, really, Slott? Asked on a scale from Optimus Prime to Uncle Ben, how dead is Peter Parker... and you say "Uncle Ben"? Now I understand you have your vision and everything like that, but the likelihood of Peter being "Uncle Ben dead" are pretty low.

You have to understand, he trolls hard when it comes to this. Remember issue 9? Swear to god that's how almost any other writer would have brought him back and yet here we are.

Vibranium

Banned
As long as Ultimate Cap dies, bringing in some U characters is all good with me. Miles is welcome in 616, I could see him being put into Young Avengers maybe. Though I wonder if they would have him live with Peter (when he comes back) if the rest of Miles' family/friends die as a result of Cataclysm, that could be cool even if some people would object to something like that. I think YA would realistically be the place Marvel put him though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As long as Ultimate Cap dies, bringing in some U characters is all good with me. Miles is welcome in 616, I could see him being put into Young Avengers maybe. Though I wonder if they would have him live with Peter (when he comes back) if the rest of Miles' family/friends die as a result of Cataclysm, that could be cool even if some people would object to something like that. I think YA would realistically be the place Marvel put him though.

Considering he's Bendis's character it's more likely they put him with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones if they don't go with the YA.

Vibranium

Banned
Considering he's Bendis's character it's more likely they put him with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones if they don't go with the YA.

Mmm, I'd like to see someone else write him but since he's Bendis' baby you're right. Loeb did let Dead Son Nova go to Wells though, so stranger things have happened. EDIT: The below post could be true, I could see Bendis doing that.

No Winter Soldier on-going huh? Fuck it, I don't need Bucky anyway

these feels fam :(

No worries man, we'll just bomb Robinson with emails to give Bucky lots of panel time in All-New-Invaders.

But yeah, between him being DLC in the Lego Marvel Superheroes game and this it kinda sucks. We must have hope though that once Marvel starts plugging The Winter Soldier movie they'll resurrect the book, if it happened to Rhodey it can happen to Bucky.

SRG01

I'm almost certain that the costumed Spidey in Mighy Avengers is an older verison of Miles. Who else can it be?

I'm almost certain that the costumed Spidey in Mighy Avengers is an older verison of Miles. Who else can it be?

I thought everyone was saying it was a new Ronin?

Edit:
The Wikipedia page for Mighty Avengers actually says it's Miles, but it's Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sblargh

Banned
wait waht?? Superior is ending??

That's what I understood from the panel. He's not saying it explicitly, but I think that signs point to Goblin Nation being the last Superior arc.

Edit: I don't know about the guy inthe Mighty Avengers, but yeah, if that's one character they would want to save from the end of the Ultimate Universe, then it's Miles Morales. He's too loved at this point to not only die, but to die in a way his entire universe is erased so he can never ever come back.

Cheebo

Banned
As far as I can tell the entire Ultimate line will be gone except for Miles who Marvel is heavily hinting will be the lone survivor and come to the 616 universe.

Well, my marvel books dropped down to just Hawkeye after Rucka's Punisher & Winter Soldier went away. Will safely be adding Edmondson/Gerad's Punisher alongside. Secret Avengers has a shot, but I'll need to try out Kot's writing first. Black Widow, I know the writing will be solid, but I want to see the kind of style Noto is going for.

Interesting announcements from marvel, would be interested to see how many of the books they announced this year at NYCC will still be around in a years time.

I'll be checking out both Punisher and Black Widow. Edmundson is perfect for those books.

I'll probably also pick up Iron Patriot, but only for Ales Kot.

So the only new book from DC is Batman: Eternal? Damn was hoping for a Shazam solo or something.
Yeah, but it's a weekly though so it's like they announced four books in one fell swoop!

Truthfully, DC probably doesn't want to announce books and risk spoiling the end of their big event. Expect a whole slew of reveals in a couple months' time, that start with "spinning out of the events of 'Forever Evil'..."

Animal Man #24
Batman And Two-Face #24
Batman Superman #4
Batwoman #24
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #1
Green Lantern New Guardians #24
Justice League Of America #8
Supergirl #24
Trinity Of Sin Pandora #4

Avengers #21
Fantastic Four #13
Indestructible Hulk Special #1
New Avengers #11
Superior Spider-Man #19
Uncanny X-Men #13

yea

Wait, so for Earth 2 Batman is
is he Thomas Wayne or Thomas Wayne Jr? that has to mess with that Batman's origin. And i sont like how Nicola said some plots will be tied up quickly, sounds like they are sweeping Robinson's run.

tim1138

Wait, so for Earth 2 Batman is
is he Thomas Wayne or Thomas Wayne Jr? that has to mess with that Batman's origin. And i sont like how Nicola said some plots will be tied up quickly, sounds like they are sweeping Robinson's run.

The tweet that spoiled it said
Thomas Wayne. Considering the fact it uses the same color scheme as Flashpoint Bats, I'm guessing it's Bruce's dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom