• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of cool Marvel stuff, most excited about Avengers Undercover. Arena has been so great, Hopeless can have my monies.

So many questions from the teaser alone:
How did the kids survive? How are Cullen and Aiden going to get on post-Nara and axe-to-the-chest? Is Hazmat cured? How did she survive X-23 and being all leaky and shit? Cammi's in the book but not the teaser, where is she? What of doughnuts? WHAAAT? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOPELESS, TELL ME!

List

Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #1 (Dark Horse)
Buzzkill #2 (Dark Horse)
100 Penny Press Thunder Agents Classic (IDW)
Zero #2 (Image)
Sheltered #4 (Image)
Imagine Agents #1 (Boom!)
Six Gun Gorilla #5 (Boom!)

Little Prince vinyl fig (early grab Christmas gift for my sweetheart)

Skottie young marvelman variant

Miracleman_1_Young_Variant.jpg

The third printing of IDW's sky pirate adventure mini-series Wild Blue Yonder issues #1 and #2 will be released on Wednesday. You can read the first 9 pages of issue #1 here. The preview gives you an indication as to the plot, but unfortunately leaves out the swooping through the clouds action sequences that I most enjoy about the series.

The third printing of IDW's sky pirate adventure mini-series Wild Blue Yonder issues #1 and #2 will be released on Wednesday. You can read the first 9 pages of issue #1 here. The preview gives you an indication as to the plot, but unfortunately leaves out the swooping through the clouds action sequences that I most enjoy about the series.

Looks interesting. If it's only a 5-issue mini, though, I'll just trade-wait it. I don't really wanna spend $3.99/issue when it's going to read better in trade format anyhow.

Ordered Batman Inc. volume 1 (new 52) tonight on a whim. Morrison isn't my favourite writer, and I'm not ashamed to say I find myself at times totally confused as to what I'm even reading with his stuff. But hey ho, I've read all the rest of it from the beginning of batman and son and I may as well see
how Damian dies
. Death of the family coming out in trade soon and arkham origins has got me on such a batman kick, looking at all sort sof bat junk on amazon, trying to reign it in to stuff that is decent at least. Hopefully I enjoy it,

Acid08

Banned
If I'm reading it right, Layman said on Twitter that Chew #59 will be the last?

Edit- 60 will be the last confirmed.

I thought we knew that from when Image confirmed Issue #30 as the halfway point of the series?

Freeze is correct. It said in 30 that the series was halfway done. Personally, I think it's great that they have a story to tell from beginning to end planned out. Plenty more Chew to come.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Big week for me this week. List ahoy!

Hawkeye #13
Superior Spider-Man #19
Wonder Woman #24

Batman and Robin #24
Batwoman #24
Fables #134
Fantastic Four #13
Indestructible Hulk Special #1
Kick-Ass 3 #5
Nowhere Men #6
Uncanny X-Men #13

Eldren

I sadly missed out on Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider glory days, I am not missing this.

That's actually the only Ghost Rider I've read. I bought the omnibus randomly, kind of a spur of the moment thing, but I really enjoyed it. It's a good read. It has the kind of art I think of when I think of GR - dusty, dirty, gritty - which makes me all the more excited for the new series, because I love Tradd's really odd style.

-----

On the Chew thing, 60 feels like a perfect number. Scalped ran for 60 as well, right? That's 5 years, with a story planned out well in advance. I bet it'll be a great finale.

doniewhalberg, I added volumes 1 & 2 of The Activity to my Amazon basket after hearing you mention that series. I really liked the preview, so I expect I'll like it. They seem like a great choice for a new Punisher book.

doniewhalberg, I added volumes 1 & 2 of The Activity to my Amazon basket after hearing you mention that series. I really liked the preview, so I expect I'll like it. They seem like a great choice for a new Punisher book.

They are really good. My only gripes areeee the release schedule totally dried up for awhile, and I have no idea what the punisher job will do to the series, likely put it on hiatus. Annnnd while there are vague plot threads linked through the series, it is far more on the one and done trajectory than anything else, which is cool, but harder to invest in (that is a very personal thing though, I like there to be a *point* to a series, and it took me awhile to accept that with this series).

I say these things though to be honest and not set you up for something they are not. Those things said, the series is absolutely brilliant. Clever, informative, intense. the good thing is Edmondson and Gerads are completely capable of making a one and done work pacing wise and putting across a theme or *point* in one issue. Gerads art and particularly his colors are amazing. The colors on the series take it into the next level.

Overall, I really really do recommend the series (especially how cheap the trades are, why not) and both my *gripes* are effectively negated by having two whole trades to rampage through at your own pace. I believe they will shock people with the punisher. Whether it'll get sales, I don't know, but I expect it to be very high up critics lists if they can keep a mnothly schedule. I'd say that has been the number one issue with the activity's momentum as a great new book and getting the attention it deserves.

Eldren

The Activity.

Hmm, those two gripes seem like things I could live with. The release schedule isn't too big a deal because I have a massive backlog anyway haha. And I quite like the idea of a series of one-shots. Kind of like a procedural tv show or something. I definitely noticed the colours in the previews I read, I thought the art was really great. I love the covers especially, how the page is split in two by the gun outline, with the art up top and the title below. Very cool.

Hopefully working on a Big Two title will help keep them on schedule haha.

devenger

Does anyone know if Marvel is reprinting the entirety of Miracleman or just Gaiman's run? I can't get verification anywhere, and the io9 blurb makes it sound like they're just doing the latter issues.

Eldren

Does anyone know if Marvel is reprinting the entirety of Miracleman or just Gaiman's run? I can't get verification anywhere, and the io9 blurb makes it sound like they're just doing the latter issues.

According to this article, Alan Moore's issues are being reprinted too. Is that what you meant? I don't know anything about Miracleman but I just saw this article on tumblr so hopefully it helps.

sol_bad

Listy Mclist List

Avengers #21 - Inf
Guardians Of Galaxy #7
Hawkeye #13
New Avengers #11 - Inf
Superior Spider-Man #19
Uncanny X-Men #13
Animal Man #24
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #1 (of 6)
Justice League Of America #8 - (evil)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
DC's January solicitations

Random notable things:

* The Green Team: Teen Trillionaires is cancelled after 8 issues.
* James Tynion IV has left Talon, #14 in December is his last issue. Marguerite Bennet writes #15 as a one-shot flashback.
* A bunch of the Bat books get roped into yet another event called Gothtopia.
* The Strange Adventures and Mystery in Space giant-sized one-shots get collected in trade in February.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Random notable things:

* James Tynion IV has left Talon, #14 in December is his last issue. Marguerite Bennet writes #15 as a one-shot flashback.
* The Strange Adventures and Mystery in Space giant-sized one-shots get collected in trade in February.

That's a damn shame, he's been doing good work on that book. On the bright side apparently Bennet's one-shot is about an African-american Talon during the Civil War. Can you say undead Django?

Also what the fuck is Gothtopia? (Thank god Snyder and Capullo are still in the past with Zero Year)

Vibranium

Banned
Welp, I guess I should post my NYCC stuff I want for my pull list:

Locks for numerous issues:

The Punisher
Black Widow
Elektra (Zeb Wells is the man, so the writing is pretty much guaranteed to be solid).

Might check out on Day 1
Ghost Rider (I'll wait for reviews and impressions, I decided to play it safe)
Iron Patriot (I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the first issue, we'll see how it goes from there).

I'm calling it now brahs, Nathan Edmondson will be a rising comics superstar, just you wait.

Weekly List

Invincible #106
Hawkguy #13
Superior Spider-Man #19
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11

Random notable things:

No Superman Unchained...

Batman/Superman getting Semi-Annuals?

Dan

That's a damn shame, he's been doing good work on that book. On the bright side apparently Bennet's one-shot is about an African-american Talon during the Civil War. Can you say undead Django?
It's during the 1920s, not the Civil War. At least Tynion's departure was apparently planned. He says his stuff reaches an endpoint.

Also what the fuck is Gothtopia? (Thank god Snyder and Capullo are still in the past with Zero Year)
I have no idea.

"Also in this issue, John Layman and Jason Fabok kick off the new storyline “GOTHTOPIA”! It’s a bright, shiny, happy place where dreams come true...as long as you don’t look at things too closely."

Tie-ins include Catwoman, Batwing, Birds of Prey and Batgirl. Sounds like a way to keep a bunch of books from finding their own voice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's during the 1920s, not the Civil War. At least Tynion's departure was apparently planned. He says his stuff reaches an endpoint.

I have no idea.

"Also in this issue, John Layman and Jason Fabok kick off the new storyline “GOTHTOPIA”! It’s a bright, shiny, happy place where dreams come true...as long as you don’t look at things too closely."

Tie-ins include Catwoman, Batwing, Birds of Prey and Batgirl. Sounds like a way to keep a bunch of books from finding their own voice.

Ahh, I must have miss-read. Not as much fun then.

I'm going to skip Gothtopia looks like.

Owzers

dc of note, unrandom:

Unwritten relaunch is 3.99
FBP vol 1 trade for 9.99
Batman Lil Gotham vol 1 12.99

Detective Comics #27 features another batman origin story retelling, i might skip that partially because of origin overload.

arkon

dc of note, unrandom:

Unwritten relaunch is 3.99
FBP vol 1 trade for 9.99
Batman Lil Gotham vol 1 12.99

Detective Comics #27 features another batman origin story retelling, i might skip that partially because of origin overload.

Not just that. It's apparently collecting issues 1-7, set for sale a month after issue 7 is solicited for. Gotta be a mistake.

Not just that. It's apparently collecting issues 1-7, set for sale a month after issue 7 is solicited for. Gotta be a mistake.

It could be, but just to add something, Snyder did say recently they were going to be going just that with the wake vol.1, as an "experiment", probably extending it along the vertigo line so they can collate a decent amount of data on whether single issue sales drop, trade sales go up depending on how quick they print the trade after storyline completion. I hope their numbers lead to much quicker trade releases, or at least dependable dates.

And wtf, Tynion off Talon. After spending like 2 weeks debating whether I trusted him enough to buy the first trade, I could be looknig at volume 2 then a dif. writer? Ugggh. I always burn myself with superhero comics like this ha. EDIT: Haha, no way. Just searched who Marguerite Bennett ‏is...she;'s another of Snyder's pupils! Still kind of annoyed since I have no idea if that means she'll be a good writer or not either and fortunately I dug Tynion's Talon stuff, but just ha at it being another Snyder protege. Feels like he's seeding a hostile takeover at DC, be it his friends or pupils.

tim1138

Random notable things:

The most notable absence is Vibe. The dream is dead.

Yeah, I hope their data show more people will catch up with runs and start buying single issues when they catch up. It's not like they make money on people searching for back issues for stories they want to catch up on.

Dan

Couple bits from this Newsarama interview with Scott Snyder:
* A second American Vampire anthology is in the works, possibly won't materialize until after the first arc of the series' return.
* We should expect another Vertigo mini/maxi-series from Snyder after The Wake.

Or... they're going to give Image's schedule a try... hahahaha, nah, this is DC, probably a mistake.

It could be, but just to add something, Snyder did say recently they were going to be going just that with the wake vol.1, as an "experiment", probably extending it along the vertigo line so they can collate a decent amount of data on whether single issue sales drop, trade sales go up depending on how quick they print the trade after storyline completion. I hope their numbers lead to much quicker trade releases, or at least dependable dates.
The Wake thing is slightly different, because it's not a trade, just a giant-sized floppy. I think, that was my reading of the solicitation. It was in the floppy section of the solicitations, and didn't have any mention of being a trade, unlike the other obvious trades.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And wtf, Tynion off Talon. After spending like 2 weeks debating whether I trusted him enough to buy the first trade, I could be looknig at volume 2 then a dif. writer? Ugggh. I always burn myself with superhero comics like this ha.

He'd still be on volume 2 and maybe 3. After that he's off. The trades are WAY behind the single issues.

arkon

If they are going that route then that's a good thing. This is DC though, so I assumed the worst case scenario :p

The Wake thing is slightly different, because it's not a trade, just a giant-sized floppy. I think, that was my reading of the solicitation. It was in the floppy section of the solicitations, and didn't have any mention of being a trade, unlike the other obvious trades.

Maybe that's the case man. I was gonig by this:

And there's also the first "Wake" trade collection coming out soon.

The format is something different from Vertigo, which I'm excited about. After the first five issues, they're going to release the collected edition immediately. So you should not trade wait on this book, because that is evil. [Laughs]

After you read and pick up the first five issues, then you'll be able to buy the trade, which I'm excited about because it's a story broken into two parts that all comes together in the end in a way I hope people find as surprising and satisfying as Sean and I do. It's exciting to see it get collected so quickly and use that format where you can buy issues and pick it up, then start on the second half and pick up the second half.

They discuss it as a trade on both sides there so I just assumed ha. He does use the word format a little stranglely, I kind of read it as platform. I hope it's the trade, I'm excited for it ha! Link is here: Click

He'd still be on volume 2 and maybe 3. After that he's off. The trades are WAY behind the single issues.

Uggggh haha. I added a bit to my prior comment but just ugggh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom