• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

If you like crime comics it really is an absolute peak in his work. I love everything else he does, but Criminal takes the cake. Fatale opens itself to some super tough competition by delving into the horror genre (Locke and Key & American Vampire, I'm looking at you) but Criminal is peerless compared to other crime books. EDIT: Ahhh, and then I remember Scalped. Okay ,well, Scalped gives Criminal a run for its money, but both are doing very different things. Scalped is an epic 10 vol. opus, Criminal manages to nail you to the wall every time with the space of 4-5 issues.

Personally, I would leave Incognito for if you ever manage to get through the rest of his stuff and your violently craving more, it just never clicked for me on the same level as the rest.

I don't think I've actually properly read any crime comics so I don't know if I like them! I have the first two volumes of Scalped on my shelf and I've read issue #1 which I really liked so I guess that counts for something. Hmm, maybe I'll dive into Criminal soon then, you've definitely piqued my interest!

-----

Tradd Moore drawing Ghost Rider! Mr & Mrs Allred drawing Silver Surfer! A James Rhodes solo book! Man, all of that stuff is just awesome news. Can't wait to see some art from Ghost Rider, I really hope Tradd gets matched up with a suitable colourist. Wait, if the Allreds are on Surfer, does that mean they're off FF? I don't know any artists working on two books at once.

Holy cow, I'm going to pick up Ghost Rider and Iron Patriot so badly, can't wait. Silver Surfer sounds awesome too, I'll have to make some serious choices on my pull list. I called Overdrive, god I'm so happy GR is back (I don't care if it's not Blaze since a new character sounds great, I know Johnny's in Thunderbolts now though).

Has the "Assassin" teaser been revealed yet? Even if Bucky isn't getting his own book (which I'm ok with) I'd just like confirmation.

These will be announced tomorrow

91MDFpu.jpg
CUHwoN1.jpg
OxOKAOM.jpg
W2BuMSj.jpg
bMdgQIl.jpg

tim1138

Manhattan Projects is so good I double dipped and got volumes 1 and 2 of the tpb's today. Oppenheimer Prime would be proud. HMMMMM.

Acid08

Banned
Manhattan Projects is so good I double dipped and got volumes 1 and 2 of the tpb's today. Oppenheimer Prime would be proud. HMMMMM.
I love East of West but MP is still Hickman's best book. He has said it's the one he loves to write the most too.

tim1138

I love East of West but MP is still Hickman's best book. He has said it's the one he loves to write the most too.

I don't read anything else he writes, but it's pretty obvious MP is a labor of love. Such a freaking great book and easily my favorite on going from any publisher.

So far these are the only books that have my interest:
Avengers World
all alone
Silver Surfer
Ghost Rider
and Batman Eternal

Has DC announced any other new books?

Miracleman is back. Neil Gaiman is finishing his run .

Reprintng from the beginning

The room broke out into cheers again as the panel brought up the image of the name Miracleman, playing a video of writer Neil Gaiman speaking about the character.

“Miracleman #25 has been sitting in the darkness, nobody’s seen it...I love the idea that it’s finally going to be seen,” Gaiman said, calling it the “big incomplete book of my life,” and announcing Marvel’s intention to bring the material back into print.

Quesada told the cheering audience that in January 2014 they will be printing the “Miracleman” material and Gaiman’s end to the story.

8bit

Knows the Score
Wait, Miracleman?

Nevermind, doesn't matter what it's called. Wow. This and Zenith within 6 months. I wonder if I've died?

Thai

Bane was better.
Has anyone been reading The Star Wars? It's kinda empty feeling, but the major vibe I'm getting from it is that Lucas recycled many of his ideas for Phantom Menace.

I have the first two volumes of Scalped on my shelf and I've read issue #1 which I really liked so I guess that counts for something.

Haha, oh man, well the great thing about Scalped is you might have an idea of what it'll entail before you read any, then you get that twist at the end of #1 and just, yea, fantastic stuff. Although, I've often seen it flung aorund the net that the first volume of Scalped is no good and doesn't really pick up until volume 2, but I find that unfathomable, I love the first volume.

Should we be expecting any image announcements this weekend? They are kind of at breaking point with so so many projects upcoming, but just wondering.

Nice little interview with Mike Carey & Peter Gross just came up on CBR, announces the Unwritten restart in January will bring along with the subtitle "Apocalypse" for it's final 12 issues. Not sure how many read the unwritten here, I rarely see it discussed, but the book is great, and really encourages you to go read classic fiction and read about the development of fiction over the last 100 years or so, alongside a great plot. Click

Eldren

Haha, oh man, well the great thing about Scalped is you might have an idea of what it'll entail before you read any, then you get that twist at the end of #1 and just, yea, fantastic stuff. Although, I've often seen it flung aorund the net that the first volume of Scalped is no good and doesn't really pick up until volume 2, but I find that unfathomable, I love the first volume.

Should we be expecting any image announcements this weekend? They are kind of at breaking point with so so many projects upcoming, but just wondering.

Yes! That was executed so well. That hooked me straight away. I have to admit, the borderline-hoarder in me wants to buy the other 8 volumes right now even though I haven't even read the first 2 yet, just so I can have them on my shelf.

I'd heard the same thing about volume 1, although it was specifically in reference to the art; there's a new colourist from issue 6 who, I've read, greatly improved the artwork, but to my untrained novice eyes I couldn't see a huge difference. I feel like the art is perfect for the tone of the book regardless, and even the rough texture of the page adds to the whole experience.

Speaking of Image, the talk earlier about Manhattan Projects convinced me to pick up the first trade. Looks pretty cool!

-----

I'm reading about some of the panels and announcements at NYCC (tim and Korupt are right, DC really didn't say a whole lot) and I see that The Unwritten is having one final year-long arc before coming to a conclusion. Is anyone reading it? All I really know about it is the basic concept and the fact it has beautiful cover art.

Edit: Guess I spent too long typing up this reply, oops.

Nice little interview with Mike Carey & Peter Gross just came up on CBR, announces the Unwritten restart in January will bring along with the subtitle "Apocalypse" for it's final 12 issues. Not sure how many read the unwritten here, I rarely see it discussed, but the book is great, and really encourages you to go read classic fiction and read about the development of fiction over the last 100 years or so, alongside a great plot. Click

I really enjoy it, but I'm not really digging the current arc despite being a big Fables fan and all.

Drayco21

Is there any consensus on what the "WAR" teaser is? I'm on-board for Yost anything, but I really want to hold out hopes it's something that can possibly continue on Scarlet Spider. I'm not ready to let go GAF.

tim1138

It warms my heart to see people taking a chance on Manhattan Projects, I feel like it's the best book no one reads. Which is especially odd here, considering the way you all go gaga for Hickman.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
From Marvel, I'll add Silver Surfer, Avengers World, Loki: Agent of Asgard, Miracleman, Avengers Undercover, and All-New Invaders. Inhumanity is already on my list, too.

Not entirely sold on Secret Avengers or Empire of the Dead. I will wait and see on Ghost Rider.

arkon

It warms my heart to see people taking a chance on Manhattan Projects, I feel like it's the best book no one reads. Which is especially odd here, considering the way you all go gaga for Hickman.

I've been following since the beginning! Just don't mention it because nobody else seems to either. Oh and I usually don't have anything else to say beyond great issue or great weird issue.

Funny, I enjoy reading over everyone's weekly lists and I feel that MP is fairly represented. I notice that it gets love at the LCS, too. I remember I was in early one Wednesday and I saw this preppy, professional-looking clean-cut guy, the atypical comic fan in my eyes, and he was there to pick up MP and MP alone. I'm happy that the series gives so many people pleasure. I read the first issue and didn't like it. Perfectly fine comic. Just didn't interest me.

In my opinion, the best comic that no one is reading is Six Gun Gorilla.

kswiston

Funny, I enjoy reading over everyone's weekly lists and I feel that MP is fairly represented. I notice that it gets love at the LCS, too. I remember I was in early one Wednesday and I saw this preppy, professional-looking clean-cut guy, the atypical comic fan in my eyes, and he was there to pick up MP and MP alone. I'm happy that the series gives so many people pleasure. I read the first issue and didn't like it. Perfectly fine comic. Just didn't interest me.

I think that the first issue of Manhattan Projects wasn't as good as what followed. It set up Oppenheimer, but I remember not being in a rush to read the second issue. I went back and read the first 6 and was hooked.

Fuck, SS looks awesome and I love Allred (obvi) but nope to four dollar books. Trade Moore GR should be cool too.

Rocket Girl was alright. The art was incredible as always but this Montclare guy cannot write at all. Her reason in going back in time was not explicit or compelling enough. And why the cops giving the broad a full report? That was a Noccenti moment. And what do they both have in common? Former editors.

Yeah, WTF was up with that. They give this random space suit teen a full report and then try to arrest her later. Wut.

Indie books sadly don't get a lot of deserved attention, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start making new threads to spread more awareness and discussion for upcoming Image titles.

Edit: I mean the comics ot mainly discusses weekly titles and comic news

Drayco21

3108153-venom+mobile.jpg

All this hate for Bunn's Venom confuses me. I thought it's been a really enjoyable, fun run so far, and I'm sad to see it ending.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just finished the first volume of Mind MGMT. That was really fantastic. I'm excited for more and I think I'll have to dig into Kindt's other indie spy/noir books.

Also, Dark Horse's hardcover treatment is so good. No dust jacket, thick matte pages, etc. I wish everyone followed their lead on hardcovers. I'll continue to endlessly praise their awesome hardcovers.

Placing this order for the week:
* East of West, Vol 1
* The Legend of Luther Strode
* The Manhattan Projects, Vol 1
* Shazam, Vol 1
* Stumptown, Vol 2
* Talon, Vol 1

Time to give this Hickman fellow a shot.

Hope Hickman finishes this next year:

I love the manhattan projects, but it has a very different flavour to The NIghtly News or Pax Romana, and pretty excited to see what he can come up with drawing himself, after all the experience he's had at Image and Marvel since. Originally it was coming out at 2011/2012 as a noe shot, then 2013 as a full OGN, now I'm not sure, can't find anything on it ha.

Was that run where Venom is like a military dude written by I think Rick Remender any good? I've been slowly catching up on Amazing Spider-Man since Brand New Day (Im currently reading The Gauntlet) and was wondering if I should check it out.

Acid08

Banned
Was that run where Venom is like a military dude written by I think Rick Remender any good? I've been slowly catching up on Amazing Spider-Man since Brand New Day (Im currently reading The Gauntlet) and was wondering if I should check it out.
Yeah the Remender Venom stuff is good, definitely worth giving a shot.

is that a story that takes place in la?

Yup. It's set in LA, about several psychologists who decided together to basically mess with their various patients for fun by telling giving them all sorts of bogus advice and diagnosis, and the consequences of their actions. Makes me think a little of Transhuman if you've read that, which I really liked, but with Hickman's own art. Found another fantastic promo piece:

That's what was announced in like, 2011 though, and the project has been awhile in the making with no updates. I assume it will still concern those events and it's really just his high work schedule holding it back, but who knows, he might have changed things too.

EDIT: Managed to hunt down a podcast where he discussed the book in March. Effectively the book's delay comes down to a few things: The story felt like it could be a lot more once he started working on it. Pre-orders were so much bigger than they originally expected, they kind of gave him and Image the motivation to let it become a bigger thing and take the time, and then pretty much because he delayed it, Hickman doesn't want to discuss it or anything until it's completely done, so he doesn't give people the impression he'll just say any date then keep delaying. Reconfirmed it'll be a nice hardcover when it comes though. Even since March and that podcast went up though, his duties at Marvel have skyrocketed further, so I guess it'll be done when it's done. He talked about talking a year off mainstream books at some point so he could really dig in and do some work that he could draw too.

Eldren

Man, I'm really looking forward to MP now, so much hyping up going on!

Anyway, about Fantastic Four/FF. I think there was a thing in the Marvel panel saying there wasn't going to be an ongoing series for a while. How much stock can we put into this rumour about James Robinson and Lenore Kirk?

-----

that looks like some left over comic from the 50s/60s. Was hoping for something more modern like Silver Surfer series im currently reading from Annhilation Saga

I love this part of Annihilation. The art was so good and the story was great as well. I thought some of the other stories were a bit weaker (I remember not being too keen on some of the other Heralds, I think Terrax?) but Surfer and Stardust were really good. I think my favourite was the Super Skrull mini.

-----

I like this cover:

I don't think I've read anything about this Disney Kingdoms imprint. I thought it might be like an all-ages thing but at $4 a go I'm not so sure. Looks pretty interesting though.

I don't think I've read anything about this Disney Kingdoms imprint. I thought it might be like an all-ages thing but at $4 a go I'm not so sure. Looks pretty interesting though.

This looks really cool. Had a look online there, and it's Brandon Seifert and Karl Moline? That's a pretty cool creative team. Moline's art was great in Fray, and Seifert does kooky well. I could see this being fun for me and the kid. Lord knows, I need other options from Marvel for their kids books, not into what they're doing at all. Straight up adapting pretty recent episodes of their tv shows for the kids spiderman and avengers comics is such a dunce move. It's as if they didn't consider that if a kid is enthusiastic enough to buy the comic counterparts to the cartoons, they wouldn't have already watched those episodes and thus know the story.

Got my fingers crossed for this Edmondson/Gerads announcement today. Such a good team on the activity. Not too into Noto, but if it turns out Edmondson is steering a Black Widow book in one hand and a Bucky or Punisher book in the other, that'll be really exciting. Could convince me to pick up a few marvel books alongside Hawkeye. Could see those three and Kot's Secret Avengers being a nice little marvel pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom