• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

This looks really cool. Had a look online there, and it's Brandon Seifert and Karl Moline? That's a pretty cool creative team. Moline's art was great in Fray, and Seifert does kooky well. I could see this being fun for me and the kid. Lord knows, I need other options from Marvel for their kids books, not into what they're doing at all. Straight up adapting pretty recent episodes of their tv shows for the kids spiderman and avengers comics is such a dunce move. It's as if they didn't consider that if a kid is enthusiastic enough to buy the comic counterparts to the cartoons, they wouldn't have already watched those episodes and thus know the story.

Have you checked out Marve's series of Oz books by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young? I have the first 4 and they're brilliant. They're adaptations of the original novels with utterly gorgeous art by Young and coloured by Jean-Francois Beaulieu, who is just perfect for the series. I think they'd be ideal for reading with your kid. The only downside is that it's collected as one long story with no breaks where an issue would end, which would have made convenient chapter breaks.

If you've not had a look, they might be worth trying. Here's one of my favourite covers:

WWof+Oz+%25283%2529.jpg

Got my fingers crossed for this Edmondson/Gerads announcement today. Such a good team on the activity. Not too into Noto, but if it turns out Edmondson is steering a Black Widow book in one hand and a Bucky or Punisher book in the other, that'll be really exciting. Could convince me to pick up a few marvel books alongside Hawkeye. Could see those three and Kot's Secret Avengers being a nice little marvel pile.

Yeah it'd be interesting if he was telling a giant espionage story in two books. I just want to see all the announcements to be honest, I feel like there's still quite a bit we don't know about.

Marvel missed a huge opporunity by not putting Skottie Young on an All New Marvel Now Again book. There is so much untapped stuff you can do with his style.

Have you checked out Marve's series of Oz books by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young? I have the first 4 and they're brilliant. They're adaptations of the original novels with utterly gorgeous art by Young and coloured by Jean-Francois Beaulieu, who is just perfect for the series. I think they'd be ideal for reading with your kid. The only downside is that it's collected as one long story with no breaks where an issue would end, which would have made convenient chapter breaks.

You know, I've always really wanted to check these out for the full family to be honest haha! I reckon the little un would dig as much as my partner, and myself, probably all for different reasons too. It's just a case of getting started. There's so many of them now, and because the volumes are quite thick, they're a bit pricey. Thanks for reminding me of those though, they had completely slipped from my mind, might look into them as xmas presents. I've got the full run of the marvel dark tower collections and they are all such high and nice quality, I can only imagine these.

So Marvel are fucking rereleasing Marvelman issue by issue? They must be trying to raise money for Gaiman's page rate for future Marvelman or payback the loan for Angela.

As for the announcements, Imdon't think Saturdays were all that enticing. Allred is hampered by Slott. Iron Patriot is hampered by Rhodey.

Marvel, hit me up. I will build up Doctor Strange for you and any character Disney wants. I can do magic.

Eldren

You know, I've always really wanted to check these out for the full family to be honest haha! I reckon the little un would dig as much as my partner, and myself, probably all for different reasons too. It's just a case of getting started. There's so many of them now, and because the volumes are quite thick, they're a bit pricey. Thanks for reminding me of those though, they had completely slipped from my mind, might look into them as xmas presents. I've got the full run of the marvel dark tower collections and they are all such high and nice quality, I can only imagine these.

A Christmas present sounds like a good idea. There are currently 5 collections so you could start with the first and see if you and your family like it, and then go from there. The first one shouldn't be too expensive these days, I think.

-----

Some info about All New Ghost Rider. Robbie Reyes is the new GR, Mr Hyde is the first villain. Sounds pretty interesting, was hoping for a preview of the art though.

An interview with Dan Slott and Mike Allred about the new Silver Surfer.

The DC stuff is happening now I think so hopefully we'll have something interesting today.

A Christmas present sounds like a good idea. There are currently 5 collections so you could start with the first and see if you and your family like it, and then go from there. The first one shouldn't be too expensive these days, I think.

-----

Some info about All New Ghost Rider. Robbie Reyes is the new GR, Mr Hyde is the first villain. Sounds pretty interesting, was hoping for a preview of the art though.

An interview with Dan Slott and Mike Allred about the new Silver Surfer.

The DC stuff is happening now I think so hopefully we'll have something interesting today.
Ain't nothin going to happen with DC bub. DC seems to like press releases on USA today for their "changing the DC universe forever" announcements.

10/16 list.

BATMAN AND TWO FACE #24
BATMAN SUPERMAN #4
GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS #24
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #8 (EVIL)
X-FILES SEASON 10 #5
MORNING GLORIES #33
SHELTERED #4
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #19

Maybe

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #13
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #24

tim1138

Animal Man #24
Forever Evil Rogue's Rebellion #1
Justice League of America #8
JLA Vibe #8
Pandora #4
Wonder Woman #24
Zero #2

Savitar

I know a lot of artist can't draw Kyle's normal mask very well but that thing they got him wearing now is down right ugly, it's like Geordi LeForges visor filled in.

Drayco21

10/16 list for me:

Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Guardians of the Galaxy #7
Hawkeye #13
Superior Spider-Man #19
Animal Man #24
Batman-Superman #4
Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion #1
Green Lantern: New Guardians #24
Wonder Woman #24

D_N_G

Top reads of the week for last week:

Infinity #4 (one word makes it my favorite book for the week: Thor) , Afterlife with Archie #1 , Batman #24, Shaolin Cowboy #1

This week's list:

Avengers #21
Batman Superman #4
Bloodshot and Hard Corps #15 8-Bit cover
Hunger #4
Letter 44 #1 Oni Press
New Avengers #11
Nowhere Men #6 Image (about damn time)
Regular Show #4
Sergio Aragone's Funnies #10
Sheltered #4 Image
Six Gun Gorilla #5
X-O Manowar #18 8-Bit cover
Zero #2 Image

Ephidel

Lists! A lot of titles this week.
Avengers #21
Avengers Assemble #20
Bloodshot and HARD Corps #15
Conan the Barbarian #21
Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion #1
Hawkeye #13
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #7
Justice League #24
Letter 44 #1
New Avengers #11
Nowhere Men #6
Sheltered #4
Uncanny X-Men #13
X-Men Legacy #18
2000AD Prog.1854

Can't give my short thoughts on what I read from last weeks picks because I had an interview and haven't actually read anything other than Infinity and X-Men 6 yet (I prioritised those so I'd have less spoilers to avoid).

Locke and Key: Head games was so good..... I fear that there's gonna be a much more wallet-damaging comics purchase coming up soon. Perhaps Locke and Key 3, that unwritten side-story, and... hmm the Death hardcover?

EDIT: I just realized that DMZ 1 and Chew 1/2 have been sitting in my room unread for 4 months.... they got hidden when I moved. Gotta go find them. SURPRISE CHRISTMAS IN OCTOBER.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
On Young Cyke's new relationship. He shouldn't be too grabby, cause her last relationship was very hands off.

I hope it doesn't blow up in his face. I like young Cyclops more than the current time stream version.

List with Archie:

Marvel:
A+X #13
Avengers #21
Hawkeye #13 (He's back, bro!)
New Avengers #11
Superior Spider-Man #19
Uncanny X-Men #13 (Battle of the Atom 8 of 10)

DC:
Batman/Superman #4
Forever Evil: Rogues' Rebellion #1 of 6
Justice League of America #8
Wonder Woman #24

Others:
King's Watch #2 of 5 (Dynamite)
Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights #4 of 5 (Dynamite)
Star Trek: Khan #1 of 5 (IDW)
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #22 (IDW)
Invincible #106 (Image)

arkon

Adventure Time #21
Hawkeye #13
Imagine Agents #1
Six-Gun Gorilla #5
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #22
X-Men Legacy #18

Still waiting on that Nowhere Men TPB. The first date Amazon had was the tail end of July :(

Got lucky and scored a NYCC pass this morning from some chick on craigslist.

Went and got a pretty sweet haul:

Got the Bad Karma book (missed the kickstarter!)

Met Robbie Rodriguez (super cool dude) Seemed real salty about the Collider name change (had 0 Collider stuff at his booth). But I got the first 2 issues of Annie Get Your Gun and he threw in an LP that has music his friends produced to go along with it (they surprised him with that apparently ) vcool.
K7lB2D9l.jpg

Also Got this prophet print from Farel Dalrymple, who said I was only the second person to recognize where the print was from! For shame NYCC!

Then I splurged and bought one of my favorite pages from Brubaker's Cap by Epting.

oh, look. List time.

Wonder Woman #24
Invincible #106
Morning Glories #33
Avengers #21
Hawkeye #13
Uncanny X-Men #13

fallingdove

Was Black Beetle - Necrologue 1 pushed back? I could have sworn that it was scheduled to release the second week in October. Now the Dark Horse site is saying November.

arkon

Also Got this prophet print from Farel Dalrymple, who said I was only the second person to recognize where the print was from! For shame NYCC!

Nice haul, man. I'm mad jealous of this print. One of my favourite scenes from the Prophet series. Encapsulates everything I like about the series perfectly.

NYCC EXCLUSIVE: SLOTT'S "SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN" MUST FACE THE "GOBLIN NATION"

Issue #26 is a prelude to "Goblin Nation" where two major Spider-Man universe characters have a throw down. Developments will also occur between Spider-Man and the Avengers.

Plus something's going to happen in "Superior Spider-Man" #19, the last issue of the Spider-Man 2099 arc, and when that happens Spider-Man fans are going to have a lot of questions. People are going to be going, "WHAT? WHAT? HOW? WHAT?" [Laughs] There will be many, many questions that fans will want answered. Issue #26 will answer many of those questions. When you hit issue #26 you'll go, "OHHHHHHHH!" Knowing the answers, though, doesn't mean things get better [Laughs]. You'll see where all the cards are on the table and you'll go, "Oh my god we're heading toward -- Goblin Nation."

Peter Parker must be the Goblin, I can't imagine what else they could be holding on that "IS IT NORMAN!?" reveal for so long. I mean, if it is Norman, then its not much of a reveal at all.

Plus, this story is five issues and going by the two issues a month rate, will end in April. Just in time to launch that Amazing Spider-Man #1 right alongside the movie.

Peter Parker must be the Goblin, I can't imagine what else they could be holding on that "IS IT NORMAN!?" reveal for so long. I mean, if it is Norman, then its not much of a reveal at all.

Plus, this story is five issues and going by the two issues a month rate, will end in April. Just in time to launch that Amazing Spider-Man #1 right alongside the movie.

interesting, but I can't really see how parker would rationalize putting together a massive crime syndicate over...oh...just going to the avengers.

it has to be something else.

NYCC 2013: Superior Spider-Man & Friends - LIVE!
Wacker then moved on to a teaser called "The End," featuring Dan Slott and Guiseppe Camuncoli. Wacker said that leads to Superior Spider-Man #27.Now. "Everything that has been going on in Superior Spider-Man has been setting up dominoes - BAM! Everything goes down here," Slott said. "The Green Goblin on one side, Superior Spider-Man on the other." Slott said the title is "Goblin Nation."

"All bets are off," Slott said. "Anyone can go."

There will be a time jump between Team-Up #9 and Superior #27.NOW, Pyle said.
In March, Kelly Sue Deconnick and David Lopez will be relaunching Captain Marvel. "Higher - literally. We're taking her cosmic," DeConnick said. "You know that moment in the song 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'? 'I done told you once you son of a gun, I'm the best that ever been.' That's Carol."
Finally, the teaser featuring the word "Assassin," with Zeb Wells and Mike Del Mundo: Elektra #1. Amanat said Elektra is back, and "what's so wonderful about this storyline is that is references some of what Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz did. We're trying to show who Elektra is, when she no longer has the one person in her life that means more than anything else - Daredevil. Who is Elektra when she goes off on this journey by herself?" The story features Elektra trying to kill a guild of assassins.
The next title is "Hunted," featuring Nathan Edmondson and Mitch Gerads: The Punisher #1. "Gerads draws an incredibly handsome Punisher - it's a good-looking book," Thomas said. "This book is going to be really incredible. Nathan has some really interesting ideas about the Punisher... his big thing is about finding the head of the snake, so he thinks he's found it in L.A." Not only is Punisher hunting the bad guys, there's a government group called the 131 that is trying to hunt him down, too.
Next, the teaser for "War": Chris Yost and Marcus To will be taking on New Warriors.

Nova, Speedball, Justice, Scarlet Spider will be part of the team, as well as Sun Girl and a new Inhuman, as well as an Atlantean and a mutant. "We're assembling superheroes of all backgrounds and all races, and they've all been deemed a threat," Amanat said. "They must protect the people that they love."

What is the purpose of the New Warriors when we have a powerful team like the Avengers? Amanat said that would be discussed in the book. "It's about these kids coming together and getting to know each other and exploring who they can become outside of the Avengers." Wacker said the vibe of this book was around Marv Wolfman's Teen Titans and Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways. It's due out in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom