• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Actually decent (not even good!) fight comics are rare enough that I'll probably always be at least a little excited. The Remender/JRJR Captain Ameri-Wolf and Cub and Aaron/Ribic Thor: God of Metal mega-arcs are both really impressive in that regard and doing those kinds of stories are much harder than they might seem at first.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WHAT? Does that mean Prophet is getting canceled or it was planned to end at #45?

Good news, just checked his feed.

dm2VFSP.png

kswiston

I haven't really been following the latest Marvelman/Miracleman news. Are they actually reprinting the Moore run this time? Is that why it says "Original Writer + Mick Anglo" in the solicits?

request for the new page (I only got like one or two perspectives on the last page). Help!

The more comic fans we have engaging on these threads the better, so you are certainly welcome to chime in and ask questions. But ya gotta understand, these requests show up frequently on the threads. Sounds like you are already reading some good stuff and have an idea as to your tastes. I suggest you read through this thread and the threads from previous months to learn what has been recommended before and to learn about the different books the people here are passionate about.

I like to keep abreast of what is being published weekly by reading the New Releases and Upcoming Releases lists that are posted on the Previews World website. If there are certain books that you've read recently that you like a lot perhaps you can dig around for other titles that the respective writer/artist is currently working on. Most creators have a number of irons in the fire at any given time.

I like to keep abreast of what is being published weekly by reading the New Releases and Upcoming Releases lists that are posted on the Previews World website.

These are pretty good resources. There is always ComicList for the no-frills approach.

I think more companies should make the first issue of series free or a buck on digital. The Marvel First thing from the start of the year should be permanent, although they did break comixology pretty badly when it went up.

8bit

Knows the Score
I haven't really been following the latest Marvelman/Miracleman news. Are they actually reprinting the Moore run this time? Is that why it says "Original Writer + Mick Anglo" in the solicits?

Yeah, it started in Warrior #1. It was a great reveal, he's not even mentioned on the cover.

Warrior+1.jpg

I'm looking forward to a decent collected edition, but I'll pay for the individual issues though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Site is probably owned and run by Christians. Kind of like how In N Out has Bible quotes on their fry containers and cups.

I got that much from it, I just don't understand the relevance to a site that compiles comic book releases.

Whatever, praise whatever the fuck lord you want to for comics!]

Also, In N Out must have some divine blessings over their burgers, because they are delicious as hell (or heaven).

SRG01

I dont think anyone answered this for you so i'll do it

In legacy 18,
the stepfords and emma are revealed to have implanted a psychic worm in legion that leads to him having a breakdown and letting loose the weird not xavier personality from legion's head. For those not reading legacy, this personality looks like xavier but is proved not to be, why he chooses that form is still unknown.

Yes and
we know that gold-Xavier's control of Legion's powers is immense, plus future Xavier is sketchy and mean as hell.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Since when does relevance or appropriateness stop certain religious people from shoving their faith onto everyone :lol

Haha--true. Next time I go to Cali, I'm looking for some holy scripture on my burger. Never noticed them before.

I'm not overly familiar with Marvel Hardcovers/collections but do you guys have any suggestions for Young Avengers. I want to read it but I prefer hardcovers over trades. What are the odds there'll be an oversized hardcover collecting the series?

Haha--true. Next time I go to Cali, I'm looking for some holy scripture on my burger. Never noticed them before.

I'm not overly familiar with Marvel Hardcovers/collections but do you guys have any suggestions for Young Avengers. I want to read it but I prefer hardcovers over trades. What are the odds there'll be an oversized hardcover collecting the series?

Gillen has said he wants the whole series collected in a hardcover. Whether that'll happen is anyone's guess, but considering Journey Into Mystery is getting re-collected, it could be sooner than I think.

tm24

Good to see legacy talk. Sextette best x- book at marvel
No joke, Legion x Blindfold is like 65% of why the book is so good. Best pair ever
Theyre pretty hidden. Theyre on the bottom inside rim of the cups and on the fringes of the burger wrapper. Theyre like the complete opposite of Chick-fil-a

VeeP

page has Otto digging through Parker's memory ending with a three panels depiction of a shadowy silouhette (Peter Parker) emerging from under rock.
Can't make it more explicit that Otto has probably dug a little too far

Oh wow I just noticed, can't believe I missed that. In a way,
I'm gonna kinda miss Otto.
It's amazing what Peter has been thorough since the start of Slott's run. I remember I jumped on at Big Time. It was cool seeing Peter having a great job, inventing stuff, having new suits, etc.
Honestly it feels like a month or two ago I started reading it, but it was in 2010. Man how time flies...

Just caught up on a few comics, was a week or so behind:

Batman #24 was sogood.gif. Don't need to heap too much more praise on it than that.
Green Lantern Corps #24 and Green Lantern New Guardians #24: I continue to love what they are doing here and the best thing I can say about it is that I really don't know what is going to happen. Also, Kyle Rayner continues to be the best.
Supergirl #24: I continue to dig the new origin for Cyborg Superman. I also feel that Kara's anger is quite justified this issue so it was fun seeing her react in a way that I could see myself reacting if put in the same situation.
Worlds' Finest #16: I wish I knew where they were going with the "Power Girl's powers are fluctuating" plot. Is it to depower her for Forever Evil? Because they could have just showered her getting her ass handed to her by Ultraman, instead. Still, the Karen/Helena friendship continues to be a fun one to see play out.
JLA #8: Solid issue. Interesting character studies, especially Shazam's. I love you Billy. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. The Manhunter/Stargirl dynamic is an unusual one but all the better for it.

Ima order the Legacy trade(s) whenever i make another order, #1 was super interesting

200 bucks seems reasonable to me. An artist commission is kind of a once-in-lifetime deal right? Not something you get once a month.

So $200 one-time is very affordable and worth it.

It's totally reasonable, i am just a broke ass college kid, or rather someone who shouldn't be spending 200 bucks on a commish at this point in time

Ima order the Legacy trade(s) whenever i make another order, #1 was super interesting

I like that issue a lot, too. I'd probably be reading that book if not for my (likely temporary) Big Two Ban. For now I'll have to get my Spurrier fix from Six Gun Gorilla nnngggh! when I get home with my books today and from Numbercruncher NNNGGHHH next week and whenever Disenchanted #1 drops NNG, etc.

Welp, I dropped Hulk. I really liked the Simonson issues but the rest I haven't bveen feeling. :/

Hope so. I love that comic, but her and Wanda's constant bickering is becoming a bit tedious and she's a pretty dull character to begin with anyway.

I'd be happy if either she or Wanda died
I'm hoping for both

lol hell no. NO!
calling Rogue boring on a team of borings like Havok, Cap, Wonder Man, Scarlet Witch and Thor....I don't even
Well sometimes Thor and Havok are cool but I'm lumping them in!

request for the new page (I only got like one or two perspectives on the last page). Help!

Daredevil
I was loving FF but I haven't read mine since Fraction bailed.
Xbooks and Batbooks have been fun/good but thats a hole I'm not sure anyone wants to go down when coming back.

Owzers

Welp, I dropped Hulk. I really liked the Simonson issues but the rest I haven't bveen feeling. :/

Ind. Hulk is the only Marvel book i've dropped lately. Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncanny X-Men, All New X-Men, and X-Men are all on the bottom of my pull list, especially X-Men. I don't think Waid did a good job pulling a team around Hulk, it seems like Banner/Hulk/Hill and then a bunch of random scientists.

SRG01

No joke, Legion x Blindfold is like 65% of why the book is so good. Best pair ever

I'd say Legion alone, with his internal monologues, makes the book particularly awesome. He also schemes a lot more than other Marvel books too.

According to Marvel's January solicits, it looks like they'll be double-dipping the Avengers / New Avengers content for trades. Each series will get its own Infinity hardcover, but the issues will also be in the big $75 Infinity OHC. If they put all that shit in the hardcover in chronological order, I'm sold.

Also, OMG this cover. XD

MartyStu

Ind. Hulk is the only Marvel book i've dropped lately. Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncanny X-Men, All New X-Men, and X-Men are all on the bottom of my pull list, especially X-Men. I don't think Waid did a good job pulling a team around Hulk, it seems like Banner/Hulk/Hill and then a bunch of random scientists.

But the annual is SOOO good.

tm24

I'd say Legion alone, with his internal monologues, makes the book particularly awesome. He also schemes a lot more than other Marvel books too.
Thats the other 35%! Seriously, the book is neck and neck with WatXM as best xbook

Finished all the comics this week. Superior Spiderman made me sad because you can tell what's happening next and it's the end of a great era. Now I have to learn about this Peter Parker guy soon. Battle of the Atom continues to be really solid, freaking love New (Illuminati) Avengers as well.

JLA and Rouges were both awesome, starting to love Captain Cold as a character. This book and Superior Foes of Spiderman are really awesome right now. Batman is great and Batwoman was funny because they tried to act like Batman was going to fall for Kate's plan. Great week of comics!

Man, having the Watcher show up is such a writing cop out. Its like "I can't write the plot to seem important, so I'll have the useless watcher show up and tell me the plot is important".

Marvel has the best sense of humor

AVEN2012025_COV.jpg

AVENGERS #25
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
Cover by MIKE DEODATO
“THE MIRROR”
• It worked for the X-Men! Would we be so crass as to do it again? Introducing the ALL-NEW AVENGERS!
• And we’ve been good up till now, but this issue, an Avenger dies

Kelly Sue DeConnick/Emma Rios six-page preview of Pretty Deadly. I hear all the cool kids are interested in this

--

On the flip sue, I just discovered this very impassioned response Kelly Sue's husband Matt Fraction wrote to a fan contemplating suicide that reminded me of those Casanova backmatters in how personal they got.

As i started to cut, as the corner touched my skin and that jolt of pain fired into my head, i stopped and thought — y’know, last chance. Are you SURE?

And i was tired. I sounded like you, that i knew there’d be ups again and downs but i was just so fucking TIRED i couldn’t stand the thought of having to get there. I felt this… this never-ending crush of days that were grey and tepid but for some reason i was supposed to greet each one with a smile. the constant pressure of having to keep my shit in all the time was just exhausting.

I wondered, then — well, is there anything you’re curious about. Anything you want to see play out. And i thought of a comic i was reading and i’d not figured out the end of the current storyline. And i realized I had curiosity. And that was the hook i’d hang my hat on. that by wanting to see how something played out I wasn’t really ready. That little sprout of a thing poking up through all that black earth kept me around a little longer.

And because you asked me I am answering you because i know, motherfucker, i know, i know, i know the hole you are fucking in because I was there myself and if you look hard you can still see my writing on those walls and if you stare long enough i swear to god it’s pointing to up

Also, he sounds exactly like Clint Barton

Pretty Deadly and Velvet next week, fuck yeah!

That Fraction letter is freaking ah may zing. It's been going around Twitter and I cried my eyes out when I read it. The only thing I've read of his and liked, ha.

Filthy Slug

--

On the flip sue, I just discovered this very impassioned response Kelly Sue's husband Matt Fraction wrote to a fan contemplating suicide that reminded me of those Casanova backmatters in how personal they got.

One of the reasons why Casanova is my favorite ongoing comic is because of the highly candid, raw, and just all around great backmatter. My Casanova floppies are super fucking important to me because of the heart and soul that the entire team magicks onto each and every page.

There's a lot of talk that every Matt Fraction protagonist is just Matt Fraction. I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Wool

What's with all of these Avenger comics? I haven't been into comics for very long, but based on cartoons and stuff I thought the Avengers were a specific 5 or 6 heroes. Now it seems like anyone who isn't an X-Men or a Spider-person is an Avenger. Has this always been the case?

What's with all of these Avenger comics? I haven't been into comics for very long, but based on cartoons and stuff I thought the Avengers were a specific 5 or 6 heroes. Now it seems like anyone who isn't an X-Men or a Spider-person is an Avenger. Has this always been the case?

They've been slowly expanding off and on for years, with West Coast Avengers and Great Lake Avengers and different variants. Then Spider-Man and Wolverine joined the Avengers in 2003 and all bets are off.

Basically, if you're part of the Marvel Universe and have powers, chances are you're an Avenger nowadays

Also, there was this movie directed by Joss Whedon that came out last year that I heard was pretty popular, might have something to do with it

Messi

They've been slowly expanding off and on for years, with West Coast Avengers and Great Lake Avengers and different variants. Then Spider-Man and Wolverine joined the Avengers in 2003 and all bets are off.

Basically, if you're part of the Marvel Universe and have powers, chances are you're an Avenger nowadays

Also, there was this movie directed by Joss Whedon that came out last year that I heard was pretty popular, might have something to do with it

What would be the best currently running Avengers book to read if I wanted to get into reading Avenger stuff? I own the first volume of Young Avengers but ive not read it yet.

ReiGun

The A List teams at Marvel and DC have always been happy to let anyone join.

Also, Spider-man and certain X-Men are also Avengers. Literally anyone can join.

Owzers

I finally read Sheltered #1 since the trade was in the latest dcbs order cycle. I enjoyed it, but a combination of not really having any character build, art that makes it hard to tell people's ages in different panels, and a " things happen and you will know why later" plot left me intrigued but a little confused while reading. I didn't like the issue as much as i think it could be a good series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom