• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Thanks, Tim! Again, the actual plot points sound good. I love when The Rogues throwdown with other villains--especially when those villains underestimate them--and give them the business.

I just think the team of Manapul and that other guy are not a good writer/artist duo for comics because they're both artists and it shows. There's a flatness to each and every character they attempt to write and there's no real strong characterizations at all. The small Rogues' moments in Forever Evil 1 were stronger than anything that Boochastilleto has done for Captain Cold and company.

Despite that, I'm happy the Rogues are getting attention because they deserve it. Such a cool team of villains.

Yeah, the Flash was a book I was buying because it's pretty and out of obligation. Other than the Gorilla Warfare arc, I really can't think of another story by them I genuinely enjoyed. That said, I do think Bucaleto had a good voice for the Rogues in FE:RR #1. And yeah their moments in FE #1 were great, but it was Johns. Dude writes the Rogues better than anyone.

Superman/WonderWoman was pretty good book. Tony Daniel has a very cinematic style that fits for the ook and Charles Soule I feel is a writer than can work within the confines of a DC editor. And Diana actually did Wonder Womanly things. She wasn't a supporting character!!!

Splatt

Can I ask why?
Because this months issue [#24] is part one of a two part story:
Hollywood Babylon, Part 1 of 2

I didn't even notice it's part 1, certainly didn't feel like it.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it because it builds on and continues previous plots, most notably
Brother Blood and Maxine.

I feel that it doesn't do enough to properly introduce new readers to the current story.

I didn't even notice it's part 1, certainly didn't feel like it.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it because it builds on and continues previous plots, most notably
Brother Blood and Maxine.

I feel that it doesn't do enough to properly introduce new readers to the current story.

OK, thanks for the response.

tim1138

So after reading all my books for the week, I have to go with Zero as my book of the week. Two issues in, it has quickly joined the rarified air of Manhattan Projects as one of my favorite monthly titles. Don't wait for (insert adjective here) Avengers or Iron Patriot to check out Ales Kot, he's already doing good things at Image.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What issue?

#24. Also, if you haven't checked out Tomasi and Gleason's Batman & Robin, you've got 23 other excellent-to-sofuckinggood issues to check out.

And Zero #2...damn. Painting a very bleak picture here but the concept of jumping to entirely different points in Zero's life is very cool. The discussion on the tree was sincerely cute and heartbreaking and not cheesy! Also, Tradd Moore art was gorgeous.

And Verigo is rolling out its new books slower than originally planned. No mention of The Suiciders or Milligan's new series in January solicits.

The Marvelman reprints are 5.99 and 4.99. Hahahahahahahaha Avengers World is double shipping. Larocca on Avengers.

Owzers

If Black Widow and All New X-Factor are 3.99, i expect most new marvel books to be that way with only a few exceptions.

I've never read Marvelman....i am not jumping on with that price for the reprints.

Not sure about Avengers World, might give it a try. I will be getting Inhumans though.

Larocca on avengers....

1253886001_office-no.gif

Eldren

Some nice solicitations for January.

That Infinity HC looks amazing, it means I can just buy the first trade of New Avengers, the first two of Avengers, and then just dive straight in to the hardcover. Hopefully it collects them in Hickman's specified reading order, that'd be cool.

It's nice to see Marvel are collecting Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery issues. I always thought they looked interesting but the trades must have been out of print or something because they were pretty hard to get hold of.

I guess that Comics Alliance article about Miracleman must have been right - Marvel aren't mentioning Alan Moore's name anywhere. It looks so weird seeing "The original writer & Mick Anglo (W)". Can someone more in-the-know tell me if $5.99 for 64 pages is good value, cheap, expensive, etc?

Image have some great books coming up. Such a great variety. How come there was no Chew solicit though? Are they taking a break?

Jenny Frisson's covers to Revival are always among my favourites when the solicits roll around. I love her style.

I agree with donie, there are a lot of comics here I'll be picking up when they're collected. Rat Queens, Velvet, Umbral, Black Science, and probably Deadly Class too.

Yay

I've read that it starts to go downhill after World's Most Wanted though :(

Oh no, really? I'm just about to start the first issue of that story arc. Bummer. Well I'll keep going after I read it and if I get bored, I've got plenty of other things to read instead. Hopefully it stays as good as the first arc though.

-----

"Ms." Hmm. She-Hulk?

Owzers

Journey into Mystery is really good, i ended up reading the whole run plus the Mighty Thor "Everything Burns" crossover issues on Marvel Unlimited, but i'm glad Marvel are collecting it in a better edition.

Image have some great books coming up. Such a great variety. How come there was no Chew solicit though? Are they taking a break?

Jenny Frisson's covers to Revival are always among my favourites when the solicits roll around. I love her style.

I agree with donie, there are a lot of comics here I'll be picking up when they're collected. Rat Queens, Velvet, Umbral, Black Science, and probably Deadly Class too.

Probably just a break month for Chew. Normally they get a trade out in the months there's a break. Those covers by Frisson really are something else, much like the #1 cover by Craig Thompson, I often wonder what it'd be like if the actual book was drawn by Frisson. Not that I dislike the art by Hawthorne, just with covers like those, it makes you think.

Let's seeeee, I already read Chew, Fatale, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Morning Glories, Revival and Mind the gap, that's 7. I've got Lazarus, East Of West, Velvet, Black Science, Pretty Deadly, Deadly Class, Umbral, and Sheltered down for christmas and when they're out, so 15. Southern Bastards when its out down the line, and considering Ten Grand and Zero. Intense.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
PROPHET #45
story BRANDON GRAHAM & SIMON ROY
art GIANNIS MILONOGIANNIS & SIMON ROY
cover SIMON ROY
JANUARY 22
32 PAGES / FC / T+
$3.99
FINAL ISSUE OF PROPHET!
The War in Space reaches its climax, but the story will continue...

Hmm....

Who in the world is going to buy Marvelman reprints at that price and on Marvel's shitty paper? God they must owe Gaiman a lot of money or they paid him a front.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
The last few pages of Infinity #4, that's the type of writing that has made me a comic book fan for almost 30 years.

Yup, I raged at first and was all "no way, he'd never do that..." and then a few panels later, I saw he did it as a ploy.

I read Batman: Court of the Owls trade yesterday and enjoyed the first few issues, but didn't enjoy the labyrinth and anything that followed. Does the next trade pick up in quality? I enjoy learning more about Talon, but the art and storytelling can be off-putting since it makes me think that Scarecrow is influencing the environment.

Who in the world is going to buy Marvelman reprints at that price and on Marvel's shitty paper? God they must owe Gaiman a lot of money or they paid him a front.

I will be contributing to it.

Alpende

Tomorrow I'll receive my order of Batman Hush (complete edition) the first volume of Fables and the first volume of Hawkeye.

I'm interested in Fables. All the buzz it's been getting from the game and the premise sounds pretty nifty.

tm24

Is anyone still reading Xmen Legacy? It's a great series and
I think they just half-revealed who future Xavier is

who????
I dont think anyone answered this for you so i'll do it

In legacy 18,
the stepfords and emma are revealed to have implanted a psychic worm in legion that leads to him having a breakdown and letting loose the weird not xavier personality from legion's head. For those not reading legacy, this personality looks like xavier but is proved not to be, why he chooses that form is still unknown.

Eldren

Probably just a break month for Chew. Normally they get a trade out in the months there's a break.

Oh yeah, good call. The 7th trade Bad Apples came out in August, so that's 5 issues between then and January. There wasn't a trade in the solicit though, was there? I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.

Let's seeeee, I already read Chew, Fatale, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Morning Glories, Revival and Mind the gap, that's 7. I've got Lazarus, East Of West, Velvet, Black Science, Pretty Deadly, Deadly Class, Umbral, and Sheltered down for christmas and when they're out, so 15. Southern Bastards when its out down the line, and considering Ten Grand and Zero. Intense.

That's quite a list! I've got a huge backlog of comics but out of all my Image books, I've read Chew, Morning Glories 1-4 and the first Luther Strode trade. I've also got (but haven't yet read) East Of West, Five Ghosts, Revival, Saga, Luther Strode 2, the first Invincible Ultimate Collection, and the first volume of Manhattan Projects arrived yesterday (I decided to buy it after all the hype it got here.)

On top of that, I've got Fatale 1 and Morning Glories 5 on their way; in my Amazon basket, either for pre-order or just waiting to buy, I've got The Activity, Mara, Nowhere Men and Federal Bureau Of Physics; I've decided to pre-order Lazarus because it looks awesome and I want to show my support; and on top of the books I mentioned in my earlier post, I forgot to add Pretty Deadly as well, plus Southern Bastards too. That's a lot of books.

Issue 1 is 64pgs, Issue 2 is 48pgs. Paper quality aside, the larger size of the issues explains the higher cost.

Hey, is Nowhere Men worth reading?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
getting back into things. Just picked up the comixology Walking Dead complete bundle and making my way through that.

what are the best super hero books right now? I will accept both "coolest most original shit being done today" as well as "if you liked 70s and 80s comics especially x-men"

request for the new page (I only got like one or two perspectives on the last page). Help!

Superman/WonderWoman was pretty good book. Tony Daniel has a very cinematic style that fits for the ook and Charles Soule I feel is a writer than can work within the confines of a DC editor. And Diana actually did Wonder Womanly things. She wasn't a supporting character!!!

I agree. Liked Daniels decision to go with the more feminine WW face that Lee and Reis draw. Hate when artist give her the manly barberic face.

kswiston

No one important is going to die in Uncanny Avengers for more than a contained story arc. Marvel only kills major characters in events and in anniversary issues that they tell you to buy 3 months in advance with a nudge and a wink.

Acid08

Banned
Can't wait for Rat Queens #2, that's this week right?
Yeah, next week. Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, and Velvet next week. Should be a good week for Image titles.

WHAT? Does that mean Prophet is getting canceled or it was planned to end at #45?
I believe Graham had said that it was ending at #45 in the past but I think they're doing more.

I agree. Liked Daniels decision to go with the more feminine WW face that Lee and Reis draw. Hate when artist give her the manly barberic face.
Don't like strong women, brah?

I would suspect it is Aja more than Fraction. Kind of sucks having another skip month though. Definitely artificially slows the pace of the book down.
Well since Aja is doing every other issue now hopefully it'll get sorted out in time. He isn't the most punctual artist, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom