• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that Fraction blog hit at the heart strings. It's so true. I'm always finding dumb stuff to keep living for. The weeks go so fast because there is always something to look forward too no matter how dumb it's is. Lol, I can't wait til Sunday to post my list on GAF and see what everyone else is getting. Sunday is also Walking Dead, Homeland, Masters of Sex, Bengals football. The two short days after that I get another batch of comics to read and later that night I get to watch Arrow. Then the next few days I get to talk comics with you crazy people and before you know it, it's Sunday again. Before you know it, weeks pass by and Arkham Origins comes out, PS4 comes out, new movies come out and years go by and I get to see Batfleck is good and if Star Wars is awesome. And all those random moments inbetween that surprise you. The fact I get too look forward to it with my wife by my side is just icing on the cake. Sorry for my not so much comics post but that article hit me.

I finally read Sheltered #1 since the trade was in the latest dcbs order cycle. I enjoyed it, but a combination of not really having any character build, art that makes it hard to tell people's ages in different panels, and a " things happen and you will know why later" plot left me intrigued but a little confused while reading. I didn't like the issue as much as i think it could be a good series.

It's not a great series, unfortunately. I wanted to love it. Liked the premise, liked the teen lead ok, liked the art. The creators are local (Vancouver-based) talent. I'm gonna see through the first arc, which is 5 issues. But I doubt I'll read past that. Though I haven't read issue 4 yet so maybe it will put right the ship.

Nudull

Banned
Finally read issue #1 of Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye, and it's surprising how hilarious and charming it was. Certainly feel like catching up on it, now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but that Fraction blog was truly moving and all. Much respect.

Imagine Agents is oodles of fun. Funny, even. It's an entertaining first issue. There is a healthy amount of plot development, world building AND character set up. Over-the-top craziness. There is only one character I didn't really enjoy
Moog.
and I don't think he'll be around next issue. Well crafted stuff. Really looking forward to the next 3.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fear Agent: Library Edition Volume 2 was officially solicited for March 5th.

Nudull

Banned
Imagine Agents is oodles of fun. Funny, even. It's an entertaining first issue. There is a healthy amount of plot development, world building AND character set up. Over-the-top craziness. There is only one character I didn't really enjoy
Moog.
and I don't think he'll be around next issue. Well crafted stuff. Really looking forward to the next 3.

I just heard about this book, today. Seemed like Men In Black mixed with Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. Which is awesome beyond belief. Going to have to start reading it.

Fraction's blog post was intense and struck me hard. A similar thing happened to me back in highschool and I ended up stopping for the most frivolous of reasons. It's the little things that make up life, the little victories that wonderful feeling of curiosity.
Being curious about something, anything at all, meant that I was interested to keep going on.

Well, back to comics:
Nowhere Men and Zero were absolutely amazing. It sucks that we'll have to wait so long for NM#7.

NoTacos

Okay so I just got into the comics game not 20 mins ago. Decided to invest heavily into The Flash, New 52 series all variant covers, some sketch covers. He's my favorite DC character by far but I never got the chance to really dig into his origins or backstory as much as Batman and Superman since he wasn't really anywhere except in the comics (and like one episode of the superman cartoon)

Experienced Comics-GAF, give me some tips and tricks about the world of comics. Tell me about the way things work with variants, rare misprints and such. I am very much a noob at this but happily willing to learn.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Okay so I just got into the comics game not 20 mins ago. Decided to invest heavily into The Flash, New 52 series all variant covers, some sketch covers. He's my favorite DC character by far but I never got the chance to really dig into his origins or backstory as much as Batman and Superman since he wasn't really anywhere except in the comics (and like one episode of the superman cartoon)

Experienced Comics-GAF, give me some tips and tricks about the world of comics. Tell me about the way things work with variants, rare misprints and such. I am very much a noob at this but happily willing to learn.

My advice? Don't buy variant covers :p read comics for their stories, not their potential monetary value. Because comics aint worth shit no more.

The Flash book seems like a decent beginner's series though, but it's not what I would consider 'great' (apart from the art which is gorgeous).

IMO, jumping into singles is a bit of a mug's game these days. There are many years of excellent, mindblowing books out there, if I were you I'd find older stories that interest me and get the collected editions (known as "Trades" to us nerds). Much better bang for your buck, plus you have the bonus of knowing ahead of time that a story will be good rather than the crapshoot of buying monthly and getting stuck reading subpar books out of habit.

But for everyone with my opinion, there are others who love monthlies and will encourage you to keep going. So YMMV :) just remember, comics are all about the stories, anything else is just ancillary marketing fluff.

Tizoc

Only read these books this week:
Transformers: MTMTE #22
Zero #2
Wonder Woman 24
Invincible 106
Batman team-up 24

Transformers was spectacular this week, may as well be my book of the month. I didn't like the art that much but there were too many hilarious moments that it'd be hard to pick my fav., though it does answer the mystery of
Rung's alt. mode
...actually this one was prob. the best:
SQKgNuz.jpg

Haha oh man, I really hope you got all those variants out of enthusiasm, and not the assumption that they're worth anything. This is the way things work: Marvel and DC publish a great range of superhero stuff. If you're interested in other genres, look at Vertigo, Image, Dark Horse, IDW. Find great books, enjoy.

Only read these books this week:
Transformers: MTMTE #22
Zero #2
Wonder Woman 24
Invincible 106
Batman team-up 24

Transformers was spectacular this week, may as well be my book of the month. I didn't like the art that much but there were too many hilarious moments that it'd be hard to pick my fav., though it does answer the mystery of
Rung's alt. mode
...actually this one was prob. the best:

It embodied everything I love about this book. Despite not being the amazing regular artist, the style grew on me. Hilarious and heartwarming as it has been all along.

I hope the crossover doesn't take it away. I've been enjoying RiD as well, but MTMTE is on a whole other level.

As a few others have mentioned you can't go into comics expecting to make money. Variants will often maintain some value, yes, but most of the time the 'big money' is going to be from series that start small but explode later on in their life. Think The Walking Dead. Only a few thousand first issues were created.

But a crash course on variants. You may know some of this, but:

Typically variants will be listed based on how many a store must order to get a copy. So a 1:10 variant means the store ordered 10 copies of the normal cover for it. The bigger the ratio the more rare and expensive they tend to be. You usually won't find anything more than 1:300, with rare exceptions, and these tend to be fairly expensive. The series will also determine value, alot of the time, as well as which artist is featured.

I personally don't go to crazy on variants, with one exception; I often get them for one or two series and try to get a line of them. Ex: I have all of the Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest variants since they came out.

tim1138

I've only ever purchased three variant covers - Darwyn Cooke's variant for preN52 Flash #7, Alex Garner's variant for GL #54, and the Ivan Reis/George Perez variant for Flashpoint #3. The LCS I shopped at before going digital always had crazy markups on variants.

If you mean "the comics game" as in speculating for money you're not investing your time wisely. Your odds of profit are better day-trading on the stock-market as a hobby.

It can be fun to pick up a book for a few bucks and then turn around a couple months later and see that it's being sold for $20-$25 dollars on ebay. Happens to me often because I pick up a lot of smaller press stuff. But if you calculated how much my comics are worth altogether compared to how much I've spent on them? Hahahahaha. (That's the industry laughing)

I think the only variants I have are Batman 66 #1 with the Joker cover and X-Men #1 the Scottie Young cover. I'm more proud of my rare(ish) out of print books and collections of which I only had a few. I have an erotic collection from like 15 years ago called The Brothers of New Essex that's worth a few coins. I also love my I Feel Sick issues from Jhonen Vasquez but more for their sentimental value.

Basically I don't have anything worth much. I think the speculators that make money also spend a lot of money and they pay close attention to what's dropping and what is anticipated to be hot on ebay. And they search out the rarest of the rare. I heard dude ask for the a Lego Star Wars cover the other day. He showed up at the shop 2.5 hours before opening to get first crack at this Star Wars Lego cover that the shop don't even end up receiving. This is the life of the speculator. But mostly they just piss me off by rushing to the back of the shop, picking up all the alternate covers for things like Mercy Sparx, which I just want one copy to read, dammit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Like everybody else said--don't go chasing variants or monetary gain from these here wonderful books. The point is what's between the cover and back-end.

Alternatively, if you're new to comics, Skottie Young baby covers. You might be into those for a little.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Like everybody else said--don't go chasing variants or monetary gain from these here wonderful books. The point is what's between the cover and back-end.

Alternatively, if you're new to comics, Skottie Young baby covers. You might be into those for a little.

I wish there were more Skottie Young baby covers. I'd buy them all.

Avengers Arena question

Why did all of them went berserk all of a sudden?

A few issues ago, 'cade pumped pheremones or whatever that makes X-23 go kill crazy.

Also, everyone just got super fed up and hit their breaking points for various reasons.

It wasn't really one thing, as is the trademark of any comic as phenomenal as this one.

arkon

Loads of others have already said it, but don't buy the variants to make money. Buy them because you want to own them and are willing to stump up the extra cash for them. That's not always the case though, the variants I have bought (mostly Skottie Young variant covers) have been priced the same as the regular covers, and I got them because I love his art.

I know the first printings of some Image #1 issues have gone for a lot e.g. I recall reading about the crazy prices for Peter Panzerfaust #1. So you might have some luck there, picking up the first prints of the new series like Rocket Girl, Black Science, Velvet etc..

I wouldn't advise it though. Buy because you want to read them.

A few issues ago, 'cade pumped pheremones or whatever that makes X-23 go kill crazy.

Also, everyone just got super fed up and hit their breaking points for various reasons.

It wasn't really one thing, as is the trademark of any comic as phenomenal as this one.

Knew about the pheromone, was just kinda surprised everybody was each others throats after monster boy went on a rampage

Fish-girl's death seems to be the trigger

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
New TMNT mini starts in January.

qD2bMWJ.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Utrom Empire #1 (of 3)—SPOTLIGHT
Paul Allor (w) • Andy Kuhn (a & c)
Intrigue and betrayal abound on Burnow Island! This mini-series takes us to the Technodrome where Krang’s plans to destroy the Earth are ramping up. Little does he know that Baxter Stockman plans to harness its power for himself! As the two villains scheme, one imprisoned robot holds the key to success—Fugitoid! Will he be able to reach out to the Turtles in time? All this plus the long awaited story of the alien Utrom race!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
A new mini-series focusing on the most cosmic villains in the TMNT universe!
From writer Paul Allor (TMNT Micro: Fugitoid, Shredder) and artist Andy Kuhn (TMNT #13-16)
Variant Cover by Kevin Eastman!

Apparently Remender doesn't read the solicitations. He tweeted this link and said it comes out in January.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48573

Haha, oops. And then someone asked him about that, and he still said he thought it was January... but every sign points to that being wrong. Virtually all the companies solicit trades a couple months earlier than floppies. Everything else on Dark Horse's list is for March too.

Everyone seems to love Hawkeye. I got issue #13 today , didn't quite know what was going on. Lol so I ordered vol.1 tpb, got me interested.

Also ordered Battle of the Atom #3-#8 looking forward to getting caught up on that

Top 5 comics of the week.

5. Batman Superman
4. Batman and Two Face
3. X-Files Season 10
1. Justice League of America
1. Superior Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom