• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 5 comics of the week.

5. Batman Superman
4. Batman and Two Face
3. X-Files Season 10
1. Justice League of America
1. Superior Spider-Man

Glad to see X-Files working for people in comic form. This show's formula made it tailor-made for serialized 'tooning. Book deserved to see daylight.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait what? I thought DC had some kind of ownership of the Spirit License?

Current status of The Spirit license is really confusing because there have been very conflicting statements, but I don't think DC has ever owned it. They just licensed the character from Will Eisner Studios.

Last December, Dan Didio said DC no longer had Doc Savage, The Spirit or The Avenger, and that he hoped another publisher would get those guys back into print. Shortly after, the Eisner estate's agent said DC did retain rights to archival material.

But then when this Spirit/Rocketeer book was announced, the press release and IDW people all said it was in collaboration with DC. This was a report from the announcement at Wondercon in March:

Goldstein added that this is indeed a crossover with DC Comics, which they’ve done before, and that DC still has the Spirit character despite not having used him in a while. Waid teased additional things in the works at IDW, saying, “We shook hands on something that I’ve been wanting to tackle for six or seven years.”

And the preview for issue two still says it's presented by IDW and DC, although DC's never mentioned at all in any of the credits or legal references. I'm really not sure what their involvement is at all.

That's my understanding...

Glad to see X-Files working for people in comic form. This show's formula made it tailor-made for serialized 'tooning. Book deserved to see daylight.

First arc was pretty good. It may be the most immersive comic I read just because I can apply the voices and mannerisms in my head as I read. I really feel like I'm watching an episode of the show. It's probably the closest thing to reading the story boards of a motion picture development.

Nudull

Banned

Funny, I just decided to try out the first three issues just now, and it is good. As someone who never even seen the show before, that saying something.

Nudull

Banned
Whoa, and did you understand it for the most part?

Of course, there was some stuff from the previous canon that flew over my head, but the first arc so far explained itself enough to start it's story from the get-go and keep my attention. All the stuff that was going on (whether I understood it or not) very much pulled me in, for the most part.

Messi

Everyone seems to love Hawkeye. I got issue #13 today , didn't quite know what was going on. Lol so I ordered vol.1 tpb, got me interested.

Also ordered Battle of the Atom #3-#8 looking forward to getting caught up on that

Good choice, bro.

Finished reading Death of the Family. Really dug it, Snyder really seems to know what he is doing with the characters. Also joker is awesome. Nearly all caught up now, can't wait to see what this awesome double sized zero year issue you guys were all hot for a week or two ago is about.

Man, Batwoman really continues to be an unsympathetic character. She has effectively become a Villain now. I don't get it. What were they going for? I mean, I'm rooting for Batman to put her down, which isn't good as she is the main of this title.

Hopefully the new writer does something to fix this shit.

Messi

Man, Batwoman really continues to be an unsympathetic character. She has effectively become a Villain now. I don't get it. What were they going for? I mean, I'm rooting for Batman to put her down, which isn't good as she is the main of this title.

Hopefully the new writer does something to fix this shit.

I wonder where they would have gone with it if they are allowed finish their arc. Then again I can't think of many times someone has faced Batman and I've wanted them to win.

Eldren

Pretty good haul of trades this week! Not that I've even read any of the others I've bought for the last couple of months. (I think I have a problem.)

Manhattan Projects 1 - lots of hype on here, Hickman seems like a cool writer, love Jordie Bellaire's colours, cool concept. I think it's something I'll enjoy.

Morning Glories 5 - 4 ended with quite a cliffhanger so I had a quick peek at the first issue of Season Two as they're calling it and yeah, I can't wait to dig into this.

Fatale - decided to jump on this after hearing some good things. I really like the art and the the story bits I've read so far are fun so I'm on board. Also I don't know if anyone else here is reading it in trades, but I love the white border on the cover. It looks great.

Thor: God Of Thunder 2 (Godbomb) - I forgot I'd preordered this ages ago haha. More Esad Ribic greatness. Trying not spoil myself on this one too much so I've not really flicked through any of the issues yet.

The Black Beetle - oh my god this book is so beautiful. I love Francesco's art so much. The wraparound cover is great, everything about it looks so great. Looks like it's got a bunch of extras packed in as well which is nice.

I wonder where they would have gone with it if they are allowed finish their arc. Then again I can't think of many times someone has faced Batman and I've wanted them to win.

Probably a holding action with her holding her own (lol) until they both team up and fight Bones.

She just comes across as selfish. She helps psychopaths let loose on the streets of Gotham, messing innocent people up, all to protect herself, her father and her lover.

Bette continues to be awesome though. Book is better if you pretend she is the main character.

New TMNT mini starts in January.

qD2bMWJ.jpg

Haha, oops. And then someone asked him about that, and he still said he thought it was January... but every sign points to that being wrong. Virtually all the companies solicit trades a couple months earlier than floppies. Everything else on Dark Horse's list is for March too.
I would really cherish a Neutrino spinoff. I think I could elevate those brahs given the opportunity.

Blader

Probably a holding action with her holding her own (lol) until they both team up and fight Bones.

She just comes across as selfish. She helps psychopaths let loose on the streets of Gotham, messing innocent people up, all to protect herself, her father and her lover.

Bette continues to be awesome though. Book is better if you pretend she is the main character.

DiDio was right all along!

Messi

From what I have read I would say I have to agree with you. She comes across as incredibly selfish and childish. Maybe the new writer will be able to do something different with her.

I found Hawkeye #13 kind of confusing. After the month break, the time-skipping where previous issues took place in between pages seemed awkward.

Three was really good, surprised it didn't get much pre-buzz since it is written by a on the cusp supertsar and a premiere artist in Ryan Kelly. Meanwhile Pretty Deadly has recieved more buzz and Kelly Sue hasn't written a good comic unless you count the issues of FF she ghostwrote....

From what I have read I would say I have to agree with you. She comes across as incredibly selfish and childish. Maybe the new writer will be able to do something different with her.

DiDio was right all along!

Heh. I'm not against marriage or heroes finding happiness. But I will admit, I go to cape books looking to read about people doing the right thing no matter what it costs them in the long run. When it came to Batwoman, I initially liked that she seemed a little more "human" if only because it was something different. But over time she hasn't really grown or changed in any meaningful way. Bette, however, has. And at this point she is why I am still into the book (besides the good art).

---

Batgirl was good. I'm glad that
Ricky isn't dead. Yet.

Also really enjoyed Rogue's Rebellion. Going to be fun seeing what comes next.

tim1138

Three was really good, surprised it didn't get much pre-buzz since it is written by a on the cusp supertsar and a premiere artist in Ryan Kelly. Meanwhile Pretty Deadly has recieved more buzz and Kelly Sue hasn't written a good comic unless you count the issues of FF she ghostwrote....

You didn't like her story in the Vertigo Witching Hour anthology?

You didn't like her story in the Vertigo Witching Hour anthology?
Iwhat makes you think I read the witching hour brah? It was alright, not a short story fan, they all have the same cadence.

Marvel has abandoned 2.99. Do i have to reset my password to get rid of all these errors?

Marvel has abandoned 2.99. Do i have to reset my password to get rid of all these errors?

I think everyone on GAF has to reset their password. I thought they were sending out the requests in batches though.

Read all of Phonogram last night. I enjoyed it, even though I'm not much of a music person. Liked the format of The Singles Club (presumably Young Avengers Afterparty will be like this?) but preferred Rue Britannia overall. Well worth the money though.

Acid08

Banned
Six Gun Gorilla #5 was insane and beautiful. Heartfelt. Going to need to read it a couple more times to really grasp the nuances.

Nudull

Banned
I'm pretty late with this, but Afterlife with Archie #1 was beautifully moody and fun. The art alone helps to make this as unnervingly creepy as possible where it counts, and the updating of the Riverdale kids worked pretty well (although
the Betty vs. Veronica scenes did make me cringe, but seeing Sabrina and Salem was cool
). It'll be interesting to see how this goes as an ongoing, but I'm definitely hooked so far.

Can you guys recommend some comics podcasts? I've been listening to Comicvine for years, but I want something whete they talk more about the week's comics and news. Tony just spends too much time bullshitting and answering dumb fan questions.

Can you guys recommend some comics podcasts? I've been listening to Comicvine for years, but I want something whete they talk more about the week's comics and news. Tony just spends too much time bullshitting and answering dumb fan questions.

Cape Crisis
Death of Comics
Comic Conspiracy

I listened to CV for a few months before stopping. It's ok and consistent but they're just boring and dull to listen to. I used to listen to IGN Assemble (if you're ok with skypecasts) and also iFanboy occasionally and i liked them alright, both talk a lot about the week's books. I think Assemble might be over now though. Cape Crisis is pretty fun for general news and such.

Word Balloon is good for interviews sometimes but I know that's not really what you're looking for

So I've been trying to catch up on The Walking Dead and (volume 17 spoilers)
holy shit at Glenn dying. I knew it was coming one day since he's such a good and likable guy, but it was still quite heartbreaking nonetheless. And Negan is hilarious, but so damn terrifying. "So I'm now going to beat the holy fuck fucking fuckedy fuck out of one of you with my bat".
Yeah that's gonna stick with me.

I need to go to bed, but I wanna read volume 18 sooooo bad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Justin Jordan, Kyle Strahm and Felipe Sobreiro teased a potential series, Spread, at NYCC with a dozen pages. The elevator pitch is "Lone Wolf and Cub in a world eaten by John Carpenter’s The Thing." They hadn't pitched it around at all up to previewing it at the con. Seems potentially pretty cool to me. Jordan says if it became a series he has about 50 issues worth of story in mind at the moment.

JAauE4I.jpg

Comics Alliance has an interview with Jordan and Strahm about it. You can download the teaser here for another 5 days.

Feels like it'd be a good fit for Image, with all the horror-type material they publish. Plus Jordan already has Luther Strode over there.

10/23 List

CATWOMAN #24
JUSTICE LEAGUE #24
RED LANTERNS #24
PRETTY DEADLY #1
RAT QUEENS #2
SEX CRIMINALS #2
VELVET #1
SUPERIOR CARNAGE #4
ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #28

Star Wars Legacy II #8

All-Star Western #24
Aquaman #24
Beware The Batman #1
Flash #24
Justice League #24
Justice League Dark #24
Larfleeze #4
Red Lanterns #24

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles New Animated Adventures #4
Rat Queens #2
Sex Criminals #2

Daredevil #32
FF #13
Uncanny Avengers #13
Wolverine And The X-Men #37

Journey into Mystery Superior Sif edition vol 2 aka Everybody sucks! f yo comics aka suck it Marvel aka Leaving some room next to these for some trades of a cancelled She-Hulk comic next year aka bummer

tm24

A good week for me

Aquaman #24
Flash #24
Justice League #24
Talon #12
Unwritten #54

Rocketeer Spirit Pulp Friction #2

Daredevil #32
FF #13
Indestructible Hulk #14
Secret Avengers #10
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #28
Uncanny Avengers #13
Wolverine And The X-Men #37
Young Avengers #11

Also, for those with Pokemon, if you want to add me, 4983-5096-5352

List for 10/23

Massive #16
Rat Queens #2
Sex Criminals #2
Daredevil #32

Holy crap, Is that really all I have this week?! In that case, I'll probably grab Velvet #1 and Pretty Deadly #1 as well.

For Dude requesting podcast recs: My favs are Silence! and, at a distance second place, iFanboy. I want to love 11 o'clock comics but there is one dude on there who irritates the hell out of me. I like The Comics Alternative for their previews episodes, because they focus on alt/indie comics and I like to be tipped off as to good indie stuffs on the horizon. I like the Comic Geek Speak episodes that discuss previews and their "off the racks" episodes, as well. Wait, What? and House to Astonish are ok, too.

Is anyone else enjoying Buzzkill? Pretty good so far. Kind of bummed its only going to be four issues.

I really like Buzzkill. Neat concept and the story is being told at a good pace. It does indeed seem to have the legs to be an ongoing.

kswiston

Lists:

- Justice League #24
- Daredevil #32
- FF #13 (even though I am 2-3 months behind)
- Uncanny Avengers #13
- Wolverine and the X-Men #37
- Young Avengers #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom