• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Lists 'n stuff.

Powerpuff Girls Classics, Vol. 1
Star Trek TNG/Doctor Who Complete HC
---
Army of Darkness/Re-Animator one-shot
Beware the Batman #1
Marvel Now What?! #1
Mega Man #30
Pretty Deadly #1
Rat Queens #2
Samurai Jack #1
TMNT New Animated Adventures #4
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #28
Venom #42
Young Avengers #11

Marvel:
Daredevil #32
Infinity: The Hunt #3 of 4
Marvel Now What? #1
Savage Wolverine #10
Uncanny Avengers #13
Wolverine and the X-Men #37 (Battle of the Atom 9 of 10)
Young Avengers #11

DC:
DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe #2 of 6
Justice League #24
The Unwritten #54 (Vertigo)

Others:
Army of Darkness/Re-Animator One-Shot (Dynamite)
The Spider #15 (Dynamite)
Doctor Who Ongoing #14 (IDW)
Rocketeer/The Spirit: Pulp Friction #2 of 4 (IDW)
Pretty Deadly #1 (Image)
Sex Criminals #2 (Image)

October 23rd Pull List:

Bravest Warriors #13
Daredevil #32
FF #13
Indestructible Hulk #14
Iron Man #17
Nova #9
Pretty Deadly #1
Samurai Jack #1
Sex Criminals #2
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5
The Flash #24
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #28
Uncanny Avengers #13
Velvet #1
Wolverine And The X-Men #37
Young Avengers #11

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just read this month transformers mtmte and I realized the reason I like it is because of how similar it was to Abnett and Lannings GotG comics.

On the flip I'm watching this justice league episode "death of Superman" and I just realized DC basically stole the time displacement plot from it for the death of Batman plot

Ephidel

bZvHEBm.png
DC vs Masters of the Universe #2
Great Pacific #11
Infinity #5 (30 Oct)
Justice League #24
Larfleeze #4
Marvel Now What #1
The Massive #16
Mind MGMT #16
Pretty Deadly #1
Rat Queens #2
Sex Criminals #2
Velvet #1
Wolverine and the X-Men #37
Young Avengers #11
2000AD Prog.1855

Also, for those with Pokemon, if you want to add me, 4983-5096-5352
4098-3553-3463. I haven't got very far yet though :)

DC vs Masters of the Universe #2
Great Pacific #11
Infinity #5 (30 Oct)
Justice League #24
Larfleeze #4
Marvel Now What #1
The Massive #16
Mind MGMT #16
Pretty Deadly #1
Rat Queens #2
Sex Criminals #2
Velvet #1
Young Avengers #11
2000AD Prog.1855

4098-3553-3463. I haven't got very far yet though :)

...is that a New 52 version of Grey Skull?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Comixology has been completely fucked since the update.
When I finally got Avengers Arena 16 to start downloading it took over four hours on an 18Mbps connection. I've only gotten one other comic (an issue of Archer and Armstrong) to download the entire time since the update.

So it looks like Nico
came back all Pet Sematary
Hopeless is trollin' Runaways fans hard, lol.
Good issue, but I could have done a better job drawing it.

Comixology has been completely fucked since the update.
When I finally got Avengers Arena 16 to start downloading it took over four hours on an 18Mbps connection. I've only gotten one other comic (an issue of Archer and Armstrong) to download the entire time since the update.

So it looks like Nico
came back all Pet Sematary
Hopeless is trollin' Runaways fans hard, lol.

Okay, so it's not just me. I've been trying to download New Avengers #11 for the past two hours.

List! Featuring clickable previews for the number 1s.

Pretty Deadly #1
Rat Queens #2
Velvet #1

Etc.
Dark Horse Presents #29
Numbercruncher #4 (Titan. I'm excited for the final chapter of this mini by Simon Spurrier. Hopefully such a smart, thought-provoking story will live on in trade for others to discover)
Zombie War #1 of 2 (IDW. This is a 20 year old story by TMNT creator Kevin Eastman. I'm not a big TMNT person but I'm a discriminating zombie fan and the preview tickled my fancy)

I was gonna get the Army of Darkness/Reanimator one-shot but I took a look at this 5 page preview and decided to pass.

Messi

I feel really dumb having to ask this but I find myself confused about the bat family in DC books. I just finished Batman #20 and I am confused about a few things. Please remember I only got back into comics with the new 52 and it's the biggest reason I am struggling this. Spoilers abound I suppose but please try not to spoil after #20

I am only reading Batman/Batgirl and Batwoman right now but I also have the trade of Batman and Robin. In the issues following death in the family I assumed Batman was going all out fighting crime because he was mad about joker but in #19 and #20 it becomes clear that Damian (who I assume was robin) has died. But this never happened in the Batman book. He was alive in death of the family no? Someone was Robin.

I am really confused as to who Robin is, who nightwing is and who red hood is. I gathered fairly easy who batgirl is.

Would the Robin issue be cleared up by me reading Batman and Robin? Maybe that's why I've seen issues of Batman and various people in the store.

Then confusing me further is this new girl tracking Batman in Requiem who I am meant to believe is trying to become the new Robin since Damian is dead?

I am sorry that this all sounds so random. Its just a bit daunting trying to catch up and any help you guys give me would be greatly appreciated. :)

Dick Grayson is 1st robin and now Nightwing.

Jason Todd was Robin but killed by the Joker and brought back to life by Ras and came back as the Red Hood.

Tim Drake is Robin but moved on to be with the Titans.

Damian Wayne was Robin and Bruce's engineered son. Killed in Batman Incorporated.

The girl has been Robin before in other stories pre new 52 but has not officially been Robin yet.

Batman in the new 52 has been busy with the current Justice League, Trinity War, Forever Evil stuff. That's why they are doing an Origin story now so that stuff can play out.

Finally read my issue of Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #1 (Dark Horse) from last Wednesday. I really enjoyed it. Click here for a preview. It's about a former cop guy that's all big and strong and he's been in jail but he's on work release to help the FBI fight super-powered bad guys. I really like him- the protagonist. And they've got a good dynamic going with him and his female partner. It seems to be a redemption type story, but that's like, the under current, not the main focus. I encourage you guys to check it out!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My list this week:

Superior Spider-Man #20
Daredevil #32
FF #13
Superior Spider-Man Team Up #5
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #28
Indestructible Hulk #14
Iron Man #17
Savage Wolverine #10
The Unwritten #54

Good week!

Edit: Oh wait, is Wolverine and the X-Men part of Battle of the Atom? If so, that too.

I feel really dumb having to ask this but I find myself confused about the bat family in DC books. I just finished Batman #20 and I am confused about a few things. Please remember I only got back into comics with the new 52 and it's the biggest reason I am struggling this. Spoilers abound I suppose but please try not to spoil after #20

I am only reading Batman/Batgirl and Batwoman right now but I also have the trade of Batman and Robin. In the issues following death in the family I assumed Batman was going all out fighting crime because he was mad about joker but in #19 and #20 it becomes clear that Damian (who I assume was robin) has died. But this never happened in the Batman book. He was alive in death of the family no? Someone was Robin.

I am really confused as to who Robin is, who nightwing is and who red hood is. I gathered fairly easy who batgirl is.

Would the Robin issue be cleared up by me reading Batman and Robin? Maybe that's why I've seen issues of Batman and various people in the store.

Then confusing me further is this new girl tracking Batman in Requiem who I am meant to believe is trying to become the new Robin since Damian is dead?

I am sorry that this all sounds so random. Its just a bit daunting trying to catch up and any help you guys give me would be greatly appreciated. :)

Damian Wayne, the son of Talia and Bruce and aged very quickly in a lab was the current Robin. He was killed a few months back in Batman Inc, by another one of Talia's creations. They used the other Bat books, including Batman and Robin, to deal with Bruce's grief over losing his son.

Koruptdata hit most of it but I think the woman you're talking about is Harper Row. We don't know what their plans for her are yet. The Woman I think Korupt is talking about is Carrie Kelley, who was Robin in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. It would seem she's making appearances in the regular DC Universe now as well. So there are two women who the writers are hinting at becoming Robin. Though my bet is that Harper Row becomes the new Oracle, and Carrie Kelley becomes the new Robin.

Incase you were wondering Oracle was the name that Barbara Gordon took on when she was helping Bruce at her computer. In the old DC Universe Barbara gets shot and paralyzed by the Joker, stuck in a wheel chair she still wants to help. Turns out shes like a super genius when it comes to computers and programming so she provides assistance to Bruce that way. Which is what I think they're grooming Harper to be next, but we shall see.

Messi

Dick Grayson is 1st robin and now Nightwing.

Jason Todd was Robin but killed by the Joker and brought back to life by Ras and came back as the Red Hood.

Tim Drake is Robin but moved on to be with the Titans.

Damian Wayne was Robin and Bruce's engineered son. Killed in Batman Incorporated.

The girl has been Robin before in other stories pre new 52 but has not officially been Robin yet.

Batman in the new 52 has been busy with the current Justice League, Trinity War, Forever Evil stuff. That's why they are doing an Origin story now so that stuff can play out.

Damian Wayne, the son of Talia and Bruce and aged very quickly in a lab was the current Robin. He was killed a few months back in Batman Inc, by another one of Talia's creations. They used the other Bat books, including Batman and Robin, to deal with Bruce's grief over losing his son.

Koruptdata hit most of it but I think the woman you're talking about is Harper Row. We don't know what their plans for her are yet. The Woman I think Korupt is talking about is Carrie Kelley, who was Robin in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. It would seem she's making appearances in the regular DC Universe now as well. So there are two women who the writers are hinting at becoming Robin. Though my bet is that Harper Row becomes the new Oracle, and Carrie Kelley becomes the new Robin.

Incase you were wondering Oracle was the name that Barbara Gordon took on when she was helping Bruce at her computer. In the old DC Universe Barbara gets shot and paralyzed by the Joker, stuck in a wheel chair she still wants to help. Turns out shes like a super genius when it comes to computers and programming so she provides assistance to Bruce that way. Which is what I think they're grooming Harper to be next, but we shall see.

Thanks for this. It just seemed so out of the blue when he was just grieving for no reason. I guess I need to catch up on the other books.

Is the new Guardians of the Galaxy book worth picking up?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

None of this is spoilers dude :)

Damian was Robin and he died in Batman Inc at the end of the big story that Morrison had been doing. He was Morrison's character and his death was very much tied into that plot. Currently the Batman and Robin story is Peter Tomasi taking all of the scraps left over from Morrison's run (Damian is dead, Bats is trying to bring him back) and making a story out of them. So if you want unhinged depressed Batman doing the boo-hoos, then that is the book for you my friend.

Timeline wise (although it really doesn't matter), Damian died shortly after Death of the Family, so that Clayface story is set just after Damian's death.

Nightwing is Dick Grayson, he was the very first Robin. There have been 4(?) robins - Dick Grayson, Jason Todd (now Red Hood), Tim Drake (now Red Robin) and Damian Wayne (now dead). Batgirl is Babara Gordon.

The new girl tracking Batman was Harper Row. She is a brand new character from Scott Snyder's Batman run. She might become Robin, but fanboy rage might have stopped that coming to pass now. Right now, she's just a concerned 'friend' of Batman.

in some ways, this is part of the danger of a shared universe with several books for one character, and DC's need to have all the books reflect what's happening, I can certainly see it being confusing for new or sporadic readers.

/beaten!

Death in the List.

Aquaman #24
Batman The Dark Knight #24
Catwoman #24
Flash #24
Justice League #24
Justice League Dark #24
Red Lanterns #24
Superman #24
Teen Titans #24

Samurai Jack #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arkon

Thanks for this. It just seemed so out of the blue when he was just grieving for no reason. I guess I need to catch up on the other books.

Is the new Guardians of the Galaxy book worth picking up?

If you've been reading Batman since the first issue then you should know about Nightwing and Robin. It's there in that first issue, when he's trying out his facial recognition software. It tells you in the caption boxes who Tim Drake, Damian Wayne and Dick Grayson are. I don't know if Red Hood is mentioned in later issues, because I haven't followed the main Batman book in a while

As for the bolded part, I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole. Well, not unless you enjoy reading the other books. The big story beats will probably all be happening in Snyder and Capullo's Batman title. All of the crossover stuff has spiralled out of that book. The Damian thing was a one off as part of Grant Morrison's Batman Inc finale.

Marvel Comics
Daredevil #32
FF #13
Indestructible Hulk #14 (my last issue)
Uncanny Avengers #13
Young Avengers #11

DC Comics
...Any non- New52 trades of interest out lately?

Image Comics
Pretty Deadly #1
Satellite Sam #4
Sex Criminals #2
Velvet #1

Dark Horse Comics
Conan and the People of the Black Circle #1

IDW Publishing
Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction #2
Samurai Jack #1

What a week! :D

Guys I think there is too much DC talk; you can tell when Spike begins his passive aggressive trolling.
Curses, foiled again! I'll have to work harder to earn those delicious tears!

athQaNg.gif

Pocket-sized digest of Adventures of Superman stories out next week, I looked it up.

Never powted a list before.

Massive 16
Mind MGMT 16
Aquaman 24
Batman TDK 24
Flash 24
Green Team 6
Justice league 24
JLD 24
Larfleeze 4
Red Lanterns 24
Talon 12